HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 12:02 AM
jughead42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
We can't have that!!
It's too bad. Junior hockey fandom should be all about the games (and hating London) not the behind the scenes machinery. Right now it should be all about the players we have, and making the playoffs with them. There's so much to talk about, from the new players and how they're performing, to how our enemies above us are doing. We're in a playoff race, we've just been reinforced to a huge degree, and we're starting to win games again. More importantly, we now look like a good team. A good team that plays well going into the playoffs can cause a lot of trouble, I'm pretty excited about that. If we make it in, we are not the typical 8 seed by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody wants us round one. But with all that excitement, here we are getting dragged into a pointless discussion about what is probably going to go wrong for us from here. It's total schleprock.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:44 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
It's too bad. Junior hockey fandom should be all about the games (and hating London) not the behind the scenes machinery. Right now it should be all about the players we have, and making the playoffs with them. There's so much to talk about, from the new players and how they're performing, to how our enemies above us are doing. We're in a playoff race, we've just been reinforced to a huge degree, and we're starting to win games again. More importantly, we now look like a good team. A good team that plays well going into the playoffs can cause a lot of trouble, I'm pretty excited about that. If we make it in, we are not the typical 8 seed by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody wants us round one. But with all that excitement, here we are getting dragged into a pointless discussion about what is probably going to go wrong for us from here. It's total schleprock.
The behind the scenes machinery wasn't of much interest before the sanctions and the Spitfires being called out on the carpet. Now I think those things are more important and should be given a look. We don't have to go through this again but personally I still have a sour taste in my mouth after ownership all but lied to fans, this has to deal with denying everything and dropping the appeal.

I still don't buy this being a good hockey team especially after just 3 games, I already said they looked good but there is still a lot of work to do. Saying this is a good team is like saying it was a good team during the 4 game win streak then they lost 7. I am skepitcal of London being scared of facing Windsor in round 1 of the playoffs. An 8th seed is an 8th seed, 1 seeds are 40-2 in the last 42 games against 8 seeds so, this isn't like the NHL where the 1-8 seeds aren't close. Personally I need to see a lot more before I think they will make the playoffs. Windsor with brand new acquisitions beating Oshawa and Brampton or Saginaw without Trocheck beating Plymouth and London? If Windsor goes into London and gets a win I will be impressed because that shows me something. Don't get upset about the current conversation just look at the big picture 6 points behind with 2 in hand. Even after the 5 point weekend the Spits only gained 1 point and that was with a game in hand. If the Spits even have one week of going 1-2, 0-2 those are killers and nobody will be talking about being a threat in the playoffs the players will be packing their bags for an early offseason again.

Personally I can take a season for what it is but when an organization punts a season like the Spits did in 11-12 and point towards the next two years darn right I will look at these next two seasons critically. Remember they are the ones that pointed to this year and next year not the public. If the organization didn't talk so much maybe fans wouldn't be disappointed. There's an old saying that loose lips sink ships and this current Spitfires organization is a perfect example.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Tell me you caught my sarcasm.

Quote:
If the organization didn't talk so much maybe fans wouldn't be disappointed. There's an old saying that loose lips sink ships and this current Spitfires organization is a perfect example.
It's not like this is the last year the team is going to be in Windsor or something. Expectations were high and we're not where we want to be. No arguments there. To get cranky every day just because they're in this position, though, is pointless. It's the OHL and not every team is going to perform the way their fans want. Sit back, enjoy the hockey for what it is, and, let stuff happen. If we don't win it all this year, despite the expectations, **** happens. I'm pretty sure there will be other opportunities.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

It's not like this is the last year the team is going to be in Windsor or something. Expectations were high and we're not where we want to be. No arguments there. To get cranky every day just because they're in this position, though, is pointless. It's the OHL and not every team is going to perform the way their fans want. Sit back, enjoy the hockey for what it is, and, let stuff happen. If we don't win it all this year, despite the expectations, **** happens. I'm pretty sure there will be other opportunities.
Just of the opinion the sanctions have all but squashed the possibilities of a contender for the foreseeable future barring a handout from Branch and the Memorial Cup selection committee. Schmaltz, Allen, and Butcher haven't committed to Windsor and the Spits make their bid in a couple of months. Remember Spits were hot on the tail of Stolarz but he wasn't interested that should tell you the reality of the situation we are in right now. Nobody really wants to touch Windsor as a destination right now, tough to improve and be successful if you can't get good players in your program.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Maybe they have to do what Otto suggested and not give in to players that hand pick a destination. Didn't work out well with Maletta and Bateman and probably the biggest reason why they didn't make strides. Maybe they shouldn't have given out a gold education package to a soft guy like Johnson. Maybe they have to start pounding the pavement and get back to recruiting and drafting the best players and not just the ones that want to pick Windsor.
Rayzor, I don't disagree that the players from first round of the 2010 and 2011 drafts leave a lot to be desired, but I don't get how that is all attributed to the Spitfires (ie. Rychel). Ebert, Maletta, and Bateman were all concensus first round picks that every other GM in the league would've likely taken if picking in a similar spot a Windsor; Kerby, while maybe not concensus, was a first rounder, leaving Webermin as the only real reach. I also don't think that them picking their destination had anything to do with them failing to develop, evidence points to the contrary, Hall, Couture, Duchene, Domi, Harrington, Skinner, Seguin, etc. are all guys who to some extent picked their destinations and it did not affect performance. My personal view is that, it's not so much the drafting, but the draft year, the 2010 was in hindsight a weak draft, unfortunately that was the base for the Spits rebuilding. Following that he gets Maletta and Bateman, with Bateman, I don't think that talent or skill is the issue, but that he hasn't developed physically which is holding him back. With Maletta, who knows, maybe some of it was coaching, but often times it sure looked like effort was a problem and if that's the case then that should be on the player, his agent, his family, and his coach.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Just of the opinion the sanctions have all but squashed the possibilities of a contender for the foreseeable future barring a handout from Branch and the Memorial Cup selection committee. Schmaltz, Allen, and Butcher haven't committed to Windsor and the Spits make their bid in a couple of months. Remember Spits were hot on the tail of Stolarz but he wasn't interested that should tell you the reality of the situation we are in right now. Nobody really wants to touch Windsor as a destination right now, tough to improve and be successful if you can't get good players in your program.
First with Stolarz, given the choice of playing for the current top team in the OHL or a team in a fight for the playoffs, who wouldn't choose the top team, it's not that tough of a decision.
Second, with your thought that no one wants to come to Windsor, now this comment is just stupid, and really shows that you are grasping a straws with your arguments. Seiloff reported to Windsor, Ho-Sang reportedly would only report to Windsor. Not every flyer pick is going to report, you can't expect that, but you hope that they consider Windsor and every interview I have read indicate that Schmaltz, Allen, and Butcher are at least considering Windsor as an option.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Spits tried to get Stolarz last Feb could not sign him,nor did any other team,were hopeful of things happening after the NHL draft again nothing occurred, and he went on to university,the Knights tried before the season and he rebuffed them too,then got little ice time,and poof goes back to the Knights and a deal was struck
I dont think it was because of it being Windsor,but more situational that he went to the the Knights,time will tell if he made the right choice,he goes to a team with 4 other goalies plus Patterson,including the 1st rder currently out Herbst
3.91 in his 1st 2 appearances might be more like Jack Campbell then some thing,and London has a better defence Ryan Ellis not withstanding then any Windsor team he played on

Old
01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Rayzor, I don't disagree that the players from first round of the 2010 and 2011 drafts leave a lot to be desired, but I don't get how that is all attributed to the Spitfires (ie. Rychel). Ebert, Maletta, and Bateman were all concensus first round picks that every other GM in the league would've likely taken if picking in a similar spot a Windsor; Kerby, while maybe not concensus, was a first rounder, leaving Webermin as the only real reach. I also don't think that them picking their destination had anything to do with them failing to develop, evidence points to the contrary, Hall, Couture, Duchene, Domi, Harrington, Skinner, Seguin, etc. are all guys who to some extent picked their destinations and it did not affect performance. My personal view is that, it's not so much the drafting, but the draft year, the 2010 was in hindsight a weak draft, unfortunately that was the base for the Spits rebuilding. Following that he gets Maletta and Bateman, with Bateman, I don't think that talent or skill is the issue, but that he hasn't developed physically which is holding him back. With Maletta, who knows, maybe some of it was coaching, but often times it sure looked like effort was a problem and if that's the case then that should be on the player, his agent, his family, and his coach.
I can agree with some of that I still believe with the Rychel draft a lot of grief could have been avoided if they just drafted him in round 1. The 2011 draft will continue to haunt Windsor for the next couple years. I think we all would rather have Moutrey or Nastasiuk(top prospect game) over Maletta. A couple guys taken right after DeKort were Dickinson(top prospect game), Mistele probably top prospect game next year. I am sure we would have preferred Bigras(top prospect game) over Hunter Smith. We have gone through that it's not an exact science but even with taking 1 of those top players the fate of the Spits is a lot different. This is not a criticism of DeKort I actually like him and think he could be a good goalie I am just not sure it's in Windsor. With the hole the Spits have dug themselves I doubt you see DeKort very much the rest of the year and that's not good for development, he's already sliding in the goaltender rankings down to 15th in NA which is in the not drafted territory. I just have a problem seeing this team turning the corner next year when your 2011 draft should be bearing fruit and that won't be happening. The 2012 the jury is still out on and no 1st rounder in 2013. This time last year we were all hoping for Ho-Sang, well this year Ho-Sang won't be falling into the laps of Windsor.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Spits tried to get Stolarz last Feb could not sign him,nor did any other team,were hopeful of things happening after the NHL draft again nothing occurred, and he went on to university,the Knights tried before the season and he rebuffed them too,then got little ice time,and poof goes back to the Knights and a deal was struck
I dont think it was because of it being Windsor,but more situational that he went to the the Knights,time will tell if he made the right choice,he goes to a team with 4 other goalies plus Patterson,including the 1st rder currently out Herbst
3.91 in his 1st 2 appearances might be more like Jack Campbell then some thing,and London has a better defence Ryan Ellis not withstanding then any Windsor team he played on
One thing I think really helps London is Bill Dark. He helped develop Engelage, he developed Houser, he's helping Patterson develop and depending what you think of Baille but he was only with London for a few months. I have no doubt Stolarz was well aware of that. I agree the defense is much better but goalies are really developing under Bill Dark. I would offer him whatever he wanted to come back to Windsor but I know that won't happen.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Nobody really wants to touch Windsor as a destination right now, tough to improve and be successful if you can't get good players in your program.
You're making a pretty broad assumption because of a couple of players.

Quote:
Just of the opinion the sanctions have all but squashed the possibilities of a contender for the foreseeable future barring a handout from Branch and the Memorial Cup selection committee.
Not every talented player comes from the 1st or even 2nd round.

Quote:
I am sure we would have preferred Bigras(top prospect game) over Hunter Smith.
This I agree with, but I understand the reasoning for drafting Smith; big local kid with potential.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Raisy

Quote:
I can agree with some of that I still believe with the Rychel draft a lot of grief could have been avoided if they just drafted him in round 1. The 2011 draft will continue to haunt Windsor for the next couple years. I think we all would rather have Moutrey or Nastasiuk(top prospect game) over Maletta. A couple guys taken right after DeKort were Dickinson(top prospect game), Mistele probably top prospect game next year. I am sure we would have preferred Bigras(top prospect game) over Hunter Smith. We have gone through that it's not an exact science but even with taking 1 of those top players the fate of the Spits is a lot different. This is not a criticism of DeKort I actually like him and think he could be a good goalie I am just not sure it's in Windsor. With the hole the Spits have dug themselves I doubt you see DeKort very much the rest of the year and that's not good for development, he's already sliding in the goaltender rankings down to 15th in NA which is in the not drafted territory. I just have a problem seeing this team turning the corner next year when your 2011 draft should be bearing fruit and that won't be happening. The 2012 the jury is still out on and no 1st rounder in 2013. This time last year we were all hoping for Ho-Sang, well this year Ho-Sang won't be falling into the laps of Windsor.
I agree, I would prefer Moutrey or Nastasiuk to Maletta now, but again hindsight is 20/20, at the time Maletta was the better pick. Having said that, knowing how all the players have progressed, my guess is that Plymouth, Ottawa, St. Mike's would like redos on their 1st round picks too.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I am in the opposite corner in terms of turning a corner re next year,I am quite pleased with the 1st 4 players of the 2012 draft,Hosang,sanvido,Verbeek,Brown,all have made nice and continuing progress this season,Brown in Lasalle,and from what I understand he played very well in the game at Saginaw recently while alot of folks were out of the lineup during the world jrs
The fact that 8 defencemen return next yr excluding o/a possibles,but including Brown,nor including Mcnaughton who wont be back would have made 9 with OHL experience,2 returning goalies plus Kuchmey,though I prefer a north american O/a goalie rather then Pavelka,a number of forwards including Hosang,Rychel,Marchese,Vail,Johnson,Verbeek.Giftop oulous,Studnicka,Bilcke,Graham,u factor possibly Allen,Schmaltz,Dodero,2 Euros-1st rders,an O/A maybe 2 though i doubt it,plus the spits have 14 picks and any possible free agents or trades
With the exception of the 1st rd Rychel has restocked sufficiently,as he has picks now in the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,etc,the only rd he does not have a selection is the 8th,he has 2 in the 13th
For 2014 he has the 1st rd back,plus he has 2 2nd rd picks at his disposal,the rest i have not bothered
As most should see 14 picks,plus 2 1st rd euro selections for 2013 should be enough to do something if all the homework is done
They have gold edc packs to spare,2 I believe which can utilized to sign Allen and Schmaltz,I am not too concerned about Butcher,would rather go after the younger bigger Baughman who is not committed to the USA program at this time,Dodero because of his brother relationship should be enticed to play in the O,
As for Dekort I feel he will be drafted after all Stolarz got drafted out of the NAHL,and teams will draft on size,potential,demeanor etc
While i would like him to play more,a guy like Patterson from London will get drafted enough though he is a 94 born,not sure age really matters
While i am sure every team would like do overs in the draft,not going to cry over spilled milk,the fact is Maletta was rated higher then every player u mentioned,heck Sarnia thought about picking at 4,I can tell u with certainty that Guleph,Erie,and Plymouth were all interested in picking him with their pick but all were persuaded to do otherwise
As for Bateman,he was rated a 1st rder by all accounts,I am not going to fault them for trying to hasten a process by getting 2 1st rders in a rebuild year
It is no secret that prior to the trade deadline that i have soured on Bateman,not i was/am the only one,but since the trade deadline my feelings about Bateman are changing a bit,his play while a small sample the past 3 games,2 with Koekkoek as his partner has been his most steady of the season,if he continues in my view an upward trend in play,this might i stress might be the best trade the Spits never made at the deadline
Sometimes u combine the best moves made and the best ones not made to make A nice omelette I dont know,I sure hope so for everybody sake
Finally we all agree that the Hunter Smith pick was a bust,cant win them all is what I say here,but they should have listened to the other half of the scouts who said dont pick him here in the 2nd ,wait to the 4th or 5th
I think its as gloomy as some paint it out to be
If Nick Schmaltz and /or Evan Allen signs could be interesting,especially Schmaltz,he would have gone top 3 or 4 had he committed to the ohl,I am sure he is seeing how his brother is not developing much this year at U of North Dakota and do whats right for his career

Old
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
hockeylegend11

3rd last line should read I dont think its as gloomy as some paint it out to be

Old
01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
hockeylegend11

My projected lineup for next yr would be

Rychel-HoSang-Marchese
Schmaltz-Vail-Johnson
Giftopoulous-Allen-Verbeek
Studnicka-Euro-Euro

others-Dodero-Bilcke-Graham
Leslie-Cobham-Hughes

Defence
Seiloff-Ebert
Koekkoek-Bateman
Murphy-Sanvido

rest- Brown-Bowen
Baughman-Morrisson
Kotsovos-Killins

Goalies
PaVelka or O/A-North American
Dekort

sp-Kuchmey

I did not include 2 possible O/a S up front as well as the 14 picks in this year draft
and any players of course thru free agency and or trade
Some other players in the organization were not mentioned
As well I kept out players such as Barber,Butcher, and Calderone who I dont think Windsor has a chance of signing

Old
01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
RayzorIsDull

I understand what you're saying Legend I was hopeful for the D going into last year though and they had 5 returnees in Robertson-Duininck-Posa-Webermin-Ebert and they tore up that plan quickly. I think this group currently is more talented but we will see how they play down the stretch. I like Sanvido but I am still not that high on him, needs to improve his skating a lot. I can't say much on Brown because all of us have seen very little from him in the OHL. I am okay with Sieloff, Koekkoek and Ebert. I still think Murphy has a lot of work to do, still not reliable in his own zone.

In regards to the forwards I am not that high on this group. The bulk of the ice time is being taken up by Khokhlachev and Aleardi who won't be back next year. We have had our debates about Bilcke and his usefulness he shouldn't be guaranteed a spot, Studnicka really hasn't developed. Marchese hasn't really taken the next step. Johnson has gotten better as of late if he finishes strong that's a good sign but of course he's been the poster boy for inconsistency. I think the forwards next year all come down to counting on the unknown whether you can have success in the import draft and lure players to come here because currently the group returning isn't good enough in my mind. I don't mind Giftopolous but I need to see more before wanting him back as an OA. He had 15 goals with Ottawa I expect him to chip in offensively here if he can't do that then you have to ask yourself if keeping Giftopolous on the 3rd or 4th line is worth keeping him as an OA personally I think the answer is no and we have seen that up close with Emerson Clark.

Schmaltz hasn't had a good year at ND but he played good enough in the USHL to be a 1st round pick. The younger Schmaltz performing very well in his first year of the USHL is probably a lock to be a 1st rounder regardless. I guess the question becomes how the Spits sell him on the OHL because the USHL is getting much better talent wise. If he's going to be a 1st rounder playing in the USHL there probably isn't a big difference coming to the OHL.

If Windsor doesn't make the playoffs it wouldn't surprise me if massive changes are made because you really can't spin the team is on the right track.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor
I agree on Murphy he needs to improve defensively,I do think Brown and Sanvido will develop,i like them both,Brown can skate,Sanvido does need work in that area no doubt but overall he has improved in most areas,considering I had him pencilled in Chatham after the rookie camp and so did the Spits by the way,my guess he will headed to power skating school in the summer,upfront we agree on Bilcke he will be hard pressed to make squad next yr,I would have Bowen instead,Studnicka while offensively challenged plays an effective checking game with an appropiate amount of grit,he is only 17 but womnt be counted on to score
As for Johnson u are right he is inconsistent,has the skills to play,Jersey drafted him for a reason,Re Marchese get what u are saying another hot and cold guy,plays well with Rychel,great on shootouts
Giftopoulous love his size and grit if he scores like he did in Ottawa he will be a perfect o/a time will tell
As I wrote 2 Euros, 1 more O/a hopefully makes a differnce
You toss in Schmaltz,Allen and Dodero and upfront does not look bad at all
Not even including trades,the draft and free agent signings
As for making the playoffs would be disappointed if spits dont,along as they healthy I think things will be fine,the bottom 4 teams are fairly close in talent and depth,though at the end I do think Windsor and the SSm are better then Erie and Saginaw,in fact they are both better then Sarnia with Murphy and Galchenyuk out of their lineup,too much ground for Windsor catch them but not the Sault

Old
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
OHLTG

Twitter reporting that Chris Marchese is questionable for tomorrow's game due to "concussion-like symptoms."

Two things immediately come to mind:

1. When did he get hurt?

2. Maybe he could use the time off. His game, since the deadline, has lacked.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Twitter reporting that Chris Marchese is questionable for tomorrow's game due to "concussion-like symptoms."

Two things immediately come to mind:

1. When did he get hurt?

2. Maybe he could use the time off. His game, since the deadline, has lacked.
He was hurt in the 1st period at Oshawa collided with his own man sometime in the 1st

period and did not return

He did not practice yesterday,as well as i assume today as well

Koekkoek did not practice yesterday either dont know about today,understood

whatever is wrong is minor

Graehame Brown practiced yesterday as well

Old
01-16-2013, 06:56 PM
massey

Spitfire new enforcer

Rychel and Hartman in the first fight of the prospect game.Rychel tired of Hartman throwing his weight around.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Monty81

Spitfires forward Kerby Rychel drops gloves with Plymouth's Ryan Hartman during Prospects Game.

http://www.windsoressexsports.com/20...rospects-game/

Old
01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Spitzman

Great showing by Kirby tonight. Put Hartman in his place with the tilt, and left it all out on the ice. Here's hoping for a strong end to the season for him.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzman View Post
Great showing by Kirby tonight. Put Hartman in his place with the tilt, and left it all out on the ice. Here's hoping for a strong end to the season for him.
What game were you watching?

I was there...and outside of his tilt with Hartman and an attempted elbow to the head of a player (luckily he missed), Rychel was invisible.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
What game were you watching?

I was there...and outside of his tilt with Hartman and an attempted elbow to the head of a player (luckily he missed), Rychel was invisible.
Saving it up for Mississauga tomorrow.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Spitzman

I thought he showed well, Libbs. Strong on the puck down deep, physical, got off 3 or 4 shots that hit the net (hitting the net seemed to be at a premium tonight),showed some toughness and character stepping to the plate with Hartman trying to intimidate. I thought he made plays almost every shift. He was much more impactfull on the game than MacKinnon or Drouin, IMHO.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzman View Post
I thought he showed well, Libbs. Strong on the puck down deep, physical, got off 3 or 4 shots that hit the net (hitting the net seemed to be at a premium tonight),showed some toughness and character stepping to the plate with Hartman trying to intimidate. I thought he made plays almost every shift. He was much more impactfull on the game than MacKinnon or Drouin, IMHO.
Now you just talkin' craaaazy!

Kerby floated around and picked his spots like he always does. He only had 2 SOG and right into the goalie.

While Drouin and MacKinnon didn't get in on the score sheet (no one on Team Cherry did), they were far and away more dangerous every time they were on the ice than Kerby was.

Closed Thread