HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wheeler to Chicago

Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
BTW, I freakin' love Chicago as a city, it is easily my favorite city in the US. The people and coworkers I've met there have all been awesome, every single one of them, and the city itself is incredible.

Hope you guys do well this year. Cheers.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:05 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Even still, Sharp can play RW and would probably be the Jets best player.
Now you are the one making crazy statements. Sharp would not be the Jets best player. He's good but not that good.

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
I was a Vancouver fan before the Jets came back, I know how good Sharp is and how deadly his shot is. Still remember him almost completing the comeback for the Hawks.

I recognize how consistently good Sharp has been. But I can tell you, like Gump has, that we would not trade Wheeler for Sharp straight up man. Not trying to prove anything by saying that, but I think it's true. We're at the stage of collecting high calibre guys who can be here for ten years, not five.

Sharps past production doesn't mean **** to Winnipeg if they both put up 65 pts next year...

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Now you are the one making crazy statements. Sharp would not be the Jets best player. He's good but not that good.
Was thinking the same thing but was not sure if my residual Hawk hatred was clouding my judgement. Always thought Sharp was an upper echelon support guy, not a guy who could carry a team's offence.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Nope, he's right. Sharp is that good

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Nope, he's right. Sharp is that good
Based on what exactly?

Given the choice between the two of them, I take Wheeler every friggen time. The guy is 24-25, is 6'5", has started to play physical and is a great playmaker. He also has great hands and is really ****ing fast.

Sharp, while a good player, put up his points with much better line mates. Not a knock against Little, or Ladd...they are just better suited to a second line role.

This deal does not mesh with the vision going forward, and in since the jets aren't really close to contending...this deal makes no sense at all.

Trading Wheeler for sharp does not help this team going forward, what so ever.

Even if it did, I wouldn't do it, Toews is signing with us come free agency anyways.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Even if it did, I wouldn't do it, Toews is signing with us come free agency anyways.
Yeah, and Patrick Kane is signing with Buffalo after his contract is up . Just because a player is from that city doesn't mean he's automatically going to sign there.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Yeah, and Patrick Kane is signing with Buffalo after his contract is up . Just because a player is from that city doesn't mean he's automatically going to sign there.
As far as you know

Old
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Based on what exactly?

Dare to dream, Arnold. Dare to dream.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Dare to dream, Arnold. Dare to dream.
You guys laugh at me, but there is a "not bad" chance that it happens.

You just watch.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
As far as you know
I'm sure if Chicago can give Campbell and Hossa money, he would have no problem giving Toews and Kane even more to ensure they stay in Chicago until they are both in wheelchairs.

Last edited by couture23: 01-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
almostawake

From the November 15 through the end of the season Wheeler scored at a 75 point pace. On any given night he is the Jets forward most capable of dominating offensively. Most of the offence his line manages to generate is initiated by him.

Sharp for Wheeler is a trade that the Jets would have no interest in. Moreover, it's one where both players would be less effective on their new team. Whatever line Sharp ended up on in Winnipeg, he'd be expected to be the primary playmaker, which really doesn't play to his strengths. Whatever line Wheeler ended up on in Chicago he'd be expected to play within the system, which makes poor use of his strengths as a free-wheeling playmaker.

If Wheeler was going out the door the Jets would need a young center with top 6 potential and decent size. Or maybe, a young defenceman with (long term) top pairing pairing potential. Anything else would just be a major step back for the Jets.

If the Hawks and Jets did something for Wheeler, Leddy is the player most likely to be heading to the Jets. But even that doesn't make much sense for the Jets as it would open a massive hole up front and adding Leddy's skill set to a defence core in which Tobias Enstrom is holding down 23+ minutes a night just seems redundant.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I'm sure if Bowman can give Campbell and Hossa money, he would have no problem giving Toews and Kane even more to ensure they stay in Chicago until they are both in wheelchairs.
Money's not everything.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
TurdFerguson

Quote:
Based on what exactly?

Given the choice between the two of them, I take Wheeler every friggen time. The guy is 24-25, is 6'5", has started to play physical and is a great playmaker. He also has great hands and is really ****ing fast.

Sharp, while a good player, put up his points with much better line mates. Not a knock against Little, or Ladd...they are just better suited to a second line role.

This deal does not mesh with the vision going forward, and in since the jets aren't really close to contending...this deal makes no sense at all.

Trading Wheeler for sharp does not help this team going forward, what so ever.

Wheeler is awfully old for a 24-25 year old.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
HawkeyLife07

Quote:
I think Chicago should keep their resources to acquire a centre rather than another winger, unless Teuvo's development skyrockets him into the 2C position.

Chicago did really well drafting Saad and Shaw, plus Stalberg is underappreciated around these boards - he's one of the fastest players in the league.
Teuvo won't be ready for at least two years and I see him playing wing for us.

I don't see why we don't just put Sharp at centre, then acquiring a winger doesn't seem like a lateral move.

And yes, Stalberg is underappreciated. Do you know anyone who is a Stalberg fan?

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
HawkeyLife07

Quote:
I'm sure if Bowman can give Campbell and Hossa money, he would have no problem giving Toews and Kane even more to ensure they stay in Chicago until they are both in wheelchairs.
That was Tallon

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Wheeler is awfully old for a 24-25 year old.
My bad.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Leddy certainly interests us, but the whole trade would have to be larger. Much larger. After the trade we'd have Wellwood on the right side, and that's pretty much it. I guess we could move Little or Scheifele to the right side.

Not interested in Oduya, but what could Chicago add? 2nd/3rd line RW would be nice. We could add more assets as well, lots of picks (all of ours for 2013, plus chicagos 2nd and 3rd, plus #59), have 5 RHD that are all offensive (Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, Postma, Redmond) I could see the latter two as trade bait.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:12 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

NameRelQoCOZSRelCorsiG/60A1/60P/60
Sharp 0.148 64.1 15.0 1.26 0.77 2.69
Wheeler 0.319 57.8 12.6 0.52 1.00 2.05

I'm not really buying the miles above sentiment.
You give Sharp a bit higher level matchups and less push in the o-zone to the same level as Wheeler and I bet the results would be oddly similar.
That's with Wheeler having the lowest sh% of his career.

I could see valid argument for Sharp being better but I can see valid arguments for them being equal if the usage was equal.

But, because Blake seems to be the better set up man (which is more important when you have bulk shooters like Kane, Ladd and Jokinen), younger (works with Jets' build) and cheaper, it doesn't make sense to Jets to remove him.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:24 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Money's not everything.
right, having won the Cup with this team, being the face of the franchise and captain isn't that bad to add to the money. Being in a City like Chicago too.

Toews will end up as career Hawk, try your luck with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Leddy certainly interests us, but the whole trade would have to be larger. Much larger. After the trade we'd have Wellwood on the right side, and that's pretty much it. I guess we could move Little or Scheifele to the right side.

Not interested in Oduya, but what could Chicago add? 2nd/3rd line RW would be nice. We could add more assets as well, lots of picks (all of ours for 2013, plus chicagos 2nd and 3rd, plus #59), have 5 RHD that are all offensive (Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba, Postma, Redmond) I could see the latter two as trade bait.
Leddy + Stalberg (can play right side as good as left side)

would that be a start that interests you?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Leddy + Stalberg (can play right side as good as left side)

would that be a start that interests you?
Not if in exchange for Blake Wheeler, no. The Jets are building, not rebuilding. We'll just keep our 1st line right winger, thanks anyway.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote