HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:49 AM
youngblood10

vCash: 500
Another road win for the Spits, in Branch's crown jewel to boot. Has Ebert figured it out finally? He's made some plays on the back end I thought he'd never have the willingness to and going into puck battles with purpose and without hesitation of late. Last night the hockey gods rewarded his efforts with the empty netter. Hope that level of play continues because he's capable of it.

London is a different team then when they were unbeatable. Still full of skill, talent and speed but taking all the short cuts. Very undisciplined also they could have called a penalty on just about every shift against the Knights.

Sunday will be a good test if Windsor has a let down or not. I really don't think they will as the team for the first time in awhile seems to be focused and believes in itself.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:12 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
What a brutal effort. Seriously, too many two-on-ones, making Pavelka stand on his head again, screwing up a 5-min pow....

Ah hell, I can't keep a straight face...

I KNEW this team could beat London. They're coming together well and this game proves it.

It's only one game, though. They'll probably lose the rest
I'm not sure why you make posts like this. It only is one game and they had to win a game against London because Saginaw did. All Windsor has done is reduce the deficit against Saginaw by making up games in hand. A lot of work still remains for a team that is still under .500 there still isn't any room for error because other teams like Sarnia and Plymouth continue to play well. You're still looking at a 7th or 8th seed and by any measure that isn't acceptable for year 2 in a rebuild.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:28 AM
KnightSpit

Spits Last Night and Beyond and Reilly

Legend

The Spits looked good last night and I think are now playoff bound, especially with Erie stumbling. Still should've traded Batemen, if they could've got a big power forward, who goes to the net, or a big steady stay at home D. Yeah I know the OHL has alot kids, but look at the teams that do well and I am telling you SIZE still matters so much in this leauge, especially on D, I mean some of these forwards even at 17 years of age are like 6 ft 4 and 200 lbs, how do these under sized D expect to move them from in front of the net?, or win the battle along the boards? You really see this when you are at the games live, down low along the glass in any OHL arena.

Having said that hope to see the Spits and Knights battle it out in the playoffs. ON another note, waht are your thought on Morgan Reily, being cut from the Leafs. EHre's another example, fo a kid who is a great skater, great pass, but under sized to be sure. The Leafs list him at 6ft, No Way, saw him next to the TSN reporter, no more than 5 ft 11 at best. Just look how great Ryan Ellis was in the O and how difficult it is for him to amke it in the show. The only under 6 ft D I can recall making a huge impact in the NHL was Rafalski, with New Jersey.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I'm not sure why you make posts like this. It only is one game and they had to win a game against London because Saginaw did. All Windsor has done is reduce the deficit against Saginaw by making up games in hand. A lot of work still remains for a team that is still under .500 there still isn't any room for error because other teams like Sarnia and Plymouth continue to play well. You're still looking at a 7th or 8th seed and by any measure that isn't acceptable for year 2 in a rebuild.
After the trade deadline is when the league ramps up. They are undefeated in regulation after 4. 3 of which were on the road. Belleville and London are top quality teams, so is Oshawa but they did have some key players out. So it isn't just one game. They have several head to head match up against division teams still and that will ultimately decide their fate. This isn't a .500 team now, they punted the first half of the season away for all intents and purposes. I'm amazed that they could do a mid season rebuild with how bad the team was without selling the farm. I do agree lots of work ahead for this group but it should be a heck of a lot of fun to watch.

I'm critical of the Spits when I think it's warranted but you just hate on them Rayzor that's what creates posts that poke fun at you.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:50 AM
dino200022

From a london fan, you guys looked great last night. Some really good pick ups in Aleardi and Gifty. Sieloff is a fantastic dman and Sanvido really impressed me with his pateience with the puck and making that first pass. Khok would be a much better player if he could find a way to stay on his feet! Ho-Sang is getting it as well he has some solid patience and seems to limit his mistakes. Could be a good run for ya's!

Old
01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Now Rayzor u know if a 7th place spot knocks off the 2 seed it is perfectly acceptable in year 2 of a rebuild
I dont think anybody wants to play Windsor in the 1st rd especially a team like Sarnia or Plymouth

Old
01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
You're allowed to enjoy a win. It's okay, Rayzor You wanted to see how they'd do against London, and now you saw it.

BTW, if you don't see why I made a post like that...in the words of Rafiki..."look haaarrrrderrrrr..."

Old
01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Legend

The Spits looked good last night and I think are now playoff bound, especially with Erie stumbling. Still should've traded Batemen, if they could've got a big power forward, who goes to the net, or a big steady stay at home D. Yeah I know the OHL has alot kids, but look at the teams that do well and I am telling you SIZE still matters so much in this leauge, especially on D, I mean some of these forwards even at 17 years of age are like 6 ft 4 and 200 lbs, how do these under sized D expect to move them from in front of the net?, or win the battle along the boards? You really see this when you are at the games live, down low along the glass in any OHL arena.

Having said that hope to see the Spits and Knights battle it out in the playoffs. ON another note, waht are your thought on Morgan Reily, being cut from the Leafs. EHre's another example, fo a kid who is a great skater, great pass, but under sized to be sure. The Leafs list him at 6ft, No Way, saw him next to the TSN reporter, no more than 5 ft 11 at best. Just look how great Ryan Ellis was in the O and how difficult it is for him to amke it in the show. The only under 6 ft D I can recall making a huge impact in the NHL was Rafalski, with New Jersey.
They tried hard to trade Bateman no takers,and or could not get what they wanted
while I agree he is not big,he does have quick feet,which served Posa well in this league,ideally i like them big and mobile ie Ebert and Koekkoek,but my feeling is that Bateman just might work partnered with the right guy,and so far since the deadline and moreso since Koekkoek went down he has really stepped up,i hope its a turning pt for him
As for question about Reilly rfe the Leafs,no exhibition games and age held him back,I do think he will make them next yr,he is a beauty

Old
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Legend

That's why we have a 6'6" 220 lb 16 yr old defenceman in Patrick Sanvido.

Nobody wanted Bateman, at least not for the price WR was asking. 6'4" 200lbs is nothing if you have a defenceman 5'11" and 200lbs. Height is only good for reach, or the ability to put on more bulk/weight. But if you have a 6'4" 200lb player and I have a 5'10" 200lb player, the shorter player will be stronger and have the lower center of gravity and thus leverage to direct traffic in front of the net. Now Ellis and Reilly Bateman max out 180lbs - it's still about positioning, staking ability and hockey IQ.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Now Rayzor u know if a 7th place spot knocks off the 2 seed it is perfectly acceptable in year 2 of a rebuild
I dont think anybody wants to play Windsor in the 1st rd especially a team like Sarnia or Plymouth
I will tell you what this reminds me of is 05/06 when Windsor was very active at the deadline underachieved for much of the first half of the year. They put it together for a run and got a 7th seed and we all know how the season ended. I just have an issue with the fact the season has all but come down to a race to get an 8th seed or possibly a 7th seed. There was so much more hope from some before the season began and we are reduced to this. I understand take the game for what it is but there needs to be something bigger to aim for. It isn't a marathon anymore, it's a sprint to the finish and even if they do make the playoffs better have enough energy to make a run once you get in.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I will tell you what this reminds me of is 05/06 when Windsor was very active at the deadline underachieved for much of the first half of the year. They put it together for a run and got a 7th seed and we all know how the season ended. I just have an issue with the fact the season has all but come down to a race to get an 8th seed or possibly a 7th seed. There was so much more hope from some before the season began and we are reduced to this. I understand take the game for what it is but there needs to be something bigger to aim for. It isn't a marathon anymore, it's a sprint to the finish and even if they do make the playoffs better have enough energy to make a run once you get in.
I am pretty sure most spits fans are pretty pumped at how this team is playing,and while some teams will cruise to the playoffs,spits might get in on a high and u have to admit tough to turn it on and off like a tap
No secret I would like to get the 7th seed,time will tell
We know for a while but if the spits get in and knock off their 1st opponent i dont think many people will be thinking about a reduction but an expectatation
I for one want to enjoy the ride see where it goes,u should too there is room for u

Old
01-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Ottomatic

I'm expecting bad news on Koekkoek - I suspect his shoulder was a mess, and that's why we paid what we did for him. 3rd line center and two second rounders (one of which you could even say was a partial make up for Schoenmakers not reporting - Lorentz into Aleardi - Aleardi is the type of OA Rychel would have spent a future second rounder on for a run (ie Carrick a few seasons ago).

I expect the Lightning franchise to have him have surgery on it now to try and fix it once and for all. I wonder if he has the same issue as Alonge, as Koekkoek seems to have had a few separations over his recent playing days.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:00 PM
jughead42

Quote:
I am pretty sure most spits fans are pretty pumped at how this team is playing,and while some teams will cruise to the playoffs,spits might get in on a high and u have to admit tough to turn it on and off like a tap
No secret I would like to get the 7th seed,time will tell
We know for a while but if the spits get in and knock off their 1st opponent i dont think many people will be thinking about a reduction but an expectatation
I for one want to enjoy the ride see where it goes,u should too there is room for u
Nah, no room for him. Moping about what could have been if things were different in the first half is pointless, we don't need any debbie downers on this bandwagon. We're leaving without him.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I'm expecting bad news on Koekkoek - I suspect his shoulder was a mess, and that's why we paid what we did for him. 3rd line center and two second rounders (one of which you could even say was a partial make up for Schoenmakers not reporting - Lorentz into Aleardi - Aleardi is the type of OA Rychel would have spent a future second rounder on for a run (ie Carrick a few seasons ago).

