Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send a message to Jacobs

Old
01-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 500
Jacobs spends to the cap. Thats good enough for me.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Justin St Pierre

Hockey is entertainment. Quit taking yourselves so seriously. If you didn't already think spending money to watch Canadians hit each other with sticks was silly, then it isn't silly, so you shouldn't stop if your financial position or level of enjoyment you derive from it has not changed. I do not see how the latter would have changed. It's the same people playing the same game as it was before.

I think it's just a reflection of these attitudes that people who have anything aren't allowed to ever strive for more. I knew that as a "gifted" person; I wasn't allowed to ever be disappointed about anything in my life because it was clearly my own fault if I wasn't happy (as I supposedly had every opportunity in the world), or wasn't allowed to ever think anything was difficult, or wasn't allowed to ever worry about anything in the future. It's the same thing with this "millionaires and billionaires" garbage; apparently, they're all supposed to settle for a deal they don't want simply because we've decided they can afford that.

The lockout was annoying, sure, but if we're going to say these guys could have afforded to just all regurgitate on a napkin and sign off on it in September, then I think we can say all of us as fans can afford to live our lives without a form of entertainment for a little while. Even a basement-dweller like me found things to do.

Justin St Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Just so I have my marching orders in line - Based on the preponderance of posts in this thread the message we should send to JJ is "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
The only way JJ changed his tune was when fans stopped attending games. Therefore, pulling a one man boycott on beer and food all while still spending money to attend the game is just pointless, IMO...

Jacobs isn't on my Christmas card list, by any means, but I don't care enough about him to actually hate the guy.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
I don't feel I am depriving myself of anything. It's not punishment for me, I went 1/2 the season without hockey and my life has been fine. I've gained free time I can use to focus on other interests. I'll still catch the odd game, and partake in discussion on this forum. I just simply won't be giving my money to a company that takes me for granted.
Feel the same way.

And telling people that they are stupid if they do some kind of boycott/don't spend their money/won't watch is as stupid as telling people they are sheep if they do watch/do spend money/do support the team and league.

Everyone do exactly what your personal value system makes you want to do and enjoy. Everyone else can continue to judge those people, just keep it to yourself.

I hope that everyone that is excited for the league and doesn't care about the lockout gets a great season and they have fun. I just won't be amongst you.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
If you talking another CUP then Hell Yes!!
haha! good one Scotto!

Actually, I gotta tell you, diehards like us are complete idiots. in a bizarre way I say Thank Robert Gordon for pink hats, bandwagonners, and fair weather fans. The trinity of apathy. They are the ones who will be sending these dopes a message in a way thats loud and clear - in the pocketbook. STH's will continue to go, maybe buy less beer, whatever. But it's the marginal fans who will no longer buy the gear and the jerseys and what have you, hitting the owners marginal profits.

By drowning out the anger and the passion by insisting a boycott (even a symbolic one) won't work we will be ensuring that 8 years down the road when the lockout once again will be employed there will be no voice saying "hey what about the PR hit?", because they know we happy, used and abused, few will be back with nary a whimper.

So endeth my rant.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Feel the same way.

And telling people that they are stupid if they do some kind of boycott/don't spend their money/won't watch is as stupid as telling people they are sheep if they do watch/do spend money/do support the team and league.

Everyone do exactly what your personal value system makes you want to do and enjoy. Everyone else can continue to judge those people, just keep it to yourself.
I hope that everyone that is excited for the league and doesn't care about the lockout gets a great season and they have fun. I just won't be amongst you.
Well said Mike.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Feel the same way.

If everyone felt this way, maybe there would be a deal done before the need to lockout. The NHL knows it's fans are sheep, or a lapdog I guess...When they whistle, we will come running, no matter how many times kicked.

Easy for me to not renew my partial season ticket plan because it was for the Devils. I could never ask or expect anyone to do that for the Bruins. I will say though, fill the buildings after this, and there will be no hesitation to lockout/strike the next time.

Life is short though, so like Mike said, Do You.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
haha! good one Scotto!

Actually, I gotta tell you, diehards like us are complete idiots. in a bizarre way I say Thank Robert Gordon for pink hats, bandwagonners, and fair weather fans. The trinity of apathy. They are the ones who will be sending these dopes a message in a way thats loud and clear - in the pocketbook. STH's will continue to go, maybe buy less beer, whatever. But it's the marginal fans who will no longer buy the gear and the jerseys and what have you, hitting the owners marginal profits.

By drowning out the anger and the passion by insisting a boycott (even a symbolic one) won't work we will be ensuring that 8 years down the road when the lockout once again will be employed there will be no voice saying "hey what about the PR hit?", because they know we happy, used and abused, few will be back with nary a whimper.

So endeth my rant.
truth.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin St Pierre View Post
Hockey is entertainment. Quit taking yourselves so seriously. If you didn't already think spending money to watch Canadians hit each other with sticks was silly, then it isn't silly, so you shouldn't stop if your financial position or level of enjoyment you derive from it has not changed. I do not see how the latter would have changed. It's the same people playing the same game as it was before.

I think it's just a reflection of these attitudes that people who have anything aren't allowed to ever strive for more. I knew that as a "gifted" person; I wasn't allowed to ever be disappointed about anything in my life because it was clearly my own fault if I wasn't happy (as I supposedly had every opportunity in the world), or wasn't allowed to ever think anything was difficult, or wasn't allowed to ever worry about anything in the future. It's the same thing with this "millionaires and billionaires" garbage; apparently, they're all supposed to settle for a deal they don't want simply because we've decided they can afford that.

The lockout was annoying, sure, but if we're going to say these guys could have afforded to just all regurgitate on a napkin and sign off on it in September, then I think we can say all of us as fans can afford to live our lives without a form of entertainment for a little while. Even a basement-dweller like me found things to do.
a little piece of me dies with every lockout and strike. So my question to you....who the hell let you in here?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
The only way JJ changed his tune was when fans stopped attending games. Therefore, pulling a one man boycott on beer and food all while still spending money to attend the game is just pointless, IMO...

Jacobs isn't on my Christmas card list, by any means, but I don't care enough about him to actually hate the guy.
pf course it's pointless, but i'll tell you this. If I see some dope outside the gahden walking back and forth wearing a sandwich board cussing out owners and players i'll have no problem giving the guy a high five. If nothing else his heart is in the right place.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
pf course it's pointless, but i'll tell you this. If I see some dope outside the gahden walking back and forth wearing a sandwich board cussing out owners and players i'll have no problem giving the guy a high five. If nothing else his heart is in the right place.
His brain spent too much time in the cold, but, yeah, his heart is indeed in the right place. I'm pissed about missing so much of the season, but complaining is about all we can do. A boycott only hurts yourself. It's entertainment and it would be worse if schools or hospitals declared a lockout. If the federal government declared a lockout... whoops, I'm supposed to stay away from politics on here. Sorry Mods.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I will say though, fill the buildings after this, and there will be no hesitation to lockout/strike the next time.

Lou, the only thing I would say though is that the league can feel pain from other origins besides fan attendance: poor image and coverage from mainstream media; lesser TV deals and revenue; weaker cable agreements and broadcast deals; diminished merchandise sales; fewer expansion and/or relocation opportunities; lesser commitment of public funds for arena construction; weaker sponsorship and advertising deals.

These are just some of the many business relationships that may take a mild or significant hit if the damage to the brand is as bad as some say. The NHL may feel the pinch from many fronts without relying strictly on fan anger to send the message.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post

JJ didn't do anything different during that time. He didn't go out and completely right the ship in one season. He allowed the FO to sign free agents same as he's always done, but they didn't know what they'd get in Chara and Savard. Chara was thought to be the 2nd choice between he and Redden and Savard was largely an unheralded center feeding off Kovalchuk and Hossa in Atlanta.

Teams experience down times and Boston didn't experience theirs until the other franchises in the league did really well and the Bruins did really really badly.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
It'll be (hopefully) 10 years before the CBA expires.

Do you think he'll even remember a one game boycott?

Will he even be around?

If the CBA expired in one year, it may send a message. Not in 10 years.

If your a fan of the game, want to go, then go enjoy it and do what it is you normally do. If you're that ticked off, don't go then. That will send a sure message.

But I'm sure someone will be standing right behind you waiting for that ticket.

That is right. I will be going to the games. I don't really care for being told I should boycott games.

See you all there

01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Well im sure some didn't want to give up their tickets and have them already payed for this year so they have no choice but to go.

I'm not from Boston but no more hockey trips for me for at least 2 years, no center ice package and memorabilia for a while. What ever Bruins game is on TSN, RDS and CBC is going to be all I watch this year
We have a choice. The tickets are easy enough to sell if you didn't want to go. STH are going because they love the B's and hockey and missed going.

I am so looking forward to seeing all of my fellow STH fans, Rene R, the guys behind the bench, the security guards, the ushers, the folks who work the concessions, the ice crew...oh and the players.

It is FUN. I love the game.

DROP THE PUCK !!!

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Fans could always extend the middle finger to JJ's empty owners box.
I am saving that move for matt cooke and hartnell.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Hating Jacobs has been mainstream so long people can't see anything but hate. I used to hate him not so much anymore. the first CBA/salary cap took a lot of the hate away for me.

I see lots of teams not spending to the cap every year and think to myself. Thank God I have JJ letting Chia/Cam spend to the cap and run the show.
Good Post. This is how I was feeling. I am a little pissed off at JJ but as long as the B's win the cup this year I will get over it.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Feel the same way.

You WILL me missed.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
So, basically, you want people to pay money to go to an NHL game so that they can sit there and act like they're in a library?
Oh no, cheer during the game, cheer for the checks, cheer for the goals and cheer for the fights too!

Do not cheer when the music comes up and the lights spin around and the jumbo-tron says you should. That is the BS done only for the TV audience so the place sounds like a ruckus after a commercial break ... and that is where/when they will notice.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
We have a choice. The tickets are easy enough to sell if you didn't want to go. STH are going because they love the B's and hockey and missed going.

I am so looking forward to seeing all of my fellow STH fans, Rene R, the guys behind the bench, the security guards, the ushers, the folks who work the concessions, the ice crew...oh and the players.

DROP THE PUCK !!!
I'm so happy NHL hockey is back I just ordered Florida Panthers season tickets to show my support. And I live in Ontario. Warm weather will be nice.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I'm so happy NHL hockey is back I just ordered Florida Panthers season tickets to show my support. And I live in Ontario. Warm weather will be nice.

You should take in a game in Florida You can wear flip flops to the game

Old
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
Lou, the only thing I would say though is that the league can feel pain from other origins besides fan attendance: poor image and coverage from mainstream media; lesser TV deals and revenue; weaker cable agreements and broadcast deals; diminished merchandise sales; fewer expansion and/or relocation opportunities; lesser commitment of public funds for arena construction; weaker sponsorship and advertising deals.

These are just some of the many business relationships that may take a mild or significant hit if the damage to the brand is as bad as some say. The NHL may feel the pinch from many fronts without relying strictly on fan anger to send the message.
Yeah, just talked to my son about not going to the games, and he said "So..we have fun when he go"... Basically all I needed to renew my package tomorrow or whenever I can.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Yeah, just talked to my son about not going to the games, and he said "So..we have fun when he go"... Basically all I needed to renew my package tomorrow or whenever I can.
So sweet I just had to tweet that.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
If everyone felt this way, maybe there would be a deal done before the need to lockout. The NHL knows it's fans are sheep, or a lapdog I guess...When they whistle, we will come running, no matter how many times kicked.

Easy for me to not renew my partial season ticket plan because it was for the Devils. I could never ask or expect anyone to do that for the Bruins. I will say though, fill the buildings after this, and there will be no hesitation to lockout/strike the next time.

Life is short though, so like Mike said, Do You.
Every sport in my life time has had lockouts and strikes. There has been an entire hockey season cancelled, a World Series cancelled, and a NFL that used entire squads of replacement players and counted the games. If I took this personal I would have never had the rush of seeing Viniteari split the up rights and with it a Super Bowl out of nowhere; seen the amazing Red Sox comeback in 2004, or seen that epic game 7 celebration June 15th- that every June 15th will remind me of that Cup.

I never looked at this as anything more than thorns on a rose- the crappy side that hurts if you let it but in the end gives way to what matters.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post

DROP THE PUCK !!!
Not to mention you can start enjoying that $9,000 you've already spent.

I'm glad for you, Susan. Enjoy the games.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote