HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 11:10 PM
  #376
IceManCat
A New Era
 
IceManCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Haha your right he is borderline 3rd line center, future UFA with shoulder problems. Ahh no man you are way funnier than me!
A little economics here, a depreciable asset must treated as a short term gain.

IceManCat is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
  #377
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
Also be prepared for the fact that if gillis doesnt get his price and van city keeps lou, when you try and trade him next year you'll get almost nothing of value back. Atleast if gillis traded him now he could get a decent package but if he waits the nucks get burned.
Or we could keep him for awhile, wait for the demand to increase when teams start having goaltending problems, rotate Luongo and Schneider keeping both fresh while receiving elite goaltending, and then deal him at the deadline when we have a specific need

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
  #378
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,936
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Woah, when did the Oilers do that? Very worrying if true.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...oberto-luongo/

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
  #379
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Woah, when did the Oilers do that? Very worrying if true.

Report a while back. But don't worry, TOR was rumoured to have increased their offer as a result, leaving EDM in the rear view... for now.

Bleach Clean is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
  #380
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Just for fun,

what are the odds Luongo win the Conn Smythe with Vancouver this year?

1000 to 1 ?


Last edited by palindrom: 01-08-2013 at 11:31 PM.
palindrom is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
  #381
Hockey 4 Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
Or we could keep him for awhile, wait for the demand to increase when teams start having goaltending problems, rotate Luongo and Schneider keeping both fresh while receiving elite goaltending, and then deal him at the deadline when we have a specific need
What your forgetting is that he's not a UFA next year, he's still signed into his 40's. What situation do you think a gm would have to be in to say hmm I hated the loungo contract 29 games ago and wouldnt touch it but now that I think about it 29 games into the season I do want a 33 year old goalie with a contract that spans his career or later and is also only a couple years away from going into decline. I really think you need to see lous contract for what it really is, it's an anchor around the neck of whatever gm deals for him. Lous an elite goalie as of right now but it's not enough to spur gms into giving a huge package for him. Also if the rumoured asking price is true, gillis is asking for players like bjugstad or kadri and bozak +, then Lou will be with the nucks for the rest of the season but I can't imagine why any nucks fan would wan't that because any value he has this season would be totally gone next season.

Hockey 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 PM
  #382
BlueChip01
Registered User
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Woah, when did the Oilers do that? Very worrying if true.
I remember Botchford tweeting the Oilers were a possibility and then a fan tweeted him back, "Do you think we could get Eberle?"

Botchford said something like, "Anything could be possible"

lol

BlueChip01 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 PM
  #383
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Just for fun,

what are the odds Luongo win the Conn Smythe with Vancouver this year?

1 to 1000 ?
1 to 2.


Edit: SB being a stickler.


Last edited by Bleach Clean: 01-08-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Bleach Clean is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:27 PM
  #384
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
What your forgetting is that he's not a UFA next year, he's still signed into his 40's. What situation do you think a gm would have to be in to say hmm I hated the loungo contract 29 games ago and wouldnt touch it but now that I think about it 29 games into the season I do want a 33 year old goalie with a contract that spans his career or later and is also only a couple years away from going into decline. I really think you need to see lous contract for what it really is, it's an anchor around the neck of whatever gm deals for him. Lous an elite goalie as of right now but it's not enough to spur gms into giving a huge package for him. Also if the rumoured asking price is true, gillis is asking for players like bjugstad or kadri and bozak +, then Lou will be with the nucks for the rest of the season but I can't imagine why any nucks fan would wan't that because any value he has this season would be totally gone next season.
A playoff bubble team with prime players and big expectations but not receiving good goaltending.

ie, any of Chicago, San Jose, NJ, TB, Washington if their goalies were to struggle. At the deadline there's a lot of pressure to make that move that gives you a chance to win the cup, especially if the teams you are battling make moves themselves.

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 PM
  #385
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I remember Botchford tweeting the Oilers were a possibility and then a fan tweeted him back, "Do you think we could get Eberle?"

Botchford said something like, "Anything could be possible"

lol
If you put the rivalry aside, it does make some sense. Tambi was in Vancouver when Luongo came in. It would give a young team stability in net and almost ensure that they make the playoffs. Edmonton also has some logical pieces which could come back the other way. They have both young players that are expendable, as well as higher salary depth guys who could still contribute now. I'm sure Gillis would rather not deal Luongo in the division, but if it's the best offer by enough it would make sense.

Respect Your Edler is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:35 PM
  #386
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
2 to 1.
1 to 2.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:36 PM
  #387
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
If you put the rivalry aside, it does make some sense. Tambi was in Vancouver when Luongo came in. It would give a young team stability in net and almost ensure that they make the playoffs. Edmonton also has some logical pieces which could come back the other way. I'm sure Gillis would rather not deal Luongo in the division, but if it's the best offer by enough it would make sense.
Edmonton also has a lot of firepower up front. Add an elite goalie like Luongo and then go out and make a splash at the deadline bringing in a top 4 man, could surprise a lot of teams in the playoffs.

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:37 PM
  #388
Hockey 4 Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
A playoff bubble team with prime players and big expectations but not receiving good goaltending.

ie, any of Chicago, San Jose, NJ, TB, Washington if their goalies were to struggle. At the deadline there's a lot of pressure to make that move that gives you a chance to win the cup, especially if the teams you are battling make moves themselves.
With the cap going down to 64.3 the teams that you listed are gonna be hard pressed to add Lou's contract with that duration left on it. Honestly if Lou was an asset on the team I followed I'd want max value for him as well considering his resume and pedigree, but realistically teams know van will be tight against the cap for next year and know that gillis can but probably shouldnt keep lou past this season so at the deadline any immediate need for a quality goalie like lou will be mitigated by the reasons listed above and a few more that werent. If lou isnt traded to Toronto I hope van city gets a great return, good luck to all of you guys, cause if he played for the leafs I'd be hoping for a large return just like you guys are.

Hockey 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
  #389
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Woah, when did the Oilers do that? Very worrying if true.
It was mentioned by a Vancouver reporter a while back. AFAIK it hasn't been confirmed by anyone else. I believe guys like Stauffer and Gregor are now saying it's very unlikely that we're in the mix for him.

Good thing too. I do not want that contract on the books for that length of time. Especially since burying contracts in the minors is off the table now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
If you put the rivalry aside, it does make some sense. Tambi was in Vancouver when Luongo came in. It would give a young team stability in net and almost ensure that they make the playoffs. Edmonton also has some logical pieces which could come back the other way. They have both young players that are expendable, as well as higher salary depth guys who could still contribute now. I'm sure Gillis would rather not deal Luongo in the division, but if it's the best offer by enough it would make sense.
Wait, are you saying Eberle for Luongo makes sense to you?

s7ark is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
  #390
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I have said Lu didnt deserve most of the crap he gets. Lundy Still has more value. He is younger and has a better contract.
His contract comes with and extra $1.5m cap hit. It'll probably go even higher on his next contract.

He is a UFA after 2013-14.

Even if his resigned he'll cost $7+m/y unless you blow out it out to 8 years. In which case it becomes Luongo like.


Last edited by me2: 01-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.
me2 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
  #391
Todds Chiropractory
Registered User
 
Todds Chiropractory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 50
At the end of the day holding onto two top goaltenders is more valuable than bolstering our third line. If the return doesn't either give us at least a significantly improved 2nd line or something that will make us significantly better in the future its not worth looking at. The Canucks are in a win now mode and moderate 3rd line upgrades and marginal futures don't do anything for that effort, so in that case we hold onto our two top goalies and have the best insurance policy possible.

Todds Chiropractory is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:12 AM
  #392
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
It was mentioned by a Vancouver reporter a while back. AFAIK it hasn't been confirmed by anyone else. I believe guys like Stauffer and Gregor are now saying it's very unlikely that we're in the mix for him.

Good thing too. I do not want that contract on the books for that length of time. Especially since burying contracts in the minors is off the table now.



Wait, are you saying Eberle for Luongo makes sense to you?
Bobby Mac mentioned on the weekend that the Oilers were "very interested" in Luongo, but it's unlikely Vancouver would trade him there.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/...37885/clip/520 @2:45

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:13 AM
  #393
The Overseer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Why do Leaf fans keep trying to make Bozak part of a Luongo deal?






The Canucks don't need or want him. They already have a Bozak. His name is Chris Higgins.

The Overseer* is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:21 AM
  #394
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Why do Leaf fans keep trying to make Bozak part of a Luongo deal?






The Canucks don't need or want him. They already have a Bozak. His name is Chris Higgins.
Higgins is a 3rd line C with the ability to play top 6 if needed?

Phion Keneuf is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:21 AM
  #395
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
1 to 2.


Edit: SB being a stickler.
Not trying to be a stickler, just think you were selling him a little short at 33%. 67% seems much more probable, no? Either way, I can't say I'm as confident as Palindrom, who has him pegged at 99.9% in your quote. Makes you wonder why we're trading him...

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:24 AM
  #396
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Higgins is a 3rd line C with the ability to play top 6 if needed?
Higgins is a third line winger with the ability to play center and the ability to play in the top 6. Does that count?

StringerBell is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 AM
  #397
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Why do Leaf fans keep trying to make Bozak part of a Luongo deal?






The Canucks don't need or want him. They already have a Bozak. His name is Chris Higgins.
His name has come up on tsn and sportsnet in regards to a luongo trade so I would say it's fans repeating what's been reported.

93gilmour93 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 AM
  #398
thrillermiller89
Registered User
 
thrillermiller89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
oilers and nucks could probably benefit from a swap of hemsky and luongo. but I doubt either fan base would be happy about such a scenario

thrillermiller89 is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:30 AM
  #399
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
oilers and nucks could probably benefit from a swap of hemsky and luongo. but I doubt either fan base would be happy about such a scenario
I think oiler fans would be fine with it.

93gilmour93 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:32 AM
  #400
stevecanuck16
Registered User
 
stevecanuck16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Wait, are you saying Eberle for Luongo makes sense to you?
Seriously? Read the guy's post again.

" Edmonton also has some logical pieces which could come back the other way. They have both young players that are expendable, as well as higher salary depth guys who could still contribute now."

Does that sound like Jordan Eberle to you? I never knew he was considered "expendable" or "depth." Sheesh, some people have serious complexes on here.

Clearly, the poster was referring to pieces like Paajarvi and the like for expendable youngsters and higher salary depth guys would mean players like Horcoff or Smyth, possibly on reduced contracts.


stevecanuck16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.