HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Cap circumventing contracts NOT grandfathered in?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Lacaar

vCash: 500
If you don't put down the hammer on teams that used looplholes last cba you lose the possibility of teams being wary of using an exposed loophole this cba.

The whole point being.. Just because it was legal within this CBA doesn't mean it can't change next cba. They'll use logic and common sense to try and thwart the "oh how do you know I won't play till i'm 50" argument or whatever lame excuse is made when and if a loophole is found.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

What if the players simply refuse to report? Lets face it, the players on these contracts don't really need the pension benefits of retiring.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
What if the players simply refuse to report? Lets face it, the players on these contracts don't really need the pension benefits of retiring.
And what benefit is that to the player?

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
No. By the time Lu got to his last year, some of that $6M cap benefit would have been depleted. His cap hit penalty if he retired in his final year would be (as discussed above) ~$4.333M - the difference between his cap hit and salary for that year (which also, unsurprisingly, happens to be the difference between his aggregate salaries and aggregate cap hits up until then).
If he's traded by Vancouver right now, though, the Canucks will have benefited by $6.1m. Neither Friedman nor Lebrun are perfectly clear about the exact rules in that situation, but the way I read them it's implied that if he retired with a season remaining, the Canucks would be penalized that amount, and his other team (assuming Luongo stayed there for all nine years) wouldn't have any penalty, the excess of cap over salary after 2018 having wiped out earlier the benefit to them.

Now, logically, you'd think the rule would work so that the total penalties for any individual team couldn't exceed the net cap benefit over the whole life of the deal to the point of retirement (so, in the case described above, the $4.33m you mentioned for the Canucks in the final year.) But we don't have confirmation of that yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be structured in a way that maximizes the penalty to the team that signs the contract.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I didn't like the Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa contracts
I never understood how the league could allow some but not others.

But once you allow them, you allow them. And to go back and punish teams now is just another example of NHL stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think it's rediculous to punish teams that were signing players to contracts that were in line with the agreement that the league was operating under.

They addressed the issue on a going forward basis, no need to continue to punish teams that were able to get deals done under the prior agreement.

Seems really petty.
Guys, you are exclaiming that these contracts are not cap circumventing, that these guys intend to play out the contracts. If they do, there are no issues whatsoever. No penalties anywhere. So you should not be worried, right?

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
If he's traded by Vancouver right now, though, the Canucks will have benefited by $6.1m. Neither Friedman nor Lebrun are perfectly clear about the exact rules in that situation, but the way I read them it's implied that if he retired with a season remaining, the Canucks would be penalized that amount, and his other team (assuming Luongo stayed there for all nine years) wouldn't have any penalty, the excess of cap over salary after 2018 having wiped out earlier the benefit to them.

Now, logically, you'd think the rule would work so that the total penalties for any individual team couldn't exceed the net cap benefit over the whole life of the deal to the point of retirement (so, in the case described above, the $4.33m you mentioned for the Canucks in the final year.) But we don't have confirmation of that yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be structured in a way that maximizes the penalty to the team that signs the contract.
When asked on twitter Friedman responded that as was his understanding it would be a $6 million hit to the Canucks for a 1 year early retirement.

Considering the massive hits such a situation could present I think it will probably be structued that if any subsequent teams have a net cap overpayment it will be applied to the inital teams penalty.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If reports are true hypothetically if Preds traded Weber after 6 yrs & he retired with 1 yr left NAS would get $32.9 mil cap hit in 2025-26.

Absolutely hilarious

I have a feeling this is not over yet. BOG meeting may come back with changes to the agreement with this being one of them. There is going to be civil war between the owners over this clause and I can't see the PA caring one way or the other.

My prediction.....this clause gets scuppered at BOG.

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:20 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
If you don't put down the hammer on teams that used looplholes last cba you lose the possibility of teams being wary of using an exposed loophole this cba.

The whole point being.. Just because it was legal within this CBA doesn't mean it can't change next cba. They'll use logic and common sense to try and thwart the "oh how do you know I won't play till i'm 50" argument or whatever lame excuse is made when and if a loophole is found.
Dumb logic. They approved the deals that were signed. They signed the last CBA. Not the teams problem they are too daft to analyze the deal before they signed it.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
They're all going on LTIR.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
We don't know the rules under the new CBA - but under the old CBA they could be suspended without pay (or cap hit) for not-reporting (except for 35+ yo deals).

My guess is that those deals would be treated similar to the 35+ yo rules - the penalty would be assessed if the player were not on a roster, LTIR, or loaned (ie any case where his cap hit would not otherwise apply), not just if he officially filed retirement papers - otherwise it would have too many loopholes and be effectively worthless.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
They're all going on LTIR.
Well first they'd need a doctor to say that they would in fact qualify. So your talking about team doctors lying about injuries. Plus the NHL (at least in the last CBA) had the right to get the opinon of a neutral physician in regards to any LTIR claims.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

I don't see why people are *****ing. They signed these contracts and claimed that they were legit because the players were going to play.

