HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What least impressed you about Gretzky?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2005, 02:00 PM
  #476
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
While I am not a religious sort, I understand a new pope has been elected. Perhaps he will join me in a prayer for an end to this silly thread.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
  #477
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Damn straight.
It has to be a sign of the apocalypse. Real 'Wrath of God' type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

JCD is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:02 PM
  #478
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
It has to be a sign of the apocalypse. Real 'Wrath of God' type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
So you got nothing more to say since I just proved Oilers had far more blowouts then habs did so you start talking about the world?

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:02 PM
  #479
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
FOR YOUR INFORMATION PAL WHEN I SAID 4 OR 5 GOAL GAMES I MEANT LIKE THE TEAMS WINNING BY 4 GAMES (IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW THAT MEANS LIKE 4-0, 8-4) And guess what Oilers had far more blowouts then the habs did.
To be honest, I simply don't believe you. I have caught you in far too many lies and deceptions to trust a word you say.

Provide your links so we can substantiate your claims.

JCD is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
  #480
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Still waiting for an answer on this one:

Then you admit that Gretzky dominated the game on a level Guy can't touch?
As someone who saw both at their best I'll field that question. Absolutely, unquestionably, undoubtably, a HUGE YES. Lafleur was a funner player to watch, but Gretzky was much better. The reason IMO the Habs of the 70's were better than the Oilers of the 80's was because of much stronger depth, defense and coaching.

As a point of comparison, the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur is the same difference as Guy Lafleur and Mike Ribeiro.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
  #481
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
To be honest, I simply don't believe you. I have caught you in far too many lies and deceptions to trust a word you say.

Provide your links so we can substantiate your claims.
Go to hockeydb.com, then standings and rosters and then select the years where both teams won the cups and then go to playoff results.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:09 PM
  #482
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
As someone who saw both at their best I'll field that question. Absolutely, unquestionably, undoubtably, a HUGE YES. Lafleur was a funner player to watch, but Gretzky was much better. The reason IMO the Habs of the 70's were better than the Oilers of the 80's was because of much stronger depth, defense and coaching.

As a point of comparison, the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur is the same difference as Guy Lafleur and Mike Ribeiro.
WTF? Difference between Lafleur and Gretzky is the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur? More like the difference between Lafleur and Yzerman and Lafleur and Sakic.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:09 PM
  #483
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
To be honest, I simply don't believe you. I have caught you in far too many lies and deceptions to trust a word you say.

Provide your links so we can substantiate your claims.
Here's a website where you can find the data: http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1976.htm. Click on a team and you get the score of each game (regular season and playoffs) for each year. If somebody has a lot of time on their hands, they can calculate the number of 2+, 3+, 4+, etc goal-differential games the Canadiens and Oilers were involved in. (My educated guess is that the Canadiens blew out their opponents more often than the Oilers, simply because they routinely had a better goal differential.)

Hockey Outsider is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:12 PM
  #484
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
WTF? Difference between Lafleur and Gretzky is the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur? More like the difference between Lafleur and Yzerman and Lafleur and Sakic.

Huh??

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:14 PM
  #485
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Huh??
I meant the difference between Gretzky and Guy is like the difference between Mike Ribeiro and Lafleur. WTF IS THAT? Difference between Wayne and Guy is more like the difference between Lafleur and Sakic.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:14 PM
  #486
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
WTF? Difference between Lafleur and Gretzky is the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur? More like the difference between Lafleur and Yzerman and Lafleur and Sakic.
From this and your other posts in this thread I have only two possible conclusions, you're teenaged liar or are the age you say you are, but are suffering from dementia. You can't have watched them play in order to come up with such a ludicrous conclusion.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
  #487
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
From this and your other posts in this thread I have only two possible conclusions, you're teenaged liar or are the age you say you are, but are suffering from dementia. You can't have watched them play in order to come up with such a ludicrous conclusion.
If I was you I would shut my hole because you havent seen Guy play period. I've seen everyone play live in the past 35.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:21 PM
  #488
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Go to hockeydb.com, then standings and rosters and then select the years where both teams won the cups and then go to playoff results.
I already did that and posted my results. They vary significantly from whay you presented.

Furthermore, why are you restricting your sample to just the play-offs? That was not your original statement. Don't backtrack or use strawmen.

Again, validate your claims. Show me how many of the 800 games played by the Habs were 2-3+ goal victories and compare that to the 720 games of the Oilers. Since you made the claim, you have to substantiate. I already provided notable evidence to say you are (again) full of crap.

JCD is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:22 PM
  #489
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
If I was you I would shut my hole because you havent seen Guy play period. I've seen everyone play live in the past 35.

This thread is beginning to deteriorate to contain agressive posts, please, pacifists join me in prayer and meditation to bring it to a merciful end.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:23 PM
  #490
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
I already did that and posted my results. They vary significantly from whay you presented.

Furthermore, why are you restricting your sample to just the play-offs? That was not your original statement. Don't backtrack or use strawmen.

Again, validate your claims. Show me how many of the 800 games played by the Habs were 2-3+ goal victories and compare that to the 720 games of the Oilers. Since you made the claim, you have to substantiate. I already provided notable evidence to say you are (again) full of crap.
No you didnt state HOW MANY 2 goal games or 3 goal games each team had. Dont play me for a jackass because I just happen to disagree with you.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
  #491
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider
Here's a website where you can find the data: http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1976.htm. Click on a team and you get the score of each game (regular season and playoffs) for each year. If somebody has a lot of time on their hands, they can calculate the number of 2+, 3+, 4+, etc goal-differential games the Canadiens and Oilers were involved in. (My educated guess is that the Canadiens blew out their opponents more often than the Oilers, simply because they routinely had a better goal differential.)
Great website!

It actually isn't that hard to do if you know how to work excel. Let me take a crack at it.

JCD is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:30 PM
  #492
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,235
vCash: 500
in '76-77 the Habs, by a quick run through, had 40 blowout victories. That is wins where they scored 3 or more goals than the opposition.

The '84-'85 Oilers had 23 such victories.

I just picked two years from the infamous "6 year sample."

LOL very rough count down. 30 for the habs that year and 20 for the oil. Must have skipped a section LOL. Ooops


Last edited by norrisnick: 04-19-2005 at 02:55 PM.
norrisnick is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:33 PM
  #493
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
in '76-77 the Habs, by a quick run through, had 40 blowout victories. That is wins where they scored 3 or more goals than the opposition.

The '84-'85 Oilers had 23 such victories.

I just picked two years from the infamous "6 year sample."
Go look in the playoffs bud. I'm not talking about regular season.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
  #494
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Go look in the playoffs bud. I'm not talking about regular season.
Alright, the '74-75 - '79-80 Habs vs the '81-82 - '86-87 Oilers.
Note that to win in the Habs era you had 3 playoff rounds and the Oilers 4.

Habs - Oilers
5 - 0
3 - 8
8 - 9
6 - 7
7 - 5
3 - 6
32 - 35
These are the numbers of 3+ goal victories. Proportionately the Habs have more per games played.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:52 PM
  #495
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Alright, the '74-75 - '79-80 Habs vs the '81-82 - '86-87 Oilers.
Note that to win in the Habs era you had 3 playoff rounds and the Oilers 4.

Habs - Oilers
5 - 0
3 - 8
8 - 9
6 - 7
7 - 5
3 - 6
32 - 35
These are the numbers of 3+ goal victories. Proportionately the Habs have more per games played.
Look at their playoff win years. 75-76, 76-77, 77-78, 78-79 and for the oilers 83-84, 84-85, 86-87, 87-88.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:54 PM
  #496
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Look at their playoff win years. 75-76, 76-77, 77-78, 78-79 and for the oilers 83-84, 84-85, 86-87, 87-88.

Could we just keep looking until we find something that works in your favor?? Please someone end this merciless, terrible thread.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:56 PM
  #497
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 12,765
vCash: 500
haven't read the whole thread, but just a simple question. if guy is so good, why isn't he mentioned along with wayne, mario, bobby, and gordie in most people's and publication's lists? he's usually around #8-15.

Luigi Lemieux is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 02:58 PM
  #498
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
haven't read the whole thread, but just a simple question. if guy is so good, why isn't he mentioned along with wayne, mario, bobby, and gordie in most people's and publication's lists? he's usually around #8-15.

Dear Heavens, you're better off to keep it that way!!

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 03:00 PM
  #499
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Look at their playoff win years. 75-76, 76-77, 77-78, 78-79 and for the oilers 83-84, 84-85, 86-87, 87-88.
Fine, out of 48 victories in that Hab stretch 24 were blowouts. 50%
Out of 62 victories in that Oiler stretch 28 were blowouts. 45%

norrisnick is offline  
Old
04-19-2005, 03:01 PM
  #500
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Could we just keep looking until we find something that works in your favor?? Please someone end this merciless, terrible thread.
Oh yeah what an idiot. You put the 81-82 where Oilers only played in 5 games losing to the kings so that the numbers will work in your favor. And that's not trying to find a way to work in your favor

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.