Notices

Send a message to Jacobs

Old
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
So, basically, you want people to pay money to go to an NHL game so that they can sit there and act like they're in a library?
Or watching a game in Lethbridge

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
This. I have no ill will towards Jacobs at all...
Jacobs was pushing for a $60 million cap, which would have undermined Chiarelli's diligent work and hamstrung his own team.

I've got plenty of ill will for Jacobs. And I doubt I'm the only one.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I heard JJ makes the bartenders pay taxes on those tips.
I had to pay sales tax on my tickets last year. I just shrugged it off as nothing because I forgot Jacobs was behind it! I demand a refund!

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Jacobs was pushing for a $60 million cap, which would have undermined Chiarelli's diligent work and hamstrung his own team.

I've got plenty of ill will for Jacobs. And I doubt I'm the only one.
Obviously. Hating Jacobs is the mainstream thing to do.

SerenityRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Obviously. Hating Jacobs is the mainstream thing to do.
Hating Jacobs has been mainstream so long people can't see anything but hate. I used to hate him not so much anymore. the first CBA/salary cap took a lot of the hate away for me.

I see lots of teams not spending to the cap every year and think to myself. Thank God I have JJ letting Chia/Cam spend to the cap and run the show.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Hating Jacobs has been mainstream so long people can't see anything but hate. I used to hate him not so much anymore. the first CBA/salary cap took a lot of the hate away for me.

I see lots of teams not spending to the cap every year and think to myself. Thank God I have JJ letting Chia/Cam spend to the cap and run the show.
Jacobs built up a lot of good will with the administration he built up and the Cup win. He could have been, not beloved, but admired and applauded by Bruins fans. His actions in this lockout have sent all that good will swirling down the toilet.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

The best thing that happened around these parts is that Jacobs left the day to day operations of the team to his kid for the last few years. The worst part lately is that JJ made it a point to be involved in the new CBA negotiations. He's a businessman and he's about making money. If you realize that and accept it, you'll be okay.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Jacobs built up a lot of good will with the administration he built up and the Cup win. He could have been, not beloved, but admired and applauded by Bruins fans. His actions in this lockout have sent all that good will swirling down the toilet.
He doesn't care about goodwill or a legacy. He cares about turning as large a profit as possible. Not a big deal, as long as you go in understanding it. He's not about winning or losing. He's about making money.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
The best thing that happened around these parts is that Jacobs left the day to day operations of the team to his kid for the last few years. The worst part lately is that JJ made it a point to be involved in the new CBA negotiations. He's a businessman and he's about making money. If you realize that and accept it, you'll be okay.
Thats my outlook.
I have no love or hate for Jacobs. None. To me just doing what he is meant to do. Business.
Id probably do the same thing. Im a businessman.

So love, hate, respect, no respect, doesnt register with me as I process the situation. It just doesnt.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Thats my outlook.
I have no love or hate for Jacobs. None. To me just doing what he is meant to do. Business.

So love, hate, respect, no respect, doesnt register with me as I process the situation. It just doesnt.
Exactly. Grand gestures and boycotts are all well and good if you want to make a statement. Just realize that whatever statement you're trying to make will be lost on him, since he doesn't care/notice short term things like that. He's about making money, and that's who he is. No biggie. Just accept it and everything will be okay.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
I disagree. Even after they won the cup he was still hated. Nothing will change that until the older generation bruins fan's die off in my opinion.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
I do accept that and I am good with that. I want the NHL League and owners to be secure for the long term. I want every team making money. I don't care how much more money a player gets. They get a bigger share of revenue then any major US sport yet the sport brings in the least money. Again how much more Crosby/Kessel/Seguin make mean nothing to me. Long term stability of a competitive NHL is all I care about.

Old
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Exactly. Grand gestures and boycotts are all well and good if you want to make a statement. Just realize that whatever statement you're trying to make will be lost on him, since he doesn't care/notice short term things like that. He's about making money, and that's who he is. No biggie. Just accept it and everything will be okay.
all I care about with him is/has been:

1 - will he spend to the Cap.
2- Will he have a Mngmnt team in place that knows what they are doing.
3 - will they have a competative roster that plays an entertaining way.

That's it. check, check, check. Otherwise I simply dont care about the rest of the stuff. I reserve my angst, passion and blood pressure for other things much more important to me.
Thats my choice.

Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Occupy TD garden!

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:

That's it. check, check, check. Otherwise I simply dont care about the rest of the stuff. I reserve my angst, passion and blood pressure for other things much more important to me.
Thats my choice.
I agree with that 100% but I would add a number 4. I want him to care about the long term health of the NHL. I want every owner to care about that. Just wish the players did as well.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Thats my choice.
Exactly. Everyone says they want a passionate owner who cares about the team, but those types are few and far between (and usually are lacking the knowledge to build a sustained winner). Short of that, having one who does what he's supposed to (IE spends to cap, etc) and gets out of the way for the decisions to be made by his management team is exactly what you want.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Thats my outlook.

Agree. There's enough hate in this world and we need less of it. Hating a hockey owner is not high on my list of things to invest energy in.

DROP THE PUCK

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Therick67

Quote:

Thats my choice.
Sure, but this wasn't always the case and is the reason he's 'hated'.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
well #1 was always the case. Bruins have spent to the cap since it was created for the most part.

the others are things from a long time ago and while he never spent the cash to get over the top the Bruins were always in the top of the NHL for salary. But again that was a long time ago and why I said he will be hated until he dies or the older generation Bruins fans do. People can't let go of the old and accept the fact that he is a very very good owner now for reasons others have stated in this thread.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:58 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Hard to say and I resist turning this into an anti-JJ thread. Jacobs has relied quite heavily on his day-to-day managers (Sinden, O'Connell, Chia) over the years to run the show and spend the money smartly. He was never very hands. Meister will outline a very strong case that JJ did not exert accountability on those managers and that is one reason they were not very successful for long stretches and I won't disagree with that argument at all. But he certainly did not get great results out of guys like MOC and late stages Sinden (who I like just fine until his last 6-8 years or whatever). But once the cap came in and Chia thankfully took over, and Cam showed up, things got a lot better fast. Some of the vitriol against JJ is fair and deserved, some of it is just folk lore and lazy. I think most fans can draw the line between the two. If he's a face to put to the lockout anger, more power to you, but what exactly do you get out of that bitterness...

Regardless, a lot of time and ink has been spent on Jacobs over the past 6 months and now I just want to hear about and enjoy actual hockey players. Enough with the business people.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Spooner st

Quote:

Thats my choice.

You are miserable wen you show hate for JJ\Bettman every chance you get in every thread...

Time to seek help.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I agree totally. The guy would have put the screws to his own team for the sake of higher profit. I just thank God that the NHLPA put their foot down and said no to that $60 mil cap.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Pie O My

Just so I have my marching orders in line - Based on the preponderance of posts in this thread the message we should send to JJ is "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Just so I have my marching orders in line - Based on the preponderance of posts in this thread the message we should send to JJ is "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
If you talking another CUP then Hell Yes!!

Old
01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
If you talking another CUP then Hell Yes!!
Actually, I think Pie was referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote