HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

iginla at the deadline

Old
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaWing View Post
Id love to have him on the Wings but we have too many bottom 6 forwards and not enough top 4 dmen. Just doesn't add up
Iginla is, as was mentioned, a Joe Nieuwendyk situation (how ironic, huh?).

So going off of that baseline, we'd be looking at giving up a 30+ 3rd/4th liner and a top prospect. But Nieuwendyk was also six years younger.

Calgary got a top prospect winger and a 4th line center on the verge of retirement. Nieuwendyk being six years younger played basically seven seasons for Dallas (traded at the end of the seventh). He was not quite a PPG player, but was legitimately clutch in the playoffs (Smythe in 99, other solid performances) and this was playing as the second-line center.

So Iginla to Detroit is probably a deal like Dan Cleary and Tomas Jurco. The "Iginla return" factor might drive him down even further, and turn Jurco into Joakim Andersson.

However, Calgary won't be missing the playoffs this year, so this discussion is moot.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Iginla is, as was mentioned, a Joe Nieuwendyk situation (how ironic, huh?).

So going off of that baseline, we'd be looking at giving up a 30+ 3rd/4th liner and a top prospect. But Nieuwendyk was also six years younger.

Calgary got a top prospect winger and a 4th line center on the verge of retirement. Nieuwendyk being six years younger played basically seven seasons for Dallas (traded at the end of the seventh). He was not quite a PPG player, but was legitimately clutch in the playoffs (Smythe in 99, other solid performances) and this was playing as the second-line center.

So Iginla to Detroit is probably a deal like Dan Cleary and Tomas Jurco. The "Iginla return" factor might drive him down even further, and turn Jurco into Joakim Andersson.

However, Calgary won't be missing the playoffs this year, so this discussion is moot.
just stop.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
KingCanadain1976

ok here my take If the flames are out and iggy wants a cup run bad enuff he will quietly go to the gm and say please trade me to and give a list of 2-3 teams and let the gm work it out. To me one of the teams would be la. To me its more of where he wants to go then who is interested in him. As to why la sutter would be a major factor. Iggy would know what to respect and fit in well with the kings style imo. As to what flames would get something amoung toffoli pearson king drewiski muzzin and vey would be available i would think maybe nolon Some combo of this and maybe a conditional first in 14 depending on his resigning in la in the off season. Not getting 2 firsts due to the limit market for him (being places he would want to go)

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
ok here my take If the flames are out and iggy wants a cup run bad enuff he will quietly go to the gm and say please trade me to and give a list of 2-3 teams and let the gm work it out. To me one of the teams would be la. To me its more of where he wants to go then who is interested in him. As to why la sutter would be a major factor. Iggy would know what to respect and fit in well with the kings style imo. As to what flames would get something amoung toffoli pearson king drewiski muzzin and vey would be available i would think maybe nolon Some combo of this and maybe a conditional first in 14 depending on his resigning in la in the off season. Not getting 2 firsts due to the limit market for him (being places he would want to go)
I dunno why this has to be said, over, and over and over and over, but Iginla himself has already stated "If the team asked me to waive my NMC, I would".

So this limited market idea, is just crap. Just about every team looking at the playoffs would have interest in him.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I dunno why this has to be said, over, and over and over and over, but Iginla himself has already stated "If the team asked me to waive my NMC, I would".

So this limited market idea, is just crap. Just about every team looking at the playoffs would have interest in him.
Ok first thing iginla is one of the most classy hockey players and deserves a chance to win the cup. I wouldnt expect him to say anything less then ill do the best for the team publicly. Now realisticly if u were him would you wave it to go to the jets islander maple leafs etc yes they have shots of the playoffs but they dont have a realistic shot at the cup when u comepare them to boston nyr pitts kings etc I totally understand and agree with your every team would have interest but would he wave his no trade clause for anyone no he wouldnt or why would he have the clause makes no sence, Iggy will do the team right by giving them a short list of who he would goto but if u think the list is bigger then 4 5 team that to me is unrealistic. Teams in that group would go at a small bidding war but wont go over board (2 firsts for a 35 year old soon to be free agent is outragous)

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
If he puts up 35-40g, 80pts again teams will be willing to give up a kings ransom. He takes any contender to the next level.

In this short season i still see him scoring 30 easy
If Iginla puts up 35-40 and 80 in 48 games, he wins the Hart, Ross, Richard, Lindsay, 1st team, and is likely not traded.

But if he is, even as a rental, he costs a whole heck of a lot.

Good thing for any team that would be trading for him that he's averaged 82GP (no missed games), 36-38-74 over the past three seasons, with a peak of 43-43-86 (highs in all).

Quote:
just stop.
Do you think a team would trade a solid depth forward and a legit top-six forward prospect for a 35 year-old who is noticeably not himself and is clearly not returning to the team he's traded to? If Iginla doesn't start playing like Iginla, and gets traded, there's no guy like Jurco coming back.

Which realistically should change the trade entirely (instead of trading for roster+prospect, trade just for prospect).

Instead of Cleary/Andersson, Sheahan+pick would probably suit the Flames well. Or Jurco alone.

If Iginla consistently plays the way he' been the past few games the rest of the year, then he'd pull in the kind of return we'd "expect" for him. But if not, then he's getting the "washed up vet" return.

Think about the "Brad Stuart to San Jose" trade this past summer. He went for a 7th. That's all San Jose would give. And Andrew Murray (RFA, not re-signed by Detroit), because they needed to clear a contract spot. Why? Every single GM in the league knew Stuart wanted to play in California. So Holland - if he wanted anything - had to trade him to San Jose, Anaheim, or Los Angeles. San Jose was the only team that was even close to interested in Stuart. If he just wanted out of Detroit, Holland probably can get a 4th or even a 3rd for him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
pdd

Quote:

So why does he even have a NMC?

That's what's never made sense to me. Guys who have them but say "Oh, yeah, sure, I'd waive it if asked."

So why do you have it? Are you afraid of being waived instead of traded?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
So why does he even have a NMC?

That's what's never made sense to me. Guys who have them but say "Oh, yeah, sure, I'd waive it if asked."

So why do you have it? Are you afraid of being waived instead of traded?
You'd have to ask Iginla. He's the one who said it.

Most likely it's job security. Three years ago, he probably wouldn't waive his NMC with a young family. Now, he knows he probably has the opportunity to come back to Calgary next season if he wants to, but he may waive his NMC to 1) Help himself win a cup, and 2) help the team he might be coming back to.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote