Old
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
ESPN had us at 24th in the league....wtf
ESPN and hockey... two things that just don't mix.

INTOTHEVOID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's difficult to know what to make out of this team based on so many new factors and the shortened season. Don't blame anyone for under or overselling but like everyone else, anything short of the playoffs is going to be disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Its not so much underdogs as it is everyone still thinking we play the trap.
They'll be shocked in 7 years when they discover Minnesota signs both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Karl

I just find it amazing that numerous fans and even media members think all the Wild did was copy the Rangers plan of buying talent. They ignore that Chuck Fletcher and his team have busted their *** rebuilding the team and more importantly their prospects after Doug Risebrough drove this franchise into the ground. It is really quite remarkable the job they have done.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I just find it amazing that numerous fans and even media members think all the Wild did was copy the Rangers plan of buying talent. They ignore that Chuck Fletcher and his team have busted their *** rebuilding the team and more importantly their prospects after Doug Risebrough drove this franchise into the ground. It is really quite remarkable the job they have done.
Haters gonna hate.

The Wild step out of line when they signed Parise and Suter. We aren't supposed to be able to do that.

There are people who are going to root for those signing to backfire, because they wanted them instead.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Haters gonna hate.

The Wild step out of line when they signed Parise and Suter. We aren't supposed to be able to do that.

There are people who are going to root for those signing to backfire, because they wanted them instead.
I remember people reactions that they signed in Minnesota. First it was " Minnesota really why would they sign there when Parsie could be on Crosby's line in Pittsburgh and Suter could be in Detroit on a perennial winning franchise?"

After that came the bitterness of fans of the Devils and Predators and also teams that hate the Wild as you said hoping this explodes in our face. I hope this team proves them wrong this year and makes a deep playoff run.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
You have to take into consideration how difficult it is to dramatically improve in one season. Just look at how bad the Wild was last year. Goals for: The Wild weren't just last, they were historically bad. The Wild also was third-worst in goal differential, narrowly avoiding last place. Lowest shots per game. 4th-worst shots against. 4th-worst powerplay. 2nd-worst points percentage when scoring first. 6th-worst points percentage when leading after 2 periods. 2nd-worst 5 on 5 goal differential. It's hard to take that and all of a sudden be really good in just one year. Suter and Parise are very good players, but they aren't superstars.

You also have to add in (everything in 82 game terms for better understanding)

We got Parise: a 75 point player and 30 goal scorer who can do it all.
We got Suter: a 40 point defenseman that can run a PP and do it all.
We got Granlund: a 50 point rookie that will certainly contribute and make us deeper

We have a bevy of prospects that will be called up, Zucker, Coyle, Larsson etc..that noo offense (Warrin Peters) will do a much better job offensively than did the call ups last year.

Also if were getting a healthy PMB: thats another 50 point player

Oh and a Healthy Koivu is a 70 point player

Last but not least throw in a Healthy Danny Heatley who isn't the only offensive weapon and can skate without 3 guys pasted to him. Thats at the LEAST a 30 goal scorer.

I think you will be surprised at just how improved our offense turns out to be..as long as Stoner, Falk, Scandella, Spurgeon can play defense this team will be just fine.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I remember people reactions that they signed in Minnesota. First it was " Minnesota really why would they sign there when Parsie could be on Crosby's line in Pittsburgh and Suter could be in Detroit on a perennial winning franchise?"

After that came the bitterness of fans of the Devils and Predators and also teams that hate the Wild as you said hoping this explodes in our face. I hope this team proves them wrong this year and makes a deep playoff run.
Imo Predator fans were just really dissapointed in Suter's decision but Devils' fans started raving about overpayment and calling Parise a grinder who can't shoot etc etc..

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

* Looks at name. Disappointed by post.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
nickschultzfan

We are making the playoffs. Any team that has a legit 1st line and decent goaltending makes the playoffs.

How deep that playoff run is depends on how the 2nd and 3rd lines and #3-#5 Dmen play.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I guess I just don't see any team in the league that is a lock to be in the playoffs given how the format is going to play out. Go on a 5+ game skid and you're done. Every game is within the conference and with the loser point, it's going to be incredibly hard to make up ground.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Imo Predator fans were just really dissapointed in Suter's decision but Devils' fans started raving about overpayment and calling Parise a grinder who can't shoot etc etc..
I think I misspoke about Predator fans which I apologize to them, because I believe you are right that they were disappointed and rightfully so.I had the same feelings when Gabby left. Devil fans though were pretty bad and spiteful. I believe the term "Man Child" was thrown around a bit....

Old
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I guess I just don't see any team in the league that is a lock to be in the playoffs given how the format is going to play out. Go on a 5+ game skid and you're done. Every game is within the conference and with the loser point, it's going to be incredibly hard to make up ground.
Which is why I hope this team gels fast and gets off to a hot start, and they have no more than a two game losing steak all season.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
I was being a little coy. Nothing in life is certain.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
His post would've been disappointing even if it were in all caps. Parise is the best natural left winger in the game. If you don't agree with that, you'd have to agree that he's top three. Not "top five, maybe."

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Out: Nick Johnson, Warren Peters, Nick Schultz, Zidlicky, Staubitz and Christensen (to name a few)

In: Suter, Parise, Granlund, Gilbert, Mitchell, Konopka

I don't know how anybody can say were aren't markedly better.
There ya go.

If the Wild stay healthy, they are as just about as good as anybody.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Hypno Toad

Quote:
Surely you can't be talking about my username. Surely you cannot be talking about...

Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Surely you can't be talking about my username. Surely you cannot be talking about...

It's just not the same without sound

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Razor29
0-0-0

vCash: 50
Forgive me if I am wrong but weren't the Wild sitting in the top 3 or something like that at least for the first half of the season until all those injuries?

Your team should make the playoffs this year.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Forgive me if I am wrong but weren't the Wild sitting in the top 3 or something like that at least for the first half of the season until all those injuries?
#1 in December and then the greatest collapse in the history of NHL.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed...I also believe that great goaltending will be vital over the shortened season for teams to make the postseason.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Sixbladeknife

Hockey Prospectus' statistical projection has Wild at 22nd-24th.

Quote:
For the Wild to make the playoffs, they will need
to completely avoid injuries, especially to their still
talent-thin bottom six, have some rapid development
among the five young defensemen that play behind
Suter and Gilbert, have another hot and lucky start
(which hopefully won’t fool anyone this time), and
most importantly, see a significant improvement in
their possession-based play—an improvement not
likely to come until they find more players capable
of keeping the team above-water while playing the
tough minutes.
I don't think that's an unreasonable analysis. Suter and Parise alone won't make the Wild a playoff team. Granlund and possibly the other youngsters could help a lot with the depth and possession problems, though.

This team has a promising future ahead of it, but one shouldn't expect miracles right away.

Sixbladeknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:54 AM
nickschultzfan

Wild were a playoff team last year before the massive injuries hit. With zero off-season moves, they would be in the mix just by the law of averages.

Now add a top-5 LW, top-10 Dman, a top-6 center, and replace a bunch of AHL scrubs with legit NHL depth players.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbladeknife View Post
Hockey Prospectus' statistical projection has Wild at 22nd-24th.

I don't think that's an unreasonable analysis. Suter and Parise alone won't make the Wild a playoff team. Granlund and possibly the other youngsters could help a lot with the depth and possession problems, though.

This team has a promising future ahead of it, but one shouldn't expect miracles right away.
Anything else than playoffs is major dissaointment.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:03 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I don't get it. Before the injuries they we're playing great hockey. Disciplined and smart hockey. I don't see luck playing a part in it. Add Parise, Suter and Granlund + depth, you shouldn't expect anything less than a playoff spot.

E: Wow... Am I that slow of a typer?

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Sixbladeknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Anything else than playoffs is major dissaointment.
It always is. I'm just saying that if you think that a team that, last season, was 14 points away from the playoffs with the third-worst goal differential in the league, should be a surefire playoff team, you ought to think twice how realistic your expectations are.

The Wild could very well make the playoffs, but in my opinion they're going to need a bit of overachievement and/or luck to do so.

Last edited by Sixbladeknife: 01-10-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: typo
Sixbladeknife is offline   Reply With Quote