HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
HarrisonFord
Resident Leaf Homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
Bob McCown on #Sportsnet: Burke didn't want to deal Kadri & Gardiner for Luongo. Felt it wasn't the right deal to make.
So Gillis wanted to gut our future. Hahahahahahahahahahahah. That is the definition of a trade ****. Glad Burke said no.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Well, Burke will always be negatively looked at for dealing 1st round picks for a young PPG player. I can't wait to see Nonis' legacy if he deals them for a 33 year old goalie on a lifer deal.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
The thing is that with Burke, I can see the final straw being something a lot more trivial than most people would expect. The guy has a real track record of being stubborn and making a stand on things that people wouldn't typically expect.

I can actually picture a scene where Burke tells his ownership group that if they want Luongo he'll drive them to the airport to pick him up.

All this isn't to say there weren't a 100 other reasons why it didn't work out for Burke, the path to his firing wasn't created in a day, but I agree that in terms of a final sticking point it does feel like a supposed Luongo deal played a role.

It definitely did, and I agree, the breaking point could have been minor. However, it's clear with the timing that it was the Luongo deal right now. That's all that really matters.

Style change? Fire him in August. CBA ratified and still refusing to pay for Luongo? Fire him now. As Mirtle, Cox, Spector and LeBrun all confirm.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
How is it a role reversal? Most Nuck's fans have been asking for the moon and most Leafs fans have laughed the whole way....no reversal.
More Leafs offering little to no value and screaming Luongo isn't worth anything. While I do not actually believe Nonis is going to bent over. There's a sense he will pay a lot more than Burke. So we're running with it. Granted, a bit to an extreme

Old
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
DPyro

McCown is a joke and knows nothing about hockey.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
McCown is a joke and knows nothing about hockey.
I bet you wouldn't say that if he said the offer was Bozak + 4th.

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
But he didn't.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
So you really believe that the CEOs of Bell/Rogers are going to call up Brian Burke and tell him to trade for (or not trade for) Roberto Luongo?

No, I'm saying they saw him reluctant to deal for Luongo, when the people around him were on board, and they added that to everything else and decided to fire him. It was the breaking point. These reporters know what they are talking about.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:42 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Give me a break, I still would and have already said McCown is a joke and knows nothing about hockey.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Gardiner and Kadri?

We might as well toss Kessel in there too. I ****ing hate the morons running this team. Bring Burke back holy ****

Old
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It definitely did, and I agree, the breaking point could have been minor. However, it's clear with the timing that it was the Luongo deal right now. That's all that really matters.

Style change? Fire him in August. CBA ratified and still refusing to pay for Luongo? Fire him now. As Mirtle, Cox, Spector and LeBrun all confirm.
I should also add that by stating Burke is stubborn, it doesn't always mean it's in a bad way. Obviously in his own mind it's the right thing to do. In fact I can't think of many better ways to make him dig his heels in then by trying to force his hand in trading all these young assets he's worked so hard to put together for an older goalie. Not to mention the idea of losing a trade with his frenemies in Vancouver.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
No, I'm saying they saw him reluctant to deal for Luongo, when the people around him were on board, and they added that to everything else and decided to fire him. It was the breaking point. These reporters know what they are talking about.
"Seeing him reluctant to deal for Luongo while people around him were on board" would require them actually getting involved in those player personnel decisions...

Do you have that little faith in the people at Bell/Rogers? Want to short their stock?

Old
01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
This thread reminds me of an Iron Man vs Batman discussion where all the Batman fans think that Batman can simply defeat Iron Man by EMP on the suit and then beating Tony Stark into submission. Meanwhile, no one stops to think that the billionaire genius who was smart enough to build his own ****ing Iron Man suit hasn't thought of the possibility of an EMP and how to counter it.

Now that Burke is gone, people think Nonis is a blithering idiot who will give everything and anything to get Luongo in Toronto.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Cogburn

The meat puppets on Sportsnet seem to think it's either Bozak+Kadri as the base (and that Burke would have done that) or that Gardiner+ was the center, and that's why Burke was so hesitant to pull the trigger (and that Burke would have had egg on his face).

For everyone that brought up the Richards proposed/alleged deal from way back, just remember how insane an 90 point powerforward, a top 4 and rising D and a starter would have seemed for Luongo before the lock out, or a 30 goal scoring winger, a 2C, top 4 D and a grinder for Phaneuf, a prospect and a grinder. Some times the trades work out for one side, sometimes the other.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Gardiner and Kadri?

We might as well toss Kessel in there too. I ****ing hate the morons running this team. Bring Burke back holy ****
Relax...McCowan could pulling a horse shoe out of his ass. Especially if that happens which we as canuck fans doubt will happen!

Old
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Inverted

If Nonis panics and overpays for Lu, ie: trade either Gardiner or 1st, I'll head downtown egg Nonis's car and start a fire at the ACC.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

McCown with Kadri + Gardiner

I could see Gards + 1st

Old
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Kadri has always seemingly been a possibility, but i would still maintain Gards isn't on the table.....However well may have a resolution sooner rather than later.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
"Seeing him reluctant to deal for Luongo while people around him were on board" would require them actually getting involved in those player personnel decisions...

Do you have that little faith in the people at Bell/Rogers? Want to short their stock?

People around him like Nonis and his _hockey_ advisors_.

Dreger referenced Burke not being "democratic" in his approach. Being closed minded about BDCs and Goalie value in general, as he has been over the course of his career, could have been enough for others to say enough is enough.

Old
Hero
Buffy is Back

If it's less than Kadri + Gardiner I will be very happy.

Old
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Now that Burke is gone, people think Nonis is a blithering idiot who will give everything and anything to get Luongo in Toronto.
I know right? Nonis actually did a lot of the trades for the Leafs. Phaneuf being one of them.

Old
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
If Nonis panics and overpays for Lu, ie: trade either Gardiner or 1st, I'll head downtown egg Nonis's car and start a fire at the ACC.
Thats how most Canucks fans would feel about Gillis handing Luongo over for Bozak+Kadri. So let's find a happy medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

I could see Gards + 1st
I'd accept Gardiner straight in light of recent circumstances, however, I think pieces on either side to even things out will likely be the winning ticket.

Old
HarrisonFord
Resident Leaf Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

I could see Gards + 1st
/vomit

Old
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
hoping this means we get one of Gardiner or a 1st, not expecting both.

Luo, Raymond for Bozak, Frattin and Gardiner or 1st.

that's fair, though I know Leaf fans don't see it that way. And I can also see those who think they should have no part of a 33 YO goalie to begin with, but that doesn't mean he worth Bozak/Franson.

But we'll see ...this means nothing until an actual deal is done.

Having been 3 times a bridesmaid this summer with the Weber/Schultz/Doan drama, I take nothing for granted.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
TheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413146

Wowsers! Luongo is definitely headed to T.O if Nonnis takes over. And for a better price I'd wager too.

IF LU comes here PLEASE VAN DONT **** US OVER HARD ,

I Dont know anymore

Closed Thread