HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Chris McKinlay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I think Nonis was a fine GM. He really inherited a terrible team in Van and did alright with it.
Agreed. I think Nonis is a great GM who never got his chance to shine. I think this bodes well for Toronto.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus View Post
Funny how Canucks fans feel that Nonis will all of a sudden give top prospects and a 1st rounder for Luongo...
Of course... Canucks fans have been grasping at straws with arbitrary offers for months now.

The fact that Brian Burke is no longer in the role doesn't change what it makes sense for the Leafs to part with and what it doesn't make sense for the Leafs to part with.

For as much as "Nonis loves Luongo", the fact remains, last time he traded for him was when he was a 26 year old goaltender. He traded an embattled Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen, and Alex Auld...

Old
01-09-2013, 01:07 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Wow. The SNET reporter is an idiot. Basically asking if you're going to fire the Raptors coach as well since you have replaced two management on two different organizations.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:08 PM
The Saurus

Oh my.

Dave Nonis is a fine general manager but all pieces will be on the table in a trade for Roberto Luongo due to pressure coming from above. That includes pieces like Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, the first round pick, etc., any piece.

Start salivating Vancouver fans.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Leaf fans thought your drafting was bad before....

Old
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Of course... Canucks fans have been grasping at straws with arbitrary offers for months now.

The fact that Brian Burke is no longer in the role doesn't change what it makes sense for the Leafs to part with and what it doesn't make sense for the Leafs to part with.

For as much as "Nonis loves Luongo", the fact remains, last time he traded for him was when he was a 26 year old goaltender. He traded an embattled Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen, and Alex Auld...
He also traded with Mike Keenan...the same Keenan claims the ownership said no to Joe Thornton.

Trust me Nonis would have paid more if he could have gotten Luongo at the time.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
When Nonis and Tanenbaum were asked about Luongo you can just tell that this whole firing revolved around that situation.

Tanenbaum was nowhere to be seen - it was Nonis and Anselmi.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Agreed. I think Nonis is a great GM who never got his chance to shine. I think this bodes well for Toronto.
Nonis took a playoff team in Vancouver and turned it into a non playoff team with zero offense to speak of. I wasn't happy with his performance as our GM. Maybe that'll change this time around in Toronto.

01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Oh my.

Dave Nonis is a fine general manager but all pieces will be on the table in a trade for Roberto Luongo due to pressure coming from above. That includes pieces like Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, the first round pick, etc., any piece.

Wow can't believe you are saying this Saurus lol

Old
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:

I agree. While Nonis is more of a "Yes Man" than Burke, he's no pushover and the deal (if there was one) isn't likely to change much.

I wouldn't expect many changes in Toronto with Nonis at the helm, Luongo deal included.

While it's obviously a very high-profile firing, I don't expect the team will be run that much differently.

Old
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I believe he was referring to selling core players for futures, as some Leafs fans would advocate.
Given the state of the organization it would make more sense to sell current core for futures rather than the other way around.

There is no trade, or series of trades, the Leafs could make to turn themselves into a Cup contender in the short term.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Luongo is Nonis's favourite goalie. When asked who was the best, when Luongo was still in FLA, Nonis repeatedly said Luongo.

The difference between how these GMs _value_ goaltending is night and day. You best believe this changes the landscape.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Given the state of the organization it would make more sense to sell current core for futures rather than the other way around.

There is no trade, or series of trades, the Leafs could make to turn themselves into a Cup contender in the short term.
Nonis seems to disagree.

Old
Moore Money
Registered Boozer

Quote:

he was a free agent... and Bertuzzi was coming off a 70 point season.

Old
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Seems like Nonis is just another puppet to the huge corporate giants.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post

He also got Edler in round 2 though.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
I'm guessing [img]
his source is

damn, I'd kill to have a source like her though.
Pedneault is quite reputable.

He worked at RDS over a decade if not more, covering the Canadiens beat. Still writes for Journal de Montréal and RDS and is quite connected. Think of him as being like...Jonas Siegel I guess for the Leafs, or someone like Chris Stevenson (lesser Stevenson) for the Senators or NHL beat.

He's been around a while and doesn't spout stuff nonsensically.

As for the trade, I'd be leery of giving too much for Bobby Lou, if he can't handle Toronto and becomes bad Belfour, yikes. If he's good Belfour, Leafs are in the playoffs...

Old
01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Oh my.

Don't know if this is sarcastic, but the pressure point is correct. His predecessor was just fired. The timing is very suspect. It has to do something with the Luongo trade. Otherwise, why do it now? At this moment.

Nonis just saw Burke get fired, again. You think he's going to continue losing and get the spotlight put on him? He's going to do everything he can to win.

Old
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post

whos that ? lmao

Old
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
He also got Edler in round 2 though.
Gradin had to beg for him to trade up when he got wind that the Wings were going to take him in advance.

Old
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Wow can't believe you are saying this Saurus lol
It's the truth unfortunately. That's not to say Dave Nonis is a pushover--but he more than likely shares the same vision of the moves required to improve the team as management.

That means he'll add a Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, or an unprotected first round pick to entice Mike Gillis to move. I was confident that Brian Burke is much more strong willed than Mike Gillis... Dave Nonis? Not so much.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
he was a free agent... and Bertuzzi was coming off a 70 point season.
And Bryan Allen was a highly touted young shutdown dman (like Schenn).

Auld had also looked like a Reimer caliber goalie

Old
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
whos that ? lmao
1st round all star patrick white

Old
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Nonis took a playoff team in Vancouver and turned it into a non playoff team with zero offense to speak of. I wasn't happy with his performance as our GM. Maybe that'll change this time around in Toronto.
That was as a result of Naslund regressing and Jovo leaving (which the Canucks were right to do). The Canucks were just in a poor position - aging stars, and no prospects other than Sedins, Kesler and Burrows (who were all already on the team).

Nonis chief damage as it pertained to Vancouver IMO was the lack of toughness and leadership the team had under him.

But his bringing in Luongo and Mitchell was good for the team.

Old
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
whos that ? lmao
The Great One Patrick White aka Harry Potter

Closed Thread