HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > By The Numbers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
By The Numbers Hockey Analytics... the Final Frontier. Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new algorithms, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Scoring Chances

Old
03-07-2014, 02:07 AM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

vCash: 64
Scoring Chances

We've all heard an announcer for a game say the number of scoring chances counted for or against a team. I was wondering if anyone knows where i could find these numbers or a similar stat i could use to determine the shot quality against a goalie.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:06 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
We've all heard an announcer for a game say the number of scoring chances counted for or against a team. I was wondering if anyone knows where i could find these numbers or a similar stat i could use to determine the shot quality against a goalie.
Shot quality is currently an outstanding question in the hockey analytics community, and there's been several threads here dealing with it.

Although I don't know if any of them mention the scoring chances you see on a broadcast, I think they're worth perusing to see if they can address your needs.

"Corsi, shot quality, and the Toronto Maple Leafs" - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1517319

"Sportsnew.ca 'Shot Quality Project'" - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1521655