HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So the other day

Old
07-27-2013, 11:00 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

vCash: 1365
So the other day

I was filling up at a gas station off of I-40 near Mocksville (about 30 minutes west of Winston-Salem). The guy filling up next to me looks at my Hurricanes shirt and asks "You Canadian?". I responded no to which the guy says "Well you're a yankee either way, no real southerner would ever be a hockey fan", to which I respond "Sorry to disappoint you but you're not the first person to call me a yankee". He then gets into his car and I notice the "I don't give a damn how y'all did it up north" bumper sticker.

Wondering if anyone else here has had encounters like this while sporting your Hurricanes gear. I've got some more that I'll share but for starters here I'm not the only one who gets called a yankee for being a hockey/hurricanes fan right?

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 50
Never.

In all honesty, the opinions of redneck Nascar loving hillbillies regarding my sports fandom is pretty low on my priority list...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

vCash: 500
I've never been called a yankee, regardless of the situation

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Swag Surf Aho
Find Your Own Style

Oh please, everybody jokes around in the little town of Mocksville! :sarcasm to subside the anger from within!

Swag Surf Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:50 AM
EQV
All For Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
I was filling up at a gas station off of I-40 near Mocksville (about 30 minutes west of Winston-Salem). The guy filling up next to me looks at my Hurricanes shirt and asks "You Canadian?". I responded no to which the guy says "Well you're a yankee either way, no real southerner would ever be a hockey fan", to which I respond "Sorry to disappoint you but you're not the first person to call me a yankee". He then gets into his car and I notice the "I don't give a damn how y'all did it up north" bumper sticker.

Wondering if anyone else here has had encounters like this while sporting your Hurricanes gear. I've got some more that I'll share but for starters here I'm not the only one who gets called a yankee for being a hockey/hurricanes fan right?
Hasn't happened to me but of course in my part of the state I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't even heard of the 'Canes. Stories like this remind me of why I'm probably going to relocate to the Triangle soon.

But hey, if they'd rather watch cars drive around in a circle for four hours and be d-bags to anyone who doesn't seem like a "true" southerner (redneck), then good for them.

EQV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:57 AM
salim919

I was called a yankee when I was in Toronto about 11 years ago. I had to correct them, but to them all Americans are yankees.

salim919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

Quote:

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than when ever I go anywhere here with Hurricanes stuff on and people always say: "Man. You lose a bet?"

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Frank Booth239*

People are usually like "We have a hockey team"?

That was my reaction the first time I hung out in Raleigh in June 2002. I had come up with a bunch of buddies from Ft. Bragg and we're at Ri Ra's, and everybody is wearing the red sweaters. I thought this was the most random place in the country for any kind of professional sports team. I guess they knew what it was going to grow into.

I usually make it a point to wear Canes stuff when I go Kiteboarding in the Outer Banks, since like 80% of the other people there at Kite Point are from Quebec and it annoys them. (how crazy these people have to be to drive 15 hours to NC just for a day or two is another story).

Frank Booth239* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:28 AM
FlyingSquirrels

Slow news day.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Finnish Hype Train
rip jackstrap

I remember back in high school (graduated 2004) I only knew a few Hurricanes fans, even though I went to school 10 minutes from the arena. I got my fair share of flak back then, but the Cup run probably did a lot to get rid of them. These days, I wear Hurricanes shirts around Charlotte a lot, but never get many comments of any kind. Don't think many people care one way or another.

Finnish Hype Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:23 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

I got some flak in high school about wearing hockey stuff the first couple years I was down here. Of course that was in 96 & 97 when we didn't have a team and their first season. The northerners kind of took over And I didn't hear a word after that

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:35 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesStrappe View Post
I remember back in high school (graduated 2004) I only knew a few Hurricanes fans, even though I went to school 10 minutes from the arena. I got my fair share of flak back then, but the Cup run probably did a lot to get rid of them. These days, I wear Hurricanes shirts around Charlotte a lot, but never get many comments of any kind. Don't think many people care one way or another.
I do the same and unless the team is in the playoffs, or I'm at a Checkers game, I hardly get any comments.

I think I've gotten more comments (positive and negative) from other parts of the Carolinas than I have in Charlotte, lol.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

I bring up hockey around Gastonia, and everyone is like I miss going to Bojangles on Independence for a game.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:03 PM
jayhamm

I'm down in South Florida and honestly I get more comments about my 'Canes shirts than I ever did in Raleigh.

jayhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Over here in Greenville (NC) I only get positive comments. Lots of Canes fans around, and even the ones that aren't huge fans like to talk about them. During the lockout I was surprised that a guy started asking me questions about the Canes at my favorite sports bar wondering what was going on with the negotiations because I was wearing my hat. Once even had a manager at a fast food place come over and start talking to me about the Canes when he saw my hat. Never anything negative said to me about them.

It's changed big time since they won the Cup, though. Been a very steady increase from "What's hockey?" to "Oh yeah, the Canes are really cool."

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:48 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

I know a couple of ECU guys and they too have said what you have said.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

Quote:
I know a couple of ECU guys and they too have said what you have said.
Greenville is the most bestest city ever.

But yeah I rocked the hell out of Canes stuff during the 02 Run (my Freshman year at ECU)

The sport was still growing at the time but Hurricanes stuff was not uncommon. Man, that triple OT game still gives me nitemares. Not sure which is worse, the goal that won it, or the fact that of all people, Hull tied it with a minute left in the third :

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:40 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Greenville is the most bestest city ever.

But yeah I rocked the hell out of Canes stuff during the 02 Run (my Freshman year at ECU)

The sport was still growing at the time but Hurricanes stuff was not uncommon. Man, that triple OT game still gives me nitemares. Not sure which is worse, the goal that won it, or the fact that of all people, Hull tied it with a minute left in the third :
I can relate, I was doing the same thing and I was 14 at the time. I was doing the same thing 4 years later but the 02 run was a little more special IMO, first time being there probably has something to do with that.

That tying goal, you could just tell the series was about to be turned. I think that hurts the most.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Joe McGrath

I was in the Outer Banks last week and went into a sports store. Zero Canes merchandise. Other teams (teams that people who may be vacationing there would be likely to root for) were represented. So were NCSU, UNC, Duke, etc. I found it a little odd, but not entirely surprising. I did get a Harris Teeter Canes grocery bag there a couple years ago though.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:

This sounds like the kind of guy Warren Zevon's song "Play it All Night Long" was written for/about.

Old
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Goodafternoon

I got a lot of comments at App State, all were positive. Mainly along the lines of someone yelling "HURR A CANEESS".

I also saw a fair amount of whalers gear at the campus, go figure lol.

Goodafternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:34 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
I've only ever run into a very mild case of this, from an over-proud Southerner (of the bowtie-wearing, Chapel Hill variety) who refused to even entertain the idea of attending a hockey game. I chalked it up to him simply being closed-minded to things that didn't come from within 50 miles of his place of birth.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I've only ever run into a very mild case of this, from an over-proud Southerner (of the bowtie-wearing, Chapel Hill variety) who refused to even entertain the idea of attending a hockey game. I chalked it up to him simply being closed-minded to things that didn't come from within 50 miles of his place of birth.
While I have mocked these people in previous posts I can kind of get it. It'll be a cold day in hell when I watch NASCAR or attend a tractor pull.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:17 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodafternoon View Post
I got a lot of comments at App State, all were positive. Mainly along the lines of someone yelling "HURR A CANEESS".

I also saw a fair amount of whalers gear at the campus, go figure lol.
I can attest to this since I'm going to App right now. Mostly positive comments but I got heckled at a football game by a Sabres fan which was really odd

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Some Sabres fans will never get over 2006. I like being someone's nemesis.

I thought the bowties were all at Wake Forest

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote