HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bylsma eyes other guy for Malkin-Neal line

Old
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
MonsterSurge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
A lot of strange thoughts in this thread. I think we all need to stop, take a deep breath, and be glad hockey is back.
Pssssst...Only the NHL was gone.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Pssssst...Only the NHL was gone.
You are correct. Okay, let me re-state. The NHL is back and all of my access to professional hockey on television.

Now back to your regularly scheduled circle jerk about enforcers.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
You are correct. Okay, let me re-state. The NHL is back and all of my access to professional hockey on television.

Now back to your regularly scheduled circle jerk about enforcers.
Real classy.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Nothing's wrong with Cooke on that line. He's as good a replacement for Kunitz as there is on the team.

I see I'm going to soon be missing talking about the lockout...
Who said anything was wrong with Cooke?

Most here seem to want BB and Tangradi to get a shot. Some seem to think Jeffrey could add something.

BUT, if that doesn't work out (more likely than not) or happen (more likely than not with DB), then Cooke seems to be the most reasonable alternative.

Now, TK with Geno and Neal is another story . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I think we should start a board mandate to never link to anything Rossi posts, ever. Agreed? Can we sticky this?

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Real classy.
I'm just personally tired of you and that other dude flooding every thread with Macintyre videos.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
I'm just personally tired of you and that other dude flooding every thread with Macintyre videos.
I've posted like one MacIntyre video in the past seven months.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:43 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Who said anything was wrong with Cooke?

Most here seem to want BB and Tangradi to get a shot. Some seem to think Jeffrey could add something.

BUT, if that doesn't work out (more likely than not) or happen (more likely than not with DB), then Cooke seems to be the most reasonable alternative.

Now, TK with Geno and Neal is another story . . .
I'm always on the fence with TK, but I think he gets a little too much flak and if anyone deserves a legit shot on a top line, it's him.

That's more an indictment on the team's lack of options at wing than TK's actual ability, but that's for Shero to fix.

I want to see Jeffrey skate after recovering fully from the knee injury, but I mean, bleh. As for Tangradi, we'll have to wait and see, but I don't like him having only a 10 goals in over 30 games in the AHL.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Nevermind. Sorry about that.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'm always on the fence with TK, but I think he gets a little too much flak and if anyone deserves a legit shot on a top line, it's him.

That's more an indictment on the team's lack of options at wing than TK's actual ability, but that's for Shero to fix.

I want to see Jeffrey skate after recovering fully from the knee injury, but I mean, bleh. As for Tangradi, we'll have to wait and see, but I don't like him having only a 10 goals in over 30 games in the AHL.
Tangradi really started well in WBS and went into the toilet in his last 15 games. Agreed on Jeffrey.

That said, I want to see Tangradi get a real shot. It's sink or swim time there.

And, I'd like to see Bennett get a shot. If the only real questions are physical and how he'd deal with the tough matchups, then there's only one way to find out, because the kid's got all the other tools.

In the end, though, I think it will be Cooke, if only because he, unlike TK, would understand his role on a line with Geno and Neal.

BTW, nothing written above should detract from my firm belief that Ray Shero really should be looking to add a guy for Sid and Kunitz and a guy for Geno and Neal and then run a third line of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis. As I keep saying, Sid and Geno are the Pens advantage. No team would have the depth to deal with both of them if each had two good (as in legit but not necessarily top end top six) wingers. Time to exploit that advantage instead of mitigating it with inferior personnel.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Many people on this website think enforcers are worthless players (which I don't blame them). They don't understand that enforcers are great locker-guys that are there to protect teammates and bring momentum by fighting.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Tangradi really started well in WBS and went into the toilet in his last 15 games. Agreed on Jeffrey.

That said, I want to see Tangradi get a real shot. It's sink or swim time there.

And, I'd like to see Bennett get a shot. If the only real questions are physical and how he'd deal with the tough matchups, then there's only one way to find out, because the kid's got all the other tools.

In the end, though, I think it will be Cooke, if only because he, unlike TK, would understand his role on a line with Geno and Neal.

BTW, nothing written above should detract from my firm belief that Ray Shero really should be looking to add a guy for Sid and Kunitz and a guy for Geno and Neal and then run a third line of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis. As I keep saying, Sid and Geno are the Pens advantage. No team would have the depth to deal with both of them if each had two good (as in legit but not necessarily top end top six) wingers. Time to exploit that advantage instead of mitigating it with inferior personnel.
Didnt Tangradi kinda slow down production wise when the team went on that terrible run?

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Didnt Tangradi kinda slow down production wise when the team went on that terrible run?
Yes, and I don't doubt that was a contributing factor.

As I said, I hope that he AND BB both get legit shots. Maybe Tangradi will sink. Maybe BB not being totally ready physically will prove too much of an impediment at this time. But, given this roster right now, it's time to find out with both of them.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Yes, and I don't doubt that was a contributing factor.

As I said, I hope that he AND BB both get legit shots. Maybe Tangradi will sink. Maybe BB not being totally ready physically will prove too much of an impediment at this time. But, given this roster right now, it's time to find out with both of them.
Totally agree. Its not a bad thing having a couple spots for young guys to sink or swin. At least it gives Shero a better idea of where the team stands and what needs to be added closer to the deadline.

As for Bennet, I think he could come in this year and contribute. He reminds me a lot of David Perron. Same build, both have incredible vision and hands. Both have/had knocks on their skating. BB is exactly the kind of player this team needs. His creativity will create a lot of space for whoever is on his line once he adjusts to the speed of the NHL

Old
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Totally agree. Its not a bad thing having a couple spots for young guys to sink or swin. At least it gives Shero a better idea of where the team stands and what needs to be added closer to the deadline.

As for Bennet, I think he could come in this year and contribute. He reminds me a lot of David Perron. Same build, both have incredible vision and hands. Both have/had knocks on their skating. BB is exactly the kind of player this team needs. His creativity will create a lot of space for whoever is on his line once he adjusts to the speed of the NHL
I haven't watched BB enough to know. JTG used the Skinner example (not to compare players but to illustrate the 'will he get killed' concern). Perron might be an even better example.

Put it this way (and I'd love to know what others here who really have watched him think): Is BB, in terms of skill level and where he's at with his development, comparable to an 18 year old Perron, where the only real question is physical?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

This is kinda off topic but I really hope TB use their amnesty buyout on Malone during the summer. He would be a perfect 3rd wheel to Malkin-Neal plus his previous chemistry with Malkin. I was always a pretty big fan of Malone though.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Sid needs a good winger to play with, if we give Malkin our 2 best wingers, it's unbalanced.

In that article, he mentions Sutter taking the draws and playing on Malkin's line. I was thinking, what about Jason Arnott? 38 years old, 17 goals and 34 points last season, maybe he can be the 3rd line center/2nd line winger who takes the faceoffs on Malkin's line. He would add leadership to the locker room, something that the Pens think was missing in the playoffs last year. Has Stanley Cup experience, don't think he will be too expensive. Worth a shot? I think so.

EDIT: But that would take an opportunity away from a younger player.
Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Fedotenko-Malkin-Talbot

Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Many people on this website think enforcers are worthless players (which I don't blame them). They don't understand that enforcers are great locker-guys that are there to protect teammates and bring momentum by fighting.
I agree, but I don't want to end up banned or something.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
od71

Kunitz is more productive with Malkin. It's quite crazy to destroy best NHL line of the last season.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Kunitz is more productive with Malkin. It's quite crazy to destroy best line of the last season.
How do you figure?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I just jab at you guys because it seems like you're always talking about enforcers. I totally agree with this statement above and think they have value. However, the new enforcer is the guy that can fight AND play hockey at a fairly high level. I really believe the day of the true heavyweight that can't play hockey worth a damn are winding down.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
od71

Quote:
How do you figure?
Last regular season playing with Geno he scored 26g + 35a. When did he score more?

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Kunitz is more productive with Malkin. It's quite crazy to destroy best NHL line of the last season.
Kunitz' production is not the issue here. he's the type of winger he just works with everyone. he was good with Sid, Geno and Staal.

Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Last season with Geno he scored 26g + 35a. When did he score more?
Big whoop. It was one season where Crosby was out so we leaned heavily on that one scoring line. He has been very productive with Crosby too and we need balance in our top 6.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Quote:
Count me in. Still doubt one of them gets a shot like that. Both of them? Then I may give DB the benefit of the doubt when he insists that there have been system adjustments.
Bylsma will NEVER give BB a chance got to have a grinder to Help them "Get to their Game"

Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote