HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bylsma eyes other guy for Malkin-Neal line

Old
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Just put Kunitz on Malkin's line. The Cooke, Crosby and Kennedy line played well last season.
I like Cooke and TK but Kunitz and Sid have great chemistry together. If Malkin is going to take the best scoring winger on the team it makes sense to get Sid a player that does so much to enhance his game.

I actually think that giving Sid another Kunitz type player would be just as great as getting him an elite scorer. Thats why I like a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter. Given some time to gel I think Sid could work up a season we haven't seen since Jags was still a Pen.... even though I think Sids Rocket Richard season is as good as I've seen a hockey player play in a long time.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
Good Lord don't post that! Adams is Bylsma illegitimate son
7 year old Dan sure got busy.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
wish they would leave that Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line the **** alone...
Sid needs a good winger to play with, if we give Malkin our 2 best wingers, it's unbalanced.

In that article, he mentions Sutter taking the draws and playing on Malkin's line. I was thinking, what about Jason Arnott? 38 years old, 17 goals and 34 points last season, maybe he can be the 3rd line center/2nd line winger who takes the faceoffs on Malkin's line. He would add leadership to the locker room, something that the Pens think was missing in the playoffs last year. Has Stanley Cup experience, don't think he will be too expensive. Worth a shot? I think so.

EDIT: But that would take an opportunity away from a younger player.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 01-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I feel that Bylsma is really going to piss me off this year. I'm not sure why.
Habit?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
KIRK

Quote:
IMO, this is what the first two lines should look like:

Chris Kunitz - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal

Matt Cooke - Sidney Crosby - Tyler Kennedy

The same lines that we saw late in to last season.
1. That wasn't the post season line for Sid.
2. Do you really hate Sid that much?

Old
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
I honestly think Bylsma has forgotten Jeffery is on this team. I thought the same thing last year towards the end of the season when he recovered from his injury... and then never went back in, never got mentioned that he was back, just sat in no-man's land practicing and nothing else. I haven't seen a quote from him even mentioning the guy's existence since the beginning of last season.
Jeffrey has skill and is young......we all know how much Bylsma values those.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I have a feeling this will be the year he gets fired. Hopefully he takes Rossi with him if and when he forces himself out of a job.

That said, if he doesn't have a complete mental collapse, we'll end up with either:

Jeffrey - Geno - Neal

or

Tangradi - Geno - Neal

Cooke - Geno - Neal could work in a pinch in limited personnel situations. TK has already shown he can't play at Malkin's level. Glass? Jesus that would be a surreal sight.

Play Glass with Geno a few nights and lose a few important games... that could be Disco's undoing. Let's not forget he's probably on a short leash after losing three straight times in the 1st round of the playoffs (admittedly one is unfair to attribute to him but the other two aren't).

Glass or Kennedy or Sutter (?!!!) would piss me off the most. Here we solve the Staal problem and the reaction is to think about putting Malkin on the wing again? ****ing retarded. That list almost seems like we're being trolled by Rossi. Were the names in quotes?
Personally, I've got no problem giving Sutter situational looks on the wing with Geno and Neal (where a RH faceoff guy would be preferred). You know, using him like you would've preferred to use Staal last year after Sid returned if Staal hadn't been such a whiny ***** about playing wing ever.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Sid needs a good winger to play with, if we give Malkin our 2 best wingers, it's unbalanced.

In that article, he mentions Sutter taking the draws and playing on Malkin's line. I was thinking, what about Jason Arnott? 38 years old, 17 goals and 34 points last season, maybe he can be the 3rd line center/2nd line winger who takes the faceoffs on Malkin's line. He would add leadership to the locker room, something that the Pens think was missing in the playoffs last year. Has Stanley Cup experience, don't think he will be too expensive. Worth a shot? I think so.
Also bringing some size and grit that we're lacking. Hell yes Shero should give Arnott a call.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:

Can't skate, wouldn't work at all.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. That wasn't the post season line for Sid.
2. Do you really hate Sid that much?
I never said that...

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
With a short season, I wouldn't mind more m-m, but DB HAS to fix the breakout and close those D-F gaps. If he didn't learn his lessons agt the Flyers, I will stop defending him.

BB is the most skilled guy I have seen come through WBS since I started watching them a dozen yrs ago. Before, Tangradi was the most skilled, followed by Tibbetts and Petersen.

So not exactly saying much, but Tibbetts and Petersen were sick players in the A and they tore **** up.

I can't see DB giving BB a legit shot, but who knows. BB has the skill, but I have to see his board work and skating agt NHL players before I can say he can handle it or not.

I want Tangradi to get a legit shot, just so we can finally know if he can be an answer or not. If not, then Shero has to find more help via trade.
History suggests that neither BB nor Tangradi will get a fair shot. Even if they did, how long would DB indulge the inevitable growing pains.

I have suggested before that Bylsma is not a young players coach. ***** as I might have about Therrien, he's the guy who insisted on giving Staal and Letang 10 game stints. I've never seen Bylsma show anything in terms of faith or patience when it comes to a young player.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I never said that...
You did when you suggested that Sid should center Cooke and Kennedy.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Dupree13

Quote:

Well if Tangradi or Bennett come in and crush it then you part ways with Arnott/other vet. That's the beauty of it.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Leave the Malkin-Neal connection alone!

Bennett-Malkin-Neal or Tangradi-Malkin-Neal if Bennett goes with Crosby.
Count me in. Still doubt one of them gets a shot like that. Both of them? Then I may give DB the benefit of the doubt when he insists that there have been system adjustments.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Wait a second, MacIntryre is still with the Penguins?

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Jeffrey has skill and is young......we all know how much Bylsma values those.
Yeah but he at least acknowledges they're a real person.

I googled Dan Bylsma "Dustin Jeffrey" and the last time I can find him saying his name is March 2nd of last year.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You did when you suggested that Sid should center Cooke and Kennedy.
Because they played well together near the end of the regular season.

My 2nd line-up:

Matt Cooke - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
gopens66
Bart 4 Crosby's RW!

This is the only mention of Glass in the article:

"Glass, a left winger signed from Winnipeg last summer, has scored just 13 NHL goals. Bylsma said he would play “if we‘re winning.”

Bylsma made a joke and people here are calling for his head. I'm not sure which is worse, those who read the article and going ballistic, or those who didn't bother to read the article and are going ballistic.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post

"Glass, a left winger signed from Winnipeg last summer, has scored just 13 NHL goals. Bylsma said he would play “if we‘re winning.”

Bylsma made a joke and people here are calling for his head. I'm not sure which is worse, those who read the article and going ballistic, or those who didn't bother to read the article and are going ballistic.
Yeah, I still haven't figured out why everyone is spazzing. He didn't say Glass is playing with Malkin.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post

I think people here are a little less apoplectic about a joke and a little more apprehensive as to how Bylsma will view the competitors for LW with Geno and Neal.

I swear, if this were Harry Potter and Geno/Neal put on the Bylsma LW sorting hat, they'd be chanting together 'Not Kennedy'.

EDIT: IMO, Cooke is tolerable. Sutter in situations would be nice. Would like to see BB and Tangradi gets shots. Don't want TK under any circumstance, and don't think Jeffrey brings any value to the table with those two.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Shady Machine

A lot of strange thoughts in this thread. I think we all need to stop, take a deep breath, and be glad hockey is back.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
MtlPenFan

Nothing's wrong with Cooke on that line. He's as good a replacement for Kunitz as there is on the team.

I see I'm going to soon be missing talking about the lockout...

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Nothing's wrong with Cooke on that line. He's as good a replacement for Kunitz as there is on the team.

I see I'm going to soon be missing talking about the lockout...
Yup. Two days in and the nuts come back.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I like Cooke and TK but Kunitz and Sid have great chemistry together. If Malkin is going to take the best scoring winger on the team it makes sense to get Sid a player that does so much to enhance his game.

I actually think that giving Sid another Kunitz type player would be just as great as getting him an elite scorer. Thats why I like a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter. Given some time to gel I think Sid could work up a season we haven't seen since Jags was still a Pen.... even though I think Sids Rocket Richard season is as good as I've seen a hockey player play in a long time.
What did you do to Dupuis?

My lines:

Neal - Malkin - (Kunitz)
Dupuis - Crosby - (tryout between TK, BB, Cooke)
Cooke - Sutter - DJ/TK/BB
Adams/Glass/hopefully other - Vitale - Tangradi

The question is who does Kunitz play with? and who fills in the remaining spot. Kunitz has been much more productive (data supporting that statement) playing with Malkin than Crosby so that is your answer there for Kunitz. That line was DOMINANT last year against just about anyone, why break it up?

I still like our 3rd line to go against top #1/#2 lines and hopefully stay close to even with them. I think Cooke is paramount on the 3rd line as is DJ. They are both solid 2 way players that can handle/check top competition and still produce themselves. This opens either Crosby or Malkin's line to play against a #3/#4 line. Pens make out favorably against most teams in this situation.

The big question is does BB make the team? It is beyond huge if he does because that means Glass and probably Adams don't even touch the ice regardless of where BB slots in. BB wouldn't make the team as our "worst forward" so him making the team automatically drops our worst forward off the roster. That may finally give the 4th line a shot at being a positive line for the Pens.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
A lot of strange thoughts in this thread. I think we all need to stop, take a deep breath, and be glad hockey is back.
Tell me about it. Like can we at least wait until Sutter has worn a Penguin jersey before we start exploring in detail the idea of him playing wing? Jesus there are 5000 more pressing questions about this coming season

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote