HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What least impressed you about Gretzky?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman
I don't like his poor selection of women. It's because of that lady that he left Edmonton. That dynasty could have been the best in all the history of professional sports. They even managed to win 1 without him. Imagine what they could of kept on doing with him.
You might be joking, but if you're being serious, I think it's been documented (no links, sorry, ask in the Oilers board and you might get some more info) that the trade was a result of Pocklington dealing behind Wayne's back. His wife may have had something to do with it, but there is a reason why Pocklington isn't well liked by Edmontonians.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
You might be joking, but if you're being serious, I think it's been documented (no links, sorry, ask in the Oilers board and you might get some more info) that the trade was a result of Pocklington dealing behind Wayne's back. His wife may have had something to do with it, but there is a reason why Pocklington isn't well liked by Edmontonians.
I was sort of aware of that, though it's no secret Janet Jones wanted to leave Edmonton. I fthe only reason were pocklington I'm Gretzky could have done something to stop it if he really wanted to.

Old
02-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I was sort of aware of that, though it's no secret Janet Jones wanted to leave Edmonton. I fthe only reason were pocklington I'm Gretzky could have done something to stop it if he really wanted to.
I *think* the story is (and if I'm wrong, someone correct me) that Wayne was not going to accept any trade from Edmonton until he overheard Pocklington talking specifically about wanting to deal him (it may have been over a speakerphone or something, IIRC).

Old
02-26-2005, 09:02 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
I don't like his poor selection of women. It's because of that lady that he left Edmonton. That dynasty could have been the best in all the history of professional sports. They even managed to win 1 without him. Imagine what they could of kept on doing with him.
I agree................Janet Gretzky is the YOKO ONO of hockey.........don't forget.....some day Gretzky's kids (if they're good enough) will be playing their hockey for Team U.S.A.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Boilers*

As an oiler fan I've always remembered his press conference. The thing that struck me as odd was Wayne said it .."was a sad day but y'know after being with Edmonton this long it was time to..." at that moment someone (his agent?) rushed in to Wayne and whispered something in his ear. Wayne got up from the table and went to the back chairs away from the mike,and stayed there, wiping tears from his face. A rather odd thing to say if you were traded unknowingly. The way my mind always finished that sentence was "..move on with my life".

Anyway everyone in Edmonton has a different opinion on the move. It's pretty much like the ink blotters the pshyciatrists give their patients in the movies. You see what you want to see I guess.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsport
Anyway everyone in Edmonton has a different opinion on the move. It's pretty much like the ink blotters the pshyciatrists give their patients in the movies. You see what you want to see I guess.
I think Pocklington is pretty close to universally despised, though, in Edmonton. It's a shame. The man brought us Stanley Cups and should be remembered fondly but because he needed cash... well, money does indeed make the world go round, doesn't it?

Old
02-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
I *think* the story is (and if I'm wrong, someone correct me) that Wayne was not going to accept any trade from Edmonton until he overheard Pocklington talking specifically about wanting to deal him (it may have been over a speakerphone or something, IIRC).
OT: What does IIRC mean?

Old
02-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

If I Recall Correctly.

Old
02-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
If I Recall Correctly.
Thanks.

Old
02-26-2005, 10:02 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
He had a very bad wrist/snap shot imo.
Amazing that he scored that much with a brutal wrister.
For goalies who just stand there without bending their knees, even brutal wrist shots are hard to save.

Old
02-26-2005, 10:09 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
The guy is a total ego-maniac.

Old
02-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
... and will you come back each time someone will say something wrong about your little Wayne ?
Actually if I can think of a good one liner I just might.
Nice picture of Komisarek your using, that's the same one he autographed for my daughter tonight. Nice, 8x10 photo signed by the player himself, all for a $2 donation to the Bulldogs youth fund.

Old
02-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
Mother Teresa also wasn't very capable as an enforcer. Some of those towns could have used a little law 'n order. And how many times had we seen her in a scrap. Also, the homeless in Calcutta, pretty easy to please them. She probably couldn't have cut it at the next level, as a TV evangelist.

And don't even bring up the last 14 years of her career.
:lol Thanks for the laugh.

Old
02-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staze19
Why/How is he an ego-maniac?

