HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXXI

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
Given what exactly?

I'd argue that statement applies to the potential of a Karlsson/Subban pairing as well.

Also, it helps to note that both Karlsson and Subban play the right side. And as I stated play a dazzling style of game, putting them on the same line requires one to tone it down, why would you want to tell either player to not play to their strengths?
Subban (and Karlsson for that matter) are better defensively than what you give them credit for.

Karlsson isn't really a risky player. I don't really know what you mean by ''tone it down''. Like not take as many offensive chances?

Anyway, the skill level would be ridiculous and the ice would be tilted towards the offensive zone.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Karlsson - Subban would be a top 5 pairing.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:46 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Subban (and Karlsson for that matter) are better defensively than what you give them credit for.

Karlsson isn't really a risky player. I don't really know what you mean by ''tone it down''. Like not take as many offensive chances?

Anyway, the skill level would be ridiculous and the ice would be tilted towards the offensive zone.
Define risky.

Quote:
.. this thread is about the Sens acquiring Subban.

So yes, in this hypothetical situation the OP is referring to, yes they would be.
Than there was no need for you to reference other defemsove pairings than if this thread was about Subban/Karlsson...

Old
01-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I respectfully suggest you need to watch the B-Sens games more closely.

Weircoich has been very good defensively this season, from my observations probably as good as any D-man on the team.
From what I have seen so far Gryba has been much better defensively then the rest of the d men. Although I will try and watch Wiericoh more attentively in subsequent games at the AHL or NHL level. I've seen him make a handful of gaffs defensively but it is easy to overlook all the good plays a player is making if you aren't paying close enough attention to their play.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Not sure where to put this, but just heard that Lehner will try to become an RFA this summer on CBA technicality, forcing the Sens hand a little bit.

The 6th Sens will have a more extensive take on the blog tomorrow hopefully with Lehner quotes.
Where are you hearing this from?

Regardless from what I have seen in Bingo, he should be our number 1 goalie. I think that he should play the remainder of the season in Bingo and get a few callups and them be the number 1 guy next season. Then at the trade deadline this season the sens should move either anderson or Bishop.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:50 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Karlsson - Subban would be a top 5 pairing.
I challenge you to name 4 better ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Define risky.

Than there was no need for you to reference other defemsove pairings than if this thread was about Subban/Karlsson...
Risky: Jumping up into the play/leaving his position to play offense.

... you said the OP was smoking something good when he said Subban-Karlsson would be the best. Well, I challenged you to name a better one, and so far you haven't. Surprise me, please.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Not sure if there is.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
This
That

Quote:

I am not discrediting either of their defensive games.

If you have two defensman who like to jump up in the play you have the potential to leave open huge counterattacks, should a mistake be made. There were periods last season where that happened and it resulted in goals, or quality scoring chances, this was with a less offensively minded partner in Kuba. Add to this the fact the Subban does what it takes to be in the spotlight, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Subban wants to be the guy; right now, and hopefully in the future, Karlsson is the guy. That doesn't seem to be the best idea for a pairing.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Ceci will be in the AHL next year. He is already in his 19 year old season, while Cowen had his 18 and 19 year old seasons in the CHL after being drafted. We don't have to worry about the 9 game cut-off for Ceci next year like we did Cowen.
I didn't even think to look at their birthdays. I just went off when drafted and seasons that followed. My bad.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I didn't even think to look at their birthdays. I just went off when drafted and seasons that followed. My bad.
Ya I know what you mean, IMO its should go by draft year rather then an arbitrary cutoff date in September.

Old
This
That

Quote:

... you said the OP was smoking something good when he said Subban-Karlsson would be the best. Well, I challenged you to name a better one, and so far you haven't. Surprise me, please.
Many very good pairings have been named. The problem here is that you have already decided that it would be the best pairing, and as a result, no answer will change your mind.

You are asking us to find a pairing to compare to a hypothetical pairing that has never happened. A better judgement would be for you to find a past pairing that the hypothetical would compare to, and then maybe we could come up with a pairing that would challenge your mentally formed image of perfection.

Old
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Not sure if there is.
well there you go

Quote:
I am not discrediting either of their defensive games.

If you have two defensman who like to jump up in the play you have the potential to leave open huge counterattacks, should a mistake be made. There were periods last season where that happened and it resulted in goals, or quality scoring chances, this was with a less offensively minded partner in Kuba. Add to this the fact the Subban does what it takes to be in the spotlight, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Subban wants to be the guy; right now, and hopefully in the future, Karlsson is the guy. That doesn't seem to be the best idea for a pairing.
I think they are both smart enough to not jump into the play at the same time.

Karlsson is not super risky. And neither is Subban. They play their positions for the most part.

Their dazzling styles would not clash imo. They would just overpower people so to speak.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:57 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
oh yeah forgot about them
Face - Palm
they are great you're right
Theres at least 5 defenceman and maybe 10 better than Subban. Theres no way you can possibly say that these two would be the best defensive pairing.

Cue the 'list them please' but we're not allowed mentioning them because they're not on team our team, according to you.

You over exaggerate almost everything you say on here and it doesn't make sense.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:00 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Many very good pairings have been named. The problem here is that you have already decided that it would be the best pairing, and as a result, no answer will change your mind.

You are asking us to find a pairing to compare to a hypothetical pairing that has never happened. A better judgement would be for you to find a past pairing that the hypothetical would compare to, and then maybe we could come up with a pairing that would challenge your mentally formed image of perfection.
The only one that comes close is McD - Girardi.

Ignore that their names are Karlsson and Subban.

#1 D - Norris

#1 D - # 2 D (McD - Girardi)

#2 D - #3 D (Timonen - Coburn)

#2 D - #2 D (Vlasic - Burns)

Objectively, who is better?

Old
01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
This
That

Quote:
well there you go

I think they are both smart enough to not jump into the play at the same time.

Karlsson is not super risky. And neither is Subban. They play their positions for the most part.

Their dazzling styles would not clash imo. They would just overpower people so to speak.
I disagree, I think they would be much better split up, if they were on the same team. It would offer more to the team than loading up all the skill on one line.

I also believe that they would clash. So I'll leave it at that, as there is no where else to go with this.

Old
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:

Are you sure Karlsson is not risky (by your definition) as you say? Just because he usually is able to get back into position due to his speed doesn't mean he's not as risky as you say.

And Dan Girardi/Ryan McDonagh

EDIT: there was a poster who posted a bunch of pairings in the pages prior as well

Old
Pilgore88

Quote:

#1 D - Norris

But it isn't objective, you have just assigned the players arbitrary levels that suit your argument.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:03 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Theres at least 5 defenceman and maybe 10 better than Subban. Theres no way you can possibly say that these two would be the best defensive pairing.

Cue the 'list them please' but we're not allowed mentioning them because they're not on team our team, according to you.

You over exaggerate almost everything you say on here and it doesn't make sense.
So you're saying Subban is ~top 10?

These d-men would need to be on the same team.

Norris + top 10 D = best pair in the league. No other single team has 2 d-men that good.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
This
That

Quote:

#1 D - Norris

This doesn't answer my question.

I would also add that it has been proven in the past that loading up skill doesn't mean you are going to be the best, look at the summit series. A pure skill based team losses to a more well rounded team.

Look at our cup run in 07, we loaded up skill guys and got creamed by a more well rounded team.

It's not as simple as saying "oh they are the most skilled, they will destroy the competition" because that relies on the assumption that skill is unbeatable.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
If we are allowed to do hypothetical,

Edler/Karlsson

Old
01-10-2013, 11:08 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
So you're saying Subban is ~top 10?

These d-men would need to be on the same team.

Norris + top 10 D = best pair in the league. No other single team has 2 d-men that good.
No, I said theres maybe 10 defenceman better than Subban, possibly 15, 20 is a stretch and so on.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:11 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
I disagree, I think they would be much better split up, if they were on the same team. It would offer more to the team than loading up all the skill on one line.

I also believe that they would clash. So I'll leave it at that, as there is no where else to go with this.
Yeah the team could be better if they split up... because the Sens have Phillips and Cowen and what not.

but, if they were together, they could still be the best pairing in the league.

They're not Mike Greens. They're two-way d-men. They don't run wild out there, not even close. Therefore they wouldn't clash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Are you sure Karlsson is not risky (by your definition) as you say? Just because he usually is able to get back into position due to his speed doesn't mean he's not as risky as you say.

And Dan Girardi/Ryan McDonagh

EDIT: there was a poster who posted a bunch of pairings in the pages prior as well
A lot of Karlsson's offense comes from the blueline. His defensive lapses come from bad pivots, getting beat wide or being outmuscled.

They don't come from being nonchalant and only thinking Offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
But it isn't objective, you have just assigned the players arbitrary levels that suit your argument.
Ok. But I don't want people to judge based on their names and biases towards each player.

Individually the best d-men from that list are

Karlsson
McD
Subban
the rest

pretty clear who the best pairing is imo

Old
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
No, I said theres maybe 10 defenceman better than Subban, possibly 15, 20 is a stretch and so on.
You're doing this wrong, he is using the Norris as a measurement of Karlssons skill, so lets take a look at Norris voting to rate Subban.

Subban isn't top 20.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
BrawlFan

I'd love to get Brian Campbell out of Florida. Dude was my fav player in Chicago and would instantly make our defence better. What are the chances Florida trades him? It seems to me it will only happen if Luongo is coming in which I don't think is likely either.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:17 PM
This
That

Quote:
Yeah the team could be better if they split up... because the Sens have Phillips and Cowen and what not.

but, if they were together, they could still be the best pairing in the league.

They're not Mike Greens. They're two-way d-men. They don't run wild out there, not even close. Therefore they wouldn't clash.

The last thing I will say on this is:

You are asking us to be objective in rating the skill of two players, who have never played a shift together, being paired with one another.

I don't believe it's possible to objectively rate something of this nature on pure hypothesis.

Edit to respond:
Quote:
You want me to find a comparable pairing in terms of playing style, then evaluate how they performed, then compare that to McD-Gir?

Well sorry, I think that's next to impossible.
That's my point.

That is exactly what you are asking us to do with this hypothetical pairing.

Last edited by This: 01-10-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Closed Thread