HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Lasalle and Windsor are not comparable. If you want him to be successful at this level, he needs games at this level.
I would agree,I think his recent lack of activity has alot to do with his recent struggles
his appearance against the Whales was his 1stin 3 weeks less a day,quite a stretch before playing,practicing is much different then game action
Prior to the half way mark of the season his play for the most part was quite good,in alot of games he did not get alot of offensive support,as the team was on many nights having difficulty scoring
Pavelka"s hot hand a 5 game unbeaten streak just before the 7 game diasterious losing streak gave him him little opportunity to play and when he did it was in a relief/mop up role ie the 9-4 loss to London and the 8-3 loss at saginaw just after Christmas,when he got the chance to start he and admittedly the rest of team had a bad start in Sarnia,allowed 4 goals in the 1st period and was yanked
Admittedly he could have played better,but he had alot of help or lack from most of his team mates
After that loss at Sarnia wholesale changes were made at the deadline,resulting in a resurgement that to date with the exception of the Plymouth continues today
Unfortantely for Dekort he got put in against Plymouth,trailing 3-0 and the team playing its worst since the trade deadline
His rustiness showed after the 1st couple of goals and rest is history
Could he have played better,absolutely,did the team play in front absolutely not,dont think its fair to bury the kid
He has been more of a victim of circumstance for the most part more then anything
The team now has to go with the hot hand Pavelka as he has returned to form prior to the 7 game losing streak,where his play was substandard,much like the teams
Now Dekort has to wait for his turn,play the role of a good team mate,which he has that I know,work hard in practice,stay mentally sharp,all not easy to do when u are the number 2 guy
I am sure the Spits wanted to give him more ice pruor to the season starting,but this under achieving group prior to the trade deadline did not allow for that for the most part
Windsor is now in the position of clawing back in playoff race,so every pt is vital,like i said go with the hot hand
Knowing the youngster he is a mature and intelligent guy who knows going on and he will deal with it with a team 1st attitude,in the end I think he will his chance,just dont when,probably later then sooner
DeKort has loads of potential I still think he will be fine

Old
01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Legend, well said, this is not the same team of a month ago, when the probably would've lost that game. They are pulling away from Erie for the final playoff spot and hopefully this continues. KoKo is the bomb for sure. ANy Idea when Marchese is back, that was and still is a decent pick up from Erie ?
Thanks for the kind words,re Marchese Have not heard yet,he is dealing with his 2nd concussion of the season,probably a concern,usually a durable guy
Prior to his 1st concussion he was actually playing pretty well,he had 8 pts in 6 games,since his return play was spotty only scored 3 goals in 15 games before getting hurt again
I agree when things are right he is a pretty useful,probablly the 8th best forward now on the roster with the new additions concerned,in no particular order,Rychel,Koko
Aleardi,Vail,Johnson,Hosang,Giftopoulous would rate ahead of him
Hope they dont have to shut him down too,roster is rayzor thin as they been going with 18 players for almost 2 weeks now
I would sooner have him and Koekkoek in the lineup then out thats for sure
Marchese would tidy up that 3rd line withy Gifty and company,or put him with Rychel and Koko,move Aleardi to Vails line,and HoSang to Giftys line to spread scoring more on all 3 lines
We all know Koekkoek would be the front line D guy,he was really well with Bateman and vice a versa before he went down\
Got to go with what u got I guess,hope they keep the good work going

Old
01-26-2013, 12:16 PM
youngblood10

Dekort will be fine he's only a '95. He's just not ready yet and the constant shellackings are proof of it. Can blame this and that for it but the bottom line is you have to show you can stop the puck. If he was making saves and they felt that they could win with him right now, he would play. But that isn't the case. I don't see what the rush is to force feed Dekort, if he was 19 I could see it but he's not. It's normal for a young goalie to have the roll that he has.

What a different Greyhound team. I'm always amazed at this level what an impact the right coach can have. Impressed that the Spits grabbed some points out of that barn. Spits powerplay continues to give up more goals then the pk. Figure that out.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
jah65

-forward on the point?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Ottomatic

Could we pull a switcheroo with Kuchmey and DeKort? Get DeKort some consistent PT while giving Kuchmey a shot in the OHL?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Hawks3

I agree Kuchemy should have been here from the begining

Old
01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Could we pull a switcheroo with Kuchmey and DeKort? Get DeKort some consistent PT while giving Kuchmey a shot in the OHL?
No,Kuchmey is on a B card can be called up,but DeKort is on an A card and Jr B teams had to finalize there rosters on the 10th of Jan
So to summarize Kuchmey can be called up and play up to 9 games,though with goalies I guess he can dress for 20,but he has to play for it to count re the 9 game rule,plus when his current team is not playing etc
The 1st part of the season Dekort was fine,its only his last couple of appearances that he has struggled,coincidently the team has played bad in front of him too,but i understand as well that he can be better too

Old
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I think you touched upon the issue with DeKort. The team when they struggled couldn't get him much time and now that they are in a fight for a playoff spot they don't have confidence in DeKort. We can talk how DeKort has struggled but it comes back to the organization and how they have never been able to draft and develop a goalie. In regards to goaltending they go all out to make sure they have a goalie to win games with. I don't think Rychel and Boughner can handle the ups and downs involved with developing a goalie. They could have had the chance to develop a goalie with Gleeson in 09-10 but they really wanted to make a run they put their eggs with Unice at first then on to Passingham. Nishi was never going to get that chance with Campbell so that is understandable. The young goalie for Plymouth as a 16 year old has almost played as many minutes as DeKort has in all his OHL career. Plymouth has a good track record of drafting and developing goalies from Neuvirth, Smith, Wedgewood, Mahalak(he's put up decent enough numbers) and now Ndjelkovic. They didn't draft Hackett but they did develop him. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they moved DeKort because it's clear he's not going to work out here. The Spits have played their backup goalie the least out of any team in the OHL, Plymouth is right up there but that's because Corbin started 5 games. I would be fine if the Spits never drafted another goalie, they can find a goalie through trade and just find a Jr B guy to hold the gate open for players.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Rayzor I agree with what u say re goalie development,even Windsor management admits since day 1 the inability to develop a goalie,and u are right about Plymouth though we will disagree about Mahalak,yeah good numbers but the 16 would not have played were it not for inconsistencies,they still have a chance with Dekort because he is only turning 18,if it was going on 19 I say forget it
I did find it odd that the Spits did not draft a goalie with their 17 selections this past draft,most teams do draft 1 a year especially when u have a boatload of picks
Now London may have gone overboard hell they drafted 3 out of 16 selections
Would not surprise though that the spits draft 1 goalie with one of their 14 selections this year
I am of the opinion that a goalie should be developed internally but if u are going to then dont commit to it

Old
01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend I think you touched upon the issue with DeKort. The team when they struggled couldn't get him much time and now that they are in a fight for a playoff spot they don't have confidence in DeKort. We can talk how DeKort has struggled but it comes back to the organization and how they have never been able to draft and develop a goalie. In regards to goaltending they go all out to make sure they have a goalie to win games with. I don't think Rychel and Boughner can handle the ups and downs involved with developing a goalie. They could have had the chance to develop a goalie with Gleeson in 09-10 but they really wanted to make a run they put their eggs with Unice at first then on to Passingham. Nishi was never going to get that chance with Campbell so that is understandable. The young goalie for Plymouth as a 16 year old has almost played as many minutes as DeKort has in all his OHL career. Plymouth has a good track record of drafting and developing goalies from Neuvirth, Smith, Wedgewood, Mahalak(he's put up decent enough numbers) and now Ndjelkovic. They didn't draft Hackett but they did develop him. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they moved DeKort because it's clear he's not going to work out here. The Spits have played their backup goalie the least out of any team in the OHL, Plymouth is right up there but that's because Corbin started 5 games. I would be fine if the Spits never drafted another goalie, they can find a goalie through trade and just find a Jr B guy to hold the gate open for players.
Lets wait until Dekort's done his junior career before we judge the final progress. Matt Hackett wasn't the same goalie at the start of his career as he was at the end of it. The other examples like Gleeson he didn't do anything after he left Windsor actually didn't even want to compete to get an opportunity. Nishi is on like his tenth team in two different leagues so that says something. But Pav has thrived in Windsor after being a throw in.

I think Belleville is better than Plymouth when it comes to producing gems between the pipes.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:33 AM
rt
Powers Gold Label

Who won the Rychel and Hartman fight?

01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Lets wait until Dekort's done his junior career before we judge the final progress. Matt Hackett wasn't the same goalie at the start of his career as he was at the end of it. The other examples like Gleeson he didn't do anything after he left Windsor actually didn't even want to compete to get an opportunity. Nishi is on like his tenth team in two different leagues so that says something. But Pav has thrived in Windsor after being a throw in.

I think Belleville is better than Plymouth when it comes to producing gems between the pipes.
Let's be real here the Spits still want to contend next year and are still pushing for a playoff spot here. If I was to put the over/under on starts for DeKort the rest of the year at 2.5 what would you take it? I am definitely taking the under. So with all that being said the Spits are going to put their eggs in the DeKort basket all of 7 career starts in 2 years? If there are young goalies out there and the Spits start talking to me I tell them to don't draft me because the young goalie will never get a fair shot in Windsor. I said Nishi didn't have much of a chance and I wasn't blaming him because Campbell was around. Remember this is the same organization that didn't have faith in Engelage in 07-08 who dealt to get Neuvirth and then dealt him away for Kovar and made him #1. It worked out in 08-09 for Engelage but the big picture tells you the expectations are extremely high for goaltenders and that's just from the organization.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Let's be real here the Spits still want to contend next year and are still pushing for a playoff spot here. If I was to put the over/under on starts for DeKort the rest of the year at 2.5 what would you take it? I am definitely taking the under. So with all that being said the Spits are going to put their eggs in the DeKort basket all of 7 career starts in 2 years? If there are young goalies out there and the Spits start talking to me I tell them to don't draft me because the young goalie will never get a fair shot in Windsor. I said Nishi didn't have much of a chance and I wasn't blaming him because Campbell was around. Remember this is the same organization that didn't have faith in Engelage in 07-08 who dealt to get Neuvirth and then dealt him away for Kovar and made him #1. It worked out in 08-09 for Engelage but the big picture tells you the expectations are extremely high for goaltenders and that's just from the organization.
Dekort doesn't need to be the man next year. That's the issue I think many have on this board is that he has to be the starting guy in '14 and take the team to the promise land. Championship teams 99% of the time generally roll with 19, OA keepers. They can keep Pavelka or deal for a proven veteran goalie next season if they are in that position. Or maybe with this years experiences under Dekort's belt he comes in a year older, plays lights out and takes that starters roll. Lots of options but next season isn't the end all be all of Dekort's success or failure.

If your a young goalie Windsor isn't the only place you wouldn't get a "fair" shot. Do you not think for a second if a 16 year old came in and gave the team the best chance to win they wouldn't play him? How Windsor is handling Dekort is how the over whelming vast majority of the teams bring young keepers into the league.

Turing back the clock Engelage wasn't ready for the starting roll (even when he was it was debatable) when the organizations made those deals, if you can up grade a position you do it. Also there was more to those deals. Getting Shugg and Mitchell played big in those moves. As usual you have cherry picked examples to make an argument leavening out most of the facts and circumstances involved.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
jughead42*

No kidding, Dekort isn't going to be the man next year they'll probably bring Pavelka back as an OA. We're crying about the future of our backup goalie like it's life or death. The treatment of guys like Engelage, Gleason, and Nishi didn't keep Campbell from reporting, this notion that every move windsor makes is going to make it harder to recruit is just ridiculous. Sky is falling, everyone run! The backup goalie isn't getting enough minutes, our program is screwed!

Old
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Spitsfan67*

Tonight is another must win IMO, with Saginaw and the Soo getting wins last night the Spits have to keep up and to pull a win out as always Pavelka will have to be the best player and the top line has to produce some goals.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Tonight is another must win IMO, with Saginaw and the Soo getting wins last night the Spits have to keep up and to pull a win out as always Pavelka will have to be the best player and the top line has to produce some goals.
Yes the road not getting any easier,the Western Conference as a whole is a dog fite,every time but Erie is over 500 in their last 10 games,though Sarnia after last nites loss is 5-5,Saginaw is 9-1,SSM has garned 19 pts in its last 10 home games going 9-0-0-1 in the process losing only to Windsor,Guelph has won 7 straight including a double dip against Owen SD,London though has come back to reality losers of 4 of their last 5
The Eastern Conference is far different then the West,5 teams are under 500 in their 10 games,and todays opponent Sudbury has not lost in reg since mid Dec,figures Saginaw beats Missy who is 2-8, and Niagara who is 1-7-1-1 in their last 10
It lokks like Jordan Maletta has not helpled that team,in 9 games he has 0 goals,2 assists and is a -7
Including his time in Windsor he has not scored in 38 games

Old
01-27-2013, 02:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
No kidding, Dekort isn't going to be the man next year they'll probably bring Pavelka back as an OA. We're crying about the future of our backup goalie like it's life or death. The treatment of guys like Engelage, Gleason, and Nishi didn't keep Campbell from reporting, this notion that every move windsor makes is going to make it harder to recruit is just ridiculous. Sky is falling, everyone run! The backup goalie isn't getting enough minutes, our program is screwed!
Yes bring back Pavelka and punt your 1st round import pick and have Pavelka take up an import an OA spot. You take shots at me for being doom and gloom but you're driver of the Pavelka bandwagon. It is getting difficult to recruit you see Schmaltz x2, Barber, Allen and Butcher not wanting to touch Windsor.

I realize you forgot this but this is the draft eligible year for DeKort the less he plays the less likely it is he gets drafted. It's funny you tell me the OHL is about developing players but you forget they have a 17 year old goalie who needs time to improve and get drafted. If the Spits miss the playoffs by 1 point or 3 points and DeKort doesn't get a few more games this year was a flat of failure to develop DeKort.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Ottomatic

Snap back to reality. Can't beat Sudbury, falling further being 8th place.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:48 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Yes bring back Pavelka and punt your 1st round import pick and have Pavelka take up an import an OA spot. You take shots at me for being doom and gloom but you're driver of the Pavelka bandwagon. It is getting difficult to recruit you see Schmaltz x2, Barber, Allen and Butcher not wanting to touch Windsor.
Do we not have two import picks this year? Or is that next year?

Old
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
This year ours and Niagara

Old
01-27-2013, 04:32 PM
OHLTG

So, if push comes to shove, offer one up in a deal and have Pavelka be our starter next year.

BTW...what was Sudbury thinking? You slash Emerson Clark off a draw with 7 seconds to go and expect nothing to happen? Ugh.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
So, if push comes to shove, offer one up in a deal and have Pavelka be our starter next year.

BTW...what was Sudbury thinking? You slash Emerson Clark off a draw with 7 seconds to go and expect nothing to happen? Ugh.
there all stupid, i mean wtf is the coaching staff thinking? they should have said no stupid fights in the last couple minuts because with Bowen and Sanvido getting in the same stoppage atleast one is suspended and possible both...so what the **** are they going to do know?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
RayzorIsDull

Defense first philosophy has left the team. Even back to Sarnia where they played a high risk style and got a big comeback. No defense against Plymouth or Sudbury. Starting to think this team has run out of gas, they only have 3-4 forwards going and a couple D playing at a high level. Lost in all the moves at the deadline is the continued poor play of Brady Vail and his 5 goals in the past 27 games. He's been a disappointment this year and part of this core that is supposed to win a championship, his play isn't at a level capable of even making the playoffs.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Yep and you don't want to punt one of them just to keep Pavelka around for an OA year. Niagara is continuing to struggle it's quite possible Windsor will have 2 top 25 import picks. 2 top 25 import picks >>>> Pavelka

Old
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Snap back to reality. Can't beat Sudbury, falling further being 8th place.
who cares about 8th place i mean really, it would be the same thing as last year a sweep and maybe 5 games...

Closed Thread