HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
KyGuy9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I would like to see the Soo start losing a bit. It just seems everybody in front of us keeps winning so we're not making any real gains.
At least Saginaw lost yesterday...

If this team continues to give this effort for the rest of the season I don't see how we can't get 7th or 6th place, and the season series with London is tied too. Possible deep playoff run?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:31 PM
etr102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I would like to see the Soo start losing a bit. It just seems everybody in front of us keeps winning so we're not making any real gains.
Well we are now only 2 points behind Saginaw and only 6 behind the Soo. To me, that's a gain.

Next week we have Plymouth, Soo and Sudbury. Plymouth game will be tough for sure, but we have a realistic chance of possibly sneaking into 8th next week.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:35 PM
hockeylegend11

Coming back 3 times from 2 goal deficits shows this teams new found confidence
and offensive ability,they were the better team after the 1st 5 minutes,especially the 2nd period,2 shorthanders given up not impressive,Sting only threatened in 3rd as result of 2 gift powerplays,pretty soft calls,Spits outscored the Sting 5-2,five on five,getting goals from 5 different guys ,plus all three lines got a goal,impressive depth
Pavelka was outstanding the 3rd,goalie usuallly your penalty killer
Spits now trail Saggy by 2 pts with a game hand,and the Sault by 6 with a guy in hand
Plymouth is 7 pts up with 5 games left to play them,3 at home ,including 1 this thursday

Old
01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
etr102

As for the game itself, it was a great effort by the Spits. Was nice to see the boys bounce back nicely after Sarnia's 3rd goal when Pavelka slid 5ft out of the net and got tangled up with of of his own guys, and their 4th goal when Bateman knocked it in our own net.

My biggest worry is depth. If any of our key guys goes down, we're done. Remember last year in Plymouth when Koko suffered a freak kidney injury? Something like that happens this year and we are screwed. But let's all think positively and hope it doesn't come to that.

Giftopoulos has been a big asset as has Aleardi. I can't help but wonder what kind of shape we would be in now if Koko was here in September.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
KyGuy9

Planning for next year, think we might be able to get Ritchie and/or Cornel from Peter.?
I heard Ritchie wants out, and it seems like only a matter of time before he asks out, too, having a pretty terrible season compared to other rookies and players. They would be great players that could play on basically any line, and Cornel might find his game here. Thoughts?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
KyGuy9

Lets rethink the Aleardi trade... We got him for the price of Lorentz... WOOOOOOW!

So we gave up Schoe and Devlin for him and Murphy.

I betcha anyone would do that. Nice Warren

Old
01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
As for the game itself, it was a great effort by the Spits. Was nice to see the boys bounce back nicely after Sarnia's 3rd goal when Pavelka slid 5ft out of the net and got tangled up with of of his own guys, and their 4th goal when Bateman knocked it in our own net.

My biggest worry is depth. If any of our key guys goes down, we're done. Remember last year in Plymouth when Koko suffered a freak kidney injury? Something like that happens this year and we are screwed. But let's all think positively and hope it doesn't come to that.

Giftopoulos has been a big asset as has Aleardi. I can't help but wonder what kind of shape we would be in now if Koko was here in September.
The big injury has occurred,hope nothing serious happens for balance of season

Old
01-20-2013, 06:02 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Lets rethink the Aleardi trade... We got him for the price of Lorentz... WOOOOOOW!

So we gave up Schoe and Devlin for him and Murphy.

I betcha anyone would do that. Nice Warren
Peterborough made out pretty good too, they flipped Schoe for Czinder.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:03 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Obviously it hurts for the present but lets be honest here if there is an issue with his shoulder and it sounds like there is I would rather him get any work done on it now than wait until May. He will have more time to rehab and it's best for Koekkoek and the Spits long term rather than try and play with an injury and cause more damage eg. RGIII
It's 5:55pm on Sunday January 20, 2013...and I actually agree with Rayzor. I'm going to go watch the meteor hit, now

As for the game itself...this was one of those "character wins" you hear about. They could have folded up the tent and said "we're tired, screw it", but they didn't, and it's appreciated.

Koko controlled the ice again and basically did what he wanted. It'll be interesting to see how many points he can put up between now and March.

I like the Johnson-Vail-HoSang line. They showed some creativity and you're going to need that if the first line shuts down. While you could put Marchese up here, messing with chemistry is a bad idea right now.

What more needs to be said about Pavelka? He stood on his head and anyone who tells me he's not a stud...watch the third period tonight. Hell, watch the entire game. At least two of the goals weren't his fault (Bateman, open cage). Without him, this game is over in the third, no question.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Peterborough made out pretty good too, they flipped Schoe for Czinder.
The irony is that Czinder (3g 2a in 5g) has more points in less games than Schoemakers (3g 1a 7g) as of now. Who would have thought.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
What more needs to be said about Pavelka? He stood on his head and anyone who tells me he's not a stud...watch the third period tonight. Hell, watch the entire game. At least two of the goals weren't his fault (Bateman, open cage). Without him, this game is over in the third, no question.
I'm going to say it because I mean it, Pavelka is the best goalie we've had in years. I'd almost go back to the compuware era. Campbell will probably be a good NHL goalie, but for us he never provided the consistent excellence that Pavelka has managed. Even when Campbell was good, you had this bad feeling that he might let one in when you didn't need it. With Pavelka, I feel like there is a brick wall behind him when it needs to be. It will be a crime if Rychel can't use his contacts to find this kid a pro contract somewhere.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
I'm going to say it because I mean it, Pavelka is the best goalie we've had in years. I'd almost go back to the compuware era. Campbell will probably be a good NHL goalie, but for us he never provided the consistent excellence that Pavelka has managed. Even when Campbell was good, you had this bad feeling that he might let one in when you didn't need it. With Pavelka, I feel like there is a brick wall behind him when it needs to be. It will be a crime if Rychel can't use his contacts to find this kid a pro contract somewhere.
Grubauer was a pretty good goalie but yeah its always great to have the speed and skill that we have and whenever we make a mistake we have a goalie that can bail us out.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Section103

Quote:
Last season I wouldn't have agreed with this. This season, he's gone above and beyond any expectations. He'll throw out any orthodox styles to do what's needed to make the save. I love his compete level

On another note, I really wish Aleardi was a year younger

Old
01-20-2013, 07:05 PM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Planning for next year, think we might be able to get Ritchie and/or Cornel from Peter.?
I heard Ritchie wants out, and it seems like only a matter of time before he asks out, too, having a pretty terrible season compared to other rookies and players. They would be great players that could play on basically any line, and Cornel might find his game here. Thoughts?
The problem with ritchie is the fact he has been very injury prone all season and even a bit last year and his shoulders are made out of glass. Cornel has not played at all under pelino, so its not fair to say he has had a terrible season. His season technically began at u17's when pelino got fired. I think they want to wait and see how he does as every other rookie is now a half a season ahead of him. Ritchie could be had at cheaper price but right now he comes across as damage goods imo.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:06 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Last season I wouldn't have agreed with this. This season, he's gone above and beyond any expectations. He'll throw out any orthodox styles to do what's needed to make the save. I love his compete level

On another note, I really wish Aleardi was a year younger

Imagine Aleardi next year as an OA on our Mem. Cup run team.

But then again, if he was a year younger he likely wouldn't have been moved, and we wouldn't have got him for just Lorentz.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan32 View Post
The problem with ritchie is the fact he has been very injury prone all season and even a bit last year and his shoulders are made out of glass. Cornel has not played at all under pelino, so its not fair to say he has had a terrible season. His season technically began at u17's when pelino got fired. I think they want to wait and see how he does as every other rookie is now a half a season ahead of him. Ritchie could be had at cheaper price but right now he comes across as damage goods imo.

I'd take the chance at Ritchie. With the potential he has. What's the price to get him?

Old
01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Section103

Quote:
Imagine Aleardi next year as an OA on our Mem. Cup run team.

But then again, if he was a year younger he likely wouldn't have been moved, and we wouldn't have got him for just Lorentz.
I hear you, but man this kid is good.

He'd make an excellent OA next year

Old
01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post

Old
01-21-2013, 03:00 AM
jughead42

Great picture of Kassian doing what he does. Ben Eager is the victim. Woah!

Old
01-21-2013, 10:46 AM
GangGreen

Great pic Jug!
Kassian is a beast. Scored last night playing with the Sedins, where he belongs. If he stays on that line, I think Lucic-potential. Quickly becoming a fan fave in Vancouver.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
SimonKnightsman

Tampa shuts down Koekoek for remainder of season ? And hasn't anyone asked if this kid was damaged goods. Ritchie might have shoulder issues ut nothing like Slater.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Tampa shuts down Koekoek for remainder of season ? And hasn't anyone asked if this kid was damaged goods. Ritchie might have shoulder issues ut nothing like Slater.
When Koekkoek was with Peterborough he did not miss a game,he was injured sliding into the boards at Belleville
His reinjury is similiar to what happened to Spitfire forward Stephen Alonge,who had shoulder surgery,got hurt in his 1st exb game,and has had surgery again,with a 4-6 month timetable of healing,apparently happens in 20 per cent of cases

Old
01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
When Koekkoek was with Peterborough he did not miss a game,he was injured sliding into the boards at Belleville
His reinjury is similiar to what happened to Spitfire forward Stephen Alonge,who had shoulder surgery,got hurt in his 1st exb game,and has had surgery again,with a 4-6 month timetable of healing,apparently happens in 20 per cent of cases
It's a contact sport, sh_t happens.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
jah65

-it's unfortunate but hopefully he makes a full recovery for next year.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
NHL Fanatic

Nice comeback by the Spits, I really like the way Ho-sang is progressing. Still can't believe he was picked at 5. Hands down steal. KoKo and Aleardi have really given this team new life. I think they will make the playoffs its just a matter of can they reach higher than 8th.

Closed Thread