HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

05 Entry draft,what should we go for?

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2005, 10:48 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
05 Entry draft,what should we go for?

Assuming there is an entry draft in 2005 what do you people think we should focus on?
The draft is likely to be heavily weighted and based on the 03/04 final regular season standings,so our position is probably around the mid twenties area.Its been rumored that the 1st round order may be reversed for the 2nd round meaning we would pick for example 24th and 36th overall,but thats strictly speculation.
Of course if there's a solid skill forward that slips down to our position or we get the lucky ball to drop early enough we should address our shortage of top line forward prospects.I consider this the leanest of our prospect areas closely followed by goaltending.
Also i'm thinking we take someone like Devereax Heshmatpour 6'06" 240lbs of the Oshawa Generals or Joe Finlay 6'07" 230lbs of Sioux Falls in the 2nd round.One thing we've needed yet neglected to acquire is one of these crease clearing beasts and its haunted us many many times.In fact i would seriously consider taking one of these two or a player of similar stature with our 1st rounder.
Anyone have a favorite that could potentially be available at 25th(estimated position) when we pick?

Old
02-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

vCash: 500
Nice. We dont have a second rounder.

WE GET KOPITAR!

I dont think Kopitar will be available where we pick. If he's not then i dont know. Im only yellin for Kopitar.

Devereax Heshmatpour SUCKS!

Old
02-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Assuming there is an entry draft in 2005 what do you people think we should focus on?
The draft is likely to be heavily weighted and based on the 03/04 final regular season standings,so our position is probably around the mid twenties area.Its been rumored that the 1st round order may be reversed for the 2nd round meaning we would pick for example 24th and 36th overall,but thats strictly speculation.
Of course if there's a solid skill forward that slips down to our position or we get the lucky ball to drop early enough we should address our shortage of top line forward prospects.I consider this the leanest of our prospect areas closely followed by goaltending.
Also i'm thinking we take someone like Devereax Heshmatpour 6'06" 240lbs of the Oshawa Generals or Joe Finlay 6'07" 230lbs of Sioux Falls in the 2nd round.One thing we've needed yet neglected to acquire is one of these crease clearing beasts and its haunted us many many times.In fact i would seriously consider taking one of these two or a player of similar stature with our 1st rounder.
Anyone have a favorite that could potentially be available at 25th(estimated position) when we pick?
The best short-term hope the team has may be if the league ultimately institutes, as some have suggested, a wide-open lottery for the next entry draft. The winner would bag junior star Sidney Crosby.

"We've got a lottery ticket for that one," said Ferguson with a broad smile. "Gee, I can't think of any other way to do it."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes

Old
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

You take the best player available.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:14 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
Nice. We dont have a second rounder.

WE GET KOPITAR!

I dont think Kopitar will be available where we pick. If he's not then i dont know. Im only yellin for Kopitar.

Devereax Heshmatpour SUCKS!
Thats right i forgotwe have no 2nd.

Why is Heshmatpour so terrible?
I've never seen him play,but we desperately need someone of considerable size to keep those big opposition forwards out of our goaltenders face.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Thats right i forgotwe have no 2nd.

Why is Heshmatpour so terrible?
I've never seen him play,but we desperately need someone of considerable size to keep those big opposition forwards out of our goaltenders face.
Heshmatpour is the guy who only has size going for him. A bad skater, very very slow. Correct me if im wrong, was he the one, when races, came second to the GOALIE?

Old
02-25-2005, 11:19 PM
leafaholix*

There's no chance 16 playoff teams from 2003/04 accept a draft based on that season. Teams were compensated for their mediocrity last draft, they cannot and will not be compensated again.

As for players and the Leafs, I like...

Nicklas Bergfors
Tuuka Rask
Carey Price
Alex Bourret (apparently a Leaf fan, grew up in Quebec)
Marc Staal (stud)
Tom Fritsche
James Neal
Teemu Laakso
... etc...

Dev Heshmatpour is a brutal player, I was a supporter of his before I actually saw him play. Think... umm, Chris McAllister.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:29 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Heshmatpour is the guy who only has size going for him. A bad skater, very very slow. Correct me if im wrong, was he the one, when races, came second to the GOALIE?
Ya we dont want a slowpoke no matter how big he is.You cant help if your 20 feet behind the guy.
Any big guys with wheels and toughness that could handle the Primeaus and Charas?
I'm not really concerned with them being offensive.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Ya we dont want a slowpoke no matter how big he is.You cant help if your 20 feet behind the guy.
Any big guys with wheels and toughness that could handle the Primeaus and Charas?
I'm not really concerned with them being offensive.
If Marc Staal fills out, rather... when he fills out, I think he has top 4 potential very easily.

He was tremendous in the CHL all-star game, a lanky Chris Pronger type... I'm sure there's a better NHL comparison out there, but I can't think of one, I haven't watched NHL hockey in almost a year.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I'm just so glad we have our 1st rounder. I was holding my breath at the last trade deadline.

Old
02-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Christ

Quote:
Perfect...another Wade Belak...can Hestmatpour at least fight?

Old
02-25-2005, 11:52 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
If Marc Staal fills out, rather... when he fills out, I think he has top 4 potential very easily.

He was tremendous in the CHL all-star game, a lanky Chris Pronger type... I'm sure there's a better NHL comparison out there, but I can't think of one, I haven't watched NHL hockey in almost a year.
I thought of Staal and if he's there when we pick he's probly the right guy for us.I was just a little concerned he was getting a bit of a high rating based on his surname.Does he play physical?

Old
02-26-2005, 09:03 AM
emillie

Carl O'Steen: Thats funny, when I first this thread the first player I thought of was Marc Staal but you beat me to it. I'm a big fan of what I call Defense by Committee. By this I mean rather then having a defense based around one or two studs, a couple good defensemen and a couple ok-bad defensemen; a team has 6 defensemen that are good. No stud but also no real weak link that makes you cringe when they are on the ice. No Lidstrom but no Woolley. No Niedermayer but no Brown.

I think if you add a player like Marc Staal to the young defensemen already in the Leafs system like Colaiacovo, White, Bell, Vorobiev and the rest the Leafs would be well on their way to building a defense that, while lacking a superstar, doesn't really have a weak link either.

leaflover: Yes Marc Staal does player a physical brand of hockey. I would say he plays a game similiar to Jay Harrison, but he's much better at moving the puck and on the offensive side of things then Harrison is.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Twist and Shout

All I'm hoping for is Kopitar....

Old
02-26-2005, 10:38 AM
TML

no cba = no draft..

Old
02-26-2005, 10:51 AM
BuppY

The players I would like the Leafs to draft but it will depend on where they pick. If they have a top 5 pick I would like the Leafs to select Benoit Pouliot he is a type of a player Leafs have been missing, I have seen him play this year about 7 times and I liked what i've seen, he is going to be a very good player if he reaches his potential. If the Leafs get a top 15 pick I would like the Leafs to draft Niklas Bergfors, he is a very good player, unlike Robert Nilsson he gives 110% every night from what I've heard and is a very special player, would look great alongside Alexander Steen in the future. Anze Kopitar is another guy that I like never saw him play but have heard some great things about him, he has great size and is a very good playmaker, but can also put the puck in the net. If the Leafs were to draft a defencemen in the first round I would like to see Marc Staal being drafted, his game is very well rounded and is a great defencemen and doesn't have that big weaknesses some defencemen have.

Old
02-26-2005, 11:02 AM
richardn

I would like to see the Leafs draft Daniel Ryder .

Old
02-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

A few of my Fav's depending on where we pick.

Gilbert Brule
Marek Zagrapan
Nicklas Bergfors
Alex Bourret
Marc Staal

I would love for it to be Zagrapan ....

I can't wait to listen to Bob Cole and Harry Neale call a Leaf Game ..with a Leaf Line of

Ponikarovski..Zagrapan..Kukumberg

That would tie up any announcer ..

Old
02-26-2005, 11:30 AM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I would like to see the Leafs draft Daniel Ryder .

I think he'll go somewhere in the 2nd round.. I like him too but I think if the Lefas had a 2nd round pick he would have been the guy I would have liked the leafs to draft.

Old
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
emillie

Dan Bertram also looks like he'd be a good, late first round pick

Old
02-26-2005, 01:41 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I can't wait to listen to Bob Cole and Harry Neale call a Leaf Game ..with a Leaf Line of

Ponikarovski..Zagrapan..Kukumberg

That would tie up any announcer ..
They haven't my last name, with 14 letters.

Old
02-26-2005, 01:44 PM
stugotz

Wherever we pick I think we need help in all area's. I dont think we need any depth defence, Forwards or goalies, so if we are lucky enough to have a chance to pick a top rated Forward go for it. We need a superstar forward, because too many people are realying heavily on Steen to come through in a big way. I think our defensive prospects are good right now, and i dont see a reason to use our first rounder on a d-man. I'd go for a forward, But if a high ranked goalie is still available i'd take the goalie. I dont see Ford, Pogge, or Racine as a #1 in the NHL.

Old
02-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz
Wherever we pick I think we need help in all area's. I dont think we need any depth defence, Forwards or goalies, so if we are lucky enough to have a chance to pick a top rated Forward go for it. We need a superstar forward, because too many people are realying heavily on Steen to come through in a big way. I think our defensive prospects are good right now, and i dont see a reason to use our first rounder on a d-man. I'd go for a forward, But if a high ranked goalie is still available i'd take the goalie. I dont see Ford, Pogge, or Racine as a #1 in the NHL.
We definately need to select a forward in the first round. Some of the best goalies are drafted in the later rounds as they develop the most after being drafted, and scouts often cannot get a good read on their potential.

Old
02-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I think we might see the Leafs trade up, or try to acquire additional 1st round picks.

Old
02-26-2005, 02:07 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
I think he'll go somewhere in the 2nd round.. I like him too but I think if the Lefas had a 2nd round pick he would have been the guy I would have liked the leafs to draft.
Ya I bet the Habs take him with their second round pick if he is still available when they pick. I don't think he would be available in the third round and I don't think he would likely go in the third round so I don't think he will be an option for the Leafs. I personally think he will be better then Micheal Ryder in my opinion.

Closed Thread