HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

With lockout now over, it's time for Gary Bettman to step down

Old
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
It probably has something to do with the fact that he didn't. I always wondered about that. He gets tons of hate (which is what his position/job dictates), but no one gives him any credit for the good things he's done for the league.
I give him credit for growing revenues and criticism for never being able to negotiate a deal without a work stoppage. Obviously, the PA shares a good part of that blame, but to simply characterize Bettman as having no responsibility or as being a yes man for the owners seems to me to lack any objectivity. Whether or not another commissioner could have done better I think that we can all agree that it's hard to imagine anyone doing a worse job. His style of negotiation like Fehr's is confrontational. It's simply the way Bettman works and he seems to enjoy it. Unfortunately the fans have not been treated well under his tenure.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

no need for gary to step down, he's a fine commish. just be glad "fehr time" ended without the league being destroyed.

Sour Shoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I give him credit for growing revenues .
The more I think about it, the less I give him credit. For growth. I put all of the following ahead of Gary Bettman

Revenues have grown because of competition among TV stations/cable outlets, the web (nhl.com, nhl gamecenter), currency fluctuation, and of course...inflation

I don't know if I should even give him credit for the NHL network, but I guess I have to

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
As usual, the article can't list anything he's personally done wrong in the position. Just that fans are angry and he's a persuasive person to be angry at.
How about the horrible job of marketing the sport?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
no need for gary to step down, he's a fine commish. just be glad "fehr time" ended without the league being destroyed.
This is true, but Bettman will have to be gone in the next 3-4 yrs...and if not certainly long gone before year 8 for sure....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I don't know if I should even give him credit for the NHL network, but I guess I have to
A great many pundits point to COO John Collins who joined the NHL from the NFL in 2006 as the driving force behind much of the innovation & increased sponsorship revenues, from the Winter Classic to new media streams. He may be in-line for Bettmans job if & whenever he does retire. Rumoured to have been very upset at the length of the lockout & in being excluded from negotiations while basically taking heat calls from sponsors 24-7 since last October.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Dado

vCash:
Bettman has done many things to improve the league. Owners and players - and, yes, even fans - owe him thanks for the good things he has accomplished. The NHL is not very far removed from its bush league roots, but what distance there is is largely thanks to Bettman.

That said, he has COMPLETELY ****'ed up two CBAs running.

It's time to part ways, IMO.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Bettman is fine. I am glad Fehr won't be around the next time we do this.

Of course people will be glad Fehr won't be around, they can keep the pressure up on the players to accept absurd terms of a CBA because they supposedly can't do better. And also because it's not Fehr's job to uphold the health and integrity of the game, he's there to serve the players and their rights within their profession. He could care less of the Coyotes siphon money out of the league just so they don't fold, as long as they don't actually do it (which will never happen).

Fehr was around for the very reason Bettman is deemed to be a good commissioner. They needed someone who wasn't going to back down, and they didn't back down. This lockout was so ridiculous because the goal of it was to break the union like they did last time. They tried every which way to circumvent the process by getting the players to turn on Fehr, this they did not have respect for the process. They tried to squash the players like they thought they did last time, and failed.

Bettman is not a terrible commish, but the NHL should want better. The league considers themselves a major sport, but the revenues say otherwise. NBC's TV contract was celebrated, while the NBA, MLB and Nascar probably laughed something like that is deemed "good."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:06 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Bettman has done many things to improve the league. Owners and players - and, yes, even fans - owe him thanks for the good things he has accomplished. The NHL is not very far removed from its bush league roots, but what distance there is is largely thanks to Bettman.

That said, he has COMPLETELY ****'ed up two CBAs running.

It's time to part ways, IMO.
A pretty fair and objective assessment in my view.
When Bettman leaves I'd like to see a commissioner who at least tries to build some goodwill and trust with the players. CBA negotiations will probably always be pretty acrimonious but Bettman seems to really relish trying to antagonize the PA. A tough negotiator who can be more straight with the players would probably be a better choice.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Huh??? Is Fehr gone for good already???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
How about the horrible job of marketing the sport?
Not sure how you can say that... the game has never had more exposure...

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Except they did make concessions on contract rights with the cap benefit recapture proposal. That would have closed the loopholes. You might still see longer contracts, but most of them would end at 36 / 37, when most player retire.

It's sad that the Bettman apologists STILL aren't able to come to grips with how badly he screwed this up.
Remind me again when the PA agreed to a 50/50 linked proposal? Pretty sure it was around Christmas, which is the first time the PA was actually willing to negotiate IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
A great many pundits point to COO John Collins who joined the NHL from the NFL in 2006 as the driving force behind much of the innovation & increased sponsorship revenues, from the Winter Classic to new media streams. He may be in-line for Bettmans job if & whenever he does retire. Rumoured to have been very upset at the length of the lockout & in being excluded from negotiations while basically taking heat calls from sponsors 24-7 since last October.
You still need to give him credit for being smart enough to hire smart people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
When Bettman leaves I'd like to see a commissioner who at least tries to build some goodwill and trust with the players. CBA negotiations will probably always be pretty acrimonious but Bettman seems to really relish trying to antagonize the PA. A tough negotiator who can be more straight with the players would probably be a better choice.
That goes both ways. The PA had someone like that, and canned his ass in some middle of the night coup.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Confucius

Won't miss him, good riddance.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
You still need to give him credit for being smart enough to hire smart people.
Of course. I rather thought that sort of went without saying. Its a team effort, and he's got some good players in place. That in & of itself is a talent. Hiring good people, letting them do their job without interference, covering their backs & trusting their judgements, supporting & then rewarding their efforts.... these things and more are required of an astute Manager or Administrator, and in that regard Gary Bettmans done an admirable job. Light years from what the league's culture was all about prior to his arrival.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Agree with the sentiment and I expect Bettman will be around for awhile though its amusing to see all the Bettman haters coming out so fast and demanding his resignation.The Hockey News even has their own candidate evidently.

If its a 10 year wait until the next CBA, I doubt he'll be around that long, you never know though..

But is seems Fehr was not in for just this negotiation as many seemed to think, Garrioch said today that he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere.

He is making 3 million a year as compared to 1 million in the MLBPA.
Perhaps he wants to enjoy that for awhile.

So maybe we`ll watch these two go head to head in the next few years.I think Bettman does have the best interests of the League at heart, however Fehr seems to consider the league to be the evil employer-capitalist overlords who he should frustrate and stymie at every turn, so I'm not sure how hes going to be as a partner in growing the business.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Name one business other than pro sports that splits 50/50 with it's employees
Restaurants such as Denny's used to pay a bonus to location managers if their staffing costs came in under 47.5%. Keep in mind that 47.5% did not include all the levels of management and office staff of the company outside the store level.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Films potentially.

Name one other business other than pro-sports and film that has 700 of the top people of their trade that people will pay hundreds of dollars to see and stations will pay millions of dollars to broadcast.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Films potentially.

Name one other business other than pro-sports and film that has 700 of the top people of their trade that people will pay hundreds of dollars to see and stations will pay millions of dollars to broadcast.
It's not just the players though. Both of these guys need the other party. The NHL without players (not specifically these players, but players in general) is nothing. However the PA needs the NHL just as badly if they want to receive anything akin to the salaries they're currently making (aka ~6 times the next highest league average).

Old
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Movies.

Broadway.

Basically, pretty much any business where the product is talented people.

Last edited by Dado: 01-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Some Other Flame

It wouldn't come as a surprise if Bettman was let ago sometime within the next couple of years. He's a terribly antagonistic figure, that the bulk of players simply don't trust. For hope of future labour peace, it would be wise to let him go.

LeBrun, about an hour after the a deal was reached, said that some, not all, but some of the governors are unhappy with Bettman; that this wasn't the script he promised them. He went on to say that Bettman should be around for the 2017 centennial if the owners let him stay.

Furthermore, McKenzie on Sunday stated that Bettman's position could be considered tenuous. The big market teams wanted to play from day, and aren't happy at all with missing four months of games. The smaller markets however, believe that Bettman gave up too much in reaching a deal with the PA, and frankly, that this wasn't the result Bettman promised them earlier.

However, Bettman is on the second year of an eight year contract. So, it should be interested to see what happens.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
It's not just the players though. Both of these guys need the other party. The NHL without players (not specifically these players, but players in general) is nothing. However the PA needs the NHL just as badly if they want to receive anything akin to the salaries they're currently making (aka ~6 times the next highest league average).
Agreed, though I personally view the owners as unnecessary (but I'm aware that it's unrealistic to remove them) .

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
LeftCoast

I think the BoG meeting on Wednesday will be a contentious one. It would be unthinkable for the governors not to ratify the CBA, but from the sounds of things there are a lot of owners who are not too happy with the process.

Small market teams will question if this was the best deal possible. It seems the NHL eventually caved on the make whole, on HRR, on a defined benefit pension plan, on contract term limits, on free agent ages, on arbitration, on salary roll backs, etc. Bill Daly's 5 year contracts being the "hill we die on" is now laughable. And after all of this, in2013 we end up with a salary cap and floor which are the same as 2011.

Large markets are going to wonder why we missed half a season to end up with a deal on terms that probably could have been arrived at in September. They can not be happy about dishing out $200M in revenue sharing to prop up marginal teams or that they have alienated fans and sponsors to do so. And if the rumours about recapture of cap savings from existing long term contracts are true, there are going to be a lot of angry owners (particularly in NJ where they effectively get punished twice for the same contract).

Other owners are likely chaffing at the way they were muzzled by the commissioner's office during negotiations. In general, these are not people who are used to being told what to do or say.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
EHCler

Quote:
Well look at Services businesses likes Banks consultancies all pay more than 50% to employees.

The players are the product. Overall NHL clubs altogether will be profitable with that split.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
1ntrovert*

Bettman has done nothing but grow the game. This guy cares for the sport and the league. People who have not researched the facts around Bettkans tenure are the ones that hate him. If you actually spent time to research him and watch interviews you would realize he has been amazing for the game.

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote