HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
While missing the play-offs will be a death blow to any Memorial Cup hosting dreams, I'm not prepared to say the Aleardi deal and Giftopoulos deals were bad - Aleardi and Koko are very good role models for Ho-Sang to play with, even if just for half a year. Ho-Sang literally had nobody on this team he could look to as an on-ice mentor type as his skill set was completely different than anybody on our team. Giftopoulos is one of those gritty guys who will give 100% and do whatever it takes and play in any role - another area where our team was lacking in role models. Blocking shots/putting your boy on the line is contagious.
If you view things in a vacuum I guess. My issue boils down to waiting 40 games to finally start addressing needs and change the atmosphere surrounding the team. If this was the whole team for the season I would be confident in making the playoffs. Rychel waited 40 games to switch things up and collectively over those 40 the team was mediocre all year and bottomed out with a 7 game losing streak.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Ottomatic

Good win by the boys today - look like a different team. We should do a lot better defensively just with Koko's puck control alone, keeping the puck from the opposition or bouncing around with errant passes. Coaching staff already has confidence in Remy in defensive situations - seemed to use him at center today, I wonder if they saw him as a Michael Clarke replacement as that was going to be Clarke's role with us really.

Aleardi is fun to watch, can't buy a goal it seems, but has glorious chances. He'll eventually get his, and still making things happen with three assists in three games for us.

Ho-Sang's dangle was ridiculous on the Johnson goal.

Good tilt between Clark and McGuire - I missed the Bowen/Dundas one. I would have pegged Clark vs Dundas and Bowen vs McGuire, but then I don't take into account how crazy Emerson is and that it was his home coming so why not take on the biggest, toughest guy on the other team.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If you view things in a vacuum I guess. My issue boils down to waiting 40 games to finally start addressing needs and change the atmosphere surrounding the team. If this was the whole team for the season I would be confident in making the playoffs. Rychel waited 40 games to switch things up and collectively over those 40 the team was mediocre all year and bottomed out with a 7 game losing streak.
Rychel was basically waiting on Koko. We'll probably never know why Koko came back, the story we're being told is that Boston made him (for all intents and purposes), but Koko struggling in the KHL and his father being fired as GM had something to do with it as well.

Aleardi wasn't made available until the Avs sent back Heard. And we only got him because the Whalers were doing the kid a solid by trading him close to home.

If this was the team for the whole season, I'd be confident in home ice for at least the first round.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:52 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Yeah excellent point Rayzor, I think after that short win streak he had too much faith in the team possibly turning it around. (myself included) The win streak also came at the worst time with it being just before the WJs too.

On another note guys don't add fuel to the fire just let it burn itself out.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Rychel was basically waiting on Koko. We'll probably never know why Koko came back, the story we're being told is that Boston made him (for all intents and purposes), but Koko struggling in the KHL and his father being fired as GM had something to do with it as well.

Aleardi wasn't made available until the Avs sent back Heard. And we only got him because the Whalers were doing the kid a solid by trading him close to home.

If this was the team for the whole season, I'd be confident in home ice for at least the first round.
I understand the Aleardi part. The Khokhlachev thing is still bizarre and it quite possibly could cost this team a playoff spot. I am not talking about just these moves but doing anything in general. Aleardi upgrades their OA slot but they still only carrying 2 and Clark hasn't contributed much.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
hockeylegend11

5 out 6 pts nice start to get back in the playoff hunt,much better play on the road,again hope injury to Koekkoek is not serious,Spits allowed only 4 goals excluding shootout in last 3 games going 2-0--0-1 where as in the previous they allowed 44 goals and scored only 20
Spits getting a little shorthanded player,with Koekkoek out,Marchese shaken up in the 1st,did not see him the rest of the way
Goaltending and defense has improved considerably,while they are far more dangerous with Koko and Aleardi in the lineup on the offensive side of things
Very solid game by Giftopoulous,Verbeek and Studnicka
Its amazing what winning does for confidence and morale,they did wilt a bit in the third but prevailed

Old
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
ohlws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
lol..and where are you guys sitting this year?? you won't make playoffs..unless of course you cheat again and pay players but please don't get caught this time its embarassing..good luck in the draft the next few years.
Windsor could draft from rounds 10-15 every year and still have a better team than the Petes. Good luck trying to convince players to stay in Peterborough.

To those that are curious, yes I realize I am feeding the troll.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Percyma

[QUOTE=Percyma;57555679] ]the troll that realizes your team cheats to win and we give you our problem players. Devlin and Clarke are great kids thanks a tonne![/QUOT

I feel your considerable pain. I have been going to OHL games for so long I can remember a time when the Petes actually mattered.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Section103

Why do you guys feed the trolls? It's simple, ignore them and they go away

Solid game by the boys tonight -- focus on that

Old
01-13-2013, 08:36 PM
hockeyboy4

whats up with london? anouther loss

Old
01-13-2013, 08:49 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
whats up with london? anouther loss
Not much to play for. They all but have a 1 seed in the west locked up. Along the same lines of the 2010 Spits who were sleep walking through certain stretches of the season. Doesn't help Windsor at all but they will have to go in and get a W on Friday in London.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Ottomatic

London is losing on purpose as Saginaw and the Soo are the teams we're likeliest to catch to get into the play-offs. London has first place locked up throughout the play-offs, so wins and losses mean nothing to them anymore.

(no not really)

Old
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
London is losing on purpose as Saginaw and the Soo are the teams we're likeliest to catch to get into the play-offs. London has first place locked up throughout the play-offs, so wins and losses mean nothing to them anymore.

(no not really)
Were you wearing a tinfoil hat when you typed that?

Edit: Sorry, missed that part the first time. Well done

Old
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
etr102

Any news on Koekkoek and how long he'll be out?

Old
01-14-2013, 05:27 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:

(no not really)
thought the same after the saggy game but thought i wouldnt say anything until after the soo game. THe hunters know what they are doing, and dont want the spits in the playoffs. especially if their putting in a MEM cup bid as well.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
spitz fan 4ever

apparently slater had off season surgery on his left shoulder, does any1 know which shoulder he is nursing now ?

Old
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
thought the same after the saggy game but thought i wouldnt say anything until after the soo game. THe hunters know what they are doing, and dont want the spits in the playoffs. especially if their putting in a MEM cup bid as well.
Otto is being sarcastic. The only part that is true is London has nothing to play for.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Well one thing is true the Spits are unbeaten in regulation since the trade deadline going 2-0-0-1 in the last 3 games
Belleville if u can believe it are 13-1-2 against the West this season,and with the additions of Graovac and Quine might just emerge from the East,especially if Scheifele from Barrie,Jenner from Osh,Hamitlon and Strome from Nf dont retuen from their NHL teams allowing the Bulls with their great goaltending and new found offense to go up against the best in the west
Back to the Spits,they are now 5-3-1-4 against East conf teams,with 3 games remaining against ottawa and Peterborough in total,they have yet to play Peterborough yet
The Spits are currently 11-16-0-2 against teams in their conference,interestingly 0-6 against Owen Sd and Plymouth,where 4 of the 6 have been on the road,and they are 11-10-0-2 against the other 7 teams in the Western Conf,including a home record of 7-2-0-2
Furthermore the Spits have yet to play a team in their conf and wont do so until the game in London,after Thursday"s home tilt against Missy,with their revamped lineup.
The Spits have the most home games left of any teams in their conference 14,while Saginaw has 12 and SSM has 10
Also the Spits have 2 games in hand on Sag and SSM,alot better then the reverse considering the pt disparity between Windsor and the other 2
Spits improved play on the road gives some optimism going forward,and while I am painfully aware numbers dont mean a thing,stats sometimes dont lie especially when it comes to trends and quirks,etc
Hopefully ,unless the paper was wrong Koekkoeks injury does not appear serious,even if it s a game or 2 or 3,get him healthy,Spits looked pretty good with him in the lineup
The group of 5 excluding Bowen played very well yesterday,I think Bateman has definitely improved over the past 3 games,especially Thurs and Sunday
The Koko line and the Vail line look very capable of scoring,while Giftopulous,Verbeek and Clark looked good and a 3rd unit all weeekend
The goaltending with Pavelka was outstanding he only allowed 4 goals in the 3 games he played,he needs to carry the ball going forward
Its only a start,lets hope they can biuld on it and make that 7 game losing streak a long gone memory

Old
01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
hockeylegend11

One thing I forgot to mention the Bulls great record against the West this year was that the
Spits were 0-0-0-2 against them losing both in a shootout,as both clubs scored 4 each against each other in the 2 games excluding the shootout winner

Old
01-14-2013, 07:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention the Bulls great record against the West this year was that the
Spits were 0-0-0-2 against them losing both in a shootout,as both clubs scored 4 each against each other in the 2 games excluding the shootout winner
People give a lot of grief to the East but I think it's quite possible Belleville and Barrie are 2 of the top 3 teams in the OHL this year, #1 is London.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
People give a lot of grief to the East but I think it's quite possible Belleville and Barrie are 2 of the top 3 teams in the OHL this year, #1 is London.
Yeah,before the deadline I would have said Barrie,not Belleville now they have Quine and Groavac must say u might be right,London,Barrie and Belleville
Do you think the Knights are risky going with 2 rookie tenders with zero playoff experience?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Ottomatic

Belleville has that gimmick ice though - huge home ice advantage over and above fans, last change, no travel etc. Road teams struggle, especially in the first with their spacing especially. I don't know why the league allows it really. Smaller than regulation I can understand because the old arenas and huge cost to make the rinks bigger - but just add a couple rows of seats and move in the boards.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:35 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Yeah,before the deadline I would have said Barrie,not Belleville now they have Quine and Groavac must say u might be right,London,Barrie and Belleville
Do you think the Knights are risky going with 2 rookie tenders with zero playoff experience?
Yes it's a risk but I'm not sure what the alternative was. I don't think any team is in a position to turn their back on a prospect like Stolarz. I am skeptical Stolarz can put the numbers that Baille did but they also have Stolarz for next year. I think London is the best team in the OHL but I wouldn't bet that they make the OHL Final. I still believe Plymouth puts it together, from January 2nd to Feb 9th they have 12 home games and the only travel for road games is Saginaw, Sarnia and Windsor. Talk to me in a month about Plymouth it wouldn't surprise me if they pass Sarnia for a 2 seed and pass other teams in points like Kitchener and Owen Sound. Trocheck was the best acquisition of any team is an absolute gamebreaker he's been on fire since being acquired by Plymouth. Plymouth isn't strong on the backend but they have 9 forwards you can put against any team in the OHL or the CHL. Vellucci has always won with strong backends but he may have to let his horses loose.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Ottomatic

London is building for next year - their moves, or lack of them, prove as much. They traded for one in Sefton who will be an OA, and signed in two more from the NCAA's - all at the cost of Raine and a 4th. They're bidding for the Memorial Cup afterall, anything they win this year is gravy to them, next year is their target. They lose Harrington and their current OA's. But both import defencemen should be back, and they'll be a team of a lot of 19 and 18 yr olds with winning pedigrees.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:56 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yes it's a risk but I'm not sure what the alternative was. I don't think any team is in a position to turn their back on a prospect like Stolarz. I am skeptical Stolarz can put the numbers that Baille did but they also have Stolarz for next year. I think London is the best team in the OHL but I wouldn't bet that they make the OHL Final. I still believe Plymouth puts it together, from January 2nd to Feb 9th they have 12 home games and the only travel for road games is Saginaw, Sarnia and Windsor. Talk to me in a month about Plymouth it wouldn't surprise me if they pass Sarnia for a 2 seed and pass other teams in points like Kitchener and Owen Sound. Trocheck was the best acquisition of any team is an absolute gamebreaker he's been on fire since being acquired by Plymouth. Plymouth isn't strong on the backend but they have 9 forwards you can put against any team in the OHL or the CHL. Vellucci has always won with strong backends but he may have to let his horses loose.
I agree about Stolarz,though with 4 goalies in the system,excluding Patterson,including 3 drafted this past yr,a 1st rder in Herbst plus 2 others,plus the Windsor kid Wheaton,and the fact Patterson and Stolarz are the same age makes for a real logjam going forward will be some unhappy camper,if Patterson were to go down,could get interesting,last yr with Houser had he gone down,going with Teichman might have been ugly,taking more of a chance might be tempting fate a bit much we shall see
As for Plymouth u are right they are scary upfront,but very questionable on the back end and in goal,and in my humble opinion that will be their undoing,like last yr did not address the defence at the deadline and paid the price,this year even more so despite the best 9 offensive group,defence and golatending ultimately wins unlike the reg season
My feeling if Windsor continues to get better and get the 7 or 8 hole for the playoffs nobody will want to play them in the 1st rd,although in fairness I would not want to play SSM or Saginaw in the 1st rd either

Closed Thread