HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Alabama vs Notre Dame BCS Title Game (final polls added)

Old
01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Really, you are going to list almost winning a B1G division as some sort of achievement this season? They were actually 3 games away from doing that too.

Conference affiliation mean jack **** when they don't play a round robin schedule. So then you actually have to look at who they played. There is a gigantic drop off in the SEC after the top 6, and the bottom is just flat out awful. Guess where Miss St's 4 SEC wins came from? That's right, they were vs the 2 worst teams in both SEC divisions.

The Ole Miss team that blew out Miss St in the Egg Bowl got obliterated by Texas this season. At least Oregon St and UCLA have proven to be above that level.

Last edited by Brad Tolliver: 01-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

wow better than the 8th best SEC team... such a feat. you still haven't explained why those 2 teams are good wins. any team with 4 or 5 losses is not a good win for a "top 5" team like stanford. thats part of playing with the big boys... not only do you beat those teams but you spank them. kind of like how baylor did to ucla.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Georgia had 1 win vs teams with less than 4 losses, and somehow you have them in the top 3. That one win came against a team that got blown out by a Big East team. That's "big boy' football yall!

Going by your logic, the rankings should look like this, because only results vs Alabama matter:

1. aggy
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. LSU
5. Ole Miss
6. Miss St
7. Tenn
8. Mizzou
9. Arkansas
10. Auburn
11 Michigan
12. ND
13. FAU
14. Western Kentucky
15. Western Carolina

Old
01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
NoNecksCurse

no discussing college football with people like you. why even respond with a troll post like that? you dont think georgia is top 5? well, the polls say otherwise. you might as well get use to SEC dominance. its not going anywhere.. lap it up. you can hate but thats not gonna change the fact that all the other conferences right now are on some ***** ****. oregon state, ucla, texas are not good teams

Old
01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

By all means, enlighten everyone here on Georgia's wins against good teams. I will even list all their wins for you:

Buffalo (8 losses)
@Mizzou (7 losses)
FAU (9 losses)
Vandy (4 losses)
Tenn (7 losses)
Kentucky (10 losses)
Florida (2 losses)
Ole Miss (6 losses)
Auburn (9 losses)
Ga Southern (4 losses - in the FCS)
Ga Tech (7 losses)
Nebraska (4 losses)

Oh, guess who were ranked ahead of both Vandy and Nebraska in the polls? Texas and Oregon State.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
no discussing college football with people like you. why even respond with a troll post like that? you dont think georgia is top 5? well, the polls say otherwise. you might as well get use to SEC dominance. its not going anywhere.. lap it up. you can hate but thats not gonna change the fact that all the other conferences right now are on some ***** ****. oregon state, ucla, texas are not good teams
I get the feeling that you really don't like it when someone disagrees and say otherwise.

As for the bolded.

He started the SEC streak, he'll be the one to end it.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I get the feeling that you really don't like it when someone disagrees and say otherwise.

As for the bolded.

He started the SEC streak, he'll be the one to end it.
and so what if meyer wins a title next year? that doesn't mean the dominance is over. did you see my earlier post about final top 25... the SEC is too strong top to bottom and that will not go anywhere. 5 teams in top 10, 7 in top 25. ohio state will win a title in the next few years with the way urban recruits but that won't change the SEC's dominance

Old
01-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
More like he can't handle any discussion where he will actually back up his claims with something other than conference affiliation or polls.

See how is he now trying duck out of the Georgia claim by ignoring it because he knows he has nothing of substance to back that up with?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:21 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

One thing SEC guys don't get is that conferences don't win football games, football teams do. Alabama proved to be clearly better than the rest, everyone else ehh not so much.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:29 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
and so what if meyer wins a title next year? that doesn't mean the dominance is over. did you see my earlier post about final top 25... the SEC is too strong top to bottom and that will not go anywhere. 5 teams in top 10, 7 in top 25. ohio state will win a title in the next few years with the way urban recruits but that won't change the SEC's dominance
I saw your post, so? This is just going in circles.

Brad, I've noticed that the entire time.....not surprised.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:40 PM
NoNecksCurse

@brad tolliver - as hard as you are trying to dismiss georgia as top 5 and not even top 10 by they beat them who beat ______ who sucks.. thats nice and i can see some of your points. but when you start leaving them out of the top 10? come on.. we all have different viewpoints but I think bias is getting in the way (does with me too from time to time)

ill leave you with these links with georgia's strength of schedule at #4 and #26 with that same website having georgia #4 (independent ranking).. that site is well established and "unbiased". they have them at #4 with a good SOS

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Old
01-12-2013, 07:52 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
More like he can't handle any discussion where he will actually back up his claims with something other than conference affiliation or polls.

See how is he now trying duck out of the Georgia claim by ignoring it because he knows he has nothing of substance to back that up with?
ignoring what? your post shows nothing .. i can go down the list and say this team wasnt good or this team was that. want me to do with notre dame? ohio state? clemson, florida state?

georgia has wins against nebraska, vanderbilt, florida. really should have beaten alabama. then a stinker against south carolina. how do you not even have them in the top 10?

you never said who your favorite team was.. ohio state? good to see couple of SEC haters team up on me lol. going in circles? im backing up everything i say and just tryjng to point out the double standards

i just find it odd you have 5 SEC teams in the top 10 .. but no georgia.. to each their own. im not worried if you guys think this that.. that is fine. my team won it all. i just get sick of people trying to bash the SEC for no reason. im a bama fan and when it comes to bowl season, I root against the SEC unless its someone i pull for (i like manziel). im not here to start the typical ******** back and forth. if you dont see where im coming, fine. cause honestly i cant really see where you are coming from either. roll tide.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
The SEC is so strong because they spend the most money and the best athletes in the south play football. in the north if you are 6'4, 230, you probably will be playing hoops instead of playing linebacker or safety.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I know they just got by Wisconsin, but I think Stanford is the best team right now. Shaw is a great coach.
He is and he also was helped by a lot of players recruited by Harbaugh.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
ill leave you with these links with georgia's strength of schedule at #4 and #26 with that same website having georgia #4 (independent ranking).. that site is well established and "unbiased". they have them at #4 with a good SOS

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
These teams either had a tougher SOS than Georgia and same or fewer losses:

Alabama
aggy
ND
South Carolina
Florida
K-State
Stanford
LSU

Then you add in 1-loss Oregon and undefeated tOSU. That's 10 right there.

Quote:
georgia has wins against nebraska, vanderbilt, florida. really should have beaten alabama. then a stinker against south carolina. how do you not even have them in the top 10?
One of Nebraska's losses came against UCLA, so according to you they would be no good. The Oregon and Oregon State teams are better than Vandy and Florida.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:10 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
None of you understand that teams tend to have a bad game at least once a season. One bad game doesn't mean **** in terms of how good a football team is.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Hockeyfan02

I'm bored so I'll put a top 10 together. Judging them on the whole season, not just right now.

1)Alabama...obvious
2)Oregon...probably the national title winner if they don't lose to Stanford
3)Notre Dame...bad end to the year but they still went undefeated in the regular season with one of the country's toughest schedules.
4)Stanford...Ended the year strong, winning at Oregon was extremely impressive and probably should've beaten Notre Dame.
5)Kansas State..won the Big12 which is a tie-breaker with some of the teams below them.
6)Georgia...A tipped pass away from maybe getting to the title game, getting housed by South Carolina keeps them out of the top 5.
7)Florida...played up/down to their opponents all year and had a bad bowl game, but had the most wins against quality opponents this year. Their ranking is purely resume based not eye test.
8)Texas A&M...Hottest team in the country to end the year, only behind Florida because they lost to them at home. If they'd lost in Gainesville I'd probably flip them.
9)South Carolina...really caught a bad break having Georgia, @LSU, and @UF in consecutive weeks.
10)Florida State...they beat Clemson so they get the final spot here.

-I didn't rank Ohio State because they were ineligible for anything significant. I'm not sure where I would've ranked them TBH..they went undefeated but played a very weak schedule(not their fault the conference was bad) without an impressive win on their resume. Would've been nice to see them bowl eligible and play one of the teams on the list to get a gauge for how good they are.
-I don't think there's a big difference between 3-10, I think they could all beat each other and it's really nitpicking deciding between them.
-Don't have a set formula but if the two teams played and have a similar record I go with the team that won head to head. Of course that's complicated when Georgia beat Florida who blew out South Carolina who blew out Georgia etc....

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
This is freaking nonsense, the top of the SEC yeah is very strong but the bottom is among the weakest of all major conferences right now. The tail end of the SEC is a bunch of patsies who had a hard time with Sun Belt teams this season.

Right now a lot of people (especially the media) are saying "SEC" when what they really mean is "Alabama".

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:11 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
This is freaking nonsense, the top of the SEC yeah is very strong but the bottom is among the weakest of all major conferences right now. The tail end of the SEC is a bunch of patsies who had a hard time with Sun Belt teams this season.

Right now a lot of people (especially the media) are saying "SEC" when what they really mean is "Alabama".
the top equals alabama, florida, lsu, georgia, south carolina, texas a&m.. then vanderbilt if you want to throw in top 25s.

how is it nonsense? the SEC is too dominant. who competes with them top to bottom? oregon, stanford from pac 12 with who else? or kansas state, oklahoma big 12? I wont even list the big 10.. there are some years the SEC has had competition for title of best conference (last year) but this year its not even remotely close.

not sure if your taking when I say top to bottom as literally.. im meaning good teams from each conference top to bottom the SEC is dominant. 5 teams in the final top 10, 7 in top 25.

pac 12 had 2 in top 10, 3 in top 25

big 10 had 1 in top 10, 4 in top 25 ( both include top 25)

big 12 had 0 in top 10, 2 in top 25

thats what im meaning from top to bottom. not including the kentucky, missouri, washington state, illinois, ect.

i could go down the list and say why every SEC team doesn't deserve the ranking they have (including alabama).. but just the overwhelming ranked teams they have year in year out is why the conference gets it praise, sometimes a bit much but mostly deserved.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

So did Florida

Bazinga!

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
the top equals alabama, florida, lsu, georgia, south carolina, texas a&m.. then vanderbilt if you want to throw in top 25s.

how is it nonsense? the SEC is too dominant. who competes with them top to bottom? oregon, stanford from pac 12 with who else? or kansas state, oklahoma big 12? I wont even list the big 10.. there are some years the SEC has had competition for title of best conference (last year) but this year its not even remotely close.

not sure if your taking when I say top to bottom as literally.. im meaning good teams from each conference top to bottom the SEC is dominant. 5 teams in the final top 10, 7 in top 25.

pac 12 had 2 in top 10, 3 in top 25

big 10 had 1 in top 10, 4 in top 25 ( both include top 25)

big 12 had 0 in top 10, 2 in top 25

thats what im meaning from top to bottom. not including the kentucky, missouri, washington state, illinois, ect.

i could go down the list and say why every SEC team doesn't deserve the ranking they have (including alabama).. but just the overwhelming ranked teams they have year in year out is why the conference gets it praise, sometimes a bit much but mostly deserved.
So by saying dominant from top to bottom, you mean only the top teams and not the bottom teams. That makes a lot of sense.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
DaaaaB's

My final top 10:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Texas A&M
4. Stanford
5. Ohio State
6. Notre Dame
7. South Carolina
8. Kansas St.
9. Georgia
10. Florida

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:40 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think a dark horse team will be the Louisville Cardinals. They have Bridgewater who's only a sophomore, a decent defense that can keep up with most teams, and proved that they can beat top competition beating Florida (I don't buy the whole 'they didn't care because they didn't make it to the Championship game') outright. They'll probably start in the top 15 and with a weak big east schedule, they can go undefeated. They just need to learn to be consistent and Bridgewater needs to stay healthy

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote