HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/lines discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
  #326
semin4captain
Registered User
 
semin4captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
So the Leafs, who are putrid defensively, waived Mike Mottau. Some of you will remember him is the guy the Bruins dressed instead of Joe Corvo in the playoffs last year.
Joe Corvo loves it in Raleigh. He has a home here. Therefore, we had to offer him a contract. It makes perfect sense.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
  #327
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
unless he played for compuware. that trumps family in the area i think.

we need a rulebook around here to figure it all out.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
  #328
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
Joe Corvo loves it in Raleigh. He has a home here. Therefore, we had to offer him a spot on our top shutdown pairing. It makes perfect sense.
Fixed

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
  #329
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 33,244
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
unless he played for compuware. that trumps family in the area i think.

we need a rulebook around here to figure it all out.
here's what I've been able to gather in drunken conversations with my good friends DG Yuengling and Samuel Adams:
1 - Buddies with Jason Karmanos and/or Jim Rutherford (the Craig Adams/Paul Maurice quotient)
2 - Compuware system product
3 - Lives in/has family in/spends offseasons in Raleigh
4 - Little Ceasars/Honeybaked product (because **** you Illich)
5 - American defenseman
6 - OHL or WHL product
7 - Finn
8 - Swede
9 - random other nationality
10 - Highly skilled Russian with at least 5 years NHL experience
11 - QMJHL product
12 - any other Russian

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:20 PM
  #330
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
awesome! my only debate was that the q should maybe go last - but youre right its really tough considering the russian quotient.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
  #331
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
here's what I've been able to gather in drunken conversations with my good friends DG Yuengling and Samuel Adams:
1 - Buddies with Jason Karmanos and/or Jim Rutherford (the Craig Adams/Paul Maurice quotient)
2 - Compuware system product
3 - Lives in/has family in/spends offseasons in Raleigh
4 - Little Ceasars/Honeybaked product (because **** you Illich)
5 - American defenseman
6 - OHL or WHL product
7 - Finn
8 - Swede
9 - random other nationality
10 - Highly skilled Russian with at least 5 years NHL experience
11 - QMJHL product
12 - any other Russian
I think WHL product should top OHL if only because Plymouth is included in the Compuware system I'm guessing.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
  #332
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
here's what I've been able to gather in drunken conversations with my good friends DG Yuengling and Samuel Adams:
There has got to be something in there about:

-played for the Canes previously (Cullen, Award, Corvo, Stillman, etc...)
-Family connections (3 Staals, previously 3 Sutters).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
  #333
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER
 
Tank King Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,606
vCash: 500
You also missed the "Scored his first career goal/played really well against Carolina" group.

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
  #334
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 33,244
vCash: 562
Good point on the family deal. I think most of the ones that fit in the other category (aside from maybe Cullen) fit into the "live in Raleigh during offseason" as well. But yeah that's always something to consider.

Both of those (and the first point/goal vs Canes) would squeeze in somewhere in that **** you Illich/American Defenseman/WHL or OHL product range

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
  #335
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8
 
w e l o s t b o y s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes

#Canes place Sutter, Nodl on waivers as roster is whittled down to 23. STORY: http://m.carhur.com/0RUx

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
  #336
Chrispy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes

#Canes place Sutter, Nodl on waivers as roster is whittled down to 23. STORY: http://m.carhur.com/0RUx
It's still 24 until Murphy is sent down.

14 forwards using Michael Smith's lines from this morning:
Boychuk-E. Staal-Semin
Skinner-J. Staal-Dalpe
Tlusty-Jokinen-LaRose
Bowman-Brent-Dwyer
Westgarth, Wallace extra

Once Murphy is sent back to the OHL, that should cement the roster with 14 forwards and 7 D. That seems more likely than risking Sanguinetti on waivers.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
  #337
Guy
Registered User
 
Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
I just laughed out loud at some of the reactions to Sutter and Nodl being waived on the Canes facebook page. How are the Canes going to move forward now???!?!

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
  #338
semin4captain
Registered User
 
semin4captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
I just laughed out loud at some of the reactions to Sutter and Nodl being waived on the Canes facebook page. How are the Canes going to move forward now???!?!
The mental retardation there has really kicked into overdrive.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
  #339
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman
 
PaulProteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
You also missed the "Scored his first career goal/played really well against Carolina" group.
Something along the lines of, "Played their one career best game against the Hurricanes."

We never forget that one time. It remains special to our organization.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
  #340
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie
 
Stephen Goalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,056
vCash: 500
Favorite Facebook post of the day:

Quote:
Matt *****

@John: You realize that this is Brett Sutter, not Brent, right? Brett has been amazing in Charlotte this year, and is the team's captain.
Facebook making key distinction between Charlotte Checker Brett Sutter and former NHL coach Brent Sutter being waived by Canes. Watershed.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
  #341
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box
 
Oenatzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Favorite Facebook post of the day:



Facebook making key distinction between Charlotte Checker Brett Sutter and former NHL coach Brent Sutter being waived by Canes. Watershed.
I can't believe the turn this organization has taken to rid themselves of all Sutters. First Brandon, now Brett. Who's gonna go next? Darryl?

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
  #342
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016
 
Lethargic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Misfit Toys
Country: Somalia
Posts: 10,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenatzu View Post
I can't believe the turn this organization has taken to rid themselves of all Sutters. First Brandon, now Brett. Who's gonna go next? Darryl?

Brody is in Florida....

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
  #343
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 33,244
vCash: 562
We'll sign then release Gary Sutter after one game simply so that all 7 of the Sutter brothers can have played in the NHL.

And to further eliminate the scourge of the Sutter family of course.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:03 PM
  #344
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
It's still 24 until Murphy is sent down.

14 forwards using Michael Smith's lines from this morning:
Boychuk-E. Staal-Semin
Skinner-J. Staal-Dalpe
Tlusty-Jokinen-LaRose
Bowman-Brent-Dwyer
Westgarth, Wallace extra

Once Murphy is sent back to the OHL, that should cement the roster with 14 forwards and 7 D. That seems more likely than risking Sanguinetti on waivers.
I absolutely love these lines. Perfect!

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
  #345
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8
 
w e l o s t b o y s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
I absolutely love these lines. Perfect!
Yeah I like them except for that I took Tlusty in my fantasy

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
  #346
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Yeah I like them except for that I took Tlusty in my fantasy
True that. Looks like it'll be the defensively responsible tlusty who will be tearing apart his opposition this year.

This reminds me that it's time to sign up for some fantasy hockey!

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:41 PM
  #347
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Pens fan coming in peace...

Just wanted to say that Brandon Sutter really light it up tonight at both ends of the rink.

I knew he was always a really solid player, but MY GOD he looked incredible already.

If this is any indication of the player he is now, and still developing into, WOW!

I can totally see why a lot of canes fans were really bummed about having to give him up.

He and cooke already are showing unreal chemistry in one exhibition game ( i know it was an exhibition game but he still hustled his ass off O & D side of the puck ) and combined for a goal in regulation and 2 assists to cooke and potted a pretty shot off the pipe and in on the shoot out.

Tons of people were really bummed losing Staal, but he is quickly going to make people forget about that in the burgh.

On top of that I really think Sutter has a chance to really spread and grow his offensive abilities here in pittsburgh too (which I am sure he will be very happy about).

How has J. Staal looked so far with you guys?

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:22 PM
  #348
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Pens fan coming in peace...

Just wanted to say that Brandon Sutter really light it up tonight at both ends of the rink.

I knew he was always a really solid player, but MY GOD he looked incredible already.

If this is any indication of the player he is now, and still developing into, WOW!

I can totally see why a lot of canes fans were really bummed about having to give him up.

He and cooke already are showing unreal chemistry in one exhibition game ( i know it was an exhibition game but he still hustled his ass off O & D side of the puck ) and combined for a goal in regulation and 2 assists to cooke and potted a pretty shot off the pipe and in on the shoot out.

Tons of people were really bummed losing Staal, but he is quickly going to make people forget about that in the burgh.

On top of that I really think Sutter has a chance to really spread and grow his offensive abilities here in pittsburgh too (which I am sure he will be very happy about).

How has J. Staal looked so far with you guys?
not good. it's pretty clear that brandon sutter is just as talented today as jordan staal. the difference is brandon sutter is still improving and finally being able to showcase and grow his offensive talent (which exceeds that of j staal). what's even more ridiculous is that our joke of a GM felt the need to trade Sutter AND a pick for J. Staal when J Staal would have come here in a year anyway at the end of his contract. You have basically come into this thread and tore open a wound that wasn't even close to healing.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:23 PM
  #349
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 35,851
vCash: 500
Jordan is not just the perfect hockey player, but also the perfect person.

I am excited... no... honored that we will be privileged to observe his sheer mastery of this sport. Whether it's scoring goals, winning faceoffs, or rescuing a small child from the arena rafters, I'd say that his career here has left absolutely nothing to the imagination. And then some.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:30 PM
  #350
semin4captain
Registered User
 
semin4captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
BRB, posting on Pens board about Jordan's goal+assist in Tuesday's scrimmage

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.