I expect the Lightning franchise to have him have surgery on it now to try and fix it once and for all. I wonder if he has the same issue as Alonge, as Koekkoek seems to have had a few separations over his recent playing days.
He did not miss a game this season,it was the fall in ot at Belleville that caused his injury,still awaiting word
I do know some of what his injury is but I dont know the impact if he were to continue playing,ie risk,understand there is no pain

Old
01-19-2013, 01:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Nah, no room for him. Moping about what could have been if things were different in the first half is pointless, we don't need any debbie downers on this bandwagon. We're leaving without him.
I'm not moping about it, just making it a point that barring a playoff run there isn't much of a way to rationalize this season being a success.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:06 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I'm not moping about it, just making it a point that barring a playoff run there isn't much of a way to rationalize this season being a success.
You're not making a point, come on. We just beat London, everyone is pretty happy about it, and you're saying it doesn't matter because this team will still finish 7th or 8th and be beaten in the first round, making a failure of the season. You're allowed to enjoy this a bit. Really, you are!

Old
01-19-2013, 02:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You're not making a point, come on. We just beat London, everyone is pretty happy about it, and you're saying it doesn't matter because this team will still finish 7th or 8th and be beaten in the first round, making a failure of the season. You're allowed to enjoy this a bit. Really, you are!
For some reason I am not surprised you missed the point. My point is there is still a lot of work to do, they're not in a playoff spot yet. I will enjoy it if they make the playoffs and build off last year. I get it you're a fan boy and anything they do you will enjoy whether they win or lose. You must have loved that 05-06 season.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:59 PM
jughead42

Quote:
That goes for every season of junior hockey played by every team. It's all about the playoffs and how the team performs to determine whether a year is successful. We had expectations to make noise in the playoffs this year, and have a contender for the cup next year. After a bumpy ride, an incredibly bumpy ride, the team stands where it's at right now. We have an opportunity to make noise in the playoffs and have a cup contender next year if the team continues to play this way. We are finally where we need to be, which is something of a minor miracle given what this team has endured to get here. Good teams are forged in the hottest fire, and overcoming these issues is something that will make these guys better as a team. You learn how to win in this league, and this team is starting to get it.

Forget about the start of the season, that was not the same team. Take this team for what it is now, and look at some of the advantages we have with our current situation. Every good playoff team needs to be strong up the middle. Who in the West has a better center than we do in Khokhlachev right now? McDavid is good in Erie, but they may not make the playoffs. Faksa? Ha! Fat-ksa chance! Domi? I don't think so, maybe some day but not now. Cat in Owen Sound? Cousins in the Soo? Probably not. Maybe Troecheck in Plymouth could be considered better than Koko by some, but other than him there aren't many better in the west. Same goes for another important position, goalie. Binnington and Gibson might be better, but Pav is better than the rest and getting closer to those guys ahead of him. Those are two big areas to have an advantage over the other teams, you have to recognize that. Clearly our blue line is the area of the team that is the biggest question mark, but in Sieloff we have one of the better physical defensemen in the league and with Koekkoek we have one of the better offensive defensemen. Most teams don't have an elite top 6, you can get by with a top 2 and a dependable 2nd pair. We have the pieces to be a good club, and now we're playing like one. We probably don't have the depth of talent yet to be a cup contender, but we've got enough to have a reasonable shot at winning a series or two before we grind down.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
For some reason I am not surprised you missed the point. My point is there is still a lot of work to do, they're not in a playoff spot yet. I will enjoy it if they make the playoffs and build off last year. I get it you're a fan boy and anything they do you will enjoy whether they win or lose. You must have loved that 05-06 season.
We know your point. This team could win every game 10-0, but it's irrelevant if we don't make the playoffs. We get it. Some of us, though, are trying to enjoy the win over London, realizing full well that this team is making huge strides since the deadline. You can sit there, call me a "fanboy" because I'm impressed with the team, and be the negative one, but reality says this isn't the same team from a few weeks ago.

I don't remember much from the 2005/2006 season, but I'm sure I didn't mind much about it. I don't remember hating it, that's for sure.

Jug, love that post!!! This team is not nearly the same team it was in Sept, or even December. They're on a different wavelength and those who have seen games can tell the difference. It's obvious at the arena and online; people are noticing a different vibe. You don't beat Oshawa, London, Brampton, and Mississauga, and take Belleville to a shoot-out, without some talent. The team is making strides and it's only a matter of time before sometimes really good happens.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
That goes for every season of junior hockey played by every team. It's all about the playoffs and how the team performs to determine whether a year is successful. We had expectations to make noise in the playoffs this year, and have a contender for the cup next year. After a bumpy ride, an incredibly bumpy ride, the team stands where it's at right now. We have an opportunity to make noise in the playoffs and have a cup contender next year if the team continues to play this way. We are finally where we need to be, which is something of a minor miracle given what this team has endured to get here. Good teams are forged in the hottest fire, and overcoming these issues is something that will make these guys better as a team. You learn how to win in this league, and this team is starting to get it.

Forget about the start of the season, that was not the same team. Take this team for what it is now, and look at some of the advantages we have with our current situation. Every good playoff team needs to be strong up the middle. Who in the West has a better center than we do in Khokhlachev right now? McDavid is good in Erie, but they may not make the playoffs. Faksa? Ha! Fat-ksa chance! Domi? I don't think so, maybe some day but not now. Cat in Owen Sound? Cousins in the Soo? Probably not. Maybe Troecheck in Plymouth could be considered better than Koko by some, but other than him there aren't many better in the west. Same goes for another important position, goalie. Binnington and Gibson might be better, but Pav is better than the rest and getting closer to those guys ahead of him. Those are two big areas to have an advantage over the other teams, you have to recognize that. Clearly our blue line is the area of the team that is the biggest question mark, but in Sieloff we have one of the better physical defensemen in the league and with Koekkoek we have one of the better offensive defensemen. Most teams don't have an elite top 6, you can get by with a top 2 and a dependable 2nd pair. We have the pieces to be a good club, and now we're playing like one. We probably don't have the depth of talent yet to be a cup contender, but we've got enough to have a reasonable shot at winning a series or two before we grind down.
I understand what you're saying but like you point out to the depth of the team I think the lack of depth can take it's toll even in just one series. We can ignore a team like Owen Sound and Kitchener for now because there is no chance of facing them in round 1 of the playoffs if they make it. I think there's some misinformation or saying things to suit your argument. You like Pavelka a lot more than I do and I can respect that. How can a guy like Mahalak be criticized and not as good as Pavelka when he has better numbers this year and most think Plymouth's D isn't very good? That doesn't really jive if you get my drift. We will know more in a week but I think you may put Galchenyuk ahead of Khokhlachev, he's with Montreal for now but Therrien is even apprehensive about putting him in the lineup right now but he will be there for the current time. I hope Windsor can play well enough to get into the playoffs but I still have a hard time favoring Windsor over a team like London, Plymouth or Sarnia. If Windsor for instance sneaks in as a 7 seed and Windsor only wins 2 of the 5 remaining games against Plymouth who would give Windsor an edge against that team? I guess we will see where this team is come 2 months from now.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:01 PM
jughead42

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but like you point out to the depth of the team I think the lack of depth can take it's toll even in just one series. We can ignore a team like Owen Sound and Kitchener for now because there is no chance of facing them in round 1 of the playoffs if they make it. I think there's some misinformation or saying things to suit your argument. You like Pavelka a lot more than I do and I can respect that. How can a guy like Mahalak be criticized and not as good as Pavelka when he has better numbers this year and most think Plymouth's D isn't very good? That doesn't really jive if you get my drift. We will know more in a week but I think you may put Galchenyuk ahead of Khokhlachev, he's with Montreal for now but Therrien is even apprehensive about putting him in the lineup right now but he will be there for the current time. I hope Windsor can play well enough to get into the playoffs but I still have a hard time favoring Windsor over a team like London, Plymouth or Sarnia. If Windsor for instance sneaks in as a 7 seed and Windsor only wins 2 of the 5 remaining games against Plymouth who would give Windsor an edge against that team? I guess we will see where this team is come 2 months from now.
Mahalak? Are you still beating that drum? Isn't he the guy who almost lost his starting job to a 16yo rookie for letting in softies earlier in the year? You should know numbers aren't everything, a good goalie makes the saves when they are needed most and that is something I feel Pavelka is much more capable of than Mahalak. When you see Pavelka play you can see he's a superior goalie regardless of his numbers. We've had some crummy goalies over the years, and some good ones. Pav is better than most of them based on what I see with my eyes. Goals against doesn't take into account things like being on the penalty kill (ours was brutal much of the season) or other situational things. Very rarely does Pavelka let in goals he shouldn't that hurt the team. Sure, he'll have a bad game from time to time but all goalies do. Pavelka however consistently makes the saves he should, he doesn't leave rebounds laying around too much, he's quick on his feet and he doesn't let traffic in his crease or a bad goal effect his play. I see that with my eyes that the numbers won't show, and those are the things that make a good goalie in my opinion.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Curious numbers,Spits are 8-7-0-2 in their last 17 games,with 10 of those games on the road and it includes losing 7 in a row
They started 4-0-0-1,then 0-7,now 4-0-0-1,,with the new lineup in the last 5
As well the the Spits are 0-6 vs OwenSd and Plymouth,all with the old lineup and 4 of those losses on the road,and 18-13-1-6 against the rest of the league
They are 6-3-1-4 against East conf opponents
My feeling with continued improvements the records against plymouth and owen sd will improve

Old
01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Mahalak? Are you still beating that drum? Isn't he the guy who almost lost his starting job to a 16yo rookie for letting in softies earlier in the year? You should know numbers aren't everything, a good goalie makes the saves when they are needed most and that is something I feel Pavelka is much more capable of than Mahalak. When you see Pavelka play you can see he's a superior goalie regardless of his numbers. We've had some crummy goalies over the years, and some good ones. Pav is better than most of them based on what I see with my eyes. Goals against doesn't take into account things like being on the penalty kill (ours was brutal much of the season) or other situational things. Very rarely does Pavelka let in goals he shouldn't that hurt the team. Sure, he'll have a bad game from time to time but all goalies do. Pavelka however consistently makes the saves he should, he doesn't leave rebounds laying around too much, he's quick on his feet and he doesn't let traffic in his crease or a bad goal effect his play. I see that with my eyes that the numbers won't show, and those are the things that make a good goalie in my opinion.
No I just find it interesting that people critcize me for not giving credit to Windsor but nobody here gives credit to Plymouth. I don't think Mahalak was ever in danger of losing his job as much as it was Vellucci going with the hot hand. Like you said you can't always judge a goalie by numbers Mahalak stunk in November but got more wins than he did in December. Mahalak has been better in December and January than he was in November. Then people here say Vellucci never goes out and makes a big move then he goes out and gets Trocheck and the Whalers haven't lost since acquiring him. Is it possible both teams improved a lot since the deadline but Plymouth is still a better all around team?

Old
01-19-2013, 04:38 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Curious numbers,Spits are 8-7-0-2 in their last 17 games,with 10 of those games on the road and it includes losing 7 in a row
They started 4-0-0-1,then 0-7,now 4-0-0-1,,with the new lineup in the last 5
As well the the Spits are 0-6 vs OwenSd and Plymouth,all with the old lineup and 4 of those losses on the road,and 18-13-1-6 against the rest of the league
They are 6-3-1-4 against East conf opponents
My feeling with continued improvements the records against plymouth and owen sd will improve
That's interesting. You could see that they were starting to get better prior to the slide, but I think losing guys like Seiloff and Ho Sang combined with the uncertainty of the impending trade deadline squashed that progress a bit. Johnson has been going pretty good lately, and he picked it up prior to the deadline during the losing streak. So had Bateman for that matter. Marchese is the guy who needs to pick it up when he returns, he's one of the remaining underachievers who hasn't found his groove yet.

Quote:
No I just find it interesting that people critcize me for not giving credit to Windsor but nobody here gives credit to Plymouth. I don't think Mahalak was ever in danger of losing his job as much as it was Vellucci going with the hot hand. Like you said you can't always judge a goalie by numbers Mahalak stunk in November but got more wins than he did in December. Mahalak has been better in December and January than he was in November. Then people here say Vellucci never goes out and makes a big move then he goes out and gets Trocheck and the Whalers haven't lost since acquiring him. Is it possible both teams improved a lot since the deadline but Plymouth is still a better all around team?
I'll give credit to Plymouth, they might be better than us overall this year. Hartman and Trocheck makes them strong up the middle, they are big, their coach is smart and they play good playoff style hockey. But they have their warts too, and enough warts that beating them in the playoffs should they meet isn't absurd. Sarnia on the other hand is not going to be too much to handle even with Gally in the lineup if that happens. Their best defenseman is out for the season, and all that luscious scoring ability didn't do squat for them last year in the playoffs, and they had more of it then. I'd be pretty happy with a Sarnia first round matchup to be honest.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Libbs

We have yet to beat Plymouth this season... until we do that, I doubt we would beat them in the playoffs.

Closed Thread