HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Tampa Bay wants their own doctors to check him out and they want to make sure he's fine, or at least can't do any more damage to it if he played, and isn't being forced to play injured. I wonder if this is why his price was lower - that he was known to be damaged goods.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Spitsfan67*

Ho-Sang has been playing great all year but one thing he does have to do better is he has to be more selfish, i mean he passes way to much...yestaurday he way right infront of the net with an easy shot on net and he decides to pass it to Kerby off to the side, why? pick a spot and let er rip instead of trying to pass it off... thats the one thing he needs to learn when the right time is to pass and when to shoot the puck...But other then that hes been great, The guy is magic with the puck and he does have great vision and for a 16 year old hes went above and beyond so far and with a more lethal offence this second half i expect him to average about a point per game.

I really think tonights game has the potential to be a high scoring affair(if the spits hit the freakin net), i think that the Knights goalies have been shaky the past three games and hopefully that dosent change, If the spits have a chance to win Pav HAS to stand on his head or they will lose and Khokhlachev-Rychel-Aleardi have to play really good and get atleast 2 or 3 goals, they have to stay out of the box and have to do good on the man advantage if they do all those things i really think they can sneak out of the Budwiser Garden with the two points.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
It really isn't that clear that they are going to make noise in the 2nd half, they faced 4 teams from the east and gained some ground. The biggest test will be the 8 games left with Plymouth and London. The story isn't all that difference they have kept winning the close games. If they go out and lose to London and Sarnia this recent 3 wins in 4 was just a blip on the radar.
While there's no question they've got some work ahead of them, beating Oshawa, Brampton, and Mississauga is nothing to sneeze at. Taking Blv to a shoot-out, too, is impressive. I'm also not going to go "meh, same old same old" if they lose to London. Should they lose, it'll be HOW they lose. I'll take a 4-3 loss if they work their tails off and just fall short. Unless it's winning or "book the golf times, boys"?

Old
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Khokhlachev-Rychel-Aleardi have to play really good and get atleast 2 or 3 goals, they have to stay out of the box and have to do good on the man advantage if they do all those things i really think they can sneak out of the Budwiser Garden with the two points.
Thats a good line for sure and theyll more than likely see a ton of Bo n the Rups along with Harrington and whoever slots in there with him (still working out D pairings with the 2 adds) That matchup should go a long way in deciding if the Spits can grab 2 pts in London. If they can score a few its game on for sure. If not theyll be in tough.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Thats a good line for sure and theyll more than likely see a ton of Bo n the Rups along with Harrington and whoever slots in there with him (still working out D pairings with the 2 adds) That matchup should go a long way in deciding if the Spits can grab 2 pts in London. If they can score a few its game on for sure. If not theyll be in tough.
We're getting spanked tonight. I mean Hunter and Co let Soo and Saginaw beat them last week - so then need to beat us to complete their diabolical plan to keep us out of the playoffs. You see London wants to host the Mem Cup and their main competition is still Windsor, but if Windsor doesn't make the play-offs our bid is dead. Soo and Saginaw of course being the only two teams we could reasonably catch for the last play-off spot.

That and we are playing with 10 forwards - two top lines and a fourth line, playing last night.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
aresknights

I'm also expecting a Knights W, and that short bench definitely hurts ESP playin last night.

Not sure bout the conspiracy thou
Didn't the knights lose to the Spits right before the big W streak? Now why would they go and do that? The Hunters will let their bid stand on its own and they are in tough having recently hosted. Not sure they have to add to the Spits uphill battle.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
etr102

hahaha wow .. Ho-Sang just made the Knights look absolutely silly on that goal.

Good start for tonights game!

Old
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
OHLTG

Aleardi with a nice move, plus Bateman with a nice pinch...3-1 Windsor late first.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM
KyGuy9

Wow, the Spits really came to play today. 4-1 Spits, goals by Bateman (is he improving or what?) and a dangle goal that absolutely embaressed the Knights, and first goals as a Spit by Giftopolous and Aleardi. 2 assists Kerby, Koko has one, Trev Murphy also has one, Benny and Aleardi has 1 each. In other games, Saginaw winning as of now over Soo 4-1.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Spitsfan67*

These London announcers are so biased it's stupid...I mean every Knights call they act as if they don't see it or it wasn't a call or a spits dive but when the spits take a penalty to them it's clear cut and penalty every day of the week and on the Harrington hit on koko and Sieloff comes in and gives him a shove, the announcer says "that's he kind of stuff the league is trying to eliminate" like what an idiot..Harrington was standing over Koko and Pat came in and shoved him to get him away from our star he didn't come in and give a crosscheck to the head...it's like if Sieloff lays out Domi clean, Don't you think someone would come in there? there both completely one sided...

Last edited by Spitsfan67*: 01-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
jah65

turn off audio listen to Miller on AM800

Old
01-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnintecumseh View Post
turn off audio listen to Miller on AM800
Lol I did that after the second...most games I end up tuned in to AM800.Theres a lot of biased Broadcast crews in this league(London and OwenSound are 2).

Old
01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Section103

And the "blip" continues. Great effort tonight.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:57 PM
OHLTG

What a brutal effort. Seriously, too many two-on-ones, making Pavelka stand on his head again, screwing up a 5-min pow....

Ah hell, I can't keep a straight face...

I KNEW this team could beat London. They're coming together well and this game proves it.

It's only one game, though. They'll probably lose the rest

Old
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
jah65

where is that guy?

Old
01-18-2013, 09:43 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
We're getting spanked tonight. I mean Hunter and Co let Soo and Saginaw beat them last week - so then need to beat us to complete their diabolical plan to keep us out of the playoffs. You see London wants to host the Mem Cup and their main competition is still Windsor, but if Windsor doesn't make the play-offs our bid is dead. Soo and Saginaw of course being the only two teams we could reasonably catch for the last play-off spot.

That and we are playing with 10 forwards - two top lines and a fourth line, playing last night.
as you were saying....

Old
01-18-2013, 10:20 PM
hockeylegend11

Great effort by what appears to be a team on the rise,undefeated in reg since the trade deadline,going 4-0-0-1 since and only allowing 7 goals in that stretch
Beauty goal by HoSang,great 1st goal by Giftopoulous showed nice hands,excellent pk,have not allowed a pp goal since the deadline
Adam Bateman played probably his best game as a Spit,his play has really elevated,looked great with Koekkoek,and since Koeokoek went down is helping considerably to make of the loss of the big man
The 10 man forward group played very well against an always dangerous London team
Nice to see the spits chase Patterson from the cage for the 2nd time in 3 starts,though Stolarz played very well for the Knights
Spits now 2-2 against the Knights this season,with the last 2 games to be played against
them in Windsor
Spits still trail Saggy by 4 with a game in hand,as they won their 6th in a row,knocking off the Sault,they trail the Sault by 6 with a game in hand,looks like it is shaping up to be a 3 way battle for 7th and 8th
Keep up the good work boys,1 game at a time

Old
01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
OHLTG

I have to admit, my favourite part of the game was listening to Doyle say "(player) got fingered" every time someone got a penalty Did nobody say anything to him??

Old
01-18-2013, 11:24 PM
jughead42

This is what I'm talking about! After those deadline deals we are very clearly a different team. Games now have meaning, the air is sweeter, and good old schleprock has a little less ammunition to bring us all down with. Seriously, I'm dying to see how he spins this one. My money is on London obviously being in a funk and not playing their best, and I'll also put a little coin on the Knights suffering from mono and the flu at the same time or something like that. Clearly we can't beat the future cup winners in their barn unless Koko lights it up.

Can we start to accept that Pavelka is a pretty good goalie yet? His record with a functioning team in front of him is pretty good I would say. Even with some horrible games earlier in the year when we were at our worst, he's creeping up in the save percentage category among the league's elite stoppers. I've always said he was worth the import slot this year, and if he can keep it up let me be the first to suggest it could be worth using an OA and an Import on him next year. I think Rychel knows that too, which is why he wasn't peddled at the deadline despite some interest from other teams. He's the only reason we have a hope at the playoffs at all, it's time to give this kid the credit he deserves as a top OHL goalie. Honestly, aside from Gibson, Subban and Binnington, there isn't another guy in the league I'd rather have between the pipes right now.

Forgot to mention Bateman... I was all over trading the kid, if only to let both parties move on from something that didn't look like it would ever work. If keeping him ends up being a great move, I'll gladly admit to being wrong about that and it's starting to look that way. For all of his speed bumps with the Spitfires the only reason his development was a huge issue was because we paid so much for him and he was a first round pick. If Bateman had been our 4th round pick, he wouldn't have been that much of a disappointment for a 17yo player. Is Bateman any worse of a player than Saverio Posa was at the same age? That guy ended up being a solid contributor and our captain. If Bateman can keep up this improvement we may not have a star player, but we should at least have a player able to help us. He's doing pretty good in Koekkoek's absence, that's for sure. I'm pretty impressed with the kid for turning it around, I think it shows real character and we need that from our kids.

Last edited by jughead42: 01-18-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Great effort by what appears to be a team on the rise,undefeated in reg since the trade deadline,going 4-0-0-1 since and only allowing 7 goals in that stretch
Beauty goal by HoSang,great 1st goal by Giftopoulous showed nice hands,excellent pk,have not allowed a pp goal since the deadline
Adam Bateman played probably his best game as a Spit,his play has really elevated,looked great with Koekkoek,and since Koeokoek went down is helping considerably to make of the loss of the big man
The 10 man forward group played very well against an always dangerous London team
Nice to see the spits chase Patterson from the cage for the 2nd time in 3 starts,though Stolarz played very well for the Knights
Spits now 2-2 against the Knights this season,with the last 2 games to be played against
them in Windsor
Spits still trail Saggy by 4 with a game in hand,as they won their 6th in a row,knocking off the Sault,they trail the Sault by 6 with a game in hand,looks like it is shaping up to be a 3 way battle for 7th and 8th
Keep up the good work boys,1 game at a time
I wonder with Bateman if the passing of the trade deadline was a weight off his shoulders. I mean he started the year in the dog house, then was basically on the trade block, even being shopped, until the deadline passed, so he never knew if the next phone call was going to be him getting traded, or never felt part of the team. With the deadline passing he knows he's here through the rest of the season.

Hopefully we get good news about Koekkoek - that he's healthy and ready to come back. Did the injury happen with us or was it a preexisting one aggravated here?

Who is our 7th defenceman right now? It was mentioned that McNaughton is playing in Manitoba somewhere - I can't imagine we'd call him back for a stint. So is Brown our #7?

Damn, when will Saginaw lose already. And after they traded Trocheck. At least they beat the Soo, so we gain a game closer to them, but I'd rather get the 8th spot first and then worry about possibly moving up to #7.

Is Warren looking to bring in another forward from Jr. B even when Marchese comes back or just roll with 11 and no depth? One would think getting another player up with us would be a benefit to get them acclimated - but at the same time we'd be taking a good player playing solid minutes off their current team to come play 4th line duty with us.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:25 AM
OHLTG

Yeah, McNaughton is in Manitoba. He went there a few weeks back, from what I remember reading.

Ottomatic, you bring up a great point, one I thought about earlier: Since October, there has been trade talk around this team. Guys like Bateman, Ebert, Pavelka, etc that were on the block. I can't imagine being a kid and hearing my name in every rumour. While I'm sure the coaches could tell them, to an extent, that everything was going to be alright, there was always the chance they would be dealt. That changes your life. To have the deadline pass and they're still here, as much as we may have disliked them before hand, is a huge relief for them. No more worrying about what might happen; go out and play hockey.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:31 AM
JL17

Windsor was the hungier team. You top players showed up to play and London's were somewhere unknown.

Aleardi and Bateman with perfect shots although I think Batemen's should be stopped. Ho Sang's was a beauty.

Pavelka has always been a good goalie. The times that I've seen when get shelled was mostly because his team was no where to be found around him and the visiting jerseies dominated the front of the net. Don't envy that on any goalie.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:18 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I wonder with Bateman if the passing of the trade deadline was a weight off his shoulders. I mean he started the year in the dog house, then was basically on the trade block, even being shopped, until the deadline passed, so he never knew if the next phone call was going to be him getting traded, or never felt part of the team. With the deadline passing he knows he's here through the rest of the season.

Hopefully we get good news about Koekkoek - that he's healthy and ready to come back. Did the injury happen with us or was it a preexisting one aggravated here?

Who is our 7th defenceman right now? It was mentioned that McNaughton is playing in Manitoba somewhere - I can't imagine we'd call him back for a stint. So is Brown our #7?

Damn, when will Saginaw lose already. And after they traded Trocheck. At least they beat the Soo, so we gain a game closer to them, but I'd rather get the 8th spot first and then worry about possibly moving up to #7.

Is Warren looking to bring in another forward from Jr. B even when Marchese comes back or just roll with 11 and no depth? One would think getting another player up with us would be a benefit to get them acclimated - but at the same time we'd be taking a good player playing solid minutes off their current team to come play 4th line duty with us.
Even when Marchese returns there is no card room to bring in another forward on a permanent basis,go with the 11 and keep Bowen in,if Koeokoek returns other wise they can rotate players from Lasalle who have either given up college eligibility ie Mccann,and Dylan Seguin,plus forward on lasalle"s roster who wishes to give up said eligibility,ie Dylan Dennomme,Ben Hanus,Korey Morgan,as well,Graehame Brown is available plus any d-man on the vipers such as Scott Prieur,Evan Makaric who wish to forego college
In the system spits also have Mitch Graham and Ryan Watson,and Dylan Wallace
It is unlikely Spits would ask 16 year old forwards Cameron Hughes,Chris Cobham,Jarrod Leslie or Rob Demontis
Keep in mind jr b players and affilite players can play 9 games,and more after their team finishes their season
Spits have options but they are limited

Old
01-19-2013, 08:22 AM
aresknights

Spits jumped on em to start , capatilizing on chances early. Had an effective PP early.
Chased Patterson and then had Pav stand up when needed.
They won the ST and G battles. Full measure for the W.

1 team playing up to or near their potential and one team thats struggling.

I didnt care for Dales line combos or matchups. HE doesnt play the Rups n Bo against Spits #1 and then replaces Wely with Ferry on the Tierney/ Anderson line and has them matched up against KoKo and co. They were ineffective at slowing them down and never got into their game.

Credit to the Spits for a well played game. Outcoached em and took adv of their chances.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
This is what I'm talking about! After those deadline deals we are very clearly a different team. Games now have meaning, the air is sweeter, and good old schleprock has a little less ammunition to bring us all down with. Seriously, I'm dying to see how he spins this one. My money is on London obviously being in a funk and not playing their best, and I'll also put a little coin on the Knights suffering from mono and the flu at the same time or something like that. Clearly we can't beat the future cup winners in their barn unless Koko lights it up.

Can we start to accept that Pavelka is a pretty good goalie yet? His record with a functioning team in front of him is pretty good I would say. Even with some horrible games earlier in the year when we were at our worst, he's creeping up in the save percentage category among the league's elite stoppers. I've always said he was worth the import slot this year, and if he can keep it up let me be the first to suggest it could be worth using an OA and an Import on him next year. I think Rychel knows that too, which is why he wasn't peddled at the deadline despite some interest from other teams. He's the only reason we have a hope at the playoffs at all, it's time to give this kid the credit he deserves as a top OHL goalie. Honestly, aside from Gibson, Subban and Binnington, there isn't another guy in the league I'd rather have between the pipes right now.

Forgot to mention Bateman... I was all over trading the kid, if only to let both parties move on from something that didn't look like it would ever work. If keeping him ends up being a great move, I'll gladly admit to being wrong about that and it's starting to look that way. For all of his speed bumps with the Spitfires the only reason his development was a huge issue was because we paid so much for him and he was a first round pick. If Bateman had been our 4th round pick, he wouldn't have been that much of a disappointment for a 17yo player. Is Bateman any worse of a player than Saverio Posa was at the same age? That guy ended up being a solid contributor and our captain. If Bateman can keep up this improvement we may not have a star player, but we should at least have a player able to help us. He's doing pretty good in Koekkoek's absence, that's for sure. I'm pretty impressed with the kid for turning it around, I think it shows real character and we need that from our kids.
Excellent post cant agree more
Re Baterman as I posted earlier,not trading Bateman at the deadline might be the best move the Spits made at the deadline,especially in light of the Koekkoek injury,he and Ebert have really stepped up
I readlily admit i am/was concerned when Koekkoek went down thinking oh oh just great,and I can tell you the Spits were thinking the same,but the team as a whole is overcoming,great efforts from everybody,need to keep it up
Great goaltending,rock solid defence,oppourtunistic scoring,up temple play and increased speed,better work ethic and commitment to detail,coach is pushing the right buttons,a whole new attitude has pervaded the room
Before the deadline a couple teams made coaching changes,Windsor amongst others ie Belleville made significant player upgrades and the results are similiar or better thenthose with coaching changes
Lets hope the fun continues ride wont be easy

Closed Thread