HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/lines discussion

Old
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Just throwing something a little different out:

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Dalpe-JStaal-Skinner
Boychuk-Jokinen-LaRose
Westgarth-Brent-Dwyer

Cycle Bowman, Boychuk, and Dalpe in and out of the lineup and up and down the lines.
I really want to see Skinner-Jstaal-Dalpe but he's basically guaranteed to be sent down to Charlotte since he's not waiver eligible. I have problems with no Nodl, and Westgarth over Wallace.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:13 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I have problems not seeing Nodl on waivers right now.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

I know Skinner and E. Staal didn't work out so well last season but I would be surprised if Skinner didn't get another shot at the top line. Especially if Tlusty doesn't continue his success with E. Staal.

Also, if Semin is on a line with J. Staal and Skinner they would most likely get as many minutes as the E. Staal line. We would have a 1a 1b situation IMO.

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:59 AM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
I know Skinner and E. Staal didn't work out so well last season but I would be surprised if Skinner didn't get another shot at the top line. Especially if Tlusty doesn't continue his success with E. Staal.

Also, if Semin is on a line with J. Staal and Skinner they would most likely get as many minutes as the E. Staal line. We would have a 1a 1b situation IMO.
Defensively they were an epic disaster together. Which is why you'll see them on the PP together but not ES. Tlusty is a good partner for Staal as he can handle himself offensively yet is very responsible defensively. So when Eric begins his floating/pouting/what-have-you, Jiri is there to bail him out.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I think Tlusty will be the guy on the top line. Listening to Muller's comments yesterday, he said he wanted to make sure Dalpe, Boychuk and Bowman were put in a position to succeed so gave them time with the top lines at the scrimmage to see what they could do. Some other comments he's made re: lineup

1) He also said he likes what he sees with ESTAAL/Semin and JStaal/Skinner so I suspect those pairings will remain.
2) He said JStaal's line will go against the top line of other teams night in and night out. Given that, I don't think he can put Boychuk on that line, maybe not even Dalpe as it will need to balance out Skinner on the other wing.
3) He said he wants the 3rd line to be able to contribute more scoring.
4) He wants a bigger, more physical 4th line.

Given all those and without knowing fully who makes the team, I'm guessing it will be:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-JStaal-Larose
Bowman-Jokinen-Boychuk/Dalpe
Dwyer-Brent-Westgarth/Wallace

Sutter sent down. If Dalpe is the only forward that doesn't need to go through waivers, then he may be sent down simply because of that, unless the coaches see he is way ahead of the others.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Mr America

Hopefully we can get rid of Nodl, maybe even Dwyer. If Kirk wants a bigger fourth line, not sure having Brent and Dwyer there accomplishes that.

Andy Strickland tweets that apparently there are multiple teams interested in Blues prospect Anthony Peluso, who is on waivers. 6'4, 234 (on hockeydb), that'd be a hellacious 4th line of him and Westgarth I can dream.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
wallym

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Dwyer
Boychuk-Jussi-Larose
Wallace-Brent-Westgarth

If we're going to be matching #2 up against the tough lines, why not stick super responsible Dwyer on there. Staal and Skinner should be handling the load in terms of creating offense, and he's shown capable of handling the tough matchups. Maybe develop some chemistry with Jordan, and they can kill penalties together too?

Third line has a bit more of a scoring look too. Not too concerned about the 4th line, but just load it up with big bodies, and try not to use it much.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Are the Staal brothers playing together this year? I figured that would be a certainty given their chemistry. All your line combos seem to say otherwise though.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Are the Staal brothers playing together this year? I figured that would be a certainty given their chemistry. All your line combos seem to say otherwise though.
Once Ruutu got injured, it pretty much gave Muller no choice but to split them up.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Good news everyone:

Quote:
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Two potentially potent PP units. E Staal, Semin, Jokinen, Faulk, Corvo; JStaal, Skinner, LaRose, Sanguinetti, Pitkanen

01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Mr America

I suppose Char does have a way of sneaking untouched through the chaos around the net sometimes for easy garbage goals.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

So after spending 45 minutes trying to get on the Hurricanes ticket website through Google Chrome and trying to call the Hurricanes Ticket line (both without success), I see the message that ticketmaster will not work "on certain browsers", and try on Firefox.

By which time, the tickets I wanted (in seats and quantity) are sold out, and I have to settle. Still going to the game with a group of friends next Tuesday, but it took a while to get there.

Screw you google chrome.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
bleedgreen

Corvo on a potentially deadly number one unit? No Mcbain at all? Larose? Starting off awesome.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Corvo on a potentially deadly number one unit? No Mcbain at all? Larose? Starting off awesome.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I propose hopefully that Sanguinetti has looked so good that he has beaten McBain, rather than Muller having lost his mind.

EDIT: Part of the reasoning could be based in the specific issues with our PP. Kirk Muller is very excellent at drawing up plays (Faulk got a good chunk of his goals on one play alone). Part of the problem was that, while we excelled once gaining the zone, the actual mission of gaining the zone was incredibly difficult for our team.

Both of those units have PMD's who can torch other players with their speed and their puckhandling ability in Sanguinetti and Faulk. It could be that Muller is hoping to facilitate better entry into the zone with those lineups.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
So after spending 45 minutes trying to get on the Hurricanes ticket website through Google Chrome and trying to call the Hurricanes Ticket line (both without success), I see the message that ticketmaster will not work "on certain browsers", and try on Firefox.

By which time, the tickets I wanted (in seats and quantity) are sold out, and I have to settle. Still going to the game with a group of friends next Tuesday, but it took a while to get there.

Screw you google chrome.
Weird, I've used chrome successfully just yesterday.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Good looking lines, though:

Quote:
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes

Lines: Boychuk-E. Staal-Semin, Skinner-J. Staal-Dalpe, Tlusty-Jokinen-LaRose, Bowman-Brent-Dwyer. Westgarth, Wallace extra. No Sutter, Nodl.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post

Screw you google chrome.
I had the same problem, including the fact that the voice message that I left for the Hurricanes Ticket office still hasn't been returned...but I was using Firefox.

It's Ticketmaster's **** up, they just won't accept that it's their issue.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Again, I don't see the problem with LaRose being on the PP. Muller's PP requires someone on the PP who shoots right, and unless I'm mistaken, LaRose is one of the few forwards we have that does so (Brent being another, explaining why he had PP time last year).

But who else is there?

Jokinen - Left
Skinner - Left
Staal - Left
Tlusty - Left
Ruutu - Left
Boychuk - Left

Dalpe, if he makes the team and makes an impression, could possibly take that spot from LaRose since he also shoots right. But really, that's it. LaRose, Brent and Dalpe are the only forwards who shoot right on this team.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

And this explains Sutter and Nodl:

Quote:
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip

Was told Nodl, Sutter are going on waivers today.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
And this explains Sutter and Nodl:
Does Philly still have first dibs at Nodl (along with the right to assign him to their AHL squad)?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Again, I don't see the problem with LaRose being on the PP. Muller's PP requires someone on the PP who shoots right, and unless I'm mistaken, LaRose is one of the few forwards we have that does so (Brent being another, explaining why he had PP time last year).

But who else is there?

Jokinen - Left
Skinner - Left
Staal - Left
Tlusty - Left
Ruutu - Left
Boychuk - Left

Dalpe, if he makes the team and makes an impression, could possibly take that spot from LaRose since he also shoots right. But really, that's it. LaRose, Brent and Dalpe are the only forwards who shoot right on this team.
Semin, but he's on the first unit.

Another reason why Semin was a big signing. Imagine trying to run Muller's PP with only the RH shots you list above.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I think this is a big reason they want to give Corvo PP time as well. Seems that Muller really wants a righty and a lefty playing points on the PP; if the options are Brent or Corvo, I'd probably go with Corvo.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Babchuk Crunch View Post
I think this is a big reason they want to give Corvo PP time as well. Seems that Muller really wants a righty and a lefty playing points on the PP; if the options are Brent or Corvo, I'd probably go with Corvo.
I thought the choice would be between Corvo and McBain

Old
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
bleedgreen

and mcbain is a legit choice - especially over brent. im unsurprised we're running with corvo though. hes a cagey vet and some things never change. i guess overall i though mcbains experience and puck skills would get him in there somewhere.

it really feels like mcbain is getting squeezed out. if so trade him while he still has value, id rather see him develop somewhere else than get buried here. he has played well enough and come along far enough to deserve better.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote