HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
at least bryz is playing well & thats what is most important.

to most.
agreed. i think this is just venting on leighton right now tho. from what I'm reading it doesn't seem like everyone's all anti bryz, its just leighton sucks and we had bob and we didn't give him time to grow. i don't care that we traded him but i don't think 3 low level picks is enough for an NHL goalie that is now a starter. what were we trying to do just stock the titans? it seems like people are like "we didn't get 1 pick we got 3" but their 3 worthless picks. we could've gotten legitimate players for him let alone him with someone else. idk. as far as I'm concerned we gave him away.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
If we acquired an actual goaltending solution instead of signing Leighton, we probably still have Bob in the wings. He gets sent to the AHL to develop instead of getting tossed into the fire, then having his starts drastically cut because the inevitable goaltending collapse made Snider want Bryzgalov signed probably for the rest of his (Snider's) life.

The Leighton signing ended up being a disaster in more ways than anticipated. It was clearly a mistake at the time, but only because it was clear he wasn't as good as the organization thought he was. The butterfly effect down the road was much worse; we took on an albatross of a contract and traded away our best goalie prospect in ages.

01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If we acquired an actual goaltending solution instead of signing Leighton, we probably still have Bob in the wings. He gets sent to the AHL to develop instead of getting tossed into the fire, then having his starts drastically cut because the inevitable goaltending collapse made Snider want Bryzgalov signed probably for the rest of his (Snider's) life.

The Leighton signing ended up being a disaster in more ways than anticipated. It was clearly a mistake at the time, but only because it was clear he wasn't as good as the organization thought he was. The butterfly effect down the road was much worse; we took on an albatross of a contract and traded away our best goalie prospect in ages.
I know I'm biased but i do agree with what your saying. i like bryzgalov but i also, before we signed him, would've been content to see where bob was headed. i thought we were weird with him in the playoffs in 2011. but i was a fan of bryzgalov before we got him and we made the deal because we thought we were gonna be younger and faster up front for laviolette's system with pronger and our defense plus goalie makin up for the youthful mistakes leaden to a maybe 3 year cup window. as soon as pronger went down it was over. now were just plugging holes and hoping,but if we didn't have the patience for bob we could've at least made a better decision regarding his trade. he wasn't rick nash but look at the league. i can think of at least 10 teams that need a goalie like him. some of them must be willing to part with an NHL player. it seemed to be a rushed move.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Allow me to switch the discourse back to Leighton since this is now a Bryz/Goaltending thread.

I believe Leighton is the root of all problems this year..clearly his suckitude in practice is giving the Flyers a false sense of goal prowess hence the lack of offense against true NHL goaltending talent (minus the Florida game)...

Old
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I have a feeling, and I could be wrong about this, but I just have a feeling that if the Flyers hung on to Bob and didn't sign Bryz you would still find something to complain about unless Bob turned out to be a legit franchise goalie. If he didn't, then I can envision you calling out Homer for not signing a Bryz or other available goalie and betting it all, so to speak, on a flash in the pan. I really can't imagine you being ok with any decision relating to the goaltending situation. There are too many ways to point out Homer's "bad" moves with the benefit of hindsight that unless he makes the absolute 100% right choice, you would likely still complain.

Don't get me wrong, I was not a fan of the Bryz contract from the beginning. I didn't mind him as the goalie, but I thought the length was too much. But I also wasn't sold on betting everything on Bob, which is my guess how the team felt. Maybe you would have been ok giving him the reigns at that point, or signing another stop-gap and hoping he turns into a #1. But understandably, the team felt that that strategy wouldn't work. So they went with the best goalie available. Bob became expendable due to the fact Bryz was taking the #1 job for the foreseeable future. It was unlikely that Bob would ever be the starter here from that point on. You can say he painted himself into a corner and frame it that way to make it seem like a bad move, but in the end it was a GM trying to sign a franchise goalie with a proven track record instead of putting his faith the first 50 games of an unproven 22 year old. I don't really see too many GMs making the opposite choice (maybe a different contract term, but it still would lead to the same result of Bob being dealt). Once again I could just as easily see you ripping Homer for missing out on Bryz and going with Bob if Bryz had a better year last year elsewhere and Bob made out the way he did.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Allow me to switch the discourse back to Leighton since this is now a Bryz/Goaltending thread.

I believe Leighton is the root of all problems this year..clearly his suckitude in practice is giving the Flyers a false sense of goal prowess hence the lack of offense against true NHL goaltending talent (minus the Florida game)...
lets just not make a mistake like starting any other goalie than bryzgalov again. he's our guy. were paying him. he's playin great. ride this shiz out. screw a backup. we need to go 1920's (no backups) on this season's ass.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Beef...seems in other posts on Bob your Beef with him is that we have to see him play a full season and that you are not confident that he has the mental fortitude to be consistent. In essence, you feel like Meltzer that Bob will most likely be a fringe starter in his career similar to Nitty and Biron?

I'm just hearing some dissonance and need some clarification? If we had kept Bob, it sounds like from previous posts you wouldn't have been totally confident in him either?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

you can joke all you want but it's the truth 100%

just kidding

Old
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have a feeling, and I could be wrong about this, but I just have a feeling that if the Flyers hung on to Bob and didn't sign Bryz you would still find something to complain about unless Bob turned out to be a legit franchise goalie. If he didn't, then I can envision you calling out Homer for not signing a Bryz or other available goalie and betting it all, so to speak, on a flash in the pan. I really can't imagine you being ok with any decision relating to the goaltending situation. There are too many ways to point out Homer's "bad" moves with the benefit of hindsight that unless he makes the absolute 100% right choice, you would likely still complain.
I'm not looking back with hindsight. I've been saying the Leighton signing is a mistake since it was announced. I was expressing concern and disappointment about Bob getting thrown straight into the NHL instead of the AHL for seasoning from the start; I believe funghoul and I had debates about that. I expressed concern about his ability to make it through a whole season from the start, and then it turned out he couldn't make it. The main thing I didn't expect was the overreaction that led to signing Bryzgalov to a high hit for an absurd length, and abandoning the "develop Bob" option. I really wanted them to work on developing their own goaltenders, so I don't see why I'd fault them for trying. I'm currently pleased we seem to be sticking to Gus, and we have Ghost laying around, for instance. You don't see me wailing about how we should have drafted Hamilton instead, eh?

I wouldn't be calling Homer out for not signing Bryz. It was apparent from the start based on numerous rumors that Bryz wanted a big contract. I was perfectly happy to let someone else give him that, considering his age. I was content to develop our own goalie for once, and if it failed like the others...oh well. I'm done with signing expensive FAs or trading propects and picks to fill every tiny gap in the defense and goal. I don't envision myself criticizing Homer for trying to develop those positions. I envision myself criticizing the development process and scouting if it always goes wrong, but not the choice to do it. Being able to develop well all around and building a strong prospect pool gives your team the best chance for success in the cap era; right now we're really good at finding young forwards, and deficient in finding Dmen and goalies...and it holds us back.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I was not a fan of the Bryz contract from the beginning. I didn't mind him as the goalie, but I thought the length was too much.
Absolutely, agreed. His performance last year was a disturbing, eye-opening, and concerning surprise. Aside from that I expected when we signed him that we'd have good goaltending for a few years....unfortunately, his contract extends well beyond the point where you can expect good goaltending.

Quote:
But I also wasn't sold on betting everything on Bob, which is my guess how the team felt. Maybe you would have been ok giving him the reigns at that point, or signing another stop-gap and hoping he turns into a #1. But understandably, the team felt that that strategy wouldn't work.
Well, it appears the team could be wrong...yet again. Signing Vokoun for two years to help Bob along wouldn't have been a bad thing. Bob is currently looking better than ever in Columbus, which isn't surprising since we know he's very coachable. Bob had shown almost no reason to panic over him; instead it seems Snider got impatient and it led to an over-reaction. Instead of betting everything on Bob, now we're betting everything on a goalie who's only getting older, with a high cap hit we're stuck with for ages unless we buy him out...then we're really SOL, since we have nobody in line behind him. The "Vokoun/develop Bob" route would've been just as valid and of roughly equal overall risk as the "sign Bryz forever" route...except it had better potential future upside.

Quote:
So they went with the best goalie available. Bob became expendable due to the fact Bryz was taking the #1 job for the foreseeable future. It was unlikely that Bob would ever be the starter here from that point on. You can say he painted himself into a corner and frame it that way to make it seem like a bad move, but in the end it was a GM trying to sign a franchise goalie with a proven track record instead of putting his faith the first 50 games of an unproven 22 year old. I don't really see too many GMs making the opposite choice (maybe a different contract term, but it still would lead to the same result of Bob being dealt). Once again I could just as easily see you ripping Homer for missing out on Bryz and going with Bob if Bryz had a better year last year elsewhere and Bob made out the way he did.
As mentioned, I preferred the Vokoun/Bob route. I wanted to avoid overpaying Bryz. Again, why would I suddenly do a complete 180? On top of that, Vokoun outperformed Bryz on a team worse than ours last year...hard to say I'd have sufficient reason to complain about not signing Bryz, since we'd have had a solid enough goalie AND a young guy for the future...which was exactly what I wanted Homer to do. Why would I complain about him doing what I thought was best overall?

You can say he's unproven, but he showed an incredible amount of potential. It's not like Bob is 26/27 and at his physical peak. He still has a lot of upside, but he does still need a good amount of development...aside from season-long stamina (which should come in time), he's shown significant improvement each year so far, so it's not like developing him should have been considered hopeless.

Instead, we're going with someone who, realistically speaking, has maybe 3 or 4 more good seasons in him before he begins declining...unless he's one of those rare goalies.

As far as long-term plans go, the Bryz signing is not a good one. Especially since, if others are to be believed, Bryz completely collapses if any prospect with potential is on the team with him.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Beef...seems in other posts on Bob your Beef with him is that we have to see him play a full season and that you are not confident that he has the mental fortitude to be consistent. In essence, you feel like Meltzer that Bob will most likely be a fringe starter in his career similar to Nitty and Biron?

I'm just hearing some dissonance and need some clarification? If we had kept Bob, it sounds like from previous posts you wouldn't have been totally confident in him either?
some people just have other ideas bout which way to go. there were a lot of options at one point in the last 2 years.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

I do think that, right now, he lacks the mental stamina, or what have you, to go a full season. However, he's still a young guy and has plenty of time to learn how to mature, pace his brain, and figure out how to keep from unraveling.

It's entirely possible that he doesn't ever learn that skill. However, it's also entirely possible he can learn that skill.

So far, the Flyers do the "wrong" thing when it comes to goalies. We go to FA to get them instead of developing our own. I'd like to see us try the "right" thing and fail, than continue signing FA fill-ins or tying ourselves to a huge contract like Bryz; looking through my mental records, teams have less success overall with FA goalies.

When is the last time a goalie that wasn't raised on a team, but was brought in through FA, won a Cup? It looks like Giguere might qualify (via trade, though), but it seems he spent a lot of his time coming up in Anaheim so I'm not certain that counts. Teams have more success raising and developing their own goalies. I'd like to see the Flyers get with it and learn how to do that.

Nice Beef pun, btw

Old
01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
I do think that, right now, he lacks the mental stamina, or what have you, to go a full season. However, he's still a young guy and has plenty of time to learn how to mature, pace his brain, and figure out how to keep from unraveling.

It's entirely possible that he doesn't ever learn that skill. However, it's also entirely possible he can learn that skill.

So far, the Flyers do the "wrong" thing when it comes to goalies. We go to FA to get them instead of developing our own. I'd like to see us try the "right" thing and fail, than continue signing FA fill-ins or tying ourselves to a huge contract like Bryz; looking through my mental records, teams have less success overall with FA goalies.

When is the last time a goalie that wasn't raised on a team, but was brought in through FA, won a Cup? It looks like Giguere might qualify (via trade, though), but it seems he spent a lot of his time coming up in Anaheim so I'm not certain that counts. Teams have more success raising and developing their own goalies. I'd like to see the Flyers get with it and learn how to do that.

Nice Beef pun, btw
khabibulen, hasek, belfour, vernon, roy. there's been a lot of goalies brought into teams that may not have won it the year they were signed but were brought in for that reason. i'm not oblivious to that list looking like a who's who of the 90's tho. ha. but still. we never made that move. thats why i was happy we finally did it. bob was good but he could just wind up being another roussel or soderstrom or boucher or nitty. we made a move for a guy. at the time it looked pretty damn good. i think he will give us 3 or 4 more good years. the contract is long. but its long to circumvent. i was sick of vanbiesbrouck, cechmanek, hackett, and biron. if bob wins a vezina or a cup with columbus and bryz stays here and nothing happens then we will know who was right. but as flyers fans we both know what we want to happen.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Teams have more success raising and developing their own goalies. I'd like to see the Flyers get with it and learn how to do that.
Goal is by far the most volatile position to draft, though. I'd be very disappointed if the Flyers started wasting 1st rounders on goalies. Spending a 2nd rounder every now and then (like Stolarz) is acceptable, though. As is holding onto 7th round picks with great promise and impressive track records - but alas!

Old
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
khabibulen, hasek, belfour, vernon, roy. there's been a lot of goalies brought into teams that may not have won it the year they were signed but were brought in for that reason. i'm not oblivious to that list looking like a who's who of the 90's tho. ha. but still. we never made that move. thats why i was happy we finally did it. bob was good but he could just wind up being another roussel or soderstrom or boucher or nitty. we made a move for a guy. at the time it looked pretty damn good. i think he will give us 3 or 4 more good years. the contract is long. but its long to circumvent. i was sick of vanbiesbrouck, cechmanek, hackett, and biron. if bob wins a vezina or a cup with columbus and bryz stays here and nothing happens then we will know who was right. but as flyers fans we both know what we want to happen.
Back when buying goalies was a good move, the Flyers weren't doing it. Now that it's a bad move, they're doing it.

Flyers hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Goal is by far the most volatile position to draft, though. I'd be very disappointed if the Flyers started wasting 1st rounders on goalies. Spending a 2nd rounder every now and then (like Stolarz) is acceptable, though. As is holding onto 7th round picks with great promise and impressive track records - but alas!
Yeah, I don't think they need to start using first rounders on goalies, but putting serious effort and thought into drafting them (and more Dmen) instead of goons who never see the NHL would be nice. Using their firsts on forwards works out well.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I guess we can expect the return of the BUM.

Morganti was just on the pregame saying how Bryz is better than the King.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
If you jinxed us...

Old
01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If you jinxed us...
Look at Pitt.

Their announcers call them "The Greatest Show on Ice" and they instantly drop two.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I guess we can expect the return of the BUM.

Morganti was just on the pregame saying how Bryz is better than the King.

that is ********. lundqvist didn't play overseas did he? nobody's established until at least two weeks go by.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I'm not looking back with hindsight. I've been saying the Leighton signing is a mistake since it was announced. I was expressing concern and disappointment about Bob getting thrown straight into the NHL instead of the AHL for seasoning from the start; I believe funghoul and I had debates about that. I expressed concern about his ability to make it through a whole season from the start, and then it turned out he couldn't make it. The main thing I didn't expect was the overreaction that led to signing Bryzgalov to a high hit for an absurd length, and abandoning the "develop Bob" option. I really wanted them to work on developing their own goaltenders, so I don't see why I'd fault them for trying. I'm currently pleased we seem to be sticking to Gus, and we have Ghost laying around, for instance. You don't see me wailing about how we should have drafted Hamilton instead, eh?
Fair enough. I must have misread your initial post, glossed over the Leighton issue. Haha.

Quote:
I wouldn't be calling Homer out for not signing Bryz. It was apparent from the start based on numerous rumors that Bryz wanted a big contract. I was perfectly happy to let someone else give him that, considering his age. I was content to develop our own goalie for once, and if it failed like the others...oh well. I'm done with signing expensive FAs or trading propects and picks to fill every tiny gap in the defense and goal. I don't envision myself criticizing Homer for trying to develop those positions. I envision myself criticizing the development process and scouting if it always goes wrong, but not the choice to do it. Being able to develop well all around and building a strong prospect pool gives your team the best chance for success in the cap era; right now we're really good at finding young forwards, and deficient in finding Dmen and goalies...and it holds us back.
I was more talking about if Bryz had a good season elsewhere and Bob put up the numbers he did here. I know it is just a hypothetical, but you and I both know that if that went down HFBoards would be ablaze with people saying Homer was stupid not to sign Bryz. That's where my hindsight reference was coming from. Again, that is obviously a hypothetical example.

Quote:
Absolutely, agreed. His performance last year was a disturbing, eye-opening, and concerning surprise. Aside from that I expected when we signed him that we'd have good goaltending for a few years....unfortunately, his contract extends well beyond the point where you can expect good goaltending.
Yep.

Quote:
Well, it appears the team could be wrong...yet again. Signing Vokoun for two years to help Bob along wouldn't have been a bad thing. Bob is currently looking better than ever in Columbus, which isn't surprising since we know he's very coachable. Bob had shown almost no reason to panic over him; instead it seems Snider got impatient and it led to an over-reaction. Instead of betting everything on Bob, now we're betting everything on a goalie who's only getting older, with a high cap hit we're stuck with for ages unless we buy him out...then we're really SOL, since we have nobody in line behind him. The "Vokoun/develop Bob" route would've been just as valid and of roughly equal overall risk as the "sign Bryz forever" route...except it had better potential future upside.
The team absolutely could have been wrong. I think it is too early to make that call at this point, but again, going the Vokoun/Bob route could have just as easily left us in the same position we were in before last season, searching for a true #1 goalie. The way I look at it is they had a choice between two gambles. Sign the high profile FA Goalie to a monster deal or sign a stop-gap and hope that your young guy develops. One has the risk of tying up cap money that could hurt the team down the line, but the reward of signing a guy that has established he can compete at a high level. The other has the risk of winding up in the same situation with nothing to show for it, but the reward of a potential #1 goalie if the young guy develops and more cap space. I really don't see too many other teams (unless it is a cap-floor type team who can't give out a sizeable contract) going with an unknown 22 year old goalie with 50 or so games under his belt total over a former Vezina candidate. I would be able to get behind your argument a little more if Bob was a highly touted prospect that the organization invested a high draft pick on.

Quote:
As mentioned, I preferred the Vokoun/Bob route. I wanted to avoid overpaying Bryz. Again, why would I suddenly do a complete 180? On top of that, Vokoun outperformed Bryz on a team worse than ours last year...hard to say I'd have sufficient reason to complain about not signing Bryz, since we'd have had a solid enough goalie AND a young guy for the future...which was exactly what I wanted Homer to do. Why would I complain about him doing what I thought was best overall?
Like I said above, my hindsight example involved Bryz playing well for another team. It also didn't involve Vokoun. I know we had this discussion during that offseason, but IIRC Vokoun specifically said he didn't want to come to Philadelphia.

Quote:
You can say he's unproven, but he showed an incredible amount of potential. It's not like Bob is 26/27 and at his physical peak. He still has a lot of upside, but he does still need a good amount of development...aside from season-long stamina (which should come in time), he's shown significant improvement each year so far, so it's not like developing him should have been considered hopeless.
I am not knocking Bob, but he certainly was (and is) unproven. He played around 50 games in the regular season and put up impressive numbers. He followed that up by an ugly playoff run. While there was clearly something to be excited about, it was far from a guarantee that he would up the same numbers he did the year before. My point is as I stated above. They could stick with Bob and tried to develop him and hope he pans out. Or go with a proven guy. They went with the proven guy.

Quote:
Instead, we're going with someone who, realistically speaking, has maybe 3 or 4 more good seasons in him before he begins declining...unless he's one of those rare goalies.
I hear you on that, and like I said, the contract is too long. The thinking, I would assume, is that the team was close to a championship team. They needed a goalie. They sacrificed some bad years at the back end for a chance to win in the near future. Kind of like the opposite of the Bob scenario where they would be potentially sacrificing some good years in the beginning and hoping for the chance to win at the end.

Quote:
As far as long-term plans go, the Bryz signing is not a good one. Especially since, if others are to be believed, Bryz completely collapses if any prospect with potential is on the team with him.
I said this from the get go (and we argued about it at length, so I don't really wanna get back into it)...if he wins us a Cup I have no problem with the length, $$$, etc. I do think it is too long, I agree with you there, but if he hoists that Cup over his head I won't bat an eyelash.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Shame Bryz is beasting and the team sucks.

Knowing our luck, the team will start beasting and Bryz will start sucking.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:35 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Poor Bryz.

Hes legit been left out to dry this game.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Skaters deserved to lose by about 10, luckily Bryz didn't deserve that.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Bryz needs to blast these guys.

Seriously

Old
01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

In two weeks, when our team doesn't suck anymore, Bryz will start playing awful.

Not a shot at Bryz, but more a shot at our luck. Bryz is playing out of his mind, and we can't do **** in the offensive zone.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Somebody post a clip of Bryz telling the team to calm down

Closed Thread