HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/lines discussion

Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
Will there be any kind of a box score for the scrimmage today? I'm curious to see how everyone played.
I don't think so. But from Chip's tweets.

White Goals: J. Staal, Skinner
Red Goals: Bowman, Nodl, Semin, Boychuk, and not sure who got the 5th.

Only 1 shootout goal....Jordan Staal.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
Nobody will claim Brett Sutter, he's gone through waivers like thirty times before
I suspect you are right.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
bleedgreen

and they can chance wallace as theyve got others for that fourth line though they wouldnt be mullers first choice. losing sangs, boychuk or bowman on waivers is just stupid, though frankly ive never been enamored with bowman.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
wallym

Perhaps there is some sort of Gentlemen's handshake on this type of stuff between the GM's?

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I don't think so. But from Chip's tweets.

White Goals: J. Staal, Skinner
Red Goals: Bowman, Nodl, Semin, Boychuk, and not sure who got the 5th.

Only 1 shootout goal....Jordan Staal.
Reading other tweets, the 5th goal was also the Nodl-Welsh-Wallace line. Not sure who scored it.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Gotta think Faulk starts on the 1st PP unit after his season so far in Charlotte.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Perhaps there is some sort of Gentlemen's handshake on this type of stuff between the GM's?
Not so sure about that. NYI claimed Hickey off waivers...a former #4 overall pick.

If he plays up to potential then the Isles just scored a top-4 guy for free.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I'm still unclear on how the waivers will work. From what I can tell looking through the Waiver thread and the TSN list (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405254) Thomas Hickey was never placed on Waivers back in September when Boychuk, Samson, Sanguinetti, etc.. were. He was in the same boat as Bowman where he signed a contract with Manchester to play so he didn't have to be subjected to waivers back in Sept. Now that the NHL is on and he's under contract, the Kings have no choice.

Bowman is in the same boat. Are we 100% sure that Boychuck, Sanguinetti, etc... will have to go through waivers again to go back to Charlotte since they've already been waived and have not played in the NHL at this point? Can someone who understands the ins and outs of this weigh in?

Old
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
bleedgreen

article today quotes muller as saying sangs will survive the first cut to charlotte, which should happen today. didnt mention anyone else.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Any chance we carry 7D?

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Any chance we carry 7D?
Pretty certain for at least 6 games we will

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
article today quotes muller as saying sangs will survive the first cut to charlotte, which should happen today. didnt mention anyone else.
Hurricanes sent down Nash and Welsh. I'm surprised about Welsh, thought Carolina had big plans for him this year.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Welsh and Nash to Charlotte

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

So Welsh and Nash back down to Charlotte. Nash isn't a surprise, Welsh wouldn't have been if it weren't for JR's comments. Nothing too shocking.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Hurricanes sent down Nash and Welsh. I'm surprised about Welsh, thought Carolina had big plans for him this year.
He started off sluggish in Charlotte, but was really coming around as of late, so my guess is they wanted him to continue to adjust to a pro game/continue his development while getting plenty of minutes vs. working out the kinks in a strike shortened season. I can't imagine coaches will have the luxury of letting prospects sort that stuff out at the NHL level with each game meaning so much.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

They pretty much have to carry 7 D. Murphy clearly isn't NHL ready and Gragnani has some re-re-re-reoccurring groin injury that has already caused him to miss 17 games. Are they really going to risk even the slight chance of losing Sanguinetti on waivers if that means their 7th D option would be Michal Jordan?

Yeah, there are a few free agent D left, but none of them would sign here and we'd end up trading a 2nd round pick for Derek Joslin.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Novacane
My Hero

****. Should have worded that better. Didn't mean scratch them on the roster, but have 7d-11f in the lineup. My hockey vocabulary is rusty.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Oldracer

E. Staal on 5th goal

Oldracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

IMO, it's kind of silly for waivers to be active during training camp.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
bleedgreen

welsh is an easy send down, as they dont have to have him clear and he has really been coming along. with others out of his way he'll be featured even more down there. id be shocked if we didnt see him by the end of the season at some point, especially if he stays on the path he has been on.

defense:
gleason-corvo
pitts-mcbain
harrison-faulk

sangs/murphy/gragnani

we already know sangs is the 7th guy, so unless there are trades that open a hole for two rookies on a would be playoff team murphy is going back to junior where he belongs and gragnani goes to charlotte. i could see pitts and or mcbain getting moved, we survived pitts being out under muller quite well and i cant see his generally laid back approach endearing him to muller either. mcbain could hypothetically be replaced by sangs, though i think we'll go through the same growing pains we just did with mcbain. faulk will have his fair share of growing pains as well. we'll know soon enough, but unless theres trades its those six and sangs.

boychuk/bowman/tlusty-staal-semin
skinner-staal-larose/jokinen/dalpe
tlusty-jokinen-larose/dalpe/bowman/dwyer
nodl-brent/sutter-dwyer/wallace/westgarth

what a mess. will jstaal be a checking or scoring line? who plays with estaal? will the third be offensive or defensive? are there really spots for kids? is bowman got the spot already cause of experience at being a role player and his hot streak over boychuks consistency or dalpes red hot recent play? dwyer isnt going anywhere, and neither is westgarth and you know they want wallace. again, what a mess. they need some waiver relief or giving away player trades to open enough spots here. dalpe can go down and it wont hurt but i bet hes already got a leg up based on his recent play. they like bowman cause he can play third line banger and still pop some in. they've never loved boychuk but hes done everything that can be asked of him. no matter what we are still too small and soft up front and you know jr will look at adding a true third center to complicate all this even more. what a mess. not enough time for the kids to win a spot unless they had it won before they showed up.

