HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Checkers Update

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
bmoak

vCash: 500
Latest Checkers roster news...

ADD Ryan Cuthbert (cleared to play)
ADD Dusty Jamieson (back from injury)
ADD Curtis Menzul (SPHL's Defenseman of the Year signed)
LOSE Steve MacIntrye (recalled to Hartford)
LOSE Regan Darby (signed and recalled to Binghamton)
LOSE Mike Wirll (IR)
LOSE Dan Preston (IR)

Also, Juris Stals will most likely leave the Checkers to play for Latvia in the World Championships.

Old
04-08-2005, 08:25 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Latest Checkers roster news...
LOSE Steve MacIntrye (recalled to Hartford)

Did Grenier get hurt again?? Or is it because of Taylor's injury?? How long is Taylor out for??? And why not call up Liffiton instead??

Old
04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
bmoak

The Checkers won their pentultimate game of the season at Greenville tonight 4-1. 2 goals each for Jamison and Stals. 2A Helminen, 1A for Cuthbert, Glenn, and Falardeau.

Old
04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
bmoak

Checkers lost theur final game of the season i to South Carolina n a 6-5 shootout. 1G2A for Glenn. 1G for Falardeau.

Old
04-10-2005, 11:59 AM
bmoak

The Charlotte Checkers finished their season at 39-36-7, taking the 6th seed in the American Conference. They start their best of five playoff series against the Columbia Inferno on Thursday.

Old
04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
dukesnider

The Checkers are 39-26-7. They start the playoffs on Wednesday, April 13th at Columbia. Followed by Friday, April 15th at Columbia, Saturday, April 16th and 17th in Charlotte.

Old
04-17-2005, 08:09 PM
bmoak

Been a whie since my last update. The Checkers managed to stave off elimination while playing with a short bench by beating archrival Columbia 5-2. Huge games for Jamieson (2 goals and 3 assists) and Glenn (1 goal and 3 assists) who stepped up as the Checkers were minus Falardeau, Rawlyk, MacIntyre, Stals, and Wirll.

After 4 games, Charlotte and Columbia are tied at 2 games each in a best of 5. Home team has won every game. Scoring is as followsL

Helminen 2G2A
Falardeau 1G
Rawlyk 1A
Cuthbert 1A
Jamieson 2G4A
Glenn 2G3A

Old
04-18-2005, 12:16 AM
dukesnider

If only Glenn played some defense this series...

Old
04-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Been a whie since my last update. The Checkers managed to stave off elimination while playing with a short bench by beating archrival Columbia 5-2. Huge games for Jamieson (2 goals and 3 assists) and Glenn (1 goal and 3 assists) who stepped up as the Checkers were minus Falardeau, Rawlyk, MacIntyre, Stals, and Wirll.

After 4 games, Charlotte and Columbia are tied at 2 games each in a best of 5. Home team has won every game. Scoring is as followsL

Helminen 2G2A
Falardeau 1G
Rawlyk 1A
Cuthbert 1A
Jamieson 2G4A
Glenn 2G3A
When is game 5?

Thanks for the updates.

Old
04-18-2005, 10:20 AM
bmoak

Wednesday

Old
04-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Levitate

why is stals out?

Old
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Cool. Go Checkers!

Old
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
dukesnider

Stals went to his country, Latvia, to play in the world cup.

Old
04-20-2005, 10:01 PM
bmoak

Chekcers Win!

The Checkers best the Columbia Inferno 4-3 in OT to adavance to the next round of the Kelly Cup playoffs to face the Gwinnett Gladiators next week.

Lee Falardeau with a natural hat-trick, including the game winner. Assists for Helminen, Liffiton, and Rawlyk.

Old
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Kovy274Hart

Alright Falardeau! Nice job.

Old
04-21-2005, 12:41 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Here's a player who is doing much better in the program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Alright Falardeau! Nice job.
than in college. Maybe he should have went to Jrs?

Old
04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
bmoak

Chekcers lost their series opener to Gwinnett in overtime 2-1. Checkers goalie Westlund notched 60 saves.

Old
04-24-2005, 09:05 PM
bmoak

Chekcers lost their series opener to Gwinnett in overtime 2-1. Checkers goalie Westlund notched 60 saves.

Old
04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I was at the game and I thought the shot totals were a bit generous.

Quote:
There were an awful lot of scrums and banging away. For what would seem to have been an exciting game I found it rather lackluster. I thought Liffiton play a mediocre game. Could have been because he was playing on the right side. During the game when he played on the left side, his normal side, he was much more comfortable with his game. Still though, he did do things that I liked. He was always looking around making sure no one was drifting around in the slot unmarked. He picked up his man and stayed with him.

At times when he was matched with Rawlyk it was adventuresome. Rawlyk is the type of player who will give you a pass that he knows is going to put you in big trouble but doesn't care because it is no longer his problem, but yours! During the 3rd period, or OT Liffiton & Rawlyk were paired together and of a play at the Gwinnett blueline had to crisscross, Rawlyk went from his side diagonally along the blueline and Liffiton switched sides to cover the weak side. Gwinnett was able to retrieve the puck because of Rawlyk failed to get it deep. Gwinnett comes out and Rawlyk sees Liffiton covering for him on the left side, yet Rawlyk attempts to yell at Liffiton to back to the right side, even though Rawlyk is closer to the right side! Charlotte breaks the play up with Rawlyk on the right side and Liffiton on the left. A Charlotte forward passes the puck to Rawlyk on the right side. Rawlyk skates from near the rwing F.O. circle towards the Lwing F.O. circle where Liffiton is. As he and Liffiton are now about 2 feet apart, Rawlyk send a lazy clearing attempt/pass up the right side with no checker in site. Of course the puck is picked off by Gwinnett in the neutral zone. At the moment once Gwinnett was in control and charging towards charlotte's end, Rawlyk decides it would be a good time for a line change! A mad scramble ensues at the Gwinnett bench. How they were able to deny Gwinnett was one of the highlights of the game.

Later on in the OT, just before the GWG is scored, Rawlyk at the end of a shift decides to rush up ice. Trys to split 2-3 guys, gets dumped, traps 2 other players and in the ensuing rush up ice the GWG is scored. On the play at Gwinnett's blueline the play called for Rawlyk to dump it in. It was late in the OT period, they had been on for a while. Charlotte was caught on an odd man rush and had to back in. Here is a player that I've watched for a few years and see no improvement in his game. From viewing his actions on the ice, it appears as if he is a bit self centered and cares only that he's not to blame. Though often times goals scored against are the direct result of his actions and non actions. This is a player that I would write off as a career ECHL player.

Big Lee has definitively improved his skating from the beginning of the year. He has much better balalnce on his skates and does use his big body to ward off defenders. For a big guy he has a bit of a deceptive change of pace. He's developing a better set of hands and I thought played well in the offensive end.
Defensively I think he is a very good PKer. The 1st goal was his fault. He had the puck along the Lwing boards and allowed his man to step in and take it away. He needed to be stronger there and make sure got the puck out of the zone. His drawback is his lack of physical play. He'll take a hit to make a play, but he does not initiate contact. At the start of the 2nd period he must have gotten chewed out for not taking the body, because the 2 or 3 shifts he had in the 2nd he made sure to bang people. After that he settled back into his normal game.

Helminen deserves to have Falardeau's size. The guy plays hard. He his grit. Great balance exhibited again. Real good speed and has some offensive potential. Good on draws and the PK. For a smaller guy he's really hard to get a piece off and harder to knock off his feet. I could see him as a Mactavish type, 4th liner, PKer.

Glenn had flashes of solid play and ones where he looked a bit losted. He impressed me more the 1st time I saw him earlier in the year. So I'll reserve my opinion on him to I see more of him.

Charlotte is offensively challenged though. I could see adding some prospects like a Crabb or G. Moore to Charlotte, only because Hartford is loaded and there really is no room. Crabb with Helminen and Falardeau would be an interesting line.

Old
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Kovy274Hart

Thanks for the report Atlanta. Agreed on Helminen. I think he has a future.

Old
04-25-2005, 10:06 PM
bmoak

Chekcers Win!

The Checkers win in overtime 4-3 to tie their series with Gwinnett at one game a piece. Big night for the vets (K. Smith, Preson, Rudneko) with 1G1A for Glenn and 1G for Helminen.

The 5-game series goes back to Charlotte.

-Chekcers scoring leared Eduard Pershin separated his shoulder in game 1 and could be out for the year.
-Rookie Coach/GM Deredk Wilikinson got a 2-year extension.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

He got cut off along the boards

Quote:
The Checkers win in overtime 4-3 to tie their series with Gwinnett at one game a piece. Big night for the vets (K. Smith, Preson, Rudneko) with 1G1A for Glenn and 1G for Helminen.

The 5-game series goes back to Charlotte.

-Chekcers scoring leared Eduard Pershin separated his shoulder in game 1 and could be out for the year.
-Rookie Coach/GM Deredk Wilikinson got a 2-year extension.
innocent looking play. No big hit, just a bad break, happened near where I was sitting and had a real good look at it.

Old
04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
bmoak

The Checkers won game 4 at home 4-1 to talke a 2-1 series lead vs Gwinnett. They can wrap the series up tomorrow.

Goals for Jamieson, Helminen, and Cuthbert. Assists for Jamieson, Liffiton, and Glenn.

Old
04-28-2005, 10:14 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Jameison was stopped on a PK in the 2nd period.

Quote:
The Checkers won game 4 at home 4-1 to talke a 2-1 series lead vs Gwinnett. They can wrap the series up tomorrow.

Goals for Jamieson, Helminen, and Cuthbert. Assists for Jamieson, Liffiton, and Glenn.
Pyle, the Gwinnett coach had some very harsh words for his team after the game. He questioned their heart amongst other things and reminded them that although they may have been better than some of these players when they were in PeeWee they still had to out play them!

Old
04-28-2005, 10:55 AM
bmoak

I just wonder if Charlotte has enough gas left in the tank to put the Glads away. They've been playing two players short (while the Glads are getting reinforcements from Wolves who already clinched their playoff series).

Closed Thread