HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bennett eventually become 'Crosby's Neal'?

View Poll Results: Will Bennett eventually become 'Crosby's Neal'?
Yes 61 58.10%
No 44 41.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 08:40 PM
  #26
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Yes but he'll have to bulk up and improve his skating by quite a bit.
I have pointed out numerous times his skating needs work, but it's something that may not hold him back. His skating isn't overly worrisome, just his technique needs cleaned up.

I thought Bobby Ryan was a poor skater when he was drafted. He had a roller hockey background like BB and the sloppy stride roller players tend to have. However, his skating took quantum leaps after a year in the NHL.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:18 AM
  #27
Richard
Registered User
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Bennett needs to be able to give the Puck to Sid in motion. Armstrong, for all his faults, knew how to give the puck to Sid in the neutral zone to enable him to fly into the zone. Hopefully Bennett, who is a good passer, has this ability.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
  #28
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
I think he will become Crosby's Bennett, mostly.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
  #29
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
I really hope he gets a chance to show if he is ready in our shortened camp. If he excels, then let him have 5-6 games.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal *Is Duper a Talbot 2.0? All he has to do is play great D, cause TO's*
Kennedy-Sutter-Cooke *Can these two work with Sutter?*
Glass-Vitale-Tangradi *Nice grit to this line*

Side Note - Are Bennett, Tangradi playing for WBS tonight or are they with the Pens now?

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
  #30
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,264
vCash: 500
Last I heard they're back in the lineup for tonight.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  #31
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
I really hope he gets a chance to show if he is ready in our shortened camp. If he excels, then let him have 5-6 games.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal *Is Duper a Talbot 2.0? All he has to do is play great D, cause TO's*
Kennedy-Sutter-Cooke *Can these two work with Sutter?*
Glass-Vitale-Tangradi *Nice grit to this line*

Side Note - Are Bennett, Tangradi playing for WBS tonight or are they with the Pens now?
I hope Dupuis is Talbot 2.0 and not Dupuis circa 2009-2010 playing with Geno and Fedotenko 2.0 in that case.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
  #32
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
If you mean Crosby's Neal, in terms of a winger that can build a lot of chemistry and become a set fixture on Crosby's flank? Then yes, with some added size, and finding some more speed in his skates. I think Bennett could become a steady 25-30 goal, 55-65pt winger playing beside Crosby.

And I would be extremely happy with that result. But like I said he needs a bit of size and speed to even give himself a stage to do that with.

Now... If you are expecting him to become the 40 goal scorer Neal we saw with magic chemistry last season with Malkin... Then I think you are setting the bar a bit to high and sadly will be disappointed. I have learned in this life to never say never... But I am for the better part a realist. I just do not see it happening, if it were to happen no one would be happier to eat crow.

But I think its a pretty safe bet that I will not have too.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
  #33
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
I really hope he gets a chance to show if he is ready in our shortened camp. If he excels, then let him have 5-6 games.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal *Is Duper a Talbot 2.0? All he has to do is play great D, cause TO's*
Kennedy-Sutter-Cooke *Can these two work with Sutter?*
Glass-Vitale-Tangradi *Nice grit to this line*

Side Note - Are Bennett, Tangradi playing for WBS tonight or are they with the Pens now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I hope Dupuis is Talbot 2.0 and not Dupuis circa 2009-2010 playing with Geno and Fedotenko 2.0 in that case.
In the past Malkin and Dupuis have not meshed very well. I am not some Malkin fan boy trying to dump all the talent on his line. Its just a reality that only in small portions of games have the two blended well together. Dupuis basically in this roster, plays on the 1st line with Crosby, or he plays a 3rd line roll with Sutter.

And honestly I would like to see the line, if Bennett could hack it on Crosby's wing, a Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett line. Dupuis has become very adept at the pace in which Crosby can cover and command ice, and can at that speed make room for Crosby. With one of the question marks with Bennett being his speed, which would inhibit his ability to make his own space I wonder how playing with those two would compliment him. Not having to worry about being the first guy in the zone, could come in and cherry pick and opening and get a shot off, or a tic-tac-toe with Sid or Duper. I can visualize a lot of good coming out of the line... Or it could be a train wreck... Who knows, but when you look at it objectively I see the top six of...

Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

...If Bennet can hang with the big boys, being a the well rounded top 6 we could create currently without trade.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:21 PM
  #34
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
In the past Malkin and Dupuis have not meshed very well. I am not some Malkin fan boy trying to dump all the talent on his line. Its just a reality that only in small portions of games have the two blended well together. Dupuis basically in this roster, plays on the 1st line with Crosby, or he plays a 3rd line roll with Sutter.

And honestly I would like to see the line, if Bennett could hack it on Crosby's wing, a Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett line. Dupuis has become very adept at the pace in which Crosby can cover and command ice, and can at that speed make room for Crosby. With one of the question marks with Bennett being his speed, which would inhibit his ability to make his own space I wonder how playing with those two would compliment him. Not having to worry about being the first guy in the zone, could come in and cherry pick and opening and get a shot off, or a tic-tac-toe with Sid or Duper. I can visualize a lot of good coming out of the line... Or it could be a train wreck... Who knows, but when you look at it objectively I see the top six of...

Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

...If Bennet can hang with the big boys, being a the well rounded top 6 we could create currently without trade.
I don't like those lines. Sid needs some a Kunitz style guy on one of the wings. Geno does too. Problem is there's only one Kunitz.

Then again, in the interest of full disclosure, I have not wavered from my Iginla and Kulemin = Kunitz-Sid-Iginla + Kumy-Geno-Neal dream.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  #35
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't like those lines. Sid needs some a Kunitz style guy on one of the wings. Geno does too. Problem is there's only one Kunitz.

Then again, in the interest of full disclosure, I have not wavered from my Iginla and Kulemin = Kunitz-Sid-Iginla + Kumy-Geno-Neal dream.
I am high on Kully being brought in to be paired up with Geno and Neal, that line would be scary... Flat out scary.

Iginla I view it as a pipe dream, it would cost to much to pull him from Calgary as a rental, and I am not sure how much of a discount he would take in the offseason to sign here... Whether it would be enough to fit him.

In the other thread I brought up, at least in terms of a rental, Ryan Clowe, San Jose has a lot of question marks interms of its roster going forward and needs to clean a tad bit of cap space before next season. He gets paid no more than Kunitz, and it off the books at the end of the season.

I think in terms of a rental that could add an extra threat, and could be had without having to put together a big package trade, he is one of the best bets we have at adding to the roster.

Could work out like this...

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett/Dupuis
Clowe - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy/Dupuis
4th line

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
  #36
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,809
vCash: 500
How "big" are we wanting BB to get here? He is around 200lbs already.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:53 PM
  #37
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
How "big" are we wanting BB to get here? He is around 200lbs already.
Well I am only a couple of inches taller than Bennett and I am at 206 and athletic, and Ill tell you id have problems taking NHL hits. 210 with good conditioning would be ideal.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
  #38
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
From when I saw him skating out here with Sid in the few practices in LA at the TSC, BB's shot is def. there and his hockey sense is pretty decent too.

The only thing that worries me about him developing into a 30 goal guy (his shot is good enough to be one) is his skating and his foot-speed.

The dude is clunky, kind of slow, and his balance looked shaky at best.

I think this all comes from how much roller hockey he played growing up, he was kind of falling all over even the shortened ice they were playing on.

Now that being said he was in decent position to take Sid's passes and burry a couple, when he wasn't falling over off balanced.

Sid found his through a ton of traffic and he was in more or less the right places, just wondering how and IF his game will translate to the fast paced of the NHL with Sid flying around like a rockets up his ass.

Also as others have said he played a little soft / floater-sih... don't know how well that will go in the NHL either and play along side Sid the way he plays the game.

If anything I think Geno would help BB a lot more than Sid, with the way he can control the puck and slow everything down, but we shall see!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
  #39
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
In the past Malkin and Dupuis have not meshed very well. I am not some Malkin fan boy trying to dump all the talent on his line. Its just a reality that only in small portions of games have the two blended well together. Dupuis basically in this roster, plays on the 1st line with Crosby, or he plays a 3rd line roll with Sutter.

And honestly I would like to see the line, if Bennett could hack it on Crosby's wing, a Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett line. Dupuis has become very adept at the pace in which Crosby can cover and command ice, and can at that speed make room for Crosby. With one of the question marks with Bennett being his speed, which would inhibit his ability to make his own space I wonder how playing with those two would compliment him. Not having to worry about being the first guy in the zone, could come in and cherry pick and opening and get a shot off, or a tic-tac-toe with Sid or Duper. I can visualize a lot of good coming out of the line... Or it could be a train wreck... Who knows, but when you look at it objectively I see the top six of...

Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

...If Bennet can hang with the big boys, being a the well rounded top 6 we could create currently without trade.
WOW... I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, hate that first line. Yuck.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
  #40
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
WOW... I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, hate that first line. Yuck.
Ya its pretty soft. Bennett would need to be replacing Dupuis on that line, not Kunitz.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
  #41
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Ya its pretty soft. Bennett would need to be replacing Dupuis on that line, not Kunitz.
Even then BB makes Duper look like a vicious killing machine!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:46 PM
  #42
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,839
vCash: 500
So, for those more in the "know" of development, is it looking like a good choice for BB to have left Denver early? As far as I understood it, it seemed that the biggest thing for him staying in college would have been more time in the weight-room. I guess it can be tough to know the proper balance between strength/conditioning versus playing time. Just figured I'd ask.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
  #43
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
So, for those more in the "know" of development, is it looking like a good choice for BB to have left Denver early? As far as I understood it, it seemed that the biggest thing for him staying in college would have been more time in the weight-room. I guess it can be tough to know the proper balance between strength/conditioning versus playing time. Just figured I'd ask.
I'd say so... to me he is able to get in the AHL with a faster paced game and better quality competition all while working with NHL level / proven skating coaches.

Skating / Balance / Speed are his biggest issues to work on IMHO.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
  #44
Al Smith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
No. Crosby's contract states that his regular linemates (which do not include the end-of the period shift with Malkin) shall not include any offensively creative players with good hands. Backups for Kunitz/Dupuis slots include Cooke, TK, Adams, and Orpik.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
  #45
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Where's the "It's too early for this thread" option?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:03 AM
  #46
gopens66
Bart 4 Crosby's RW!
 
gopens66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Altoona,Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 500
I think Neal scored 24 goals his rookie season. That's a tall order.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
  #47
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,069
vCash: 500
I'd settle for him becoming Crosby's Errey.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
  #48
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I'd settle for him becoming Crosby's Errey.
I for one, refuse to settle for this outcome. How about "Crosby's Sykora"?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
  #49
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I for one, refuse to settle for this outcome. How about "Crosby's Sykora"?
No way, Errey was pretty good as far as complimentary players went for Lemieux. I'd prefer that Bennet at least make it to Robbie Brown status, though I'll settle for Errey (which for a mid-round 1st, isn't really all that bad, considering Mike Rupp was a 9th overall).

I think we all want to avoid him becoming Crosby's Kip Miller, though.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
  #50
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
From when I saw him skating out here with Sid in the few practices in LA at the TSC, BB's shot is def. there and his hockey sense is pretty decent too.

The only thing that worries me about him developing into a 30 goal guy (his shot is good enough to be one) is his skating and his foot-speed.

The dude is clunky, kind of slow, and his balance looked shaky at best.

I think this all comes from how much roller hockey he played growing up, he was kind of falling all over even the shortened ice they were playing on.

Now that being said he was in decent position to take Sid's passes and burry a couple, when he wasn't falling over off balanced.

Sid found his through a ton of traffic and he was in more or less the right places, just wondering how and IF his game will translate to the fast paced of the NHL with Sid flying around like a rockets up his ass.

Also as others have said he played a little soft / floater-sih... don't know how well that will go in the NHL either and play along side Sid the way he plays the game.

If anything I think Geno would help BB a lot more than Sid, with the way he can control the puck and slow everything down, but we shall see!
It isn't really his speed, because his B2B speed is pretty good. It is his edge work and technique... Which is why he looks shaky at times.

I thought Bobby Ryan was a wonky, undisciplined skater coming out. He has a roller background like BB and you could see it in his stride, stops/starts, turns, how he kicked out, etc. He was a pretty ugly skater. However, he has really become a good, not great skater, since he got to the NHL.

So I'm trying not to worry about BB's skating for now.

Ironically, Crosby just called him a "great skater" in an article I read. I'll try to dig up the quote, but I'm lazy so...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.