Old
02-26-2005, 10:58 PM
jiggs 10

What least impressed me about Greetz was his skating, which was only average. He floated, and because he wasn't the fastest guy in the NHL he had to, but once across the blue line he was the greatest player in the history of the NHL. NO ONE could do the things he did in the offensive zone! So maybe he wasn't the most pleasent guy on earth? If you had a camera stuck your face every day for 25 years, would you be happy all the time? Cut the guy some slack! Yes, when I met him he was a bit drunk and surly, but he's still the best ambassador the game has ever had, so let it go! Geez, it's not like he's Mario and spits at kids!

Old
02-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Funny. Anyone I talk to that met TGO says that he is the nicest guy in the world. When/where did you meet him? Could've been a bad day for TGO.
Wayne came to my high school for some promotional thingy back in 1997 or 98. He was walking out of the high school and I asked if he could sign my hand and he said "only paper" and walked off to his waiting limo.

Old
02-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Wayne came to my high school for some promotional thingy back in 1997 or 98. He was walking out of the high school and I asked if he could sign my hand and he said "only paper" and walked off to his waiting limo.
I don't know man, I don't know if I want to signing strangers hands, it's kinda wierd. I'm going to have to go with Wayne on this one.

02-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I don't know man, I don't know if I want to signing strangers hands, it's kinda wierd. I'm going to have to go with Wayne on this one.
I was a 14 year old kid who was giddy about seeing Wayne Gretzky. We were walking with the Citytv crew to his limo and I didn't have anything with me. He could have been nicer.

Old
02-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I was a 14 year old kid who was giddy about seeing Wayne Gretzky. We were walking with the Citytv crew to his limo and I didn't have anything with me. He could have been nicer.
I'm not saying he couldn't be nicer, I'm saying I don't blame him for not signing your hand.

Old
02-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Lowetide

I think the only real debate with regard to Gretzky is where he ranks on the all time player list. I am an Oilers fan but would not put him one or even two. Orr gets my vote for #1, and I would have to put Mario ahead of 99 as well.

After that, it becomes cloudy but imo it's perfectly natural to nick Gretzky a little because he isn't what we would call a complete player. He is from the hockey family that includes Dionne, Bossy, MacLeish, Brett Hull and Lafleur. Some were a little better without the puck than others and some (MacLeish) really didn't get it at all. Gretzky imo was not devoted to certain aspects of the game, and since it is a team game it is enough to say he was not in fact the best player of all time.

However, the skills that he did possess that allowed him to dominate (anticipation, seeing open ice, knowing other players predictability and NOT allowing the opponent to have that knowledge of him) made him the very best player of his type who ever played.

I just like some other player types a little better as #1 all time.

Old
02-27-2005, 10:34 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
... and if Mother Teresa could have walked faster she could have visited more African villages .
Thanks, I'm going to use this one and claim it as my own. Looking for reasons to tear down someone who may not be perfect, that folks is the Canadian way.

Old
02-27-2005, 10:51 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide
After that, it becomes cloudy but imo it's perfectly natural to nick Gretzky a little because he isn't what we would call a complete player. He is from the hockey family that includes Dionne, Bossy, MacLeish, Brett Hull and Lafleur.
Bossy was on a team where he had to play defense.

Old
02-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Thanks, I'm going to use this one and claim it as my own. Looking for reasons to tear down someone who may not be perfect, that folks is the Canadian way.
Plagiarism, now that's the Canadian way .

Old
02-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Bossy was on a team where he had to play defense.

However, he was a "pure" offensive type of player who worked within a system. He differs from Rick MacLeish in that he actually gave effort and wasn't the last guy back on the play.

He was not a two way forward, was not a physical player and was not his line's defensive conscience. He didn't fight, which imo was a completely rational thing to do based on his exceptional value to his team. He had the quickest, most accurate release I have ever seen and he was a good team player.

But he sure as hell wasn't Don Marcotte.

Old
02-27-2005, 12:41 PM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide
I think the only real debate with regard to Gretzky is where he ranks on the all time player list. I am an Oilers fan but would not put him one or even two. Orr gets my vote for #1, and I would have to put Mario ahead of 99 as well.
Bobby Orr-I can see the argument. Mario? I spit on you, traitor. I guess everyone would have their own definition of best player of all time. Mine would involve asking who brought the most value to their team over the course of their career. In my eyes, it's Gretzky. Orr and Mario got hurt? Boo-effing hoo. Lots of people don't make the NHL or have the careers that they want for a lot of reasons. At the end of the day, all you can judge is what actually happened. Gretz providede more value than the other two.

Closed Thread