HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Gotta say, I'm liking how it's the Canucks fans proposing trades that Leafs fans seem to just hate. I like the reversal here...

Old
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Within minutes of a firing that shook the landscape here at the Board of Governor's meetings, a source confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Burke was unwilling to make the trade that all of his lieutenants inside the Leafs organization were pushing for. That includes Burke's replacement, new Leafs GM Dave Nonis, who will now work towards consummating that trade with the Vancouver Canucks.
- http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/...leafs_canucks/

So apparently Nonis agreed with a deal of Luongo for something.

And the same source thats telling us this, says that something was Kadri + Gardiner.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Thats how most Canucks fans would feel about Gillis handing Luongo over for Bozak+Kadri. So let's find a happy medium.

I'd accept Gardiner straight in light of recent circumstances, however, I think pieces on either side to even things out will likely be the winning ticket.
I can't believe we're back to Gardiner again. This is just sad from Toronto's perspective.

Saddest part is that in light of these recent circumstances, I have no clue what is realistic anymore.

While I'm not against picking up Luongo, all I know is if Gardiner is the "happy medium", then I have a very different definition of happy than you do.

Old
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
This thread reminds me of an Iron Man vs Batman discussion where all the Batman fans think that Batman can simply defeat Iron Man by EMP on the suit and then beating Tony Stark into submission. Meanwhile, no one stops to think that the billionaire genius who was smart enough to build his own ****ing Iron Man suit hasn't thought of the possibility of an EMP and how to counter it.

Now that Burke is gone, people think Nonis is a blithering idiot who will give everything and anything to get Luongo in Toronto.
His dad was smarter than him in creating that power source in iron man 2.

Old
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
hoping this means we get one of Gardiner or a 1st, not expecting both.

Luo, Raymond for Bozak, Frattin and Gardiner or 1st.

that's fair, though I know Leaf fans don't see it that way. And I can also see those who think they should have no part of a 33 YO goalie to begin with, but that doesn't mean he worth Bozak/Franson.

But we'll see ...this means nothing until an actual deal is done.

Having been 3 times a bridesmaid this summer with the Weber/Schultz/Doan drama, I take nothing for granted.
Absolutely terrible for the Leafs. They make a trade like that and I am done.

Old
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
If Nonis panics and overpays for Lu, ie: trade either Gardiner or 1st, I'll head downtown egg Nonis's car and start a fire at the ACC.
Hey that sounds familiar from my city...like say I don't know a SCF Game 7?

Old
Gberg

Trading Gardiner or a 1st, is absolutely batsh*t crazy. That's so ludicrous I may even stop following the leafs for a while.

Even trading Kadri is a stretch in my opinion. But at least it's somewhat possible.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Gotta say, I'm liking how it's the Canucks fans proposing trades that Leafs fans seem to just hate. I like the reversal here...
Again, no reversal......we've always hated Nuck's fans proposals.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 600
Maclean and Kypreos just mentioned Kadri + Gardiner.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
The tables may have turned in terms of offense vs defense, but both sides have been doing this all along.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Less hate and more slightly unnerved they might be true, or closer to it. That's what I find amusing.

Old
Diamonddog01

What's funny is that most Canuck fans were not asking for Gardiner or Rielly, but were putting forth reasonable proposals like Bozak, Frattin and a 2nd (I felt a 1st was reasonable). This was shot down as ludicrous by the Leafs posters.

If Vancouver does indeed get Gardiner I will be ecstatic and so many ******** Toronto fans get to eat crow. You guys can keep Kadri though. Gardiner & Bozak will be just fine, thank you.

Old
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Two of the arguably biggest fanbases on HF are conducting a trade around a very well known player all at the same time HF's whipping boy Burke got canned and the beginning of hockey has practically.

HFBoards is going to crash

Old
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
I can't believe we're back to Gardiner again. This is just sad from Toronto's perspective.

Saddest part is that in light of these recent circumstances, I have no clue what is realistic anymore.

While I'm not against picking up Luongo, all I know is if Gardiner is the "happy medium", then I have a very different definition of happy than you do.
Its a game changer man. Leadership...you had a stubborn bull of a leader in Burke, and while Nonis isn't a push over, his entire team system for the Moose and the Canucks was build from the goal out, and he paid to have that kind of goalie in the past.

I wouldn't call Gardiner a "happy medium" either, but Gardiner+Kadri is equivilent to Bozak+Kadri for us Canucks fans. Its retched value. As I said, I like the sudden shift in "power" fans have had on this site today, but it's all meaningless until we see something happen.

Old
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Ugh, if it's based around Gardiner for Lou...it's like the JFJ era all over again. Young players for vets with a few years left.

Old
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

where in that article is Kadri or Gards mentioned......Vancouver could be asking for that but id be absolutely flaberghasted if thats the case....However i agree that Luongo to Toronto seems more likely given the timing of things, and the rumours which i take with a grain of salt.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Lundface

I understand people not wanting to trade Gardiner, but IMO you aren't factoring in the effect Luongo would have on your team not only immediately but in the near future.

If say you trade Gardiner, most likely the rest of your offence is in tact. You will lose some offence from Gardiner, but you will have improved in preventing goals significantly.

You have a ton of pieces coming up, especially on defence. Trading from a position of strength for a severe weakness is not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
If one of these insane Gardiner++ deals actually happens. How many Leaf fans are on suicide watch or cheering different teams, god forbid Vancouver being one of them?

Old
01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Gberg

This trade proposal being floated around is ludicrous.. stop wasting our time believing it. Why would Luongo be traded for a better package now than when he was with Florida.

Old
Prophet Kadri

This timing is fishy, I'm going to wait until the first game of the season or until a Luongo trade to have an opinion about this firing.

Old
Inverted

Quote:
Thats how most Canucks fans would feel about Gillis handing Luongo over for Bozak+Kadri. So let's find a happy medium.

I'd accept Gardiner straight in light of recent circumstances, however, I think pieces on either side to even things out will likely be the winning ticket.
Reality is Canucks and Leafs just don't make good trading partners at the moment, Leafs cannot afford to mortgage the future for short-term success and should not trade their top prospects like Gardiner and 1st round picks. Luongo belongs on a team who are cup contenders not on the Leafs for whom to acquire Luongo would cost them an arm and a leg.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
Trading Gardiner or a 1st, is absolutely batsh*t crazy. That's so ludicrous I may even stop following the leafs for a while.

Even trading Kadri is a stretch in my opinion. But at least it's somewhat possible.
I still dont get that.

Luongo has more impact on a team/franchise than Gardiner and Kadri combined.

Gardiner is a good young player, but he isn't Bobby Orr FFS.

Luongo is a true impact player.

the others at this time are contributors, not leaders.

Even if its Gardiner + Bozak + Kadri + 1st I still think the Leafs are a better team with LU.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
People around him like Nonis and his _hockey_ advisors_.

Dreger referenced Burke not being "democratic" in his approach. Being closed minded about BDCs and Goalie value in general, as he has been over the course of his career, could have been enough for others to say enough is enough.
Again, how dumb / small minded do you think the people at Bell/Rogers are??

Old
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If one of these insane Gardiner++ deals actually happens. How many Leaf fans are on suicide watch or cheering different teams, god forbid Vancouver being one of them?
Would rather cheer for the Habs at this point.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Again, how dumb / small minded do you think the people at Bell/Rogers are??
I think they're smart enough to want to see some serious playoff revenue after just buying the Leafs and having to endure half a year of lost revenues.

Closed Thread