HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
  #226
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
After all the CBA business I hope Campolo never plays in the NHL again.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM
  #227
3rdlineglory
Registered User
 
3rdlineglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mahopac, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
If that is so - expect something like

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
XX?? - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Halpern - Pyatt

Asham, Haley

Expect one surprise camp invitee/signing/promotion

PK & PP duty for Callahan giving him more minutes...

But after one period lines will be shuffled beyond recognition - so the speculation is moot anyways...
Hrivik...if that doesn't work out put Pyatt next to Boyle and Callahan, I don't understand why people think he's a fourth liner.

3rdlineglory is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
  #228
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Would think that people would learn to not really pay any attention to Torts' lines. Regardless of what they are in game 1, he's going to mix them up as much as is mathematically possible.

The one thing Torts sticks to is the idea that he likes certain players at certain positions. He's already stated he wants Nash on the right side, so I'd expect him to stay pretty close to that.
when did he say he wants nash on the right side?

CM PUNK is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
  #229
3rdlineglory
Registered User
 
3rdlineglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mahopac, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
I think Torts said he wanted him on right wing when Gaborik was still injured in order to balance out the Top six.

It would have looked something like this:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan

Now that Gaborik is back, Nash can be moved back to left wing so that Callahan can get top six minutes.

3rdlineglory is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
  #230
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Good point.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
  #231
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I could care less (happy Punxrocknyc19 ) what the lines are as long as Nash and Gaborik are separated. I want that scoring threat on separate lines. Harder for teams to match up.
So, in other words, you DO somewhat care - because there are circumstances under which you could care less than you currently do?


BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
  #232
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
I still don't want Cally getting ES 2nd line minutes. He has shown to be a below-average producer in that regard.

He'll get his top PK time and his PP time, and with 3rd line ES minutes, he'll still get close to ~20 minutes a game. That is fine for a player of his caliber.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpren-Asham

Is what I'd like to see for the majority of the season.

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  #233
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
I still don't want Cally getting ES 2nd line minutes. He has shown to be a below-average producer in that regard.

He'll get his top PK time and his PP time, and with 3rd line ES minutes, he'll still get close to ~20 minutes a game. That is fine for a player of his caliber.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpren-Asham

Is what I'd like to see for the majority of the season.
Callahan is our best overall player. he does everything well. Blocks shots, Hits, scores goals and pts. I want him on the ice a ton cause he will work his arse off. Plus he's the Captain. He needs top 6 minutes, PP and PK time cause he's that good as an overall hockey player

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  #234
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
I still don't want Cally getting ES 2nd line minutes. He has shown to be a below-average producer in that regard.

He'll get his top PK time and his PP time, and with 3rd line ES minutes, he'll still get close to ~20 minutes a game. That is fine for a player of his caliber.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpren-Asham

Is what I'd like to see for the majority of the season.
He had 29 goals last year. If that isn't a top-6 forward I am not sure what is. And that is only taking into consideration the offensive side of the puck.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
  #235
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,120
vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He had 29 goals last year. If that isn't a top-6 forward I am not sure what is. And that is only taking into consideration the offensive side of the puck.
Was gonna say...

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  #236
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 8,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He had 29 goals last year. If that isn't a top-6 forward I am not sure what is. And that is only taking into consideration the offensive side of the puck.
Callahan isn't a 1st or 2nd line player. His talent level is best suited on the 3rd line.

nevesis is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  #237
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Callahan is our best overall player. he does everything well. Blocks shots, Hits, scores goals and pts. I want him on the ice a ton cause he will work his arse off. Plus he's the Captain. He needs top 6 minutes, PP and PK time cause he's that good as an overall hockey player
I laughed.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
  #238
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 50
We;re not running team Canada here, we don't have the personnel to have what hf considers "ideal" at any given position. Otherwise all 3rd liners would be 20 goals scorers despite that, on average, there are only 4 20 goal scorers per team.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:05 PM
  #239
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Callahan isn't a 1st or 2nd line player. His talent level is best suited on the 3rd line.
how many teams have a guy on their 3rd line who can score 29 goals?

Ryan McDonut is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
  #240
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I laughed.
Coming from the guy who thought John Mitchell was...

Kidding, kidding.

I agree, though. Callahan isn't our best forward at all (I say Gaborik, maybe Richards) but he's still a very good second liner. IF we insist on playing Nash on the right, it makes sense to have Cally be the one pushed down. That gives you three guys who can score goals in different ways on three different lines.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
  #241
Jim Ramsay
Registered User
 
Jim Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwick, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Callahan is a second liner, plain and simple.... Ofcourse he could play a third line role but the fact that he almost hit 30 goals last year should be an obvious sign that he belongs in the top 6. It shouldn't even be a question

Jim Ramsay is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  #242
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 8,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
how many teams have a guy on their 3rd line who can score 29 goals?
Exactly. We're fortunate for the team we have!

nevesis is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
  #243
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Callahan isn't a 1st or 2nd line player. His talent level is best suited on the 3rd line.
Bring the lockout back...

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  #244
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Callahan can play a third line role and still score 25+ because he'll still play 20+ minutes a night. Everyone gets all knee-jerk offended when the notion of Callahan playing on the "third line" is brought up when it's a very real possibility and might be the best configuration for our lineup. Callahan scores a lot of goals on the PP (I believe 50% of his goals are PPG, not sure) so we keep him on the #1 PP unit where he continues to produce and then he needs another 10+ goals at ES, which isn't really that unfathomable even on the third line (talking about 82 game projection even though it's a shortened season). The problem is more that Pyatt and Boyle don't round out a good line for Callahan. I like Pyatt, but if Hrivik was ready, for example, because Hrivik has hands and is a very good passer, then a lineup like:

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Hrivik - Boyle - Callahan

becomes a very, very good team. Hagelin and Richards have chemistry and everyone is counting on playing Nash with Richards. Stepan and Gaborik work well together and Kreider is most likely going to see top six minutes like he did in the playoffs. Hrivik is a defensively responsible player who would allow that third line to be a very, very good shutdown line but also has very slick hands and good passing vision, which would help Callahan stay productive at ES. Add top PP minutes with Richards, Nash, Del Zotto, etc. and the inevitable short handed point or two playing big PK minutes and Callahan continues to get the most overall ice time among our forwards without seeing too big of a dip in his production at all, IMO.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  #245
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
cally's 29 goals were tied for 11th among RWs so he is 'below average' among the top 20 RWs in the nhl

CM PUNK is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
  #246
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Callahan isn't a 1st or 2nd line player. His talent level is best suited on the 3rd line.
Talent level needs to include hockey IQ.

If you still think Callahan is a 3rd liner after that, then God help you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
  #247
Jim Ramsay
Registered User
 
Jim Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwick, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Callahan can play a third line role and still score 25+ because he'll still play 20+ minutes a night. Everyone gets all knee-jerk offended when the notion of Callahan playing on the "third line" is brought up when it's a very real possibility and might be the best configuration for our lineup. Callahan scores a lot of goals on the PP (I believe 50% of his goals are PPG, not sure) so we keep him on the #1 PP unit where he continues to produce and then he needs another 10+ goals at ES, which isn't really that unfathomable even on the third line (talking about 82 game projection even though it's a shortened season). The problem is more that Pyatt and Boyle don't round out a good line for Callahan. I like Pyatt, but if Hrivik was ready, for example, because Hrivik has hands and is a very good passer, then a lineup like:

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Hrivik - Boyle - Callahan

becomes a very, very good team. Hagelin and Richards have chemistry and everyone is counting on playing Nash with Richards. Stepan and Gaborik work well together and Kreider is most likely going to see top six minutes like he did in the playoffs. Hrivik is a defensively responsible player who would allow that third line to be a very, very good shutdown line but also has very slick hands and good passing vision, which would help Callahan stay productive at ES. Add top PP minutes with Richards, Nash, Del Zotto, etc. and the inevitable short handed point or two playing big PK minutes and Callahan continues to get the most overall ice time among our forwards without seeing too big of a dip in his production at all, IMO.
The right side just looks too unbelievablely lopsided... Too even have a guy like Hrivik pencilled in when he probably won't make it through the short training camp just seems way too unrealistic. I'm sure one way or the other Nash/Gaborik/Cally will all be in the top 6 and Pyatt will be on the third line

Jim Ramsay is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
  #248
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
I think from my perspective, Cally, Kreider, and Hagelin all have the ability to play a checking line or offensive role in the lineup. In an optimal situation, I want Callahan on the first power play unit, as well as the first penalty killing unit. In order to limit his total minutes, I would have him play that checking line role at even strength. Then Hagelin brings a ton of speed to the wing on the first line with Nash and Richards. As good as those guys both are they are not the most fleet of foot. He also should be a penalty killer, but I would keep him off of the power play in favor of Kreider, who has a pretty wicked shot from the edge of the circle. Kreider then joins the second line with Step and Gabby to bring an element of size and checking (and additional speed), which is something that they could use desperately.

Then the lineup looks like:

Haggy-Richie-Nash
Kreids-Step-Gabby
Cally-Boyler-Pyatt
Rupp-Halp-Ash

PP Units

Nash-Richie-Cally-DZ-McD
Kreids-Step-Gabby-Girardi-Strals

PK Units

Cally-Boyler-Staal-Girardi
Pyatt-Haggy-McD-DZ

bogans is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:53 PM
  #249
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Oh, and really when it all comes down to it, this is all just specualtion. Hopefully Kreider's ready for the NHL game, hopefully, there's chemistry between these guys and so on and so forth. Where we land will really be told by what happens on the ice, rather than what qualities these players possess.

bogans is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
  #250
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So, in other words, you DO somewhat care - because there are circumstances under which you could care less than you currently do?

Pet Peeve. Though last time I pointed this out my post got deleted, be careful.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.