HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

David Schlemko to Ottawa

Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
inthewings

vCash: 500
David Schlemko to Ottawa

To Ottawa:
David Schlemko

To Phoenix:
Shane Prince

With Cowen out, Ottawa is in the unenviable position of having Mike Lundin 5th on the depth chart, and a whole bunch of question marks after that.

Schlemko intrigues me as an Ottawa fan for a few reasons (though I haven't seen a whole lot of him):
- He played tough ES minutes beside Klesla last year, the pair facing better competition than any Phoenix defender except OEL.
- He's a decent shot-blocker.
- From what I understand he's fairly competent at moving the puck.
- He's only 25 and has some controllability.

Phoenix has a solid group of NHL d-men, and a bunch of NHL-ready youngins ready to step in and learn on the job. With Schlemko expendable, do they take the opportunity to pick up a skilled forward prospect and clear a spot for a younger guy?

Last edited by inthewings: 01-08-2013 at 11:28 PM.
inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Kaizen

That deal might work - I certainly don't think it's dial tone material.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Sureves

Sure. No idea what Phoenix says though.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Not so high on trading Shane Prince away

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Schlemko is an established NHL defensman in Phoenix's eyes at this point. His early years, he was just a call up. These past two years however, he has turned into a solid 3rd pairing guy. We don't NEED to trade him, hence we probably won't.

He won't fetch a big name player, and the only reason Phoenix trades a defenseman is for immediate help. The most Schlemko fetches is a mid round draft pick, or B-C level prospect. He's worth more than that, so we'll keep him.

We expect players like Morris, and possibly even Klesla to be in trade talks, because they are not dice rolls, and teams pretty much know what they are getting and what to give for them.

We expect prospects like Rundblad, Stone, Summers, Murphy and possibly even Gormley to be in trade talks because they have high potential, and could fetch a decent return.

Schlemko is right in the middle of those groups.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
as a Homer,i think Stone might be the missing link for Spezza linemates, and Silfverberg being the replacement for Alfie next year, I want Shane Prince as back up for either players. I want all three, so would rather try a FA to fill the dman gap for three weeks or so.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:50 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
It's not that I don't think Prince can't be an NHL player, but I don't think he's going to become an NHL player under Tippett. If he was already established, then maybe. We already have a slightly older, smallish player in Miele who probably isn't going to play under Tippett.
Schlemko (who I was frightened of when he first played) became a steady dman, averaging 20 minutes a game before he got hurt last year. I'm betting the organization values that over another unproven small, but creative forward. Just my tuppence.
He had the game of his young career against Hall and the Oilers last year. I'd try to ship him there if we were moving him haha

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

Schlemko certainly earned the trust of Tippett, which says something, but hes really only had about half a season of high level play for us (plus a very stellar playoff beard). It's a little early to say whether or not Schlemko will be expendable for us since we don't really know who is ready for full time. Stone looks like he is, Summers maybe, Rundblad is close but I don't know if he's quite there yet.

Honestly though, I wouldn't expect a team to give up a prospect like Prince for Schlemko right now (unless there is something up with Prince that I'm not aware of). If Schlem had another year under his belt of the type of play he did last year before injury then he may be worth more, but he didn't look good after coming back from injury. It may have just been rust from missing half the year, but maybe he simply came off whatever high he was riding and that was the real Schlemko, so the jury is still out on where he is really at. I'm 50/50 on if I'd do it or not.

However, Ottawa should be aware that Schlemko and Turris have a history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVCGf9Q5WY

Quote:
Uploaded on Dec 29, 2010

Turris (wearing white) tries to fight his own teammate david schlemko after being slashed in the balls. only caught the end.
dec 27 ice den phoenix arizona

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote