HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
We have yet to beat Plymouth this season... until we do that, I doubt we would beat them in the playoffs.
Good pt Windsor has 5 games left against them 3 at home,have yet to play them with new roster

Old
01-19-2013, 05:05 PM
jughead42

Quote:
We have yet to beat Plymouth this season... until we do that, I doubt we would beat them in the playoffs.
We'll just have to hope we get London then I guess. You're probably right, at least we haven't played them yet with our likely playoff roster. How we stack up will be more clear after the regular season games are done for sure. If this was a month ago, I say we get creamed. Now, we have a chance I think. Actually I'd say playing Kitchener or Sarnia would be our best hope if it could happen for the first round. I wouldn't mind either of them, but we'd have a tough time with Plymouth, Owen Sound or London I think. Kitchener just doesn't seem like a team that will ever equal the sum of it's parts and I'm supremely confident in Steve Spott's ability to get the least from a talented team after the junior tournament.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
No I just find it interesting that people critcize me for not giving credit to Windsor but nobody here gives credit to Plymouth. I don't think Mahalak was ever in danger of losing his job as much as it was Vellucci going with the hot hand. Like you said you can't always judge a goalie by numbers Mahalak stunk in November but got more wins than he did in December. Mahalak has been better in December and January than he was in November. Then people here say Vellucci never goes out and makes a big move then he goes out and gets Trocheck and the Whalers haven't lost since acquiring him. Is it possible both teams improved a lot since the deadline but Plymouth is still a better all around team?
While u are correct Whales have yet to lose since the deadline,winning 3 all at home against such world beaters as Brampton,Erie and Missy
Unlike Windsor who has beaten London and took what probably is the most improved team in East Belleville to a shootout both on the road
Despite their offensive power 2 of their wins were by 1 goal,while they beat Brampton by 2
They still have to prove they can with the big boys and on the road

Old
01-19-2013, 05:31 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
No I just find it interesting that people critcize me for not giving credit to Windsor but nobody here gives credit to Plymouth. I don't think Mahalak was ever in danger of losing his job as much as it was Vellucci going with the hot hand. Like you said you can't always judge a goalie by numbers Mahalak stunk in November but got more wins than he did in December. Mahalak has been better in December and January than he was in November. Then people here say Vellucci never goes out and makes a big move then he goes out and gets Trocheck and the Whalers haven't lost since acquiring him. Is it possible both teams improved a lot since the deadline but Plymouth is still a better all around team?
Why would mostly Spitfires' fans posting in a Spitfire thread be worried about giving Plymouth credit? Go criticize the hell out of the Spits on the Whaler thread and you'll have no problems.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Why would mostly Spitfires' fans posting in a Spitfire thread be worried about giving Plymouth credit? Go criticize the hell out of the Spits on the Whaler thread and you'll have no problems.

Well said, the constant negativity towards this team is starting to grow tiresome. Even when the team is playing decent and are starting to what appears to be turning a corner on this stretch run, he always brings the negativity out and looks to rant just to rant. since the deadline has passed there is a new atmosphere growing and I canít wait to see how the rest of this season plays out.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits enter Sundays game against Sarnia trailing Saginaw by 4 pts with 2 games in hand,and also 2 games left against each other
After SSM thrashing of Ply 7-3 spits now trail the hounds by 8 pts with 2 games in hand as well,along with 2 games against each other
Spits need to continue their fine play in what is expected to be a full house

Old
01-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Ottomatic

Tampa Bay shuts down Koekkoek for the season - will have surgery and is out four to six months.

Pete's get payback for Schoenmakers not reporting - trade damaged goods.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Tampa Bay shuts down Koekkoek for the season - will have surgery and is out four to six months.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:

Well this is great news, thanks WR you're an idiot and this is why you don't trade Posa now we have the worst Defence in the league and no 3rd line center...you really set us up just fine get one of the most injury prone players in the CHL....he will come back next year and break his leg and will be out the entire season more then likely.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Well this is great news, thanks WR you're an idiot and this is why you don't trade Posa now we have the worst Defence in the league and no 3rd line center...you really set us up just fine get one of the most injury prone players in the CHL....he will come back next year and break his leg and will be out the entire season more then likely.
Wow...since you're so confident in predicting the future, want to pick my lottery numbers?

If you didn't figure it out by now, Posa wasn't traded because of the Koekkoek acquisition. It was a message sender.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Wow...since you're so confident in predicting the future, want to pick my lottery numbers?

If you didn't figure it out by now, Posa wasn't traded because of the Koekkoek acquisition. It was a message sender.
What a great message now we got Bowen as number 6 and they won't play him so we roll with 5? Does that sound good? He should have thought what happens If a d gets injured and look at who we got as a 7th D... We could have rolled 7 d and use Bateman as the 7th D and utility forward for a situation like this.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Obviously it hurts for the present but lets be honest here if there is an issue with his shoulder and it sounds like there is I would rather him get any work done on it now than wait until May. He will have more time to rehab and it's best for Koekkoek and the Spits long term rather than try and play with an injury and cause more damage eg. RGIII

Old
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
aresknights

Ouch! Others will have to step up.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
KyGuy9

These Spits won't give up... goals 30 something seconds apart to take the lead 5-4. Is it just me or is Josh Ho-Sang really imrpoving? Goals by Kerby, Ho-Sang, Koko, Aleardi and Giftopolous has just scored. Assists by Sieloff, Koko x2, Kerby, Ebert, Aleardi, and Vail. Can not wait for the last 10 minutes.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
KyGuy9

Spits also have done a WAY better job hitting the net 46 shots on Anderson as of now

Old
01-20-2013, 03:23 PM
KyGuy9

WHAT A WIN BY WINDSOR!!! Man... PAV is the best goalie in the league right now. He ABSOLUTELY stood on his head to preserve the win.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
KyGuy9

Koko is also the best forward in the West now. Wow

Old
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
jughead42

There's no way anyone who saw the last 10 minutes of that game could mistake Pavelka for anything but an elite OHL goalie. As I've said before, he doesn't get rattled by a bad goal and he just finds a way to make the saves he needs to make. That was a whole lot of fun to watch him play, especially on the PK when our guys were gassed and standing around. He was simply amazing.

I know Ho Sang and Taylor Hall are two different types of players, however I see in Ho Sang that same desire to be the man when the team needs a goal. When we needed to tie it up he'd take that puck and effortlessly buzz through Sarnia's team to create chances. The goal that tied it was a beauty. This kid is something else. It's way better for the team that we don't need him to be the man anymore, but he wants to be the man anyway when the game is on the line.

Giftopolous looked good, he's got a pretty solid shot and he likes to get it off. The game winner was a rocket. He looks like he is going to be a very useful player for us.

Johnson was buzzing around pretty good on the forecheck again, he didn't get on the score sheet but I feel confident that he's finally found his game. Like Ho Sang I think he's a player that struggled a bit trying to play a role he's not suited to play earlier in the year. He's more of a quality energy guy who can contribute than he is a scoring winger. He reminds me a lot of Kenny Ryan, another guy who just didn't have the shot to take advantage of all the opportunities his hard work would create.

It sucks about Koekkoek, but we'll still have him for next year. It's possible we were paying such a reasonable price for him because there was a chance this could happen. He'll be back next year, it is what it is, and I don't think you can blame Rychel for this. I might still make this trade even knowing this would happen, as the price for a player of Koekkoek's caliber next season when the OHL hosts the cup is going to be insane. I like Clarke, but his loss obviously isn't hurting the team, and Koekkoek's absence hasn't for that matter either. A third line center playing behind guys like Koko and Vail isn't going to see the ice much anyway. I'd still do the Posa trade too. He's a body we could use now in hindsight but who knows if this dramatic transformation of the team would have been as successful if they still had the same leadership in place. I think that trade was a big part of it, things on the ice and in the dressing room had to change when the losing attitude crept in.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Section103

Minus the 2 shorthanded goals, great win today. Good teams always find a way to win -- I like what I'm seeing

Old
01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
hockeylegend11

Shame about Koekkoek being shutdown,ironically it was 1 year today that he had

shoulder surgery

Old
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Ottomatic

Remy Giftopoulos gives us what we would have needed out of Michael Clarke. I think Clarke can do more in the league, but that is the role we needed out of him so he's better moving on. Remy is a good third line guy who will do what it takes to win - which is infectious, and can pot a goal on occasion. Johnson-Giftopoulos-Verbeek could be a good third/checking line for us.

Rychel, Koko and Aleardi are on fire right now - a legit #1 line that teams have to worry about. This takes pressure off of the rest of the boys to let them more play their own games - Vail is a good second line guy for us - scoring potential but defensively responsible. I like him with Ho-Sang, and I assume Marchese will fall on this line when he comes back.

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Aleardi
Marchese|Vail|Ho-Sang
Johnson|Giftopoulos|Verbeek
Studnicka|Clark

I think it's obvious now that we knew we were getting damaged goods in Koekkoek, explains the price tag. I assume the Pete's wanted to trade him now rather than post season after his surgery because they didn't want to deal with the rehab, nor did Slater want to be there. I'd still do the trade knowing we'll have him next season, hopefully with his shoulder issue fixed permanently.

The Koekkoek trade didn't hurt us this year per se in that Clarke to Remy is pretty much a wash in my opinion. I guess it hurts because we could have traded Clarke and the picks elsewhere for now help.

I would like to see the Soo start losing a bit. It just seems everybody in front of us keeps winning so we're not making any real gains.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Shame about Koekkoek being shutdown,ironically it was 1 year today that he had

shoulder surgery
Same shoulder? Same issue? I assume he'll have a better doc this time around given Tampa Bay will be footing the bill instead of OHIP. Not to knock Ontario doctors, but TB will send him to the elite, the Dr. James Andrews of shoulders if you will.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Obviously it hurts for the present but lets be honest here if there is an issue with his shoulder and it sounds like there is I would rather him get any work done on it now than wait until May. He will have more time to rehab and it's best for Koekkoek and the Spits long term rather than try and play with an injury and cause more damage eg. RGIII
I agree while it stings to have him done for the year,better to get it fixed sooner thenm later
Having missed more then two half seasons I doubt he makes TBay next year,he will return next yr as Windsor"s best D-man
Others have to step up like they have the past 4 games without him
Him being out is like SSm without Sproul,Guelph without Finn,London without Harrington,Plymouth without Carrick,Sarnia and Murphy,potentially devastating but team must overcome

Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Remy Giftopoulos gives us what we would have needed out of Michael Clarke. I think Clarke can do more in the league, but that is the role we needed out of him so he's better moving on. Remy is a good third line guy who will do what it takes to win - which is infectious, and can pot a goal on occasion. Johnson-Giftopoulos-Verbeek could be a good third/checking line for us.

Rychel, Koko and Aleardi are on fire right now - a legit #1 line that teams have to worry about. This takes pressure off of the rest of the boys to let them more play their own games - Vail is a good second line guy for us - scoring potential but defensively responsible. I like him with Ho-Sang, and I assume Marchese will fall on this line when he comes back.

Rychel|Khokhlachev|Aleardi
Marchese|Vail|Ho-Sang
Johnson|Giftopoulos|Verbeek
Studnicka|Clark

I think it's obvious now that we knew we were getting damaged goods in Koekkoek, explains the price tag. I assume the Pete's wanted to trade him now rather than post season after his surgery because they didn't want to deal with the rehab, nor did Slater want to be there. I'd still do the trade knowing we'll have him next season, hopefully with his shoulder issue fixed permanently.

The Koekkoek trade didn't hurt us this year per se in that Clarke to Remy is pretty much a wash in my opinion. I guess it hurts because we could have traded Clarke and the picks elsewhere for now help.

I would like to see the Soo start losing a bit. It just seems everybody in front of us keeps winning so we're not making any real gains.
Keep in mind he was hurt in Belleville and had not missed a game this season prior to that
As well it was the anchors that were inserted in his shoulder that popped out

Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Koko is also the best forward in the West now. Wow
He's playing like a man possessed and is already scooting his way up the Spit's scoring list. Who in the west is playing better right now? *crickets chirping* For all the grief Rychel took for the handling of the import situation, it's quite possible we ended up with the 2 highest impact imports in the league when all was said and done. Are we a better team with Tolchinsky replacing either Koko or Pav? I doubt it.

Closed Thread