General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Australian Open

Old
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I look at this season as Murray's (continuing?) breakout. He got a big gorilla off his back last year and I think he surpasses Federer this season.

I'm skeptical of Nadal being able to maintain his health enough to make such a run at #2. Not completely discounting it though.
It's a shame they weren't all a bit closer in age and that Rafa wasn't healthier. Right now Djok is clearly #1 and I would put Andy at #2. Roger and Rafa will be fighting it out for #3 and 4 but we'll have to see how Rafa handles his return.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Won't be too long before Murray is the world #2.
Will be a while yet. Murray will likely have to do better than Federer in all Grand Slams this year.

Even if Murray wins on Sunday he'll be I think around 900 points behind Federer.

Would love for Murray to one day be number one but that won't happen. Djokovic to win on Sunday in 4 sets. 7-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
kihei

vCash: 179
Azarenka over Li, but, sweet jesus, I hope I am wrong.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
While I agree that it's still too early and Murray is basically one of perhaps 2 guys playing right now that can beat Nole, Djoker just seems too good right now, he thrives in being down 1 or 2 sets etc and Murray's not as tough mentally, even though he's def. improved and we shall see which Murray comes out in the final, I actually want him to win. You're also right about Federer and Murray being favorites in Wilbendon, but I think that just has more to do with history from Federer and Murray being British...as for Roland Garros at this point we'll just have to wait and see how Nadal comes back, but I'm doubtful how he comes back, a knee injury can be very difficult to return from and play as you did before and like Federer Nadal's favoriteness in RG is historic because presently Nole should be favorite for everything
No, Nole shouldn't be the favorite for everything. Murray and Federer would be favorites at Wimbledon because they're better natural grass court players and both beat him in their only match with him last year. The lower, more irregular bounce rewards those other two guys and detracts from Nole's game. Murray has way more variety in his baseline game than Nole and it shows on grass. We've seen a number of dominant seasons in recent memory, but we've also seen how difficult it is to win four straight slam events. This is Nole's best surface and he hasn't played anyone yet who could really beat him. It's still way too premature to talk about a Grand Slam. There's no telling what his form will be like even in a month - much less four of five.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Will be a while yet. Murray will likely have to do better than Federer in all Grand Slams this year.

Even if Murray wins on Sunday he'll be I think around 900 points behind Federer.

Would love for Murray to one day be number one but that won't happen. Djokovic to win on Sunday in 4 sets. 7-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
Well, if Murray does win on Sunday, he has a reasonable chance of passing Fed near the US Open (it's still possible to do it well before then, and even with a loss). He has quite a few average Masters results that can be improved upon. Also didn't win a 1000 last year which I would expect him to do this year. That being said the Olympic points come off so he needs to win one.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Prediction: Murray in five sets, but I hope I'm wrong.

Novak will be a little rusty combined with the fact that Murray was so close last year. I also think Murray just wants it more. Novak is certainly the better player and should beat him, if both are playing at their absolute best.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Do you like how the semis aren't on the same day at the Australian Open?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Well, if Murray does win on Sunday, he has a reasonable chance of passing Fed near the US Open (it's still possible to do it well before then, and even with a loss). He has quite a few average Masters results that can be improved upon. Also didn't win a 1000 last year which I would expect him to do this year. That being said the Olympic points come off so he needs to win one.
And more importantly, Federer has a number of wins - Dubai, Indian Wells, Rotterdam, Madrid, and Wimbledon - which he'll be hard-pressed to defend in their entirety.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Do you like how the semis aren't on the same day at the Australian Open?
It's a head shaker to me. I guess they like to do things a little differently down under.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

I wish every slam had Friday semifinals and Sunday finals. It's by far the most sensible arrangement.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
No, Nole shouldn't be the favorite for everything. Murray and Federer would be favorites at Wimbledon because they're better natural grass court players and both beat him in their only match with him last year. The lower, more irregular bounce rewards those other two guys and detracts from Nole's game. Murray has way more variety in his baseline game than Nole and it shows on grass. We've seen a number of dominant seasons in recent memory, but we've also seen how difficult it is to win four straight slam events. This is Nole's best surface and he hasn't played anyone yet who could really beat him. It's still way too premature to talk about a Grand Slam. There's no telling what his form will be like even in a month - much less four of five.
You're basically saying what I said lol your reasons for Wimbledon and RG are exactly for the reason I mentioned, historic reasons... I already noted how its early and how Murray and Feds are the only guys capable of beating him, but Nole just seems too strong at the moment tbh, keeps on this way and as I said this could be Nole's best chance to win all 4. Mainly due to the fact that I think he's better than Murray, Nadal won't challenge RG, and Federer is in decline. With that said, hope Murray wins.

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

In exchange for the unfair two days off advantage before the Final for one of the finalists at the Aussie, the other 3 slams do give two days off to two quarterfinal winners before the semifinals. But then in the semis at the US, the player that won the second semifinal match has the worst disadvantage since he has less than 24 hours to recover before the final match the next day (barring a Monday match, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
I wish every slam had Friday semifinals and Sunday finals. It's by far the most sensible arrangement.
I heard the US is changing their schedule this year. Either Semis on Friday and Final on Sunday or Semis on Saturday and Final on Monday.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
You're basically saying what I said lol your reasons for Wimbledon and RG are exactly for the reason I mentioned, historic reasons... I already noted how its early and how Murray and Feds are the only guys capable of beating him, but Nole just seems too strong at the moment tbh, keeps on this way and as I said this could be Nole's best chance to win all 4. Mainly due to the fact that I think he's better than Murray, Nadal won't challenge RG, and Federer is in decline. With that said, hope Murray wins.
No, like I said, "history" is only one side of it, albeit an important one. Reasoning by induction is one of the most reliable methods of prediction in tennis since relative to other sports, little changes in each competitor from year to year.

But, as I also said, Federer and Murray are better natural grass court players - that is, their playing styles and abilities right now are better suited to a grass court irrespective of their "history" with Djokovic. Nadal's current game when "healthy" - whatever that means for him - is better suited to most kinds of clay court.

You're welcome to your opinion. In my view the odds of him winning a calendar slam this year are very very slim.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
reckoning

Had to leave for work this morning with the match in the fourth set; and despite how close the score was, I feared Roger wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I'm starting to think that maybe there won't be any more Grand Slams for him. Or that it can only happen with the other three of the Big 4 all running into bad luck at the same tournament. With every subsequent Grand Slam, I'm still going to be passionately hoping he can win one last one, but maybe last years Wimbledon was it.

I don't know as much as you guys about the finer points of the game to really analyze his play. But it seemed to me back in 2011 that his problems were mental. Losing the matches to Tsonga and Djokovic where he was up by 2 sets looked like a case of an athlete losing his killer instinct and not being able to turn the momentum around after losing a pivotal game.

Over the last year though, he seems to have gotten over that. He looks to have his old intensity, and isn't noticeably giving up on points. But he still looked almost outclassed by Murray at some moments this morning. Maybe age is starting to catch up with him. He's still one of the games top players, but 31 is almost ancient in tennis.

I just find it so sad. I absolutely love the guy. He brought me back to being a tennis fan after I slowly started to lose interest in the game.

On the bright side, he does seem to be enjoying himself on the court more now than ever, and he doesn't look to be retiring any time soon. The fans everywhere adore him. He's going to be one of those magical figures in a sport whose presence will always have a mystique no matter where he appears, similar to Gretzky, Nicklaus, Pele etc.

It's just depressing seeing somebody much younger than myself starting to age.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I heard the US is changing their schedule this year. Either Semis on Friday and Final on Sunday or Semis on Saturday and Final on Monday.
The latter. It was another senseless decision by the USTA. Most people have to work on Monday.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Had to leave for work this morning with the match in the fourth set; and despite how close the score was, I feared Roger wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I'm starting to think that maybe there won't be any more Grand Slams for him. Or that it can only happen with the other three of the Big 4 all running into bad luck at the same tournament. With every subsequent Grand Slam, I'm still going to be passionately hoping he can win one last one, but maybe last years Wimbledon was it.

I don't know as much as you guys about the finer points of the game to really analyze his play. But it seemed to me back in 2011 that his problems were mental. Losing the matches to Tsonga and Djokovic where he was up by 2 sets looked like a case of an athlete losing his killer instinct and not being able to turn the momentum around after losing a pivotal game.

Over the last year though, he seems to have gotten over that. He looks to have his old intensity, and isn't noticeably giving up on points. But he still looked almost outclassed by Murray at some moments this morning. Maybe age is starting to catch up with him. He's still one of the games top players, but 31 is almost ancient in tennis.

I just find it so sad. I absolutely love the guy. He brought me back to being a tennis fan after I slowly started to lose interest in the game.

On the bright side, he does seem to be enjoying himself on the court more now than ever, and he doesn't look to be retiring any time soon. The fans everywhere adore him. He's going to be one of those magical figures in a sport whose presence will always have a mystique no matter where he appears, similar to Gretzky, Nicklaus, Pele etc.

