HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Is Tyler Seguin's development the key to our season?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Dtb1381

vCash: 500
There is 3 keys to the bruins being a top dog In the east and winning it all.
1. 1 is tuukka he needs to be a top ten to top goaltender, if it doesn't happen we don't have enough goals to win
2. 2 is health, if the forwards stay healthy well be there, horton lucic and marchand specifacly our d has literally never been Hurt or killed besides mcquaid so I'm going to assume 5 of our 6 will be there in the playoffs, if that happens young depth or an ok deadline move will keep us as one of the best d teams in the league
3. Will be seguins developement, if he's a top 15 player/scorer we will win the Divison and potentially the east , it all comes down to tuukka and play in the playoffs, we have the experience but will everybody be there in the playoffs will be the question

Dtb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:15 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

No.

You're not going to get dominant yet. He was far from dominant despite leading the team in scoring last year. I just want a little bit better 2 way play. His point total will be fine but he's not a Hart contender yet. Far from it.

Bergeron playing like a first line center on the power play and DK having a bounceback year and also looking like a first liner are the 2 most important things to us having a big year. After that I go Lucic and Marchand producing up to their contract. After that I go Horton. And after that its the extra winger on the third line. THEN comes Seguin.

He'll be fine I just hope he doesn't suck in the playoffs.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:06 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtb1381 View Post
There is 3 keys to the bruins being a top dog In the east and winning it all.
1. 1 is tuukka he needs to be a top ten to top goaltender, if it doesn't happen we don't have enough goals to win
what

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:39 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Seguin is very close to be the superstar the Bruins saw in him when they decided to draft him. His performance will also tell the Bruins if they can move Krejci or not.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
I think it is. We're not going to be able to play and beat teams 2-1 like we did on the Cup run. And, I feel he can develop better at C. What do you think is the best line for him? I'm leaning towards a line of; Marchand - Seguin - Horton. I think playing him at RW with Bergeron takes away from his offense and Looch is too slow to keep up with him. I like the way Krejci and Lucic play together. Not the fastest line, but they are dominant on the puck. Lucic with his forecheck creates space for Krejci to operate. Hell, M. Satan looked good playing with those two a couple of years ago. I have the utmost respect for Patrice Bergeron's game and feel he can play with anyone. For now, Chris Kelly and Rich Peverly.
Not for me, the keys will be

1- Health for the team

2- Goaltending, does Tuukka convince all he is ready for #1 Full Time duty....and that means playoffs too

3- 6th D-man, DH will have his ups and downs, whomever the B`s send out there, will they be solid enough to not pull "the Corvo" with constant giveaways or will Julien far too often lean on 5 D?

4- Horty`s game- will it be the hesitant one we saw for 3 months to begin last year, or the found game he had for a month or so before the Sestito hit?

5- Krejci- will we see a Krejci who produces with the consistency this fan expects from a #1 centerman

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:11 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I think it comes down to the goalie as well. Thomas covered up a lot of their deficiencies during the cup run.
Yup...Just think back to two saves on Gionta and Downie. He doesn't rob either one and they may not
have reached the final four or finals. We all know what he did in the finals. Huge question mark in net,
never mind Seguin who should be top 2 in scoring no question.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Bruwinz37

He may lead the league in goals. He is in mid season form and is entering his third season. He is going to be with Bergeron and he has also been playing.

35 goals in 48.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Fopppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Not for me, the keys will be

1- Health for the team

2- Goaltending, does Tuukka convince all he is ready for #1 Full Time duty....and that means playoffs too

3- 6th D-man, DH will have his ups and downs, whomever the B`s send out there, will they be solid enough to not pull "the Corvo" with constant giveaways or will Julien far too often lean on 5 D?

4- Horty`s game- will it be the hesitant one we saw for 3 months to begin last year, or the found game he had for a month or so before the Sestito hit?

5- Krejci- will we see a Krejci who produces with the consistency this fan expects from a #1 centerman
Agree with all of those, #1 and #2 especially due to the congested schedule that will cause a lot of wear and tear on quite a few players I'd imagine. Prov depth may play a bigger role than we think.

Tuukka will be important, but Dobby almost equally so, as the schedule might force him to play 15+ games to ensure Rask lasts all season. No way does Rask play 40+ games like Lundqvist, Miller, Price, etc. no doubt will.

Fopppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Statistically I think he will lead the Bruins offensively again and at an even more impressive pace then last year

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Watch Seguin's goals from last year. Lucic set up a lot of them.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Pie O My

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins
B's on the ice at BU: 55, 22, 21, 54, 40, 11, 17, 63 & 44.^BISH

Are 19, 33 and 46 not in town??

