Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send a message to Jacobs

Old
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Hit to Hurt

vCash: 500
Send a message to Jacobs

Like everyone here I am excited that hockey will soon be back. However, even with the thought of once again cheering for our beloved Bruins, I cannot shake the anger and frustration I feel over this last round of lockout insanity.

Like many fans I am enraged at the way the league and specifically
owner Jacobs treats hockey fans. He is a businessman, I understand, but he doesn't care if the revenue he generates comes from fans watching hockey or trained elephants..it's all the same to him.

I want to send a message to Jacobs, but I know that I can't do it alone. So I offer the following to you, the loyal Bruins fandom, to see if anyone feels the same.

Therefore my boycott solution is as follows.

Go to the games.

Cheer for the bruins

Enjoy the great game of hockey.

But once you enter that building, DO NOT SPEND A DIME!!!!!! That will get the attention of Mr. Jacobs.

Not one pretzel, not one hot dog...and as far as your beers are concerned, please be kind enough to tank up before and after the game at one of the local establishments that lost significant revenue during the lockout.

Imagine the look on Mr. Burns face when he calls for the total take after the first game at the garden and he's told, "Zero point zero!"

This is more effective than derogatory chants, which any despot worth his salt will simply ignore and hits him where it counts. With this boycott, we cheer on our team, enjoy the game AND send a message.

There is no professional hockey without a loyal fan base. I for one have grown tired of individuals with no love for the game, who focus solely on the bottom line.
I will buy my ticket, I will cheer my team, but I will not spend one more penny in that building.

At the moment, this is nothing but a revenge fantasy fueled by frustration, but what if....in the words of William Wallace, we had one chance, just one chance to let him FEEL our anger. Wouldn't at the very least, a one game boycott send a clear message to Jacobs that we have had enough.

What would you do without freedom? Will you fight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo

Hit to Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
patty59

For one game?

I you're going to do something, do it right.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

So let me get this straight. You want to go to the game and still give JJ money, just not as much as you normally would? Your plan seems kind of flawed to me...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Not interested in hurting my bartenders really.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

It'll be (hopefully) 10 years before the CBA expires.

Do you think he'll even remember a one game boycott?

Will he even be around?

If the CBA expired in one year, it may send a message. Not in 10 years.

If your a fan of the game, want to go, then go enjoy it and do what it is you normally do. If you're that ticked off, don't go then. That will send a sure message.

But I'm sure someone will be standing right behind you waiting for that ticket.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
So let me get this straight. You want to go to the game and still give JJ money, just not as much as you normally would? Your plan seems kind of flawed to me...
Well im sure some didn't want to give up their tickets and have them already payed for this year so they have no choice but to go.

I'm not from Boston but no more hockey trips for me for at least 2 years, no center ice package and memorabilia for a while. What ever Bruins game is on TSN, RDS and CBC is going to be all I watch this year

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
McBrom7
FIRE IT UP!!

Dear Mr. Jacobs,

Thank you,
Brett

Hockey time boys

McBrom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
DarrenBanks56

if they cancelled the season, I wouldve been pissed enough to do something like this.

But as it stands now, I'll be going to the games like nothing ever happened.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Let's not and say we did

Seriously, enough with the boycott this and that.

I am Boston Strong
6/15/11
4/15/13
10/30/13 | 2/1/15 | 2/5/17

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

I wish i could send a message.. kinda hard when i pay the man for season tickets. I should stop buying beers in there for general principle. I'll go to McCann's other bars before the game.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:02 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I wonder if Charlie Jacobs has any clue that his father just pissed away what little good will he had accumulated during the Cup run.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Therick67

Fans could always extend the middle finger to JJ's empty owners box.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:05 AM
ap3lovr

The real message won't be sent to the Bruins or Rangers or Leafs of the league. They will sell out games regardless. The real message will be sent to the teams that had a hard time getting gate revenue before the lockout. Teams like Columbus, Dallas, Pheonix, Anaheim, Carolina will likely see major drops in attendance. You can only move so many teams.

I think the cap number in year 3 is going to be the telling story. If hockey fans as a whole can reduce the overall revenue by 15-25% during that time, I think the league and players both get the message. I would have a real big smile on my face if in year 3 the cap ceiling dropped to 45-50 million because of decreased revenue.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Lordstanley
Bandwagonaire

I'm cheap ! ..... I load up before the game

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Neely08

Might have happened, and to a certain extent, it did, when we had a team that was a laughing stock.

Now we have a team most others are afraid of, that also wins Stanley Cups.

As pissed as I am at both the players and the owners, I also have two boys (4 and 6)who have the Bruins on the brain, like I did at their age. At this point, for me, it's a/b them, and I'm glad they can watch their team again.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Ratty

So, the owners and Jacobs, specifically, are soley responsible for this fiasco? And you're going to cheer the players, members of the Players Association, who wouldn't begin the negotiations until July? They're without blame?

And you would punish the long suffering Boston
Garden concession employees who depend on our tips to get by?

Strange.

But welcome to HF Boards where all opinions are welcome (I think).

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Why for one game, and why stop with JJ? Go the whole nine yards.

Eat before the game, don't buy beer at the game, bring in a water if you can, and stop buying NHL merch. Wear the team's colors in other ways and lay off the jerseys, hats and trinkets.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Therick67

If I go to a game, can I use the bathroom? or will that violate any 'ban'?

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Number8
Jacobs Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
The real message won't be sent to the Bruins or Rangers or Leafs of the league. They will sell out games regardless. The real message will be sent to the teams that had a hard time getting gate revenue before the lockout. Teams like Columbus, Dallas, Pheonix, Anaheim, Carolina will likely see major drops in attendance. You can only move so many teams.

I think the cap number in year 3 is going to be the telling story. If hockey fans as a whole can reduce the overall revenue by 15-25% during that time, I think the league and players both get the message. I would have a real big smile on my face if in year 3 the cap ceiling dropped to 45-50 million because of decreased revenue.
I think this is the right take on things. It's why Jacobs could afford to be such a hawk during this whole debacle. He knows that the Garden will be full and concessions will be fruitful.

However, the NHL and PA brain trust are going to have a hard time ignoring the empty barns in other parts of the league. I hope it gives them something to choke on.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
If I go to a game, can I use the bathroom? or will that violate any 'ban'?
I tend to tell people to stay away from the bathrooms anyways.. but if you do go it should be banned AFTER the period.. That would just be hilarious.. 300 dudes waiting to take a leak outside the bathroom.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

The only message Jacobs is getting from me is that he has me by the ***** because he owns my favorite team, and i'll be watching every game. Hell I'd buy a Bruins "I survived the lockout of 2012" shirt if they offer me one.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
DOGSTARMAN

I love when fans who have been deprived of the sport/entertainment they love by the owners and players plan revenge by denying themselves more of the sport/entertainment they love. I will punish myself to teach you a lesson.

How about if we just keep the lockout stuff in perspective, not overplay the hockey-fans-as-victims card, and just enjoy the game we've been waiting to watch. It wasn't exactly the end of the world, though of course it was a very annoying folly. Edit: Of course people who depended on the events and attendance, bars, arena workers, etc., those people dealt with an actual hardship; I'm just saying that fans should not run too rampant with their self pity.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they show up and play the game and push a beer across the counter upon request and so forth, they can have my money again now. Quid pro quo.

Last edited by DOGSTARMAN: 01-07-2013 at 11:29 AM.
DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit to Hurt View Post
I for one have grown tired of individuals with no love for the game, who focus solely on the bottom line.
If they didn't focus on the bottom line, there'd be no game for you to watch.

scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I love when fans who have been deprived of the sport/entertainment they love by the owners and players plan revenge by denying themselves more of the sport/entertainment they love. I will punish myself to teach you a lesson.

How about if we just keep the lockout stuff in perspective, not overplay the hockey-fans-as-victims card, and just enjoy the game we've been waiting to watch. It wasn't exactly the end of the world, though of course it was a very annoying folly.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they show up and play the game and push a beer across the counter upon request and so forth, they can have my money again now. Quid pro quo.
I don't feel I am depriving myself of anything. It's not punishment for me, I went 1/2 the season without hockey and my life has been fine. I've gained free time I can use to focus on other interests. I'll still catch the odd game, and partake in discussion on this forum. I just simply won't be giving my money to a company that takes me for granted.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957

And I'm sure that's going to be Jacobs reaction to any protest by the fans. You go to the games, he makes his money. He doesn't give a *#^*$^&#* what the fans think. I'm glad that hockey is happening again, but the owners and players are in it to make money and the fans are in it to spend money. That's life. As long as the fans are happy with the product and the Bruins bring the Cup back to Boston, I can live with the deal with the devils.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote