HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

05 Entry draft,what should we go for?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2005, 02:18 PM
It Kills Me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Ya I bet the Habs take him with their second round pick if he is still available when they pick. I don't think he would be available in the third round and I don't think he would likely go in the third round so I don't think he will be an option for the Leafs. I personally think he will be better then Micheal Ryder in my opinion.
We should get him, like sibling rivalry. When the Leafs and Sens play.

Old
02-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Charge_Seven

We can't even really estimate as to where we'll pick, it's too tough. We might even wind up with Crosby (theoretically).

If we got a shot at a top level pick, not being Crosby, I'd be all over Johnson, however, in all likelihood we'll be the 16th pick, or somewhere in the middle like that. If they have a shot at Tuka Rusk and don't take him, I'll be pretty unhappy. The same goes for a guy like Pouliott.

I hope the Leafs go out and draft a budding powerforward type, as Mr. Roberts aint stickin around much longer. They should also look at all trade avenues (up or down) that could see them pikc the guy they want, as late as possible, IE: If they like a guy alot who's supposed to go 30th, trade to #30 and hope to get him, as well as pick up a later round selection. We need to fill our prospect pool up. With plenty of strong players selected in later rounds recently, Earl being the most notable, we need those picks.

Old
02-26-2005, 03:52 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
We should get him, like sibling rivalry. When the Leafs and Sens play.
You mean the Habs.. lol

Old
02-26-2005, 04:40 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
You mean the Habs.. lol
Same difference... both are get no respect from me, except for being Canadian.

Old
02-26-2005, 06:03 PM
emillie

PepNCheese: I'd be great to see the Leafs jump in the first round or get a couple more first round picks, either in 2005 or the next couple drafts. But who do they have that could get them first round picks. The only two players they have that I could see other teams wanting for a first round pick would be McCabe or Kaberle.

GregStack: I don't think trying to guess where a player they like will be picked, and trading down to that pick just to get some extra ones is a smart idea. What if that player they like goes at #25 instead. They would still have 2 picks instead of one, but not the player they wanted. If theres a player they want I'd rather see them trade up to make sure they get him rather then gamble. Thats the reason we have Doherty instead of Pat O'Sullivan right.

Old
02-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
PepNCheese: I'd be great to see the Leafs jump in the first round or get a couple more first round picks, either in 2005 or the next couple drafts. But who do they have that could get them first round picks. The only two players they have that I could see other teams wanting for a first round pick would be McCabe or Kaberle.

GregStack: I don't think trying to guess where a player they like will be picked, and trading down to that pick just to get some extra ones is a smart idea. What if that player they like goes at #25 instead. They would still have 2 picks instead of one, but not the player they wanted. If theres a player they want I'd rather see them trade up to make sure they get him rather then gamble. Thats the reason we have Doherty instead of Pat O'Sullivan right.
We've done it before with Antropov.

I'm looking at it in the sense that the player was lesser known and the team is 99% sure somebody will not take him. Take Blake Wheeler for example, he would likely have dropped another 10 spots prior to getting picked, and that could have meant Pheonix would have been able to pick him up later (after trading back) and draft someone in the 3rd round as well.

Yes, it's possible the team could get burned, but sometimes risk is worth it.

Old
02-26-2005, 06:59 PM
emillie

GregStack: I'm not saying jumping up in the draft is undoable, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Just that the Leafs have very few assest's that teams would give up a draft pick for. I like to look at it this way, if you an NHL GM and the Maple Leafs wanted your first round pick what would you want in return? And assuming there will be some kind of salary cap in place before any trade can happen only limits the options even more.

As for the waiting. The Leafs thought they were safe waiting till pick #57 to get O'Sullivan and they got stuck with Doherty. Unless they are only trading down one spot and are assured that the team they are trading too won't take said player, I say either move up or stand pat.

Old
02-26-2005, 07:03 PM
ATG

1:30 odds to get Crosby. But if we move into the top 10 I will be happy

Old
02-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
GregStack: I'm not saying jumping up in the draft is undoable, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Just that the Leafs have very few assest's that teams would give up a draft pick for. I like to look at it this way, if you an NHL GM and the Maple Leafs wanted your first round pick what would you want in return? And assuming there will be some kind of salary cap in place before any trade can happen only limits the options even more.

As for the waiting. The Leafs thought they were safe waiting till pick #57 to get O'Sullivan and they got stuck with Doherty. Unless they are only trading down one spot and are assured that the team they are trading too won't take said player, I say either move up or stand pat.

I know that you weren't saying it was impossible.

As for O'Sullivan, thats the risk you have to take. Sure, it bit them in the arse, however sometimes a move like that works out well, such as the Bluejackets last year.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
1:30 odds to get Crosby. But if we move into the top 10 I will be happy
As much as I don't believe we're going to get him...could you imagine that? lol

People would be FURIOUS.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
People would be FURIOUS.

That just makes me want him more than ever.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:

People would be FURIOUS.
lol..that would make it even more worthwhile. i guarantee there would be threads on how the draft was rigged.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
1:30 odds to get Crosby.
At first glance, 1:30 odds of getting Crosby sounds good for us Leaf fans.

Only problem is that would mean teams like Philly, Ottawa and Tampa would also have a good chance of getting him. And that would suck.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:24 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
I wonder if Carey Price might still be around when the leafs pick.
He's a pretty solid goalie on a rather poor team.Rated #1 NA goalie by CSS in a draft where there doesnt appear to be a clear cut #1.Theres is usually 1 or 2 that are considered blue chippers but i haven't heard that claim made about this years crop.I watched him play the Cougars in December and he looked really good.If i remember correctly Tri City lost the game on a couple Cougar PP goals,but it certainly wasn't Prices fault.

http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=23787

Old
02-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Transplanted Caper

Obviously the dream scenario would be to strike lightning and win the lottery and pick Crosby. However, I really think that the chanes of that are somewhat low . So there are a couple of options we can look at. Firstly, we can trade up in the draft and try and acquire a top rated prospect. If we do this I think we should go after the forward with the most skill. It would be great if we could develop a set of homegrown stars. Hopefully we're on the way to this with Colo, Steen and Stajan, but i still think we need more. Once the new CBA is in place we wont have the same monetary advantage as we did before and it becomes even more important to have the prospects within our own system.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
lol..that would make it even more worthwhile. i guarantee there would be threads on how the draft was rigged.
Heck, if we get anytihng but number 30, and then trade it away, there'll be thread about how it was rigged.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:34 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Quote:

People would be FURIOUS.
It would be hilarious. :lol
His stock would drop immediately,he would instantly become the most overrated prospect in the history of sports.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
I'm thinking McCabe. Because his contract is expiring, it makes it easier to move a la NBA. There will be plenty of teams that would take him who have cap room, and might give us a package of a 1st round pick and a nice forward prospect. I would much rather keep Kaberle.

First we have to find out where we are picking though, because that tells us how much we have to give up to better our position.

If we have any mathematical shot at Crosby at all, then that must mean that we have a chance to move up too.

So all that has to be determined.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
Obviously the dream scenario would be to strike lightning and win the lottery and pick Crosby. However, I really think that the chanes of that are somewhat low . So there are a couple of options we can look at. Firstly, we can trade up in the draft and try and acquire a top rated prospect. If we do this I think we should go after the forward with the most skill. It would be great if we could develop a set of homegrown stars. Hopefully we're on the way to this with Colo, Steen and Stajan, but i still think we need more. Once the new CBA is in place we wont have the same monetary advantage as we did before and it becomes even more important to have the prospects within our own system.
I think we need to raise our talent level. We need some marquis-level(rather than "solid") talent.

At some point Ferguson has to come through on their focus on "procuring assets for the future". That should involve some moves to acquire rather than trade away future assets, one would think.

I'm excited to see how our new scouting staff performs. This upcoming draft will be big for sure.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I think we need to raise our talent level. We need some marquis-level(rather than "solid") talent.

At some point Ferguson has to come through on their focus on "procuring assets for the future". That should involve some moves to acquire rather than trade away future assets, one would think.

I'm excited to see how our new scouting staff performs. This upcoming draft will be big for sure.
I agree with you.

We may even see marginal players Berg, Pilar, and others traded away for later round picks. I think our scouting team that has what, doubled, Since last draft will pull out a few late round gems.

Tucker would probably garner some interest.

Old
02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
emillie

GregStack: But did the Blue Jackets guess that Picard would be picked with the #11 pick and get that one, or hear that other teams weren't looking at him until about the 15th pick and moved to #11, giving them a bit of a buffer? I just don't like the idea of trading to pick you think other teams would pick him at, why not a couple a head to make sure or at least increase the chances of getting who you want?

PepNCheese: I think the other way would be better for the Leafs, I would much rather keep McCabe given the choice. If the Leafs are going to bring up a lot of young defensemen like Colaiacovo and White they will need a leader on the blueline to help them along. McCabe is an assistant in Toronto was the Captain in New York, I think it was New York. And doesn't Kaberles contract expire the same year that McCabes does? Hes also younger and makes less money, which would make him very attractive to other younger teams. But if John Ferguson does make a trade to jump up in the draft I think its a safe bet that either McCabe or Kaberle will be going the other way.

And you are right, the Leafs need to add some elite prospects to their system, not just good ones, cause right now there is no one to replace the elite players they have. A lot of people here think they need or should get a power foward, I think Benoit Pouliot would be a great player for the Leafs to jump up and get. Like some of the other top fowards in this years draft like Brule Bourret and Ryan hes got very good hands, is a good skater and isn't shy about going into the high traffic area's and will take a hit to make a play. However hes got something those guys will never have, 6'3".

Last edited by emillie: 02-27-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old
02-27-2005, 01:23 AM
richardn

I personally would like to see us get a top winger with the depth we have up the middle already. We are also loaded with deffence. Goaltending would be my second option with our 3rd round pick. If we had a second round pick Ryder would be my man. As for our first round pick I am hoping we can get a top 5 pick and get Benoit Pouliot or Bobby Ryan. If we wind up arround 10th to 15th Staal would be my man.

Old
02-27-2005, 09:00 AM
emillie

Would anyone want to see the Leasf take a chance on Andrew Cogliano if they are unable to move up and Marc Staal is gone by the time they get to pick? Hes got speed to burn and great agility. Soft hands around the net and top line NHL potential. His stock as fallen cause hes only been playing ok in the OPJHL, but he is only in that league cause of his age, he really should be in the NCAA

Old
02-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I personally would like to see us get a top winger with the depth we have up the middle already. We are also loaded with deffence. Goaltending would be my second option with our 3rd round pick. If we had a second round pick Ryder would be my man. As for our first round pick I am hoping we can get a top 5 pick and get Benoit Pouliot or Bobby Ryan. If we wind up arround 10th to 15th Staal would be my man.
Is he Michael Ryder's brother?

Old
02-27-2005, 09:15 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archijerej
Is he Michael Ryder's brother?
Yes he is.

Closed Thread