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:31 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post

Seguin skated there yesterday.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Seguin skated there yesterday.
is this open to the public??

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Seguin said via twitter that he was going to Toronto for 24 hours to see his friend who was badly hurt in a car accident. Chara is reportedly traveling back to the U.S. today, so I'd suppose Krejci is as well.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Seguin said via twitter that he was going to Toronto for 24 hours to see his friend who was badly hurt in a car accident. Chara is reportedly traveling back to the U.S. today, so I'd suppose Krejci is as well.
egggsellent. It's all coming together quite nicely.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Seguin will be top 10 in scoring.

Book it.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:

Good to see #54 in that list.

DoubleAAAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Seguin will be top 10 in scoring.

Book it.
I am. Fantasy draft coming up and I'm grabbing him.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

I think this team will roll through the regular season and especially the division, so when it comes to talking about "keys" to winning or "keys" to the season, I mostly think about what it takes to win in the playoffs. So yes, I do think that Seguin is one of the keys to this team winning in the postseason.

It mainly comes down to having a player that can make great individual, skill plays in big moments, plays that can break down another team's system, that can't really be accounted for in a game plan. I think part of this has to do with the improvement of Boston's powerplay, and that becoming a tool that they can use to score at key times in the playoffs. If Seguin can become the player that other teams just can't account for, that can just beat you with pure skill, and he helps the powerplay become more reliable, then the Bruins will be real tough to beat in the post-season.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:49 AM
DaStinger
My Precious!

Send a message via MSN to DaStinger
I hope he can be a big part of our offense, however for some reason this year offense doesnt concern me too much.

My key is the defense, if DH can play with the big boys, if not (hope hes dominant), who do we plug in?

DaStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I believe rask and Seguin are the keys, this of course assuming everyone else performs up to at minimum, what is expected of them (Chara ~ 50 points w/good plus minus, krejci 65 points etc)

Whether or not we go deep will rest in how well rask does, and if Seguin can break out and be a real difference maker

Rask I have less faith in than Seguin however, and nothing against him, I just don't know

Thankfully we have (in my opinion) a back up who ought to play above expectations
Might want to adjust your points expectations considering that they will only play 48 regular season games. I think Seguin was due for a breakout season THIS YEAR. If he hits 1 ppg production or gets close, watch out!

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjcsmoke View Post
Might want to adjust your points expectations considering that they will only play 48 regular season games. I think Seguin was due for a breakout season THIS YEAR. If he hits 1 ppg production or gets close, watch out!
RIGHT

so, ON PACE FOR, not total

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
The potential is there though, dude. The reviews coming out of the Swiss league this season have been exceedingly positive, with many followers saying that Seguin was as dominant of a talent as there was during the lockout. Wider ice surface besides, that is one hell of an endorsement.

You're right that there is still a lot for him to learn, but if he can make his line a legit nightly threat, our bottom nine is going to have a much easier time finding space. He could be the cure for an anemic offense.

That said, our tipping point stands between the pipes. Even when the Bruins suffered at times on offense, Thomas was strong enough most nights to keep the team in the game. That's Tuukka's responsibility now. He has the talent (for sure)... Now we need him to employ it consistently on a nightly basis.
Seguin was definitely impressive but Tyler even said it himself in yesterday's interview; there's not only more ice but there's a lot less physicality and hitting and even he admitted that that is why he flourished in that environment.

With every season Seguin will get stronger and stronger and I think his time in Switzerland was a sign of things to come. He may be just as dominant in the NHL once he's strong enough physically and mentally for the slightly slower but more demanding NHL.

I mean just look at last season. it was his second year in the NHL and he JUST barely missed out on being a 30 goal scorer.

The Bruins are beastly when they are running 4 lines that can bite you. When they are running on all cylinders it's nigh impossible to defend against. You throw out your most defensive line and D pairings for Krejci, Horton and Lucic? Seguin, Marchand and Bergeron will be right on their heels.. You try and balance your defense to neutralize both lines? Kelly and Peverley come out of nowhere to put it in the back of the net. Even Thornton, Campbell and Paille will burn you or at the very least, tire you out and draw penalties.

So to say that our season more or less rides on Seguin is a bit silly.. but if he's playing like a 30-40 goal scorer on a line that's even tougher to score against and with 3 other great/balanced lines.. you're in REALLY good shape.

/tangent

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote