HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster/lines discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
  #351
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecowman View Post
not good. it's pretty clear that brandon sutter is just as talented today as jordan staal. the difference is brandon sutter is still improving and finally being able to showcase and grow his offensive talent (which exceeds that of j staal). what's even more ridiculous is that our joke of a GM felt the need to trade Sutter AND a pick for J. Staal when J Staal would have come here in a year anyway at the end of his contract. You have basically come into this thread and tore open a wound that wasn't even close to healing.
Sorry, wasn't trying to was just really excited about Brandon for this up coming seasons, thought you guys would be just as fired up over Staal...

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:58 AM
  #352
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,279
vCash: 500
Most are. Some people get way too personally attached to players.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 AM
  #353
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecowman View Post
what's even more ridiculous is that our joke of a GM felt the need to trade Sutter AND a pick for J. Staal when J Staal would have come here in a year anyway at the end of his contract.
Rumor was the Pens were talking pretty serious with the Rangers around the draft about dealing Jordan Staal to them. He probably would be with the Rangers right now if your GM didn't step up and make the deal he made. Only time will tell if the deal is worth it or not. Hopefully it works out for both sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Jordan is not just the perfect hockey player, but also the perfect person.

I am excited... no... honored that we will be privileged to observe his sheer mastery of this sport. Whether it's scoring goals, winning faceoffs, or rescuing a small child from the arena rafters, I'd say that his career here has left absolutely nothing to the imagination. And then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
BRB, posting on Pens board about Jordan's goal+assist in Tuesday's scrimmage


I'm sure you'd be welcome to come over to our board and chime in about how Staal's doing from time to time. I think some there are interested and would appreciate it.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:45 AM
  #354
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Sorry, wasn't trying to was just really excited about Brandon for this up coming seasons, thought you guys would be just as fired up over Staal...
I was exaggeration a bit at the end, and I don't have any negative feelings towards you. One good thing is that this may help keep E staal from going into pouty diva mode and not producing. Of course, you shouldn't have a captain that has to be catered to like this in the first place, but welcome to JR's hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Rumor was the Pens were talking pretty serious with the Rangers around the draft about dealing Jordan Staal to them. He probably would be with the Rangers right now if your GM didn't step up and make the deal he made. Only time will tell if the deal is worth it or not. Hopefully it works out for both sides.
well you know what they say about rumors. they don't interest me very much. i like objective facts. and what we do factually know is that j staal was only interested in playing. the pens and rangers can discuss **** over tea all they want but j staal made it quite clear.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:52 AM
  #355
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
its hardly the worst deal ever, we got a very good player who will make most of the pain go away. most of griping comes because, though we werent likely to admit it at the time we knew we would have to give up something really good to get staal. problem was that most of us would be complaining right now even if it had been just straight up for the two of them, we were shocked it took the top 10 pick and dumo. its a gut check trade. our arguably best dman prospect, a desperately needed top 10 pick, and everyones generally favorite player.

even if staal gets 70 pts we will miss sutter. he came along when we had little to cheer for, and his style was something that everyone could get behind. easy fan fave. we will all be watching more pens games now.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:10 AM
  #356
impeach estaalo
Registered User
 
impeach estaalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,408
vCash: 500




What the hell happened here

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:01 AM
  #357
Mr America
Registered User
 
Mr America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Hgh?

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:55 AM
  #358
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box
 
Oenatzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post




What the hell happened here
Beard on head and hair on chin?

edit:


Last edited by Oenatzu: 01-17-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM
  #359
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecowman View Post
not good. it's pretty clear that brandon sutter is just as talented today as jordan staal. the difference is brandon sutter is still improving and finally being able to showcase and grow his offensive talent (which exceeds that of j staal).
I have a few questions just so I can understand where you are coming from on this:

1. What to you makes it clear that Sutter is as talented as Staal?
2. What makes you think that Brandon Sutter is still improving, while Staal is done developing as Jordan is 8 months older?
3. How is Sutter going to be now all of a sudden expand his offensive game playing behind the two best offensive centers in the world? If anyone's offensive role is expanding, it's Jordan's.

I ask these questions because I think Brandon Sutter is a hell of a hockey player but I can't follow your logic here at all.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
  #360
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
Hgh?
He used the Kaberle workout system this summer and fall.

Seriously though, if it is HGH its the best of both worlds. If it improves his game to less than terrible, good news. And if he gets suspended for it, I don't have to watch him play, probably ever again. Win/win.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
  #361
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall
 
halleJOKEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I have a few questions just so I can understand where you are coming from on this:

1. What to you makes it clear that Sutter is as talented as Staal?
2. What makes you think that Brandon Sutter is still improving, while Staal is done developing as Jordan is 8 months older?
3. How is Sutter going to be now all of a sudden expand his offensive game playing behind the two best offensive centers in the world? If anyone's offensive role is expanding, it's Jordan's.

I ask these questions because I think Brandon Sutter is a hell of a hockey player but I can't follow your logic here at all.
-Trolled by MeleeRay.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
  #362
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
Hgh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
-Trolled by MeleeRay.
Did not realize who it was, makes sense now. I thought it was just a new poster who I didn't want to be rude to. Whoops.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
  #363
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
-Trolled by MeleeRay.
Weird, very first post he made I immediately though MeleeRay. Although I have to admit, MeleeRay's "two teams in Mexico" (or was it South America) on the main board was hilarious.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:00 AM
  #364
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecowman View Post
well you know what they say about rumors. they don't interest me very much. i like objective facts. and what we do factually know is that j staal was only interested in playing. the pens and rangers can discuss **** over tea all they want but j staal made it quite clear.
Except they weren't rumors. The four teams that were, factually, in the running for J Staal were NY Rangers, the Leafs, the Canes and the Penguins. The Penguins is obvious, and the Leafs dropped out because "they didn't have a Staal" (quote from Burke), which is good indication that both the Rangers and the Canes were options for Jordan to go.

Other teams that were, in fact, rumored were Buffalo and Minnesota. Not sure if that had any legs or they were simply kicking the tires.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
  #365
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I have a few questions just so I can understand where you are coming from on this:

1. What to you makes it clear that Sutter is as talented as Staal?
2. What makes you think that Brandon Sutter is still improving, while Staal is done developing as Jordan is 8 months older?
3. How is Sutter going to be now all of a sudden expand his offensive game playing behind the two best offensive centers in the world? If anyone's offensive role is expanding, it's Jordan's.

I ask these questions because I think Brandon Sutter is a hell of a hockey player but I can't follow your logic here at all.
let me ask you a question. have you studied advanced hockey analytics and watched them play? if you have a high enough hockey iq and you've watched them play then everything i've said is self evident. if you haven't done either of these things then you should. just study it out in advanced analytics and then watch them play.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
  #366
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 500
"Defensive zone coverage is our No. 1 priority," Muller said.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...#storylink=cpy

At the very least, he is aware of what this team has been historically terrible at.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
  #367
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
BRB, posting on Pens board about Jordan's goal+assist in Tuesday's scrimmage
Go back and edit it so it also says that Jordan scored the only shootout goal.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
  #368
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 35,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecowman View Post
One good thing is that this may help keep E staal from going into pouty diva mode and not producing.
This is one of those things that gets lost in the shuffle, but it's HUGE in terms of how this deal works out from a Canes perspective. The full return should be seen as 82g/season of Jordan and 50g/season of Eric.

Also, this is the sort of thing that illustrates why a trade isn't a zero-sum game. Both teams could end up getting a lot better if this deal works out the way it should.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  #369
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecowman View Post
let me ask you a question. have you studied advanced hockey analytics and watched them play? if you have a high enough hockey iq and you've watched them play then everything i've said is self evident. if you haven't done either of these things then you should. just study it out in advanced analytics and then watch them play.
So your answer is "I don't know, so I'll just continue to spout BS"?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
  #370
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
I believe the preferred interpretation is:

"I am rite, you are wrong, and you know nothing about hockey."

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:50 AM
  #371
Mr America
Registered User
 
Mr America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
What about ya'lls coachin experience though?

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:51 AM
  #372
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So your answer is "I don't know, so I'll just continue to spout BS"?
I think we need to study Brandon Sutter's Jordan Staal adjusted stats to truly understand his worth as a hockey player.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
  #373
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
What about ya'lls coachin experience though?
When I was a senior in high school I coached two JV games. My opinion officially matters.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
  #374
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I think we need to study Brandon Sutter's Jordan Staal adjusted stats to truly understand his worth as a hockey player.
I don't know, Eric might be jealous that Jordan gets his own adjusted stats, while all he's got in comparison is Giroux.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
  #375
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,213
vCash: 500
Wallace on waivers.

https://twitter.com/ice_chip

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.