HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

With lockout now over, it's time for Gary Bettman to step down

Old
01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
GuelphStormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
How do you know he didn't?
when has he ever said anything that he has meant?

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheme View Post
Your experience mirrors mine.

Certain Bettman isn't perfect (who is?). My experience as a fan since 92 towards Bettman has been initial apathy (who is this guy?), to dislike (peer mirroring, lack of understanding) up until 2004. Realized then that I was just parroting the uninformed masses who boo him in arenas. When I actually tried to justify why this guy was bad for the league and did research, and this is during the time of the 04-05 lockout, I found a lot of my initial assumptions incorrect, like that he was responsible for the Canadian teams moving. Dislike turned back into apathy over the years, and then grudging respect after 04-05, to Team Gary now after 12-13.

Usually when I hear the usual Bettman hate, I immediately ask the person why they hate Bettman so much. They usually struggle to have to think of a valid reason, or the reason they give is usually one of misunderstanding and lack of information.
Pretty much this, yes.

I did find myself asking the question "now why am I supposed to hate this guy like so many other fans?" Did some of that research too in regards to the southern markets amongst other things.

So like I said who is willing to be that lightning rod that he obviously is and grow the business too? GB and David Stern must have their own little support group for each other.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
when has he ever said anything that he has meant?
Again, how do you know this? You don't, and you can't.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Bettman has served his purpose. It is time to retrieve the game from the lawyers and move forward.

Burke is the guy! He's a hockey man and has been consistently the smartest guy in the room at governor's meetings.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Bettman has served his purpose. It is time to retrieve the game from the lawyers and move forward.

Burke is the guy! He's a hockey man and has been consistently the smartest guy in the room at governor's meetings.
And people ***** about Bettman's style. I love Brian Burke for his candor with the media. However can you imagine him as the commissioner of the NHL? He'd tell the PA to **** off, and would wait even longer to get a deal done if it wasn't to his liking.

He is someone very set in his ways, and pretty inflexible when it comes to business. I remember him as the GM in Vancouver shipping guys out because he didn't like their contract demands. Now imagine him sitting across from the PA and listening to them moan and ***** about having to take a smaller share.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
And people ***** about Bettman's style. I love Brian Burke for his candor with the media. However can you imagine him as the commissioner of the NHL? He'd tell the PA to **** off, and would wait even longer to get a deal done if it wasn't to his liking.
Yeah. In full flight Burke can be every bit if not even more obstreperous than Bettman, and that just might be what this current crop of Governors would be looking for & wanting in a replacement should Gary decide to retire or if its decided a change of face is required. No change in direction, just a new Pit Bull in charge, and Brian would be the ideal candidate for that position. The thought immediately crossed my mind while watching yesterdays Press Conference from the ACC announcing his dismissal.

Last edited by Killion: 01-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:28 AM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I find it interesting that the two Canadian owners (WIN and QUE) sold their teams to be moved, and the two American guys (MIN and HAR) moved their teams while not selling. I wonder if it was a tax thing.
From what I have read and heard, Aubut was forseeing money losses for the 1994-95 season of millions $ and even more for the 1995-96 season if the team stayed and didn't get the government bailout they asked. Not sure how credible Financial World Magazine was back then, but apparently it stated that the Nordiques made a profit every season from 1990-91 to 1994-95. Aubut's co-owners just didn't want to lose any money from the Nordiques and pressured him to sell as soon as possible. In the end they all got a nice return on investment (considering they initially bought the team from Carling O'Keefe for around $15-18 millions in 1988).

As for Bettman I wish what he did for troubled franchises since 1998 was also applied to Minnesota 1.0, Quebec, Winnipeg 1.0, Hartford and Atlanta 2.0. It makes the whole Coyotes thing look like a double standard from the NHL part (although I'm really happy Winnipeg got their team back).

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Anyone who thinks he's done a great job is dreaming. If he'd done a great job, there wouldn't have been four work stoppages during his tenure. He's the only person to lead the NHL through one work stoppage, let alone four. That's quite an accomplishment in the abject failure department.

Based on that, it is clear you don't understand the business of hockey.

Bettman took a runaway train and has slowed it down. The CBA is still tilted too far in the players' favor but Bettman can only pull it back so much at a time. It might take one more lockout to get the CBA to where it really is workable for all involved.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:02 AM
josra33

What half the people in this thread dont understand is bettman was hired to represent the owners of the league. He will not just step down because he was doing all along exactly what he was hired to do. He represented the majority of the owners. The owners could have voted him out at any time and put it to a vote on to end the lockout at any time.

This is how unions and bargaining agreements work. If its not Bettman in the chair it would be someone else.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Based on that, it is clear you don't understand the business of hockey.

Bettman took a runaway train and has slowed it down. The CBA is still tilted too far in the players' favor but Bettman can only pull it back so much at a time. It might take one more lockout to get the CBA to where it really is workable for all involved.
Glad to see the talking points for justifying the next lockout are already out. Can't wait to hear what's excuse people use for the one after that.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:40 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

He is someone very set in his ways, and pretty inflexible when it comes to business. I remember him as the GM in Vancouver shipping guys out because he didn't like their contract demands. Now imagine him sitting across from the PA and listening to them moan and ***** about having to take a smaller share.
I think he would eventualy explode because the guy is a walking volcano and his personality and his weird brain was disctracting about doing a good job with the Leafs. For example he could have signed Kessel as a RFA and only have to throw a 1st, 2nd and 3rd but felt it was below him to do that to another organisation, all that macho secret code of conduct whatever. And he got burned for it.

That being said, he's always had a good relationship with players.

The positive of Burke as Commish is that he would look like the way hockey is played in a way. Americans sees the league as this burish lawless violent sport and Burke has that image and I think they would love him for it. Let's face it, a small, uncomfortable New York lawyer doesn't spell "hockey" that much. It would be an interesting circus with Burke there.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:36 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
not when he didnt really mean it
Didn't mean it? Of course he meant it, it's just that he is one of the worst, and very nervous guys speaking publically....he has a connection to the game, albeit the business side takes it's forefront....

At least he had the gonads to speak and apologize, where was the PA in all of this, did Fehr stand up and say he was sorry for his part in all this foolishness? It took two to tango and Fehr took this to the last minute...the PA are not absolved in these fiascos...

Bettman will not be around next time when they re-negotiate, but someone else will represent the OWNERS....it's always going to be the same stuff to deal with...but hopefully the new guy will have a dance partner who will negotiate a year before it expires and they will have some labour peace...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:11 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/10/a-winning-record/

Gary Bettman is here to stay

Nice picture...

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote