HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 10:36 PM
jah65

vCash: 500
view on tv must have been different Rychel played well.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnintecumseh View Post
view on tv must have been different Rychel played well.
Okay I have to agree with Libbs on this one. Rychel looked so out of place in this game I thought there could have been a third team included. All of his shots were from the perimeter with zero chance of scoring. He made no attempt to go to the net or try to find an open area to shoot. Its funny that I'm an Avs fan cause actually the way he was playing tonight i thought it was WR playing lol. Hey maybe he'll be selected in the 2nd round and they'll scoop him up

Old
01-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
Okay I have to agree with Libbs on this one. Rychel looked so out of place in this game I thought there could have been a third team included. All of his shots were from the perimeter with zero chance of scoring. He made no attempt to go to the net or try to find an open area to shoot. Its funny that I'm an Avs fan cause actually the way he was playing tonight i thought it was WR playing lol. Hey maybe he'll be selected in the 2nd round and they'll scoop him up
Now I wouldn't go that far...

He definitely didn't look out of place. He did drive the net once for a tip but put it over the net.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:09 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Now I wouldn't go that far...

He definitely didn't look out of place. He did drive the net once for a tip but put it over the net.
If he did have that 1 tip (ill take your word for it) its not good enough. He is easily 2-3 steps behind these guys in regards to speed. I saw a play where he passed the puck ahead and it was 2 on 2 and subban zoomed right past him and he just glided the rest of the way lol. The kid has a fantastic shot I won't take anything from him on that but for petes sake just go to the slot and watch the danglers and skilled players handle the puck and then pass it to you and take your shot. I don't know how many times I saw him following behind the puck carrier in the offensive zone like a lost puppy.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
SpItFiReZ

Storme back to NIA hurts Windsor's import selection.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Sp1tfan

Why can't some people just get off Kerbys back, the kid is the teams leading scorer again this year, led the team last year. Was selected to play in the Top Prospects game by Central Scouting, not his Dad. Say what you want about playing with Koko, he was leading them before Koko came back and Koko is making this whole team better.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1tfan View Post
Why can't some people just get off Kerbys back, the kid is the teams leading scorer again this year, led the team last year. Was selected to play in the Top Prospects game by Central Scouting, not his Dad. Say what you want about playing with Koko, he was leading them before Koko came back and Koko is making this whole team better.
I don't see what the problem is. People have two different views of how he performed in the prospects game. I thought he was ok, he didn't really stand out and that's fine. Take his performance for what it is he's ranked 18th in NA which is borderline 1st round pick. The only criticism I have of Kerby is he can be lazy and he doesn't make guys around him better.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Ottomatic

Tampa Bay is flying Koekkoek out to Florida to have team doctors look at his shoulder - Dat's not good!!

Old
01-17-2013, 08:38 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I think we all would rather have Moutrey or Nastasiuk(top prospect game) over Maletta. A couple guys taken right after DeKort were Dickinson(top prospect game), Mistele probably top prospect game next year. I am sure we would have preferred Bigras(top prospect game) over Hunter Smith.
I wouldn't feel so bad that Windsor passed on these guys. They were Barrie Jr. Colts playing right under Hawerchuk's nose and he managed to pass on them too. It was fun watching that 10-11 MM Colts team play...

Old
01-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Spitsfan67*

The game Wasn't played great the only reason IMO that they got of there with the two points was Pavelka I mean wow he's playing stellar as of late. No one knew where the net was this evening I mean they could have easily had 35+ Shots but just repeatedly kept missing, they cannot do that tommorow versus London or they will get smoked...the Knights will come in fresh and hungry to ge off there short skid against a bitter rival.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:26 PM
OHLTG

Pros:

- Pavelka stood on his head.
- A much more disciplined game.
- A quick game (which isn't always bad).
- Aleardi-Rychel-Koko were flying again.
- Johnson, Vail, and Ho-Sang re-appeared.