They are legal because there will be years in the future where their cap hit is higher than their salary. If the players don't play the full contract then the contract circumvents the cap and the team who signed that player should pay for the years that they circumvented the cap.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Dumb logic. They approved the deals that were signed. They signed the last CBA. Not the teams problem they are too daft to analyze the deal before they signed it.
The last CBA had provisions that allowed the commisioner to penalize teams that tried to circumvent the cap. These deals dont actually circumvent the cap unless the player retires early. Under the old CBA the comissioner would have had the right to invoke penalties at the point when an attempt to circumvent the cap took place. The new deal simply spells out what those penalties will be.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 744
Perhaps I am not comprehending this and please correct me if I am mistaken, but

What if a team trades a player with one of these deals and that player is bought out using a regular buyout by the new team?

Instead of the player retiring, he would get 2/3rds of his remaining salary.

The team trading the player removes his cap hit

The team trading for the player adds his cap hit yet pays a much lower real dollar amount. Presumably a team trying to reach the cap floor.

Seems like by 2017 or whenever the cap floor will be disproportionate again and some teams will value these contracts in order to save real dollars. Whether or not they actually buyout the player or just keep him, as long as he does not retire, there is no penalty.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
Then it looks like penalties of 1.5 and 1.5 for each of the last two seasons.

But they'll probably do an amnesty buyout for him, won't they?
The amensty buys-outs are only available in the summer of 2013 and the summer of 2014, not before the start of the upcoming shortened season. Because that's the case - the Rangers are on the hook for $5.6M of cap hit unless they're able to buy him out as part of the normal process before this season starts.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post

If there was no intent to retire early then there's no issue. That's the logic right there. You calling it dumb doesn't make it so. Stop hiding behind a lie and then trying to use even more retarded logic like you just stated to justify it.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Krishna

How would this work in the cases of Jeff Carter and James Van Riemsdyk?

Both signed long deals but neither of them ever played a game for the flyers under that contract

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The team that signed the players to the contract bears the burden of the cap penalties going forward once that player retires, regardless of where he ends up...

It's absolutley ridiculous and something only a bush league would do, but here we are...
It's a heady-handed penalty to ensure that teams keep the players that they sign to these deals and that the player doesn't retire several years before the contract ends.

Bottom line...if you have signed a player to one of these type deals, he better had been a cornerstone of you franchise for the entire length of the contract.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Guys, you are exclaiming that these contracts are not cap circumventing, that these guys intend to play out the contracts. If they do, there are no issues whatsoever. No penalties anywhere. So you should not be worried, right?
I would venture a guess that 8 of the guys listed will play till they are 40.

a very small number will retire before their contracts are out.

VERY SMALL

So yeah, not worried at all.

I still think it's pathetic and petty to punish teams that have contracts that were 100% allowed under an agreement the NHL was HAPPY to sign back in 2005

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

And on a going forward basis, I agree.

However, retro-active punishment is petty and pathetic

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

Both signed long deals but neither of them ever played a game for the flyers under that contract
It's fair to suggest that all of this is just speculation until we have a final signed CBA that has passed both the PA and BOG. Before than, nuances like this are almost assuredly going to be complicated to assess.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:

Under the formula presented by Friedman they wouldn't be on the hook at all since it only counts for the cap benefit received. If they didn't play for them under the contract, they didn't receive any cap benefit.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I would venture a guess that 8 of the guys listed will play till they are 40.

a very small number will retire before their contracts are out.

VERY SMALL

So yeah, not worried at all.

I still think it's pathetic and petty to punish teams that have contracts that were 100% allowed under an agreement the NHL was HAPPY to sign back in 2005
They weren't 100% allowed. Anything that "violated the spirit" of the cap was not allowed.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
When asked on twitter Friedman responded that as was his understanding it would be a $6 million hit to the Canucks for a 1 year early retirement.

Considering the massive hits such a situation could present I think it will probably be structued that if any subsequent teams have a net cap overpayment it will be applied to the inital teams penalty.
Yeah that really doesn't make sense, since it would be so trivial to base the penalty against the balance remaining on the contract. If Luongo retires with 1 year left, that's 1m in salary on a 5m cap hit, so really only 4m in salary cap is circumvented. Calculate the ratio of cap $$$ saved that Vancouver benefited vs the cap $$$ saved that Luongo's other team(s) benefited and apply the split on the $4M that's left on the deal.

Or if he retires with 2 years left then that's $8m to be divided up over a 2 year span based on the same ratio, and the same thing for 3 years and so on. Dead simple and entirely fair, this really shouldn't be that hard.

It should also be noted that if Luongo remains on the same team that trades for him and they start getting into the years where he makes less than his salary cap, then that subtracts from the cap money the team benefited earlier on.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
They weren't 100% allowed. Anything that "violated the spirit" of the cap was not allowed.
They approved the contracts. If they violated the CBA they should have rejected them. They did not.

End of story.