HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I agree about Stolarz,though with 4 goalies in the system,excluding Patterson,including 3 drafted this past yr,a 1st rder in Herbst plus 2 others,plus the Windsor kid Wheaton,and the fact Patterson and Stolarz are the same age makes for a real logjam going forward will be some unhappy camper,if Patterson were to go down,could get interesting,last yr with Houser had he gone down,going with Teichman might have been ugly,taking more of a chance might be tempting fate a bit much we shall see
As for Plymouth u are right they are scary upfront,but very questionable on the back end and in goal,and in my humble opinion that will be their undoing,like last yr did not address the defence at the deadline and paid the price,this year even more so despite the best 9 offensive group,defence and golatending ultimately wins unlike the reg season
My feeling if Windsor continues to get better and get the 7 or 8 hole for the playoffs nobody will want to play them in the 1st rd,although in fairness I would not want to play SSM or Saginaw in the 1st rd either
Personally I believe if you're depending on a backup goalie you're in deep trouble to begin with. I would rather explore options of improving the offense or defense before looking at backup goaltending. I still need to see more of this Windsor team before I am sold. They faced a few teams that don't score a lot, Oshawa can but were missing Jenner, Lessio and Laughton. We will see how Windsor plays this week because there still isn't any room for error. If Windsor goes 1-2 it hurts their playoff chances. I like the way Windsor played but they still don't match up well with teams like London and Plymouth. Windsor has a nice checking 3rd line but both London and Plymouth can put stress on that 3rd line by putting out top goal scorers. How would Clark-Verbeek-Giftopolous do if they were consistently matched up against scoring lines? Plymouth has Payne-Trocheck-Hartman together so Plymouth's 3rd line would consist any mix of Meurs-Heard-Rakell-Noesen-Wilson-Mistele, that type of matchup doesn't favor Windsor. London can put out a mix of Rupert-Rupert-Horvat-Anderson-Tierney-Welychka. This is where Windsor would get into trouble. I'm not even confident that the 2nd line of Vail-HoSang-Johnson(Marchese) can be a plus against other top teams. We will see when this team plays the teams in the west how they match up.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Personally I believe if you're depending on a backup goalie you're in deep trouble to begin with. I would rather explore options of improving the offense or defense before looking at backup goaltending. I still need to see more of this Windsor team before I am sold. They faced a few teams that don't score a lot, Oshawa can but were missing Jenner, Lessio and Laughton. We will see how Windsor plays this week because there still isn't any room for error. If Windsor goes 1-2 it hurts their playoff chances. I like the way Windsor played but they still don't match up well with teams like London and Plymouth. Windsor has a nice checking 3rd line but both London and Plymouth can put stress on that 3rd line by putting out top goal scorers. How would Clark-Verbeek-Giftopolous do if they were consistently matched up against scoring lines? Plymouth has Payne-Trocheck-Hartman together so Plymouth's 3rd line would consist any mix of Meurs-Heard-Rakell-Noesen-Wilson-Mistele, that type of matchup doesn't favor Windsor. London can put out a mix of Rupert-Rupert-Horvat-Anderson-Tierney-Welychka. This is where Windsor would get into trouble. I'm not even confident that the 2nd line of Vail-HoSang-Johnson(Marchese) can be a plus against other top teams. We will see when this team plays the teams in the west how they match up.
I get what u are saying re the goalie thing although I wonder if London is going for 1 and1A I duuno know,I woudl have definitely gone after a another scorer if I were them,their lineup to me is not a deep as last yrs overall especially in goal,a guy like Griffith or Domi or both go down they are in deep poop
As for Windsor-Plymouth comparison,they dont have a checking line,it appears they may lose Rackell,that will hurtm if it really happens,but mark my words its the defence and goaltending that will kill the Whales,I think the Spits man for man are better then the Whalers in those areas,no doubt Whales will score but I think their goaltending might be the worst in the conference,although their 16 year old is talented,19 other teams missed on him,even worse then Erie as their 17 year old Williams is outplaying the highly heralded Dansk,another guy everybody missed on
No doubt alot of work ahead
Btw u mentioned low scoring teams,that the Spits have played lately,u are right about Brampton,as for belleville we both know they could win it all as scoring may no longer be a problems because of their additions as for Oshawa yes true they were missing Lessio.Jenner and Laughton,although in fairness when they were in Windsor,only Lessio was missing,Koko for Windsor,and the Spits still won
I think in close games I like Windsor"s chances better then a week ago,the 4 new players I think will make a big differnce,time will tell

Old
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
spits2timechamps

As much as Trocheck improves Plymoth they are no where near the talent of LOndon. The last game we played them we were missing one of top dman (seiloff) and our hotest scoring player (Ho-Sang). We outshot them 38 to 25 and Pavelka I believe played one of hisworst games of the season. Before any of you mention what Plymoth was missing they play more of a team style game of hockey where everybody back checks and they play the grinding game. I think we will have no problem with them and you can mark my words on that. London on the other hand is a very skilled hockey team. I watched the soo vs london game and I have to say theyre transition game and their speed is just as quick as us what it will come down to is 1) goaltending 2) limiting mistakes 3) finishing our checks. We do that and I don't think there is any reason we shouldn't have a chance of winning. I think were in that elite, speed is very important in juniors.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Rychel 18th for NA skaters
DeKort dropped to 15th for NA goaltenders
Butcher 170th for NA skaters
Allen 180th for NA skaters

NCAA is probably the best choice for Butcher and Allen.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
youngblood10

The Whalers are a paper tiger come playoff time. The best thing that organization has is a small passionate fan base who don't magnify the short falls of the team like the teams with bigger fan bases do. No tv helps keeps them behind the shadows also with the casual fans around the league creating this mystic that they are always better than they are in reality. They make for the ideal dark horse or sleeper pick also because of these factors also.

They might have the Spitfires number but then "team x" comes in there the next night and blows them out.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
The Whalers are a paper tiger come playoff time. The best thing that organization has is a small passionate fan base who don't magnify the short falls of the team like the teams with bigger fan bases do. No tv helps keeps them behind the shadows also with the casual fans around the league creating this mystic that they are always better than they are in reality. They make for the ideal dark horse or sleeper pick also because of these factors also.

They might have the Spitfires number but then "team x" comes in there the next night and blows them out.
I would agree with a bit of that but their games are broadcast locally they are on Brighthouse and Comcast now. I think Windsor fans quite shortly will be clamoring for a consistent team that is always high in the standings considering what we have seen last year and now this year and what might be around the corner if Rychel sells the farm to try and win an OHL title or get to a Memorial Cup next year. From the 07/08 season to 09/10 Windsor played Plymouth well. Since then Plymouth has totally turned the tables and dominated the series, Windsor has 1 win in their last 10 trips to Plymouth. It isn't much of a rivalry anymore in fact it's pretty disappointing as a Windsor fan all we can point to is just a 3 year blip of having success against Plymouth.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Raisy

Quote:
I would agree with a bit of that but their games are broadcast locally they are on Brighthouse and Comcast now. I think Windsor fans quite shortly will be clamoring for a consistent team that is always high in the standings considering what we have seen last year and now this year and what might be around the corner if Rychel sells the farm to try and win an OHL title or get to a Memorial Cup next year. From the 07/08 season to 09/10 Windsor played Plymouth well. Since then Plymouth has totally turned the tables and dominated the series, Windsor has 1 win in their last 10 trips to Plymouth. It isn't much of a rivalry anymore in fact it's pretty disappointing as a Windsor fan all we can point to is just a 3 year blip of having success against Plymouth.
In an ideal world Windsor wins the Memorial Cup everyear, but we don't live in an ideal world, so I'll take Windsor's peaks and troughs over Plymouth's awesome run of being above average.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
OHLTG

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

I'll take two trips to the Memorial Cup, winning each, plus another trip to the West Final, and a few lower finishes, over constantly being ousted in the second or third round every year.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

I'll take two trips to the Memorial Cup, winning each, plus another trip to the West Final, and a few lower finishes, over constantly being ousted in the second or third round every year.
That's a disgusting attitude to have. You must have been a huge Jays fan after back to back World Series and for the next 18 years being irrelevant. This is what the Spits are on track for.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Raisy

Quote:
That's a disgusting attitude to have. You must have been a huge Jays fan after back to back World Series and for the next 18 years being irrelevant. This is what the Spits are on track for.
Or you could be a Plymouth fan and celebrate all their meaningless division titles, but hey whatever turns your crank.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Or you could be a Plymouth fan and celebrate all their meaningless division titles, but hey whatever turns your crank.
Well it's much harder to stay at the top consistently year to year than to win a couple championships and never be heard from again. I imagine you would change your mind when your season ends without winning any playoff series or playoff games.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
jah65

-sorry not worth the effort to respond.

Last edited by jah65: 01-15-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
hockeyboy4

will kerby miss thursday nights game?

Old
01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
will kerby miss thursday nights game?
Unless bad weather hits I would expect him to arrive in time for the game

Old
01-15-2013, 06:01 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You'd rather be middle-of-the-pack every year, but never good enough to win it all? Eh, fine by me. If you'll excuse me, I'll be over here looking at pictures from the Rimouski and Brandon championship parties

Quote:
You must have been a huge Jays fan after back to back World Series and for the next 18 years being irrelevant
You know me...the Jays fan BTW, I'd LOVE to be a Jays fan this year. They could make some significant noise.

Quote:
Well it's much harder to stay at the top consistently year to year than to win a couple championships and never be heard from again. I imagine you would change your mind when your season ends without winning any playoff series or playoff games.
We didn't win anything last year and my attitude hasn't changed. I'd imagine those three great years before last year didn't hurt, but what do I know?

Old
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Actually, I don't compare Windsor with Plymouth because they don't win anything of significance. I don't want the Knights to win the OHL title because that will tie them with the Spitfires in that department.
Windsor (the rebirth) had great early drafts where everything worked out. These resent drafts have turned out about as bad as they could. They hit in the middle and shazam you have your middle of the pack Whaler style team of second round knockouts.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Spitsfan67*

Congrats to Hallsy, Who will be splitting time as the 2nd Assistant with the Oilers with N.Shultz...Eberle named a full time Assistant and Horcoff still has the "C".

Old
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Why don't they take the easy way then and win a couple championships? That post makes no sense at all. They aren't even top consistently they play .500-.600 hockey.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Why don't they take the easy way then and win a couple championships? That post makes no sense at all. They aren't even top consistently they play .500-.600 hockey.
They play much better than .500 hockey in fact since Rychel-Boughner have taken over the lowest winning% Plymouth has had is .544. Every other year they have been over .570. They are going to win another division championship this year which will be 2 in a row and 3 in 7 years. If you're a top prospect Windsor doesn't have a lot to sell right now, the prospect well is seemingly drying up. There isn't much to sell in Windsor right now they haven't hung any type of banner for what will be 3 years now. The notion Windsor develops better prospects isn't necessarily true. Plymouth has developed players have 3 current 1st round NHL picks and maybe a 4th in Hartman.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:51 PM
spits2timechamps

Jays fan here and yes it was hard to watch SOME of their seasons but a true fan watches their team to the end hoping that this is their year EVERY year and now the wait could be over. Yes i watched every year no matter what just like I watch the spits during their dark times hoping that it was their year. If you are content to watch a team knowing every year that if they would have just made that one move that could push them over the top to win it all but didn't cause they wanted to be consistently competitve then all the power to you.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
Jays fan here and yes it was hard to watch SOME of their seasons but a true fan watches their team to the end hoping that this is their year EVERY year and now the wait could be over. Yes i watched every year no matter what just like I watch the spits during their dark times hoping that it was their year. If you are content to watch a team knowing every year that if they would have just made that one move that could push them over the top to win it all but didn't cause they wanted to be consistently competitve then all the power to you.
You obviously aren't a Leafs fan... being a fan of that team puts this theory to the test!

Old
01-15-2013, 09:46 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
They play much better than .500 hockey in fact since Rychel-Boughner have taken over the lowest winning% Plymouth has had is .544. Every other year they have been over .570. They are going to win another division championship this year which will be 2 in a row and 3 in 7 years. If you're a top prospect Windsor doesn't have a lot to sell right now, the prospect well is seemingly drying up. There isn't much to sell in Windsor right now they haven't hung any type of banner for what will be 3 years now. The notion Windsor develops better prospects isn't necessarily true. Plymouth has developed players have 3 current 1st round NHL picks and maybe a 4th in Hartman.
Every kid who enters the draft has Windsor as a desired destination, so that statement just isn't true.
Sure Plymouth produces players doesn't have anything to do with being a bridesmaid every spring.
The rest is just silly, division banners over rings and parades come on now.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:17 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Every kid who enters the draft has Windsor as a desired destination, so that statement just isn't true.
Sure Plymouth produces players doesn't have anything to do with being a bridesmaid every spring.
The rest is just silly, division banners over rings and parades come on now.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
Maybe they have to do what Otto suggested and not give in to players that hand pick a destination. Didn't work out well with Maletta and Bateman and probably the biggest reason why they didn't make strides. Maybe they shouldn't have given out a gold education package to a soft guy like Johnson. Maybe they have to start pounding the pavement and get back to recruiting and drafting the best players and not just the ones that want to pick Windsor.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
jughead42

What is so wrong with just watching a team, enjoying the successes and enduring the failures? Is Rayzor earning frequent crier miles or something I don't know about for every post he makes that drips with doom? I don't get why so much time and energy is spent finding fault. I'm guessing he was pretty depressed when 2012 came and went without the apocalypse happening. If you find fault with everything, obviously you're going to be right about some things because no franchise is perfect. It wouldn't kill everyone to relax a bit, live in the moment while it's here, and enjoy the rest of the season. We've added a lot of good players, while other teams are losing some good players to the NHL. Take the team for what it is, not for what it should be or what it was. We've got a good goalie and a good first line, teams have won games with a lot less. 5 points out of 6 available, with 2 games on the road. It doesn't always have to be about next season, and the grand plan for years beyond.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:34 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Maybe they shouldn't have given out a gold education package to a soft guy like Johnson. Maybe they have to start pounding the pavement and get back to recruiting and drafting the best players and not just the ones that want to pick Windsor.
Were you singing the same song when Johnson originally chose us over SSM? He was golden for us last year and I think NJ believed so, too.

Quote:
I don't get why so much time and energy is spent finding fault.
The $64-thousand question.

Quote:
It wouldn't kill everyone to relax a bit, live in the moment while it's here, and enjoy the rest of the season. We've added a lot of good players, while other teams are losing some good players to the NHL. Take the team for what it is, not for what it should be or what it was. We've got a good goalie and a good first line, teams have won games with a lot less. 5 points out of 6 available, with 2 games on the road. It doesn't always have to be about next season, and the grand plan for years beyond.
We can't have that!!

Closed Thread