HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

vCash: 500
Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Carry on.

Previous thread here.

Continuing from the previous all-encompassing Luongo threads:

-----

Just so everyone is clear, if you get the following in this thread:

Warning = threadban
Infraction = forumban starting at 1 month

-----

I'm keeping a eye on this thread and will continue on the subsequent ones.

This thread is here to allow everyone to debate the merits of the various Luongo proposals that are presented.

All I ask is for everyone to please be respectful and civil to each other, and to refrain from making things personal.

Thank you.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Fogelhund

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/...bban_contract/

Quote:
The Toronto Sun takes the position that while general manager Brian Burke has denied a report from last fall that indicated that a Roberto Luongo trade already had been worked out and would be implemented once a new CBA had been ratified, there is no doubt that the Leafs and Canucks have had serious discussions about the veteran goalie.

As for Luongo himself, the personable goalie fired off a tweet on Sunday that said: So (what) do we do now?

If you are the Leafs and the Canucks, you wait until all the is and ts are crossed on the CBA. Then let the trade games begin.

Luongo does have a no-trade but is said to be willing to waive it to come to Toronto. His first choice was the Panthers but, with that franchise looking to shed salary instead of adding it, Luongo was apparently told by Canucks management prior to the lockout that there was no fit with Florida.

Theres going to be a lot of (trade) activity once the deal gets ratified and teams try to plan. Well see what comes our way, Gillis told Vancouver reporters on Sunday.

A Vancouver source told QMI on Sunday that the Canucks want to study the new CBA before making a decision on what to do with Luongo, which could very well end up being a deal to Toronto if it proves to be the right fit.

According to media reports, Gilman expects Luongo to be at Canucks training camp in the coming days if the new CBA is ratified.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Bleach Clean

By way of Canucklehead on the Canucks board:

Quote:
Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN 2h
#Luongo says he has recently spoken to Gillis, but not specifically about a trade. Though he did say "there is more than one team involved"
View details

Gillis wasting no time.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
By way of Canucklehead on the Canucks board:

Gillis wasting no time.
Indeed. I'm almost positive he's going to be traded to a team that is not Florida or Toronto and Mike Gillis is going to get what is perceived as "fair value" depending on the specifics of the CBA.

Old
StringerBell

He still hasn't been traded? Geez what's taking so long.

Old
MikeK

vCash: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
If the team that acquires Roberto is damaged long-term by acquiring him, do you actually expect to get premium value for this player?

I'm genuinely curious as to your reasoning here.
What do you consider long term damage? Luongo is only 33 and most goalies with his abilities play well into their late 30's and are productive. He's had no serious injuries and has never been injury prone. I really don't care what anyone says about his contract. His cap hit is a steal for his caliber of play and he instantly gives any team acquiring him a legitimate chance to win every night. T.O DOES NOT currently have that perk. Has it been so long that you forget how awesome it is to have your team in the playoffs? I will never understand how Toronto fans can be so content with misery and losing.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Keep in mind that Bertuzzi also had the Steve Moore stuff hanging over his head. The season before his trade he had 71 pts at around 30 yrs old. Fleischmann just had 61 pts at 27 yrs old and Versteeg had 54 at 25 yrs old. I'd say its more closer than you indicate due to age & outside factors. I also think the Auld & Clemmensen comparison is a lot closer. I mean Clemmensen has a longer NHL history than Auld did when traded. Clemmer also was able to help 2 teams into the playoffs when the starters were either injured (NJ Devils) or struggling down the stretch (with the Panthers). He's probably one of the best backups in the league and has shown he is perfectly capable of holding the fort for stretches of time if needed. So to revise its more like:

Bertuzzi >= Fleischmann/Versteeg (closer to equal on Flash)
Kulikov >>>> Allen
Auld = Clemmensen

As I said, the equivalent to Allen would be Ellerby and then maybe Allen would be valued a little more in comparison. And again, what would be the replacement in the current context of Krajicek...is it Tanev? I dont think Gillis wants to give him up right?
Don't forget Kulikov isn't signed yet, so it would only be his rights. Let's just say Petrovic, because he's a much better fit for us than Ellerby(RHD with size). And Bertuzzi had a 97 point season just two years before.

But being generous, Versteeg, Petrovic, and Clemmenson is a deal I would do. It actually looks like solid value to me, and fits our needs to a tee.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
What do you consider long term damage? Luongo is only 33 and most goalies with his abilities play well into their late 30's and are productive. He's had no serious injuries and has never been injury prone. I really don't care what anyone says about his contract. His cap hit is a steal for his caliber of play and he instantly gives any team acquiring him a legitimate chance to win every night. T.O DOES NOT currently have that perk. Has it been so long that you forget how awesome it is to have your team in the playoffs? I will never understand how Toronto fans can be so content with misery and losing.
What do I consider long term damage? Oh, I don't know: if Roberto retires and his cap hit stays with the Leafs for the duration of his contract?

James Mirtle needs to clarify who the cap hit will stay with, the team that acquires him or the team that originally signed him to the deal.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Canadian Jesus

vCash: 1300
Really hope the Leafs don't bite on Luongo; with the cap going down in the summer and the amount of cap space they will have I feel there will be better options to help down the middle and between the pipes.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus View Post
Really hope the Leafs don't bite on Luongo; with the cap going down in the summer and the amount of cap space they will have I feel there will be better options to help down the middle and between the pipes.
The cap is staying at 64.3 million though after next year though. It cannot go down any further.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Not to mention this season is a shortened schedule, and Lou is a notorious slow starter. Not the best situation for a team leaning on Lou, when the schedule is much shorter and every game counts.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Diamonddog01

I really hope he gets traded to a team people weren't even considering, and this ends. I can't believe we have thousands upon thousands of posts over months of fans arguing over players like Bozak, Kadri and Komisarek.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Don't forget Kulikov isn't signed yet, so it would only be his rights. Let's just say Petrovic, because he's a much better fit for us than Ellerby(RHD with size). And Bertuzzi had a 97 point season just two years before.

But being generous, Versteeg, Petrovic, and Clemmenson is a deal I would do. It actually looks like solid value to me, and fits our needs to a tee.
Add Raymond and Matthias and I probably do this. Wouldn't be thrilled, but it addresses our needs:

Luongo
Raymond

For

Versteeg
Matthias
Petrovic
Clemmenson

01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I hope Luongo doesn't go to Toronto either. I would enjoy watching Burke squirm trying to find a goalie, and then get mad when Luongo is traded elsewhere because we didn't want to accept his lowball offer.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Not to mention this season is a shortened schedule, and Lou is a notorious slow starter. Not the best situation for a team leaning on Lou, when the schedule is much shorter and every game counts.
Flip side of that is whatever team gets Luongo will be getting a guy with a lot to prove. He will be pissed off, healthy and motivated. The guy is not the joke some people like to think, he's a quality starter that can steal games sometimes and keep you in games most times. He's the type of goalie that hasn't started in Toronto since... Well hell I don't know when...

I have a feeling should Luongo go to Toronto, Leafs fans will be surprised with the kind of goalie they're actually getting. This is not James freaking Reimer here...

Old
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I really hope he gets traded to a team people weren't even considering, and this ends. I can't believe we have thousands upon thousands of posts over months of fans arguing over players like Bozak, Kadri and Komisarek.
No offense intended but one of those players is unlike the others: a highly regarded prospect with significant upside.

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Such as...?

Old
rune74

Quote:
What better options in net?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post

I really hope he goes to TO, carries them into the playoffs, and they erect a statue in his honour. For serious.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Flip side of that is whatever team gets Luongo will be getting a guy with a lot to prove. He will be pissed off, healthy and motivated. The guy is not the joke some people like to think, he's a quality starter that can steal games sometimes and keep you in games most times. He's the type of goalie that hasn't started in Toronto since... Well hell I don't know when...

I have a feeling should Luongo go to Toronto, Leafs fans will be surprised with the kind of goalie they're actually getting. This is not James freaking Reimer here...
I absolutely agree. Whoever gets Roberto will be getting atleast two years of elite level goaltending.

BTW, James Reimer is not as bad as he was last year. He's in the middle of his rookie season and last year, IMO, with potential to be good.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
No offense intended but one of those players is unlike the others: a highly regarded prospect with significant upside.
By who?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Add Raymond and Matthias and I probably do this. Wouldn't be thrilled, but it addresses our needs:

Luongo
Raymond

For

Versteeg
Matthias
Petrovic
Clemmenson
It's funny that mason Raymond gets added into every trade by Vancouver fans and expect the other teams fans to jump on the deal. If your fanbase is so desperate to trade him, what makes you think the rest of us want him.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
By who?
By anyone who has actually watched Nazem Kadri play and doesn't base their opinions on HF experts with clear biases. He has cut a lot of the garbage out of his game that made him largely ineffective at certain times. Dallas Eakins can be credited with that. Kadri is on his way to becoming a respectable defensive player.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Has it been so long that you forget how awesome it is to have your team in the playoffs? I will never understand how Toronto fans can be so content with misery and losing.
Luongo is a very good goalie, but we can't trade for him at all costs. We do want to be a playoff and SC contender, so we aren't willing to pay any price.

This morning there was talk that Minnesota might be shopping Backstrom, so it isn't as if Luongo might be the only goalie available.

Burke will do what he feels is best for the Leafs, and Gillis the same with the Canucks.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:31 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

Luongo
Raymond

For

Versteeg
Matthias
Petrovic
Clemmenson
haha

Closed Thread