my out of left field move is to trade both pitts and mcbain. mcbain to clear room for sangs and pitts just to repalce him with someone with more grit as we have so many guys who can play the offensive side of things. the trades bring back the aforementioned grittier d man and or a third center. nodl leaves by trade or waivers, and maybe even another forward goes with him by the same routes. larose? doubt it but who knows. i would think one of dwyer, brent or larose should go if we make room for the charlotte invasion and give muller his fourth line. id do blanchard/wallace/westgarth maybe.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 01-15-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 06:56 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
They pretty much have to carry 7 D. Murphy clearly isn't NHL ready and Gragnani has some re-re-re-reoccurring groin injury that has already caused him to miss 17 games. Are they really going to risk even the slight chance of losing Sanguinetti on waivers if that means their 7th D option would be Michal Jordan?

Yeah, there are a few free agent D left, but none of them would sign here and we'd end up trading a 2nd round pick for Derek Joslin.
Campoli is still out there.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

There's no way IMO that we should offer a cute little contract for a reclamation project in Scott Gomez. Especially at the expense of getting rid of Andreas Nodl. Put him in a lineup with Stevens, Rafalski, Niedermeyer, Langunbrunner, Gionta, Elias, Friezen or whoever else and I bet he has 70+ points.

It's pretty clear what the canes should do for this season IMO. Send murphy back down to juniors and roll with 7 dmen. Send Sutter back to the AHL because no one will claim him, send Dalps back, and keep Wallace, Bowman, and Westgarth to duke it out a bottom 6 spot. I like the idea of Boychuk with staal and semin, so check this out:

Boychuk-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Larose
Tlusty-Jokinen-Dwyer
Bowman-Brent-Nodl/Wallace/Westgarth

Gleason-Corvo
Pitkanen-Faulk
Harrison-Mcbain
Sanguinetti

Ward
Ellis

Last edited by DaveG: 01-15-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
What is this? Abortion party? I don't even.

There's no way IMO that we should offer a cute little contract for a reclamation project in Scott Gomez. Especially at the expense of getting rid of Andreas Nodl. Put him in a lineup with Stevens, Rafalski, Niedermeyer, Langunbrunner, Gionta, Elias, Friezen or whoever else and I bet he has 70+ points.

It's pretty clear what the canes should do for this season IMO. Send murphy back down to juniors and roll with 7 dmen. Send Sutter back to the AHL because no one will claim him, send Dalps back, and keep Wallace, Bowman, and Westgarth to duke it out a bottom 6 spot. I like the idea of Boychuk with staal and semin, so check this out:

Boychuk-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Larose
Tlusty-Jokinen-Dwyer
Bowman-Brent-Nodl/Wallace/Westgarth

Gleason-Corvo
Pitkanen-Faulk
Harrison-Mcbain
Sanguinetti

Ward
Ellis
I agree with the roster but not with the lines. Tlusty with Eric. Bowman stays off the fourth line.

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Bowman
Boychuk - Jokinen - Larose
Wallace/Westgarth - Brent - Dwyer/Nodl

Or, if we want to get REALLY creative, switch Semin with Bowman. Eric's used to playing with crap. Basically we have the same first line as last year and we can pair our shiny new toys with Skinner. Bowman and Boychuk could switch between the 1st and 3rd lines based on who's hot. I know it'd never happen because we've always been "looking for that winger to play with Staal." My theory is that Staal's been producing without that winger his entire career. My other theory is that Tlusty could be that winger. JStaal between Skinner and Semin obviously neutralizes his defensive prowess, but that works both ways, his defensive prowess would neutralize Skinner and Semin's lack of defensive zone awareness. Could you imagine a line with Skinner and Semin that ISN'T a defensive liability? That'd be something else...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I agree with the roster but not with the lines. Tlusty with Eric. Bowman stays off the fourth line.

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Bowman
Boychuk - Jokinen - Larose
Wallace/Westgarth - Brent - Dwyer/Nodl

Or, if we want to get REALLY creative, switch Semin with Bowman. Eric's used to playing with crap. Basically we have the same first line as last year and we can pair our shiny new toys with Skinner. Bowman and Boychuk could switch between the 1st and 3rd lines based on who's hot. I know it'd never happen because we've always been "looking for that winger to play with Staal." My theory is that Staal's been producing without that winger his entire career. My other theory is that Tlusty could be that winger. JStaal between Skinner and Semin obviously neutralizes his defensive prowess, but that works both ways, his defensive prowess would neutralize Skinner and Semin's lack of defensive zone awareness. Could you imagine a line with Skinner and Semin that ISN'T a defensive liability? That'd be something else...
I absolutely love the idea of Skinner and Semin on the same line, unfortunately, Semin will turn Red on this organization for not giving him top line minutes. Thankfully, we will see Semin and Skinner centered by EStaal on the PP. I agree that tlusty will likely be with Staal, but seeing Boychuk on that top line would be interesting as well. I have my doubts about Bowman on the 4th line. He will likely be 2nd/3rd line tweener

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Just throwing something a little different out:

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Dalpe-JStaal-Skinner
Boychuk-Jokinen-LaRose
Westgarth-Brent-Dwyer

Cycle Bowman, Boychuk, and Dalpe in and out of the lineup and up and down the lines.