Cons:

- can't hit the net to save our lives
- couldn't buy a goal

Not a bad game, but if they don't start hitting the net, it's going to cost them. The offence and creativity are there. Hitting the 4x6 wasn't and that's gotta change. The only reason they won tonight was Pavelka standing on his head.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Agree Pavelka was the best player especially the 1st 2 periods,third period Spits put a blanket on the Steelheads allowed only 2 shots on goal the 1st 17 and half minutes in that final frame,Missy snuck one thru to make it close,solid defensive effort
I agree with those who wrote that Spits shooting was terrible especially the 3rd,got very tired of hearing nothing but glass
Koko"s line was dangerous all night,Kirby missed 2 gimmes,probably suffered from jet lag
Nice to see Studnicka score his 1st OHL goal,he deserved his 2nd star nod
Spits dressed 2 players under the limit,with Marchese,Koekkoek and Bilcke out
Hopefully Tampa Bay clears KoekKoek to play,doctor that he saw in Detriot did not seem concerned,KoekKoek fired pucks this am with no problems,it would be a shame if Tbay shuts him down for the year,Spits can ill afford to lose their best d-man for the season
With the victory Spits now trail Saginaw by 4 pts with 1 game in hand and 2 games remaining with each other,one game at eachs barn
Spits still unbeaten in regulation since the trade deadline going 3-0-0-1
As well they have scored 11 goals in 4 games but more importantly have allowed only 5 goals in that stretch,a vast improvement from when they were in the throes of their 7 game losing streak when the goals against was over 6 per game
Spits have their work cutout for them tomorrow at London,as the Knights will be in a surly mood now that they have dropped the last 2 games

Old
01-17-2013, 11:03 PM
OHLTG

I noticed Kerby looked frustrated with his lack of energy late in the game. I figured it was jet-lag. When did he get into town?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:29 PM
RayzorIsDull

I tend to agree with you Legend. They have a lot of jump from the first line but they aren't capitalizing on their chances. People will say I am negative and that's fine but I don't think this is something that will suddenly solve itself over the next 20+ games. Aleardi will probably pot a few shortly but Marchese and Johnson aren't the most dependable, he hasn't been bad this year but privately I bet the organization is disappointed that Ho-Sang only has 7 goals especially considering the ice time and linemates he has. This is the way it has to be the rest of the year if games are tight they will have a shot but this also means no margin for error and teams will always be in the game when playing Windsor.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 PM
OHLTG

Ho-Sang is averaging almost a point-per-game. I'm not that concerned about him. It's clear he has the moves and the ability; just needs to get consistent and build his game.

As for the rest of the team - While certain guys need to up their game, the team has a very new vibe and energy about them. It's been clear for a week now that they're going to make noise in the second half. The only issue tonight was missing the net, but that happens on occasion. Something tells me this story is far from over. This isn't the first-half Spitfires.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I noticed Kerby looked frustrated with his lack of energy late in the game. I figured it was jet-lag. When did he get into town?
Jet lag? It's a 1 hour time difference!

He more than likely got in early Thursday morning.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:07 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Jet lag? It's a 1 hour time difference!

He more than likely got in early Thursday morning.
Actually he arrived late pm,from what i was told

Old
01-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Hawks3

We must of had 10 shots or more in the 3rd that were wide of the net. Great effort. Now tonight I want my late Christmas present. Go Spits Go

Old
01-18-2013, 06:14 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
We must of had 10 shots or more in the 3rd that were wide of the net. Great effort. Now tonight I want my late Christmas present. Go Spits Go
I agree with that about the wide shots in the third,i was going deaf because of the sound of the glass instead of the back of net,they played a perfect third period save for the last 2 and 1/2 minutes
Definitely should be tested tonite at London,cant blow any scoring opps like last nite at least 5 or 6 of them,the Knights will make u pay

Old
01-18-2013, 06:33 AM
hockeylegend11

[QUOTE=OHLTG;57772569]Ho-Sang is averaging almost a point-per-game. I'm not that concerned about him. It's clear he has the moves and the ability; just needs to get consistent and build his game.

As for the rest of the team - While certain guys need to up their game, the team has a very new vibe and energy about them. It's been clear for a week now that they're going to make noise in the second half. The only issue tonight was missing the net, but that happens on occasion. Something tells me this story is far from over. This isn't the first-half Spitfires.[/QUOte

I am not concerned about HoSang either though i do think he should shoot more,instead of stick handling it into the net
I would agree they are not the same 7 game losing streak team we saw before and after Christmas
I do think it is imperative Spits get Koekkoek back he is critical for any ultimate success this team will enjoy
If he returns I do think Windsor could cause some noise,if not things will get challenging to say the least
I will say though that guys like Ebert and Bateman have upped their game since Koekkoek has been out

Old
01-18-2013, 06:43 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I tend to agree with you Legend. They have a lot of jump from the first line but they aren't capitalizing on their chances. People will say I am negative and that's fine but I don't think this is something that will suddenly solve itself over the next 20+ games. Aleardi will probably pot a few shortly but Marchese and Johnson aren't the most dependable, he hasn't been bad this year but privately I bet the organization is disappointed that Ho-Sang only has 7 goals especially considering the ice time and linemates he has. This is the way it has to be the rest of the year if games are tight they will have a shot but this also means no margin for error and teams will always be in the game when playing Windsor.
Agree about Marchese he really is hot and cold,and now with him out chance for others to step up
As for Johnson seems to have found his game,as he has 9 goals in his last 16 games,after going with 3 in his 1st 27,i do think playing with Vail and HoSang,plus some on the pp lately his numbers will be better then he had at the start of year,when he was terrible,sort of reminds me of last yr,as he was a much better 2nd half player
Most important thing to me is the health of Koekkoek,if he is judged good to go,Windsor can be competetive,if not Spits will be challenged
Of course it goes without saying Pavelka mmust continue his fine play like he has the past 4 games

Old
01-18-2013, 07:06 AM
nelli27

I noticed that Aleardi was dropped to the second line and Ho-Sang moved up to the top line. I think it was only for a handful of shifts before the top line was reunited. Is this something coaching staff has done before? Experimenting with line combos?

Old
01-18-2013, 07:46 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
I noticed that Aleardi was dropped to the second line and Ho-Sang moved up to the top line. I think it was only for a handful of shifts before the top line was reunited. Is this something coaching staff has done before? Experimenting with line combos?
Part of that was experimentation,other part being Aleardi kills penalties and plays on the pp,plus the fact the Spits only dressed 10 forwards last nite

Old
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Ho-Sang is averaging almost a point-per-game. I'm not that concerned about him. It's clear he has the moves and the ability; just needs to get consistent and build his game.

As for the rest of the team - While certain guys need to up their game, the team has a very new vibe and energy about them. It's been clear for a week now that they're going to make noise in the second half. The only issue tonight was missing the net, but that happens on occasion. Something tells me this story is far from over. This isn't the first-half Spitfires.
Since you like to be mr technical an called me out on it, it's time I did the same. Ho-Sang is not "almost" averaging a ppg he has 29 points in 38 games and that's good for .76 ppg. It's closer to .75 than 1.00

It really isn't that clear that they are going to make noise in the 2nd half, they faced 4 teams from the east and gained some ground. The biggest test will be the 8 games left with Plymouth and London. The story isn't all that difference they have kept winning the close games. If they go out and lose to London and Sarnia this recent 3 wins in 4 was just a blip on the radar.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Since you like to be mr technical an called me out on it, it's time I did the same. Ho-Sang is not "almost" averaging a ppg he has 29 points in 38 games and that's good for .76 ppg. It's closer to .75 than 1.00

It really isn't that clear that they are going to make noise in the 2nd half, they faced 4 teams from the east and gained some ground. The biggest test will be the 8 games left with Plymouth and London. The story isn't all that difference they have kept winning the close games. If they go out and lose to London and Sarnia this recent 3 wins in 4 was just a blip on the radar.
While i would like to see more goals from Hosang,other then macdavid who leads all rookies with pts by a decent margin,Hosangs 29 pts is 1 less then Salituro and DelColle,while the big body American forward Blake Clarke for Brampton has 36 pts,Hosang is the 4th highest scoring 16 year old,has played the fewest games of the other 3,is on a low scoring team,though the same can be said about Clarke and Salituro,though in Clarke"s case he is physically mature,and Salituro was rated one of the best snipers in the draft
I would not describe HoSang"s inaugural season disappointing but more so promising with things to learn about team work and gaining strength,also learning to play in 3 zones not 1 or 2
Still think he is the best player drafted by Windsor since Taylor Hall,and the best is yet to come
As for Windsor"s most recent success I do think there has been a change in attitude/approach combined with a higher skill level,more attention to detail,much better goaltending,the only thing I am concerned with is the Koekkoek injury,if it is serious things could get unravelled,if he is ok going forward,hopefully we will know today,as he had to be at the airport for 4.30 am this morning for his flight to TBay,regardlless what happens tonite at London should make for an interesting finish

Closed Thread