HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
How is there not a choice? He has a choice to hold onto him until a decent deal comes through. I would hope he could get more than just listed, but I don't expect a lot more.

Again, Burke can see one thing, but in the MG has the ball in his court. Again, until Luongo flat out comes and say I want a trade right now which he has not, I look at it differently than you and perhaps how Burkie is looking.

Then again he keeps claiming you have "NHL Caliber" goaltending...which IMO is a big no.
I know Gillis has a choice but you have to admit it's best if he trades Luongo and he knows that, because eventually I can see it becoming a distraction for the Canucks. You might think Gillis has the ball in his court, however I don't think he does 100% since other GM's know in the end Luongo won't get as much in return. After all at the 2012 Draft we all know Burke didn't jump at the chance to trade Gardiner, Frattin and the 5th overall pick when Gillis asked for it.

As for the comment about Toronto having "NHL Caliber goaltending" obviously when Brian Burke or Randy Carlyle would say that, because do you want them to say no it sucks. However every Leafs fan knows we need to upgrade it. So think of it how Gillis says he is ok with Luongo staying on the Canucks. It's said in the media to make things sound ok, however behind close doors they know things need to improve.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
This is true. I'm really annoyed Tampa got Lindback. They'd have been the ideal trading partner.

With MSL and Lecavalier not getting any younger, I'm surprised they went for an unproven guy like Lindback.
They traded the most interesting piece early last season for a pick.
They wouldn't have traded Purcell due to his chemistry with Stammer and Malone doesn't interest me much since he wouldn't waive for us anyways.
The Bolts D is terrible so we wouldn't have found much there, n it seemed Stevey Y was content moving picks on a younger model. As well as drafting a high potential young guy.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

It will be interesting to see Nucks fans reactions when Lou gets traded for MUCH less than they are asking for ...

Old
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
ginner classic

Some fun facts about Toronto and Vancouver while we debate the value of Luongo.....

Roberto Luongo has finished higher in save percentage than the starter in Toronto every year but one since he became a starting goalie 12 years ago. Ed Belfour beat him once.

In their hapless history, the Canucks have never missed the playoffs for 7...not 6 ...and not even 5 consecutive seasons. This might be number 8 for Toronto (it actually is 8 already if you count the missed lockout season).

29 teams have played in the playoffs since the last lockout. None of those 29 teams are based in Toronto.

James Reimer finished 39th out of 44 goalies in save percentage (playing at least 20 games).

Trevor Linden has played in more playoff games for the Canucks than any Leaf has for that team. He's also scored more points in the playoffs for the Canucks than anyone in the close to 100 year history of the Leafs has.......by almost 20 points. And he like totally sucked.

Ok.....the last one was just for fun.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Some fun facts about Toronto and Vancouver while we debate the value of Luongo.....

Roberto Luongo has finished higher in save percentage than the starter in Toronto every year but one since he became a starting goalie 12 years ago. Ed Belfour beat him once.

In their hapless history, the Canucks have never missed the playoffs for 7...not 6 ...and not even 5 consecutive seasons. This might be number 8 for Toronto (it actually is 8 already if you count the missed lockout season).

29 teams have played in the playoffs since the last lockout. None of those 29 teams are based in Toronto.

James Reimer finished 39th out of 44 goalies in save percentage (playing at least 20 games).

Trevor Linden has played in more playoff games for the Canucks than any Leaf has for that team. He's also scored more points in the playoffs for the Canucks than anyone in the close to 100 year history of the Leafs has.......by almost 20 points. And he like totally sucked.

Ok.....the last one was just for fun.
Interesting stats, anything to take your mind off of the fact that 95% of all the hockey analysts stating that Lou's contract is atrocious and that a package of bozak and kadri is a steep price. I can't wait till he's traded and the package is nowhere close to what nucks fans though or better yet he is not traded. Also before you say oh well toronto is gonna miss the playoffs and be crap again, I'm here to tell you who cares theyve been so bad it's expected if they play better it's a nice suprise if they dont we get a solid pick. So all in all it's wins across the board for Toronto.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
Interesting stats, anything to take your mind off of the fact that 95% of all the hockey analysts stating that Lou's contract is atrocious and that a package of bozak and kadri is a steep price. I can't wait till he's traded and the package is nowhere close to what nucks fans though or better yet he is not traded. Also before you say oh well toronto is gonna miss the playoffs and be crap again, I'm here to tell you who cares theyve been so bad it's expected if they play better it's a nice suprise if they dont we get a solid pick. So all in all it's wins across the board for Toronto.
And now ladies and gentleman, you know what settling sounds like.

BTW Not a fan of either team. Just found that post hilarious.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
And if you finish 9-10th? No good pick and no playoffs. Doesn't sound like everything's roses.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Haven't heard any quotes say the contract is atrocious? Haven't even heard anyone say the cap hit is bad? People just talking about how long it is......oh and by the way where did you get the quote that Kadri and Bozak is a steep price? Seems to me that the only fact here is that 95% of what you say is made up

Old
01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
They traded the most interesting piece early last season for a pick.
They wouldn't have traded Purcell due to his chemistry with Stammer and Malone doesn't interest me much since he wouldn't waive for us anyways.
The Bolts D is terrible so we wouldn't have found much there, n it seemed Stevey Y was content moving picks on a younger model. As well as drafting a high potential young guy.
Connolly + 2013 1st or the 10th overall straight up would have done it for me.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:50 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
It will be interesting to see Nucks fans reactions when Lou gets traded for MUCH less than they are asking for ...
I'll see you then

I'll also be assuming that most will be complaining that they have up too much for Luongo

Old
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Connolly + 2013 1st or the 10th overall straight up would have done it for me.
Your still spewing out unrealistic trades for Luongo

Old
01-08-2013, 11:54 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
When the Panthers don't have a bunch of centers laying around trading off your best center prospect for a position you don't need is overpayment. Especially when your best center is on the last year of his deal and you may not re-sign him.
Exactly! Weiss is no spring chicken either. It's kind of surprising too IF the rumour is true (Weiss not wanting to re-sign) after everything Weiss has gone through with the Panthers organiztion that he wants out NOW? How does that make a lick of sense??

Weiss could have demanded a trade 2-3 years ago... how about when Tallon came into town and asked each player if he wanted out (Horton; Weiss buddy said he wanted out and his wish was granted). How about prior to last season when missing the playoffs for a decade, not at that point? Why now with the Panthers bright future that he could captain to the promise land in 2-3 years?? Something just does not add up here.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I'll see you then

I'll also be assuming that most will be complaining that they have up too much for Luongo
Also be prepared for the fact that if gillis doesnt get his price and van city keeps lou, when you try and trade him next year you'll get almost nothing of value back. Atleast if gillis traded him now he could get a decent package but if he waits the nucks get burned.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Paul Gaustad yielded a 1st round pick. I can tell your just kidding, your such a joker!

Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Exactly! Weiss is no spring chicken either. It's kind of surprising too IF the rumour is true (Weiss not wanting to re-sign) after everything Weiss has gone through with the Panthers organiztion that he wants out NOW? How does that make a lick of sense??

Weiss could have demanded a trade 2-3 years ago... how about when Tallon came into town and asked each player if he wanted out (Horton; Weiss buddy said he wanted out and his wish was granted). How about prior to last season when missing the playoffs for a decade, not at that point? Why now with the Panthers bright future that he could captain to the promise land in 2-3 years?? Something just does not add up here.
You are right. Weiss just said he wanted to wait till free agency to sign. He is only making 3.1 million, I'm pretty sure he just wants some leverage with Florida and so he can cash in with them.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
What do you want me to answer you...?

Would a simple "no" suffice? Or should I go into detail that a team that was/probably-is quite literally a goaltender away from being a cup contender might very well be willing to pay more than a team with a decent tandem currently and the best goalie prospect in the NHL?

Old
01-09-2013, 12:00 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Paul Gaustad yielded a 1st round pick. I can tell your just kidding, your such a joker!
Paul Gaustad is not a goaltender whom is signed for another 10 years at a 5.3 million cap hit you silly comedian

Old
01-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Paul Gaustad is not a goaltender whom is signed for another 10 years at a 5.3 million cap hit you silly comedian
Haha your right he is borderline 3rd line center, future UFA with shoulder problems. Ahh no man you are way funnier than me!

Old
01-09-2013, 12:02 AM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And if you finish 9-10th? No good pick and no playoffs. Doesn't sound like everything's roses.
Rules are different now... not sure entirely, but this comment if off base.

Old
LPH

Quote:
Also be prepared for the fact that if gillis doesnt get his price and van city keeps lou, when you try and trade him next year you'll get almost nothing of value back. Atleast if gillis traded him now he could get a decent package but if he waits the nucks get burned.
what is this decent package I've heard so much about?

Old
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Except for in the standings.

In all seriousness though, do you actually not care if your leafs do not make the playoffs? Whats the point of watching the regular season?

One of the best feelings I get as a fan is on the first playoff game of the year.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:04 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
What do you want me to answer you...?

Would a simple "no" suffice? Or should I go into detail that a team that was/probably-is quite literally a goaltender away from being a cup contender might very well be willing to pay more than a team with a decent tandem currently and the best goalie prospect in the NHL?
Your scenario would work if there wasn't a little outlier in the way. That outlier is a 10 year contract that is one of the worst in the league. With the exception of the flyers and the Sharks I can't find any team who a goalie away from the Cup.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:06 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Rules are different now... not sure entirely, but this comment if off base.
pretty sure that although any team that misses the playoffs has a chance at the 1st overall, I highly doubt it's a good chance and would be something to bank on

Old
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
delete, not worth it
Too late, I saw it.

Don't forget that my thinking was at the draft, when a 2013 1st wasn't as hyped up as it was now. Think late 2014 1st in terms of value if compared now.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Except we know that all of the Leafs, Panthers, Oilers, and Blackhawks have expressed some form of interest. If they saw the contract as making him have negative value, why would they bother?
Woah, when did the Oilers do that? Very worrying if true.

Closed Thread