He won two more Slams after I thought he was washed up. So never say never. But I think he would need a lot of help and the perfect storm to win another. I could feel it in the match last night--like it was Andy's show now, and Roger wasn't the lead anymore but the supporting actor. But I'll repeat what I stated a while ago back there. He still can play magically on occasion, and I hope we all savor those moments because there is so much about him that is irreplaceable, and I'm not talking about all the records. It's like enjoying the last sips of vintage wine.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post

For me it has been every bit as depressing to watch someone much older than myself age. To see him lose a step, lose the edge on his forehand.

This match didn't depress me however. It didn't strike me as a new low in his decline or make me wonder if he'll ever put it together again. I was thrilled at how tight he made it despite his quality of play, at the way he broke Murray back in the fourth and ran away with the tiebreak.

Many wrote him off after 2008 Wimbledon or after the 2009 Australian Open, or at some point in the two and a half years intervening between his two most recent victories. Some of those even profess to be his fans. Of course, some day they'll be right - there will be a last slam necessarily.

But given a half-favorable draw - which he didn't have here - on a favorable surface - which he also didn't have here - Federer can still put it together in the last week of a slam. This wasn't going to be it though - on a whole, his collective chances against Murray, Djokovic, and Nadal are worse in Australia than at any other slam. Murray's rise will narrow his possibilities further, but he can still win in the right conditions. He really can. Becker said it well: "I feel as long as he picks up the racquet, as long as he's healthy, he's always going to be one of the contenders."

Old
01-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

One reason why the AO is my favorite slam: the juniors' finals are televised. Kyrgios and Kokkinakis. I'm rooting for the latter.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Love the heckling towards Azarenka.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:00 AM
kihei

Got there three games late, and missed a trade of service breaks, but Li has just broken again for 3-1..on game point, Li makes a dumb play on a putaway overhead and is eventually broken again for four breaks in five games between the two; many points start promisingly and end in an unforced error (18 combined in the first 5 games), 3-2...and Li goes 3 for 3 on Vika's service game so far, 4-2...Li holds for 5-2 Azarenka has yet to win a point on her second serve....Li is going for her shots but she's missing more than she's making, 5-3...this is getting like a broken record as Li is broken (28 unforced errors combined in the set), 5-4...finally some patches of exciting, well played tennis as Li on her fourth break point of the game takes the set on a double fault from Vika. Maybe they will settle down in the second. Abysmal tennis, embarrassing set.

Naturally Azarenka starts the second set by breaking Li whose backhand is totally unreliable today, going consistently wide when she tries to hit it cross court or into the net when she tries to just keep the ball in play....2-0 Vika as Li continues to overdo the aggression at the expense of keeping the ball in play...another break for 3-0, as Li continues to struggle while Azarenka is settling down and playing much better tennis....well, so much for that theory as Vika makes a complete hash of her service game, 3-1....medical time out as Li twists her ankle during one of the few promising-looking games (relatively speaking)....Vika is 6/19 to this point in winners/unforced errors and has won 2 points on her second serve; Na is 16/26 and winning only 43% of her first serves....Li looks okay and holds for 2-3....Li misses an easy break opportunity with another awful backhand error and Vika goes back to playing good tennis to hold, 4-2...Li breaks again to even the match at 4-4 as Vika has dissipated her early lead....but not for long as Li does Vika a favor and blows her service game, Azarenka to serve for the set...and this stinker is going to a third.

Li starts the third with another awful service game--she doesn't have control of any shot at the moment, 1-0 Vika who double faults away her serve, 1-1...at 2-1 Li, another mysterious injury time out for Vika; nope, check that--they seem to be taking a time out in the middle of the match for a fireworks display ...lord, now Li has fallen hard on the back of her head--such a strange match, 2-2 after they resume play....so far 13 holds and 12 breaks in the match, as Vika goes up 4-2...and Vika, playing good tennis the rest of the way, takes the match. Well, that was a strange one.

Last edited by kihei: 01-26-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Garo

Man, it will be nice to watch two players holding serves tomo... Oh, Murray-Djokovic? Forget what I was saying.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Azarenka double faults.... LMFAO

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:42 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Man, it will be nice to watch two players holding serves tomo... Oh, Murray-Djokovic? Forget what I was saying.
Yeah, looking forward to another break-fest of a match. Just hoping it's a little more watchable than their two previous slam matches.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:56 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Damn

Old
01-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Garo