HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Another Caps Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Another Caps Proposal

Caps-Avalanche Proposal

To Col: Jared Aulin or Jakub Klepis

To Wash: Ossi Vaananen or Kurt Sauer

Reasoning: Being a fan of neither team, I have no idea if this works. That being said, I think this deal adresses both teams needs. Washington needs dmen right now. Colorado has defensive depth.
Sauer is 24 and 6'4, 220lbs. Not a big salary 1,102,000$. Not overly physical but is a responsible dman. Can be a good stay at home guy.
Vaananen is 24 as well and is 6'4, 215lbs. Salary is only 1,000,000$. Physical guy who can move the puck.

Colorado, on the other hand, needs exciting prospects, especially at Center. They have no one there. Klepis or Aulin instantly become their top C prospect and maybe their no.2 or 3 prospect.

Aulin is 22, and has shown he can play well in the AHL level and is ready to step into an NHL role. With Forsberg a question mark, and Damphousse perhaps done, Aulin could fight for a spot in camp.
Klepis is a little younger, 20, and I don't know if he's ready for NHL work. He's not tearing it up in the AHL, but he has talent.

The problem is it might be overpayment on Washington's behalf. They are loaded in prospects though, so maybe they could afford it if Col throws in a draft pick. Furthermore, Wash has 3 good C prospects, so losing 1 wouldn't hurt them too much imo.

Personally I think the Vaananen for Klepis would be the better deal.

Thoughts, comments,...close or not at all...

Old
02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Caps-Avalanche Proposal

To Col: Jared Aulin or Jakub Klepis

To Wash: Ossi Vaananen or Kurt Sauer

Reasoning: Being a fan of neither team, I have no idea if this works. That being said, I think this deal adresses both teams needs. Washington needs dmen right now. Colorado has defensive depth.
Sauer is 24 and 6'4, 220lbs. Not a big salary 1,102,000$. Not overly physical but is a responsible dman. Can be a good stay at home guy.
Vaananen is 24 as well and is 6'4, 215lbs. Salary is only 1,000,000$. Physical guy who can move the puck.

Colorado, on the other hand, needs exciting prospects, especially at Center. They have no one there. Klepis or Aulin instantly become their top C prospect and maybe their no.2 or 3 prospect.

Aulin is 22, and has shown he can play well in the AHL level and is ready to step into an NHL role. With Forsberg a question mark, and Damphousse perhaps done, Aulin could fight for a spot in camp.
Klepis is a little younger, 20, and I don't know if he's ready for NHL work. He's not tearing it up in the AHL, but he has talent.

The problem is it might be overpayment on Washington's behalf. They are loaded in prospects though, so maybe they could afford it if Col throws in a draft pick. Furthermore, Wash has 3 good C prospects, so losing 1 wouldn't hurt them too much imo.

Thoughts, comments,...close or not at all...
I would do the Vaananen for Aulin deal. I would not trade Klepis for any of the mentioned prospects. He has looked very good in Portland. Boychuck is a known favorite in Capland. I'd give ya Fleischmann for him.

Old
02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
Boychuck is a known favorite in Capland. I'd give ya Fleischmann for him.
Caps are getting Fleisched.

Old
02-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
I would do the Vaananen for Aulin deal. I would not trade Klepis for any of the mentioned prospects. He has looked very good in Portland. Boychuck is a known favorite in Capland. I'd give ya Fleischmann for him.
That's interesting. I thought Caps fans would rather have Aulin than Klepis. Isn't Aulin more NHL ready? But if Klepis has a higher ceiling, I could see why you wouln't want to deal him.

Yeah, I used to watch Boychuk when he was with the Hitmen. I've always liked him. I haven't followed him much since he left them though. But he seems to be doing well.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Ossi Vaananen is one of the best young dmen in the league.

Caps couldn't come close to getting him for either of those prospects.

Borro is always going on and on about how valuable B. Witt is. Ossi V. is basically a better, cheaper, and younger version of the same player. Expecting him in return for this price is unrealistic, to say the least.

As for Aulin, what exactly has he ever done that would make anybody think he is a top center prospect, with his 2 NHL goals and three do nothing seasons in the AHL? He seems like the epitome of a marginal prospect to me. I don't think he has even shown he is an impact player at the AHL level.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 02-24-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old
02-24-2005, 11:10 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Pierre Lacroix traded Jared Aulin away.

No thanks.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

RIAL - You're not going to get a all indignant about how badly Ossi V. is being underrated here? That fellow could play in the top four on any team in the NHL.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:11 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:

LOL!!

Overpayment!?!

You want to get our #3 defenseman, who's young, NHL proven and a ROCK on defense for marginal prospects?

_AND_ for us to toss in a draft pick?

Dillusional, buddy.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:16 PM
leafaholix*

Ossi > Klepis or Aulin.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:17 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
As for Aulin...
As for Klepis, my love affair with him lasted about 37 seconds after Ottawa picked him and the first player Muckler compared him to when the TSN interviewer asked was Radek Bonk.
Me at home... "WHAT??? You idiots picked him again?" ("him" = Bonk)

Also, he only becomes as "good" as Bonk if everything goes perfectly. Yay!

Old
02-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
LOL!!

Overpayment!?!

You want to get our #3 defenseman, who's young, NHL proven and a ROCK on defense for marginal prospects?

_AND_ for us to toss in a draft pick?

Dillusional, buddy.
I'm not a fan either team so I'm just throwing it out there. The first part about overpayment was in regards to Sauer, who is not as good as Vaananen. I was saying for Sauer it might be overpayment so the Vaananen deal would be better.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Ossi > Klepis or Aulin.
Ossi > any two Islander defensemen combined. That is how highly I think of this player.....

Old
02-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:

Oh my god. You would not trade Klepis for Vaananen?

You are officially out to lunch.

Vaananen is worth Klepis, Aulin AND Fleischmann.

This thread is too ridiculous.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Ossi > any two Islander defensemen combined. That is how highly I think of this player.....
He may be young and cheap... but a 30 point differential is a lot to make up for (in terms of defensively play). And that is only 1 of any top 4 NYI D-men.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
from a colorado fan, i guess my response of 'big fat no' isn't needed, but i'll reiterate..

two average prospects for a very good (potential for amazing) young rock of a dman.. no thank you

i'll throw this little tidbit of verbal blasphemy out there (hopefully luring moebeagle/bigtrain/dinocicca...etc..) there is not one player on the washington capitals i would trade ossi vaananen for...

Old
02-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Ossi Vaananen is worth a lot more than any of the players mentioned in the thread. He may not get the ink, especially in the East, but he is very, very good. Colorado would not consider dealing him for a prospect, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I am not especially high on Sauer. I don't think there is a deal here.

Old
02-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
Oh my god. You would not trade Klepis for Vaananen?

You are officially out to lunch.

Vaananen is worth Klepis, Aulin AND Fleischmann.

This thread is too ridiculous.

Agreed.

Old
02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
from a colorado fan, i guess my response of 'big fat no' isn't needed, but i'll reiterate..

two average prospects for a very good (potential for amazing) young rock of a dman.. no thank you

i'll throw this little tidbit of verbal blasphemy out there (hopefully luring moebeagle/bigtrain/dinocicca...etc..) there is not one player on the washington capitals i would trade ossi vaananen for...

Bull ****. If someone threw Semin or Ovechkin on your table, you'd trade him in a second. Although the trades are a bit ridiculous, a Semin for Ossi trade could work, couldn't it?

Old
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Although the trades are a bit ridiculous, a Semin for Ossi trade could work, couldn't it?
Why would the Avalanche do this?

Ossi Vaananen is their #3 defenseman, and continues to progress. The Avs had to give up Derek Morris and Keith Ballard in the trade to get Vaananen(and Chris Gratton and a 2nd round pick), so why would they turn around and trade him for a small, unestablished NHL forward?

One cannot question the talent of Alexander Semin, but this is a massive step backwards for the Avalanche and luckily, this team has the right mentality; win hockey games, not accumulate the nicest collection of prospects.

Vaananen is a proven, #3, bone-crushing, stay-at-home defenseman for one of the best teams in the NHL.

And the Caps want to get him for a prospect?

Good riddance.

Old
02-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Andora is one of the most widely respected posters here (and one of my personal favorites), and one of the posters who knows a lot more about the game than most of us ever will. You, on the other hand, have earned ZERO credibility on this board with your childish tirades and one-sided posts.

In any case, Andora never claimed to be taking Washington's perspective, and never claimed that a deal was in the interest of Washington. He simply said that the AVs wouldn't trade Ossi V. to Washington. That seems like a reasonable statement, based on Col's situation and Ossi V.'s play. I'm not sure why that got your buns in such an uproar, but whatever.....

Old
02-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Why would the Avalanche do this?

Ossi Vaananen is their #3 defenseman, and continues to progress. The Avs had to give up Derek Morris and Keith Ballard in the trade to get Vaananen(and Chris Gratton and a 2nd round pick), so why would they turn around and trade him for a small, unestablished NHL forward?

One cannot question the talent of Alexander Semin, but this is a massive step backwards for the Avalanche and luckily, this team has the right mentality; win hockey games, not accumulate the nicest collection of prospects.

Vaananen is a proven, #3, bone-crushing, stay-at-home defenseman for one of the best teams in the NHL.

And the Caps want to get him for a prospect?

Good riddance.
I guess I underrated Vaananen quite a bit. From Colorado standpoint, I saw Liles being close to no.3 and Skrastins equal to Vaananen. I like Skrastins game quite a bit though so that's bit of a bias on my part. But you follow Col more closely and if you think Vaananen is that good, then in all likelyhood, he won't be moved.

But I'll tell you the flaws I see in his game and tell me what you think. He's solid, and I see him developing into a solid staty at home guy, but not elite. First he has very little offensive upside imo. I don't think he'll ever get 20 points in a season. I might be wrong though. Second, he isn't very mobile. He can skate decently, but his mobility is an issue to me. That being said, from what I've seen he's a responsible guy in his own zone.

I guess I overrated Sauer too. I just like him. If he could play a little more physical, he would be really good. He skates well for a big guy and plays well positionally. Not much offensive upside though but can be a solid stay at home guy. Where do you think he fits into Col plans?

Old
02-25-2005, 01:01 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEBEAGLE
Ok Andora, you have my attention. This prove a point I have about you and most of the other unknowledeable posters on this board, and that is all of you put together have the knowledge and understanding of the game of hockey as a DEAD COCKROACH. But that aside, since you all continue to believe that you know what washington needs are and how best the for them to fill those needs, please apply for the general managers position and see how far you get.

Washingtonat this point in time has no need for ANY PLAYERS players from, regardless of what position they play. And if and when they do want to trade for a player it will only be after they have determind who they will keep and what they need. That process will take at least two years because they are not going to the playoff for at least 3-4 years . Since that will be their course of action, the evaluation process will not be RUSHED no matter who or what other teams want or needs.

And one other point Andora, if you had any creditability left at all, it just went out the window with that STUPID STATEMENT you posted.

Old
02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
But that aside, since you all continue to believe that you know what washington needs are and how best the for them to fill those needs, please apply for the general managers position and see how far you get.
when i make a statement like "washington has nothing i would trade vaananen for", it appears quite clear that the question of washington's needs is irrelevant, and does not even need to be discussed. i don't know why you bring that up...

Quote:
And one other point Andora, if you had any creditability left at all, it just went out the window with that STUPID STATEMENT you posted.

Old
02-25-2005, 02:26 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
But I'll tell you the flaws I see in his game and tell me what you think. He's solid, and I see him developing into a solid staty at home guy, but not elite. First he has very little offensive upside imo. I don't think he'll ever get 20 points in a season. I might be wrong though. Second, he isn't very mobile. He can skate decently, but his mobility is an issue to me. That being said, from what I've seen he's a responsible guy in his own zone.

I guess I overrated Sauer too. I just like him. If he could play a little more physical, he would be really good. He skates well for a big guy and plays well positionally. Not much offensive upside though but can be a solid stay at home guy. Where do you think he fits into Col plans?
With all due respect, you're still way off on Ossi Vaananen. One of Vaananen's biggest assets, and the reason he has made such a good partner with Rob Blake, is his fluent skating ability for being 6'4", 225 pounds. He has huge strides and is a quick skater, especially laterally as he cuts players off on the outside.

Vaananen is a _stud_ defenseman, and irregardless of whether he never puts up 20 points, that's not his job with the Avalanche. We have Blake, John-Michael Liles and Adam Foote(yes, Foote puts up 30+ points) to supply the offense, and players like Vaananen, Karlis Skrastins, Bob Boughner and Kurt Sauer are expected to be stay-at-home, defensive defensemen. Vaananen is already better than Skrastins and it showed in ice time for the Avs. Ossi was third in ice-time both in the Stars series and the Sharks series in the playoffs, behind Blake and Foote, of course.

Sauer will be our seventh defenseman for the time being. Perhaps when one of our defensive prospects like Johnny Boychuk, Mikko Kalteva or Mikko Viitanen shows enough promise to be the 7th defenseman on the pro club, Sauer could be moved. At the time being, he has just been recently acquired from Anaheim and Pierre Lacroix will likely hold onto him for a while.

The Avs pairings go as follows:

Vaananen - Blake
Skrastins - Foote
Liles - Boughner
Sauer

I don't see it changing for the time being, lock-out or no lock-out.

Old
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Who give a rat a** if andora is is respected by this board and one of your faveriots? Because in this case andpra is misinformed or worse incompetent.
"Andpra" may be misinformed or "worse incompetent." However, Andora, in addition to being a personal "faveriot" is completely accurate. He simply stated that the Avs would not be trading Ossi V. for prospects. Why you would see that as an argument that Washington should be looking to trade away young prospects is not particularly clear to me.

Closed Thread