HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 03:48 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
who cares about 8th place i mean really, it would be the same thing as last year a sweep and maybe 5 games...
You realize we're 2-2 against London this year, right?

Quote:
Yep and you don't want to punt one of them just to keep Pavelka around for an OA year. Niagara is continuing to struggle it's quite possible Windsor will have 2 top 25 import picks. 2 top 25 import picks >>>> Pavelka
You need to think outside the box on this one:

Pavelka = gold right now. He's a major reason we're even hunting for the playoffs.

If you deal Pavelka, you're not going to get his value in return. An OA who takes up an Import spot isn't going to get you much of a return. I'll agree that DeKort has been seriously under-utilized this year, but that just proves my point even more. He's not ready to lead this team to a championship. He HAS that potential, but not right now.

So, you take one of the import picks, with someone or something else, and you trade it for something we could really use next year and possibly the year after. Thus, having a really good import pick along with Pavelka as our two import slots.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

Pavelka = gold right now. He's a major reason we're even hunting for the playoffs.

If you deal Pavelka, you're not going to get his value in return. An OA who takes up an Import spot isn't going to get you much of a return. I'll agree that DeKort has been seriously under-utilized this year, but that just proves my point even more. He's not ready to lead this team to a championship. He HAS that potential, but not right now.

So, you take one of the import picks, with someone or something else, and you trade it for something we could really use next year and possibly the year after. Thus, having a really good import pick along with Pavelka as our two import slots.
They were 3-3 against London last year and that went well.

Pavelka has been fine but lets not get crazy here Windsor has cut the lead against Saginaw by 1 point since the trade deadline and that was with playing 2 more games. Pavelka isn't ready to lead this team to a championship either using that theory since they may not even make the playoffs. That one import pick isn't worth much eg. Windsor moved up to grab Khokhlachev one year and it cost them a 4th round pick. You really want to move an import pick for a middle round ohl draft pick?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post

Pavelka has been fine but lets not get crazy here Windsor has cut the lead against Saginaw by 1 point since the trade deadline and that was with playing 2 more games. Pavelka isn't ready to lead this team to a championship either using that theory since they may not even make the playoffs. That one import pick isn't worth much eg. Windsor moved up to grab Khokhlachev one year and it cost them a 4th round pick. You really want to move an import pick for a middle round ohl draft pick?
No but i would consider trading 2 picks for a top 3 or 6 pick where ever Peterborough and Ottawa are choosing,need to get an impact Euro forward

Old
01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Defense first philosophy has left the team. Even back to Sarnia where they played a high risk style and got a big comeback. No defense against Plymouth or Sudbury. Starting to think this team has run out of gas, they only have 3-4 forwards going and a couple D playing at a high level. Lost in all the moves at the deadline is the continued poor play of Brady Vail and his 5 goals in the past 27 games. He's been a disappointment this year and part of this core that is supposed to win a championship, his play isn't at a level capable of even making the playoffs.
Not sure they have run out of gas yet a bad weekend does not make a season,agree on Vail his production in the 2nd half is a concern

Old
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:

It wouldnt matter if they were 3-1 against London this season when it comes to the playoffs its a whole different game, there a way better team period and they have expierence from going to the mem cup last year...in a seven game series like last year they dont stand a chance at all, an 8th place finish is a very early playoff exit.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yes bring back Pavelka and punt your 1st round import pick and have Pavelka take up an import an OA spot. You take shots at me for being doom and gloom but you're driver of the Pavelka bandwagon. It is getting difficult to recruit you see Schmaltz x2, Barber, Allen and Butcher not wanting to touch Windsor.

I realize you forgot this but this is the draft eligible year for DeKort the less he plays the less likely it is he gets drafted. It's funny you tell me the OHL is about developing players but you forget they have a 17 year old goalie who needs time to improve and get drafted. If the Spits miss the playoffs by 1 point or 3 points and DeKort doesn't get a few more games this year was a flat of failure to develop DeKort.
Not sure I agree about the American player scenario afterall were able to entice Seiloff and Johnson the last 2 years,as for the others,jury still out on Schmaltz and Allen,though I am hearing Schmaltz is leaning towards Windsor,especially his draft year,as for Butcher his rating is going down for NHL draft,not good numbers this year,not worth pursuing in my mind,the older Schmaltz is having a bad year in college,he should have came here,the fact his parents or one of one is a professor may have had sometning to do with it not happening,as for Barber it is known that his mother is ill and her wish was for him to go college,his dad preferred him here
Just painting a balanced picture,most things are situational

Old
01-27-2013, 04:14 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
No but i would consider trading 2 picks for a top 3 or 6 pick where ever Peterborough and Ottawa are choosing,need to get an impact Euro forward
Come on, Legend. No logic allowed in this thread

Quote:
We both know last year and this year are the exact same, right?

Quote:
.in a seven game series like last year they dont stand a chance at all, an 8th place finish is a very early playoff exit.
At least you're giving them a chance.

Quote:
Pavelka isn't ready to lead this team to a championship either using that theory since they may not even make the playoffs.
I'd take Pavelka in a heart-beat in a 7-game series.

Quote:
That one import pick isn't worth much
According to you...

Old
01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
scokan

Quote:

Windsor moved up to grab Khokhlachev one year and it cost them a 4th round pick. You really want to move an import pick for a middle round ohl draft pick?
windsor actually swapped imports with brampton to grab koko and it only cost us a additional 9th while acquiring a a 15th rounder from brampton... not a 4th...
just saying...

Old
01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Not sure I agree about the American player scenario afterall were able to entice Seiloff and Johnson the last 2 years,as for the others,jury still out on Schmaltz and Allen,though I am hearing Schmaltz is leaning towards Windsor,especially his draft year,as for Butcher his rating is going down for NHL draft,not good numbers this year,not worth pursuing in my mind,the older Schmaltz is having a bad year in college,he should have came here,the fact his parents or one of one is a professor may have had sometning to do with it not happening,as for Barber it is known that his mother is ill and her wish was for him to go college,his dad preferred him here
Just painting a balanced picture,most things are situational
I just don't see the risk reward with these american prospects right now. Even Johnson hasn't been that great we have talked about his inconsistency. For every 5 or 6 top american prospects they take maybe they get 1 eg. Sieloff and that's just for 2. With Schmaltz I think you would have to do a huge sell job, you have ice time to sell him with Khokhlachev and Aleardi gone but where is the talent around him? Ho-Sang should improve but you need a guy to put the puck in the net. Ho-Sang, Rychel, Schmaltz and what after that?? A lot of people wouldn't like it but I would look to deal Vail in the offseason he hasn't taken the strides here and a contending team could use him as a decent 2nd/3rd line guy.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
windsor actually swapped imports with brampton to grab koko and it only cost us a additional 9th while acquiring a a 15th rounder from brampton... not a 4th...
just saying...
So the value isn't there to deal the pick. Legend is right if you could deal both to get a top pick but Ottawa only has 1 import returning they would be wise to hang onto what will be a top pick. Monahan, Salituro, Middleton, a possible top pick in Day and then a top 3 import pick and you're building a good nucleus and it can be added if you can move Monahan at the deadline.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
hockeylegend11

The difference in todays game was the goaltending disappointing effort by Pavelka his last 3 goals allowed were soft,getting 4 goals and 47 shots against one of the best goalies in the league in Palazeese and losing is frustrating
The fights in the end totally unneccessary especially with a roster shortened team,and 3 big games coming up this weekend,Peterborough and Guelph x2
Spits will have to bring up 3 or 4 players from La Salle,they dont play Thurs and Friday
I could see Brown,Mccann and Seguin going in,with the possibility of Mitch Graham,and maybe Ryan Watson from Stratford,have to see who will be suspended thinking 2 or 3 guys

Old
01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I just don't see the risk reward with these american prospects right now. Even Johnson hasn't been that great we have talked about his inconsistency. For every 5 or 6 top american prospects they take maybe they get 1 eg. Sieloff and that's just for 2. With Schmaltz I think you would have to do a huge sell job, you have ice time to sell him with Khokhlachev and Aleardi gone but where is the talent around him? Ho-Sang should improve but you need a guy to put the puck in the net. Ho-Sang, Rychel, Schmaltz and what after that?? A lot of people wouldn't like it but I would look to deal Vail in the offseason he hasn't taken the strides here and a contending team could use him as a decent 2nd/3rd line guy.
My feeling is the Spits will put the full court press on Schmaltz and Allen,forget about Butcher,hope Washington signs Barber,I would still considering going after Tony Calderone who has scored 19 goals as a rookie in the USHL,though he has 4.0 gpa and is headed to Princeton,he is a 94 born winger who can score
Not sure we get him but worth the shot

Old
01-27-2013, 04:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
The difference in todays game was the goaltending disappointing effort by Pavelka his last 3 goals allowed were soft,getting 4 goals and 47 shots against one of the best goalies in the league in Palazeese and losing is frustrating
The fights in the end totally unneccessary especially with a roster shortened team,and 3 big games coming up this weekend,Peterborough and Guelph x2
Spits will have to bring up 3 or 4 players from La Salle,they dont play Thurs and Friday
I could see Brown,Mccann and Seguin going in,with the possibility of Mitch Graham,and maybe Ryan Watson from Stratford,have to see who will be suspended thinking 2 or 3 guys
I was reading from Jim Parker that they called up Brown for the roadtrip but per his words he couldn't play due to being up against the limit for games played. So will he even be called up for Thursday?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Libbs

Quote:
And my goldfish swims in circles!

OH sorry... I thought we were talking about things that didn't matter. My bad...

Here's the bottom line: we are out of a playoff spot! If Pavelka was good or bad is completely irrelevant at this point.

For a team that had aspirations to compete for a championship in 2014, laying an egg the year before doesn't say much for the quality of the roster/core. And I think we can all agree that even attempting to make the comparison to the 2010-2011 OS Attack (who missed the playoffs then won the OHL Championship) is futile because that was an exception, not the norm. That OS roster has 10x the amount of talent then this version of the Spitfires.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Ottomatic

The donnybrook is on Boughner - look at who he put out. Clark will be gone 10 games now - league doesn't suffer OA goons.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:37 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
The donnybrook is on Boughner - look at who he put out. Clark will be gone 10 games now - league doesn't suffer OA goons.
All Clark got was a double minor during the brawl,Verbeek got major for fighting,match for deliberate attempt to injure,a game misc for being 2nd fite,Bowen got 5 for fighting and Sanvido got 5 and a game for being the second fite
All in all Sanvido will get a 2 susp and Verbeek at least 4 if not more for the match and the 2nd fite
I cant say that I saw or know what he did to get the match

Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I was reading from Jim Parker that they called up Brown for the roadtrip but per his words he couldn't play due to being up against the limit for games played. So will he even be called up for Thursday?
Although Brown has played 5 games,I believe none count because all were incurred during the jr trials and tournament
He can only play 9 games until his team is eliminated from their playoffs,so they are being mindful when to put him in

Old
01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
All Clark got was a double minor during the brawl,Verbeek got major for fighting,match for deliberate attempt to injure,a game misc for being 2nd fite,Bowen got 5 for fighting and Sanvido got 5 and a game for being the second fite
All in all Sanvido will get a 2 susp and Verbeek at least 4 if not more for the match and the 2nd fite
With the Spits already being shorthanded in regards to healthy forwards it will be a big test with 2 games against Guelph and all the depth they have at forward. They need to beat Peterborough and split Guelph at minimum. You would think Saginaw would beat Peterborough and they have Soo so that game doesn't help Windsor regardless.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:45 PM
hockeylegend11

spits

Yes they need to get at least 4 or 5 pts next weekend,won't be easy,it will be interesting,goaltending needs to improve esp Pavelka,I thought he let the team down today

Quote:
With the Spits already being shorthanded in regards to healthy forwards it will be a big test with 2 games against Guelph and all the depth they have at forward. They need to beat Peterborough and split Guelph at minimum. You would think Saginaw would beat Peterborough and they have Soo so that game doesn't help Windsor regardless.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
W4TW2

Here is a youtube video of the fight at the end of the Sudbury game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9342zOTzYc

Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
According to the statsheet - http://media.ontariohockeyleague.com...?game_id=18817, Clark got a misconduct-abuse of official (39.4)

Old
01-27-2013, 09:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
According to the statsheet - http://media.ontariohockeyleague.com...?game_id=18817, Clark got a misconduct-abuse of official (39.4)
Yes i saw that,was not on the original listing,was shortly thereafter,dont think it result in a suspension,otherwise he would have been given a game misc

Old
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
And my goldfish swims in circles!

OH sorry... I thought we were talking about things that didn't matter. My bad...

Here's the bottom line: we are out of a playoff spot! If Pavelka was good or bad is completely irrelevant at this point.

For a team that had aspirations to compete for a championship in 2014, laying an egg the year before doesn't say much for the quality of the roster/core. And I think we can all agree that even attempting to make the comparison to the 2010-2011 OS Attack (who missed the playoffs then won the OHL Championship) is futile because that was an exception, not the norm. That OS roster has 10x the amount of talent then this version of the Spitfires.
Good post, part of me thinks the best thing for this organization would be to miss the playoffs. If you miss the playoffs it may force the organization to look at things top to bottom from scouts, who they draft, coaching staff and current players that are not performing.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
jah65

-at least Libbs can root for the Mooseheads... we can move on to the Tigers

Old
01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnintecumseh View Post
-at least Libbs can root for the Mooseheads... we can move on to the Tigers
Reading from afar I hate to say it but this club looks alot like the Maple Leafs.....always doing just enough to hover around that last playoff spot rather than burning it down and starting a rebuild.

Ooops, hamstrung without draft picks the next few year so that won't work! Tough spot currently.

Closed Thread