HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Cap circumventing contracts NOT grandfathered in?

Old
01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Problem with that is if it is an injury that occurs at the end of this season that he recovers from anytime during the next season, they are stuck. A team can't put a player on LTIR without the agreement of an independent doctor.
Not really. Once you put a player on LTIR, you can just leave him there for the rest of the season. Even if he is 100% healthy and cleared by doctors, teams don't HAVE to take him off LTIR until they want to.

Unless the new CBA changed this.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:14 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Not really. Once you put a player on LTIR, you can just leave him there for the rest of the season. Even if he is 100% healthy and cleared by doctors, teams don't HAVE to take him off LTIR until they want to.

Unless the new CBA changed this.
Yep. I would guess they won't change it in the new CBA, but we'll have to see. I only recall one team "abusing" it during the last CBA, leaving a player on LTIR for a while after they were healthy.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
This is a bizarre rule, you can't retroactively penalize someone for doing something that was permitted under the rules at the time. I mean legally you can if all the parties agree, which it looks like they will, but still WTF is with that? It's weird.
The idea that it was permitted under the rules at the time is not true. Teams were subject to penalties if they took any action designed to circumvent the cap, the commisioner had the power to decide what penalties they would face. Since no player retired early and circumvented the cap under the old CBA the situation never came up but the teams could have faced the penalties once it happened. The league has now set out what those penalties will be.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I don't think early retirement would actually prove dishonest intentions when signing the contract. Few athletes can predict their retirement age accurately, many careers end before players want them to end, others go on to play much longer than they ever expected to. Things change all the time.

A guy might expect to play until I'm 40 but his body caves in at 35. That doesn't mean there was deception involved when he signed the deal that took him to age 40. Henrik Zetterberg is signed to age 40. He might do that or he might not. Yzerman retired around his 41st birthday, Lidstrom retired at 42.

If he doesn't, it doesn't mean the contract violated the spirit of the CBA. In fact his salary reduction toward those last years would in my mind be an accurate reflection of decreased performance levels toward the end of the career. Yzerman's salary went down, Chelios's salary went down, even Lidstrom's went down.

Thus I can't see how the Zetterberg deal violated anything in the old CBA, letter or spirit.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't think early retirement would actually prove dishonest intentions when signing the contract. Few athletes can predict their retirement age accurately, many careers end before players want them to end, others go on to play much longer than they ever expected to. Things change all the time.

A guy might expect to play until I'm 40 but his body caves in at 35. That doesn't mean there was deception involved when he signed the deal that took him to age 40. Henrik Zetterberg is signed to age 40. He might do that or he might not. Yzerman retired around his 41st birthday, Lidstrom retired at 42.

If he doesn't, it doesn't mean the contract violated the spirit of the CBA. In fact his salary reduction toward those last years would in my mind be an accurate reflection of decreased performance levels toward the end of the career. Yzerman's salary went down, Chelios's salary went down, even Lidstrom's went down.

Thus I can't see how the Zetterberg deal violated anything in the old CBA, letter or spirit.
It's not a punishment, it's merely a change in cap accounting, like several other items in the new deal.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That would be the arguement when and if the league tried to punish a team for such a contract. Now they've come to an agreement that all sides are in favor of. Remember the owners voted unanimously for this deal so they dont have any legs to stand on if they try and challenge a penalty later on.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:03 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
An anomaly to this is the Ovechkin contract, which is 9 or 10 million per but still has 10 seasons left on it.

I don't believe that would be penalized for any reason.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote