HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Senators Training Camp (26 Players, 3goalies))

Old
01-16-2013, 10:00 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
This is interesting , not just about Greening but for what Maclean says about Latendresse:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/16/...-into-new-role

MacLean hopes Greening learns from newcomer Guillaume Latendresse, who is considered a power forward.

"He's comfortable down around the net and he likes to be down there," MacLean said of Latendresse. "That's a skill maybe you can't teach, either, but he enjoys being down there and mucking around........... He gives us that element we've been looking for, and we're hoping that can be contagious, for some of our young players like Colin, Smith and those kind of players.

"Maybe they can learn from him, that if they can get in there it's not always as comfortable as you'd like to be, but it's not as bad as you think it is, either.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:01 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I think that there is a fairly good chance that he gets claimed if we send him down.
Yep. Defensive depth is something every team needs. I doubt we'll bother sending him down, as there won't be many upgrades made available.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Yep. Defensive depth is something every team needs. I doubt we'll bother sending him down, as there won't be many upgrades made available.
He deserves a real solid look at this point. If after ten games it becomes evident that he can't play at this level then they can put him on waivers. IMO he will stick as a solid 6/7 d man.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
As an aside: Ciccarelli was probably the greatest in-the-crease player in the history of the NHL. I mean, best EVER. The modern "net-crasher" exists because of Ciccarelli, he revolutionized that style of play. I'd say of ANY Hall-of-Famer, he got the most out of limited skill. I find his career to be phenomenally impressive. The only thing that kept him out of the Hall for so long was that he was also a certifiable off-the-ice douchecanoe for much of his career.
Don't worry, he's still a complete off-the-ice douchecanoe in retirement as well.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Don't worry, he's still a complete off-the-ice douchecanoe in retirement as well.
Well, you have to give him credit for being consistent, at the very least.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:22 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I know you are trying to throw a witty jab at Garrihack's size here, but you are doing it wrong.
Don't be a fred.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
This is interesting , not just about Greening but for what Maclean says about Latendresse:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/16/...-into-new-role

MacLean hopes Greening learns from newcomer Guillaume Latendresse, who is considered a power forward.

"He's comfortable down around the net and he likes to be down there," MacLean said of Latendresse. "That's a skill maybe you can't teach, either, but he enjoys being down there and mucking around........... He gives us that element we've been looking for, and we're hoping that can be contagious, for some of our young players like Colin, Smith and those kind of players.

"Maybe they can learn from him, that if they can get in there it's not always as comfortable as you'd like to be, but it's not as bad as you think it is, either.
That's a pretty funny quote because...

Smith: 24 years old
Latendresse: 25 years old
Greening: 26 years old.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
He's older...NHL wise!

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:39 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
"That's a skill maybe you can't teach, either, but he enjoys being down there and mucking around."

Fascinating.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:40 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Greening - Smith - Condra

I think that is as ideal of a 3rd line as you can have. All can skate, all can score, all play physical.

That line is probably good for 20-25 goals this season.

Swap Neil in for Condra here and there.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Berserker*

Quote:

I think that is as ideal of a 3rd line as you can have. All can skate, all can score, all play physical.

Condra plays physical?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Greening-Regin-Neil would be my third line.
O'Brien-Smith-Condra my fourth.

Regin and Neil have had really good chem and Greening would be able to add to that with his grit, speed and offensive ability.

Regin-Smith-Neil could work really well with Greening-O'Brien-Condra. Both would be 3a/3b options.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:20 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Condra plays physical?

I think, and I admit I'm guessing here, what he meant was that Condra will go to the dirty areas to get the puck, will involve himself in a scrum, and is a good lunch-pail kind of guy. He will use his body when needed in a battle for the puck. Won't shy away from a hit in order to make a play.

But as for "being physical" in the sense that he throws his weight around? Yeah... He wasn't last overall among Sens forwards in hits for nothing. He's definitely not doing his best Heavyweight impression out there, that's for sure.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think, and I admit I'm guessing here, what he meant was that Condra will go to the dirty areas to get the puck, will involve himself in a scrum, and is a good lunch-pail kind of guy. He will use his body when needed in a battle for the puck. Won't shy away from a hit in order to make a play.

But as for "being physical" in the sense that he throws his weight around? Yeah... He wasn't last overall among Sens forwards in hits for nothing. He's definitely not doing his best Heavyweight impression out there, that's for sure.
Yeah, that makes sense, Condra is "gritty" in terms of the fact that he is willing to go to the dirty areas and take a bit of a beating to make a play. But having something like 16 hits in a year is way too low to be considered "physical". But then again I guess it would all depend on how you define "physical" some enforcers are too slow to hit anybody ( or get very few hits per season based on their lack of speed) but some may classify them as physical. IMO being a pyschial player is classfied first by the quality and quantity of a players hits per season, secondly by their willingness to play a chippy game (rough up players, get involved in scrums, agitate) and thirdly by their willingness to fight.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:38 PM
sauce11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Greening-Regin-Neil would be my third line.
O'Brien-Smith-Condra my fourth.

Regin and Neil have had really good chem and Greening would be able to add to that with his grit, speed and offensive ability.

Regin-Smith-Neil could work really well with Greening-O'Brien-Condra. Both would be 3a/3b options.
i had the chance to have a conversation with PM tonight and asked him about the third line... specifically who he had at 3C currently.

he said that faceoffs was one of the main reasons to choose one over the other, and that there is really only one more pre-season skate before they head to Winnipeg tomorrow afternoon.

i see regin starting there, leaving z smith as 4th line LW

sauce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce11 View Post
i had the chance to have a conversation with PM tonight and asked him about the third line... specifically who he had at 3C currently.

he said that faceoffs was one of the main reasons to choose one over the other, and that there is really only one more pre-season skate before they head to Winnipeg tomorrow afternoon.

My guess is regin starts as 3c and smith as 4c. But i haven't spoken to pm about it yet.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce11 View Post

By that logic wouldn't Smith get the nod over Regin? I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that Smith is better in the dot than Regin.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:09 AM
sauce11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
My guess is regin starts as 3c and smith as 4c. But i haven't spoken to pm about it yet.
if you're at ice level, holler at him

Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
By that logic wouldn't Smith get the nod over Regin? I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that Smith is better in the dot than Regin.
I'm guessing 4 lines will be rolled more than usual.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I'm guessing 4 lines will be rolled more than usual.
I was referring to the third line centre role.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Assuming Regin's shoulder is good as new, he's a better faceoff taker. At least according to stats from previous years.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 AM
sauce11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Assuming Regin's shoulder is good as new, he's a better faceoff taker. At least according to stats from previous years.
it's funny... two completely different players competing for the same position can be pretty interesting. something that seems so inconsequential as "third line C faceoffs" makes a difference in a coach's mind.

the question might end up being, who is more reliable at 3C?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:11 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Regin and Turris were going one on one in a faceoff drill the other day and Kyle was killing him

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:21 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Pretty sure Maclean said in the presser yesterday that he sees Regin as the 3rd line guy, and is looking forward to that line being a potent source of offence. The interview is on SensTV on the Senators website, in case anyone wants the source.

Based on that, it sounds like the 3C job is Regin's to lose.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:40 AM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Regin and Turris were going one on one in a faceoff drill the other day and Kyle was killing him
That's why 3c is between Smith and Regin, not Turris

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote