HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
I remember hearing (somewhere) that you could use an amnesty buyout both this upcoming offseason AND the next, is that right?
Yes sir

01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I don't like the prospects of Leighton playing behind this shaky and banged up defense.

01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
get this dude...

Quote:
Andy Strickland via twitter: There is no rush for the Senators to trade goalie Ben Bishop. He’s a valuable asset and they’ll look to maximize any return for him. The Senators may wait for a team that’s desperate for a goalie.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:01 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Ottawa is in a really good spot with goaltending right now. Anderson is pretty good, Lehner is apparently the second coming of Roy and Bishop is valued pretty highly from what I understand.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Ottawa is in a really good spot with goaltending right now. Anderson is pretty good, Lehner is apparently the second coming of Roy and Bishop is valued pretty highly from what I understand.
Ottawa is the antithesis of the Flyers when it comes to goalies....I liked Anderson when he was available....but no such luck. Hopefully, Bryz continues to make it a moot issue.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'm really pumped that Bryz looks good. Can we say that his weight gain was one of the main issues?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'm really pumped that Bryz looks good. Can we say that his weight gain was one of the main issues?
It had to have not helped. We can thank idiot McCrossin for supposedly suggesting he bulk up. BobbyClarkefan was the first on here I can remember that brought it up and of course he got attacked for it. Sure enough in the offseason we read how Bryz had worked off the weight and was skinny and ready....go figure

Old
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Bryz was awesome tonight. Pisses me off when I see people referring to him as horrible or the worst starter in the league (check the Rags board lol).
they whipped our ***** last season. I wouldnt be shocked by any other reaction when they lose to the Flyers. it wasnt just Bryz being subpar agaisnt them last year, it was defensively they werent very good either.
The Flyers locked it down when they had to last night. Which was probably more shocking then anything.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Snotbubbles

Bryz has been very good this year. Now we need to figure out how to score more goals. Really impressed with Luke Schenn as well.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
It had to have not helped. We can thank idiot McCrossin for supposedly suggesting he bulk up. BobbyClarkefan was the first on here I can remember that brought it up and of course he got attacked for it. Sure enough in the offseason we read how Bryz had worked off the weight and was skinny and ready....go figure
I don't think it's a coincidence that after Bryz lost weight from the flu, his play began improving last year. The extra weight theory probably has something behind it.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

When you gain weight, relexes go down. When your goalie is a reflex goalie, why the hell do you make him gain weight?

Sometimes I wonder why they keep McCrossin around.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
When you gain weight, relexes go down. When your goalie is a reflex goalie, why the hell do you make him gain weight?
I know nothing about the situation, but speculatively, maybe the idea was to give him some more mass to help his balance, to be stronger getting up and going post to post, and to battle harder when the traffic gathers in the crease.

That said, I'm not sure that body shape in goal really matters. Grant Fuhr was roundish. Dom Hasek was a stick. Both were amazing.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
That said, I'm not sure that body shape in goal really matters. Grant Fuhr was roundish. Dom Hasek was a stick. Both were amazing.
No it does matter especially if most of your career you played in whatever particular shape you have been used to..trapazoid, parallelogram, oval or whatever and then some mad scientist with crackpot ideas wants to experiment with what wasn't broken in the first place....

Old
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Body shape doesn't matter. Changing your body shape from one thing to another certainly does.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Yammer

Right, that's what I meant.

Although there's certainly nothing wrong with getting fitter, more athletic, if it doesn't throw off the rest of your game.

In Vancouver, there's quite an emphasis on fitness to the extent that the team will, like your overprotective mom, make you a boxed lunch that you can take home from practice. They got Steve Bernier and Shane O'Brien to lose weight that way, but it didn't help them a lot on the ice.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Right, that's what I meant.

Although there's certainly nothing wrong with getting fitter, more athletic, if it doesn't throw off the rest of your game.

In Vancouver, there's quite an emphasis on fitness to the extent that the team will, like your overprotective mom, make you a boxed lunch that you can take home from practice. They got Steve Bernier and Shane O'Brien to lose weight that way, but it didn't help them a lot on the ice.
Putting on a lot of muscle quickly can really screw with you. There were reports Bryz added a good amount of bulk in the offseason. It takes time to adjust your form and get used to the mass.

Some other examples: Tiger Woods put on a lot of muscle and hasn't been the same since. In NCAAF, Logan Thomas of VT put on muscle in the offseason and it killed his throwing, because he apparently didn't have enough time to "re-learn" how his arm worked. Once you quickly add or subtract bulk you have to adjust your form and that can take time. In the meantime, your performance won't be the same.

Edit: Or back to goalies, if you bulk up and put muscle on your shoulders and arms, that's extra weight for your legs to push around. It will affect your speed and movement.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

so far, this is what i expected / hoped for from Bryz.

i saw no reason for doom and gloom predictions from several here,
or the few people here who are / were openly rooting for him to fail.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Codith

Bryz looks bigger in net, like he is able to cover more of it. Also his side to side movements are much better and more of what I expected from him. If he plays like this we should be ok.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:05 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Putting on a lot of muscle quickly can really screw with you. There were reports Bryz added a good amount of bulk in the offseason. It takes time to adjust your form and get used to the mass.

Some other examples: Tiger Woods put on a lot of muscle and hasn't been the same since. In NCAAF, Logan Thomas of VT put on muscle in the offseason and it killed his throwing, because he apparently didn't have enough time to "re-learn" how his arm worked. Once you quickly add or subtract bulk you have to adjust your form and that can take time. In the meantime, your performance won't be the same.

Edit: Or back to goalies, if you bulk up and put muscle on your shoulders and arms, that's extra weight for your legs to push around. It will affect your speed and movement.
and it turns to fat so quick. if he wasn't a guy that was big on the weights than that's even worse. goalies don't need to lift is all there is too it. they need muscle in certain places. like all the core stuff to stay steady and be able to battle in the crease but actual weight gain from muscle is useless. reflex wise tho, he's all over it. panthas are next fool!

Old
01-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
and it turns to fat so quick. if he wasn't a guy that was big on the weights than that's even worse. goalies don't need to lift is all there is too it. they need muscle in certain places. like all the core stuff to stay steady and be able to battle in the crease but actual weight gain from muscle is useless. reflex wise tho, he's all over it. panthas are next fool!
agreed, goalies need core and legs. Squats lots and lots of squats, letting them be explosive off the posts. Mike Richter was famous for his leg workouts, dude had tree trunks for legs.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
kicksave27

Goaltending is mostly mental, knowing angles, positioning, being square, and situations, basically knowing where to be before the puck gets there, reading the play. If goalies are relying on their physical reflexes all the time, it's really not good, you want the guys that make it look easy.

The most useful goaltending exercises I ever did were not weight related, they were reaction related, most were not even that physically strenuous, they were hand eye coordination exercises. I think umberger did something like that before his breakout year. I don't think conditioning is as important as some might think. Kinda like hitting a baseball, it's more coordination and approach than fitness.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:46 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Some other examples: Tiger Woods put on a lot of muscle and hasn't been the same since.
This is a terrible example. Tiger Woods has not been the same since due to multiple knee surgeries, not the weight he put on. He put on the weight as part of an effort to compensate for his knee's inability to take the torque his old swing used to put on it. Additionally, he changed his entire swing due to the knee problems and he's absolutely killing it right now, so we might yet see the old Tiger.

Your point about Bryz is still valid, but this was a very poor example.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
This is a terrible example. Tiger Woods has not been the same since due to multiple knee surgeries, not the weight he put on. He put on the weight as part of an effort to compensate for his knee's inability to take the torque his old swing used to put on it. Additionally, he changed his entire swing due to the knee problems and he's absolutely killing it right now, so we might yet see the old Tiger.

Your point about Bryz is still valid, but this was a very poor example.
I used that point because after talking to a couple golf pros, they both agreed the large amount of muscle he put on has just as much, if not more, to do with his issues than the knee issues. Apparently putting on that much bulk would have had a very high potential to throw his swing out of whack.

Edit: One of them even thought the jump in upper body strength and the changes it brought to his form might be responsible for his knee problems.

I personally suck at golf so I can't really say for sure. I'm just going off what more knowledgeable people told me.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Goaltending is mostly mental, knowing angles, positioning, being square, and situations, basically knowing where to be before the puck gets there, reading the play. If goalies are relying on their physical reflexes all the time, it's really not good, you want the guys that make it look easy.

The most useful goaltending exercises I ever did were not weight related, they were reaction related, most were not even that physically strenuous, they were hand eye coordination exercises. I think umberger did something like that before his breakout year. I don't think conditioning is as important as some might think. Kinda like hitting a baseball, it's more coordination and approach than fitness.
I hear what you're saying, and if you're not coordinated fitness is certainly useless. I agree with that 100%, but I also think leg conditioning is VERY important. I used to be a decent (but not amazing) middle distance runner (5k in ~20.5 minutes @ 5'11'' and 215lb) and squat 275 for reps. After a 2 minute 5 on 3 my legs were on fire, but I was still able to move and stay square to the puck at the top of the crease as it was getting passed around (as opposed to sitting back in net and just turning my head). I think muscular conditioning in the legs is really important for penalty killing and staying with the play for extended periods (overall aerobic fitness less so). That was just my experience though, and it's not meant to discount yours.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:58 AM
FlyersFan61290

When I was still playing, like in HS, for more then just fun I had a crazy workout schedule. My football coaches put me on it but overall I just felt quicker in net and more confident. I did a whole lot of core stuff, lots of squats including front squats but I also did everything else too. Playing hockey/football and doing lots of cardio helped me not get huge but I still had some bulk and the strength I needed for both sports. since then I no longer play sports on a regular basis and I've all but stopped doing cardio but have maintained the weight training and have consequently gained a significant amount of weight. If i were to try and play now i would be terrible relatively speaking, not just because of the rust but because of my bulk. I guess my point is everyone is different and they have to find the right balance in their workout regimen. For me it was lots of weight training and cardio most likely more so then other goaltenders.

Closed Thread